Whisenhunt Sirius-ly talks QBs

Posted by Darren Urban on June 20, 2011 – 1:47 pm

Coach Ken Whisenhunt was on Sirius XM NFL radio today with Adam Schein and Rich Gannon, talking not only about his upcoming trip to the Persian Gulf, but also his team. Not surprisingly, he was asked about the quarterback situation. Also not surprisingly, no names were specifically mentioned, save for John Skelton, whom the coach did not rule out as potential 2011 QB. Whisenhunt did say, however, the Cards will be adding a quarterback (of course) and that when the labor stoppage ends, the Cards will be ready and need to be ready to make a move quickly.

As for who, “We are going to get the best player we can get based on how we have them rated,” Whisenhunt said, “and then we will have to adjust (the playbook) based on what kind of time frame we are looking at.” Whiz added later, “If you had a chance to get a young quarterback you think could develop into a great player for you for a decade, as opposed to a veteran player you think could come in and help you right now, you’ve got to go with your evaluation and the player you have rated higher.”

Could that mean Kevin Kolb? It could, but obviously, lots of room for speculation, since it’s impossible to know how the Cards have the (potential available) QBs ranked. Whisenhunt said a labor stoppage into August “possibly could” affect what quarterback the Cardinals chase. But “let’s say your number one(-rated) player is a player you think can help that position for  a long time to come, you’ve got to take that shot. It’s hard to find a guy to play that position in this league. … Whether that player is already on the team, I don’t know.”

Whiz said he still “feels good” about Skelton. He also wouldn’t touch the recent comparison of Kolb to Tom Brady, made by current Kolb teammate/Eagles defensive end Trent Cole. All Whisenhunt has, he said, was evaluation from game video and what little he had gleaned talking about Kolb with people before the lockout started.

A few other tidbits from the interview:

– Whisenhunt said the Cards are “going to pick our spots” in free agency. The successful teams he has been a part of historically build teams through the draft and add a couple of critical free agents. That isn’t going to change. “We’re not going to go overboard,” Whisenhunt said, adding “it’s always good when you can get a couple of free agents who can make an impact not only as a player but as a leader.” The Cards will “aggressively pursue” what is needed to return to the playoffs, he said.

– Based on the length of the labor stoppage and how long teams will have training camp, the Cards have a number of different installation plans for their playbook, and the Cards are ready to pare down the playbook depending on prep time for the season. Probably obvious, but always interesting to hear.

– As for the doubters about the in-flux offensive line, “quite frankly, I like what I hear about our offensive line being poor and not being able to play very well because that’s going to motivate our guys.”

Tags: , , , , ,

21 Responses to “Whisenhunt Sirius-ly talks QBs”

1. By Mark in Chandler on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Obviously a QB is the first Free Agency Priority. Whiz mentioned they would target a few FA that would make an impact but not that many. Outside of QB who do you think the Cards will sign who would make an inpact? They will resign several of thier own starters (i.e. Breaston and Sendlein- maybe Lutui) and they will look for depth as well (Adams, safety depth on OL, NT), but will they sign someone who will make an impact as a starter and if so at what position? LT? TE? OG? Any thoughts?

Also Whiz mentioned that he felt they had a couple of good FBs. Was that a hint that they intend to go back to the 2 FB 3 RB system? and if so who would be the other FB other than Sherman? Boughton?

2. By Darren Urban on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Mark —

RE: I could see possibly a guard or TE. Maybe an ILB or OLB. Some will depend on the status of their own free agents and whether they return.

Maybe Broughton. Housler was an H-back in college; he may be used in the backfield some.

3. By Brad ONeill on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

I wonder who out there is targeting our guys? I honestly am far more worried about losing breaston or Lutui than I am worried about us not getting at least a servicable option at qb. Skelton seemed to progress and as much as this lockout is hurting his growth he is smart enough to spend all summer looking at his game tapes and matching them up to the playbook.

4. By D on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Sounds to me Whiz is downplaying the need to fill holes in the starting line-up or he thinks he is going to resign some of his current free agents-clearly, QB, G, TE, OLB and even ILB needs addressed. That appears more than a couple additions to me. Not to mention possible off tackle and backup def tackle.

