The DRC speculation

Posted by Darren Urban on June 23, 2011 – 1:43 pm

So the latest speculation — because again, that’s all that’s available right now — is that the Cardinals could end up with Kevin Kolb as their quarterback by trading not a draft pick but cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. That was the talk a couple of days ago on Philadelphia radio station WIP (H/T to Paul Calvisi and Dave Burns on Sports 620 KTAR for the heads-up) and frankly, it’s not the first time DRC’s name has come up in such speculation. Around the draft, people were spitballing the idea the Cards would send Patrick Peterson to Philly for Kolb, and that morphed into DRC.

Some of that is connecting of the dots. The Cards need a QB and most assume Kolb is the most reasonable target. The Eagles need a cornerback. The Eagles won’t benefit from a draft pick this season, so maybe a player is a better choice. And there is no doubting that DRC’s game — at this point — doesn’t exactly fit the mentality of new defensive coordinator Ray Horton.

All that said, I would be surprised if such a deal was made.

To begin with, the Cards, who have been looking to solidify their third cornerback spot, finally seem to have that lined up with Peterson, DRC and Greg Toler. That becomes an issue all over again if DRC is dealt. Peterson hasn’t even proven he can play cornerback yet — remember, there are some who think he’ll be better suited as a safety, a la Antrel Rolle — and giving up the team’s best current corner is a pretty big risk in today’s pass-happy NFL. Also, for whatever DRC’s faults might be, his resume is still more complete than Kolb.

Finally, this kind of talk — that the Cards are “close” to getting Kolb — seems so out of place. In theory, such discussions have been on hold for such a long time I don’t see how anything could be nailed down. If the Eagles want to let Kolb go, would they rather have DRC than a draft pick? That makes a lot of sense. It also doesn’t mean the Cards would be willing to do it. Could they? I suppose. There is little question that the lure of getting a good quarterback (assuming, of course, that’s how the Cards see Kolb) could be too strong to resist, despite such a price.

DRC talked, in that brief window when he came to the facility back before the draft when the lockout was lifted for a matter of hours, that he had gained muscle and was ready to take on Horton’s new defense. I still think the plan is to revamp DRC and make him a part of potentially a very good cornerback corps.

I also still think that we’re going to continue to talk about stuff like this until the labor deal is settled and we know for whom Kolb is going to play in 2011.

Tags: , , , , ,

79 Responses to “The DRC speculation”

1. By justin on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, could you elaborate on what about DRC’s game does not translate well to Horton’s scheme?

2. By John on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

Ugh…I hope this is not true.

3. By Darren Urban on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

Justin —

RE: DRC/Horton

Mainly, Horton loves defensive backs who are physical and who tackle well. Safe to say that doesn’t play to DRC’s strengths right now.

4. By Christian Guy on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

I defiantly think we should trade a draft pick rather then DRC. DRC has proven him self to the team, as a draft pick is more of a gamble. I would hate to see DRC go, but at the same time, we do need a quarter back, and I believe Kolb would be the best fit here.

5. By Mark, in Chandler on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

My feelings on DRC are well documented. His soft approach to the game makes my teeth hurt. However, there is no denying he is an above average cover guy and would be of high value to the Cardinals and the new defense which would underscore your point. That said, two things are worth noting which may give this rumor credence. 1-Pittsburgh has had poor cover corners but still have done well as a defense. (McFadden and Taylor just to name a few). I think Horton does not feel a need to have a top tier cover corner in order for his defense to dominate. 2-It struck me as odd that when Whizenhunt spoke in Sirius, he mentioned young players that he feels are up and comers and that he is excited they have gotten playing time and thinks they will continue to progress and have an impact. The regulars (Williams, Washington etc…) were mentioned, and in that group was Toler. I thought it was odd that Whiz would mention a corner who, in all likelihood was going from a #2 corner to a #3 corner. Even before hearing this DRC-Trade rumor, the fact that Whiz went out of his way to mention Toler struck me as odd. I am not saying it is the smoking gun but it does make you stop and think.

“Small guys that can tackle”. Peterson-yes, Adams-yes. Toler-yes. DRC-…? I’m just saying….