5. By Peter in Canada on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

As soon as the lockout is settled Cole should be tested for substance abuse, unless of course he admits he was just B.S.ing. I still believe in Whiz/Graves and feel they will get the best available QB at the best price. I will grant them a mulligan on the D.A. fiasco because he was only supposed to be a back up.

It was Leinart that really was the problem and I feel he should have foreseen it. They were together long enough. My mind goes back to Warner’s refusal to give Leinart a whole hearted seal of approval as the starter shortly after his retirement. Several posters complained about that calling him unChristian but it was so prophetic.

6. By ross on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren, happy belated father’s day.

7. By Sackman on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren

We all know who is going to be available for Quarterback when the free agency frenzy hits, and I mean it’s going to hit fast and furious when it happens. But, when it comes to the Offensive line available players why is it we here of no names that we might be interested in? We want names!
    We know whom the options at Quarterback are, but we don’t know on OL. Parkay?

8. By Eazy E on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

I heard that trent cole crazyness yesterday, kolb isn’t brady in any aspect, move on with that. I knew we weren’t going to be aggressive, unfortunately that is typical cards.

9. By Darren Urban on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Ross —

RE: Fathers Day

Thanks. I appreciate that.

10. By Darren Urban on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Sackman —

RE: FA OL

Until we know what the rules will be, we can’t know who will be available.

11. By Steve on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren: Could you see a scenario where the Eagles ask for DRC straight up for Kolb? Would the Cards even consider doing such a deal in your opinion?

12. By Darren Urban on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Kolb/DRC

I could see the Eagles asking for a lot of stuff. No, I don’t see the Cards making that deal.

13. By Haggis Bob on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

The O-Line SUX! Fire them all! Bunch a lazy bums… ;) heh

14. By Haggis Bob on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

I just saw an emoticon in my post … say it ain’t so Darren

15. By Jeff Gollin on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

Mucho talko. Little sayo.”

(And that’s the way it should be).

16. By Chris B on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

If I’m the Cards I have to ask myself some serious questions. One- how badly do I want a QB? If I get Kolb for a first round pick, is that too much? How badly do I want a pass rusher? enough to chance Lamar Woodley? He’d definitely be worth a first rounder: young and proven, no gamble about it. How badly do I want a TE? Zach Miller will get paid by Oak, but how much is he worth? Most likely they will have 2009 rules on FA meaning 4yrs for UFA. These are some good football players that suddenly become available.
    I agree with Brad- how badly will some of our guys be pursued? Namely Breaston, Hightower, Sendlien and Lutui. I sure hope they have deals already set for some of these guys so all they have to do is sign on the dotted line (as much as posible anyway).

17. By Joeshmo on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

I am usually not one to bash “coach speak”, and I know I am just a arm chair QB and all, but the OL just does not pass the eye ball test. Especially after the damning articles and pass protection stats from profootballfocus concerning Levi Brown.

So this is concerning Wiz liking people talking bad about the OL becuase it will motivate them.

Havent people been talking bad about the OL every single year since Wiz has been in the Valley? What makes Wiz think it will finally motivate them this year when it hasnt in the past?

18. By Sean on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

@Easy E

I dont understand your statement, “I knew we (the Cards) were not going to be aggressive”.

Are you suggesting that the Cards have no interest in Kolb or are you concerned that we are not going after Tom Brady?

19. By drummer-1 on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

@Easy E….

How can you be aggresive if you can’t even talk to players at this time.. A little too quick to judge are we..

20. By Scott H on Jun 22, 2011 | Reply

While I don’t want to see the cardinals take a reckless Dan Snyder type approach to free agency, I WOULD like to see a bit more “aggressiveness” than we’ve seen in the past, especially last year. Seemed like things moved too slowly and I can’t exactly say that patience was a good thing. Somewhere between Dan Snyder and last year would be nice. I’m still hoping Kolb will land here but at this point, I just wanna know who our QB is gonna be.

2. Jun 20, 2011: Whisenhunt talks about upcoming quarterback hunt | E. OVERSTREET SPORTS MANAGEMENT