6. By Lkaw on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

I’d hate to see him go, he and Fitzgerald are my favorite players

7. By Anand Patel on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Could this be that the Cards could be targeting Ike Taylor from Pittsburgh who is a FA. This would give Horton the type of physical CB he is looking for while Peterson, Toler, Adams round out the group?

8. By eric on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

do the deal. drc has been very inconsistent since he has been here and our rush defense which is already questionable is that much worse with a “softy” like drc. besides he has shown me talent only thusfar he has no leadership qualities which is what we need!

9. By D on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

DRC isn’t going anywhere. If Philly wants a starter from AZ or a first round pick, I say the Cards should call Denver and go hard after Orten

10. By Lional on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

I’d rather take my chances with Skelton and keep DRC…. We need to keep building a strong defense, not start over again…

11. By Dom on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

DRC isn’t physical and doesn’t tackle might just be the understatement of the century!!! LOL
    He was TERRIBLE last year!!
    DRC is NOT the “shutdown corner” most people make him out to be. Just watch any of the playoff games from the year the Cards went to the Super Bowl. Especially the 4th qtr in the NFC championship game against the Eagles and the final drive by the Steelers in the Super Bowl. You will see DRC quitting on plays, avoiding contact & running away from tackles!
    OVERRATED!
    Cardinals PLEEEEEEASE make this trade as soon as you can!

12. By Chris on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

I don’t care what any of you say this is a TERRIBLE IDEA. If you want to piss you fan base off go ahead and entertain it….

13. By Chris on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

Oh and I WILL NOT RENEW MY TICKETS IF YOU MAKE THIS TRADE… PERIOD

14. By tom on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

darren,

i will seriously be so mad if we trade our pro bowl cb who is top 5 fastest guys in the game and a beast cover corner for an unknown 2nd round backup qb…. i know drc had a down year but i feel that it was an aberation seeing as his first year was good and his next year was unreal. i think he lost focus but with our 4 cbs double p and drc ill be one of the best cb duos and toler will be one of the better nickels and adams is a physical guy as well! thats a great cb corps…. anyway in closing i guess what i wanna know is what do you want the cards to do with drc?

15. By Shaun Church on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

With reference to DRC, he says he’s put on about 8 pounds this off season and intends to be a better tackler. I hope so, because he was weak last season.

16. By Darren Urban on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

Anand —

RE: Ike taylor

All things are possible. I wouldn’t rule that out, necessarily.

17. By Darren Urban on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

Tom —

RE: DRC future

In my opinion, I would rather them deal a pick for a QB than DRC. DRC had his problems last season but it feels like you are helping one area by hurting another with that trade.

18. By Andy on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

I really hope they don’t deal DRC. He did have a down year last year, but he has HOF type talent if he gets his head right, and he is a playmaker who has won games for us in the past and will probably continue too. That’s too much to part with imo.

19. By cheesebeef on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

height of stupidity to trade DRC for Kolb. the eagles are up the creek having to get something for him… we shouldn’t bend over to make it happen. offer picks, 2 2nds, get it done and actually ADD to your nucleus, don’t rob peter to pay paul. that’s the kind of idiocy this team has excelled at for years… thus, i completely expect it to happen since the mouth of sauron (that’s my new nickname for you Daren ;) ) has already started laying track for why a two time pro-bowl CB will be offed “because he doesn’t fit the new defensive coordinators system… “yeah, coodrinators hate a guy with skills good enough to shut down and entire half of the field.

20. By Chris on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

You know what’s funny about this is Reid and his staff are already hyping their QB that they took in last year’s draft calling him the best rookie QB they have ever seen. Any bets they will be trading him in another two years?

21. By bobcat44 on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

like the Houston game where he sealed the game with the pick with a cast on his hand

22. By Darren Urban on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

Cheese —

RE: DRC trade

Personally, I agree that I wouldn’t make the trade. But to sit here and make it sound like DRC has been the second coming of Champ Bailey — at least thus far — is disingenuous. It’s not like you’d be trading Fitz for Kolb.

I’d like to think I’m not about PR spin, either. I haven’t talked to anyone about DRC lately, and certainly not in connection to a trade. But if you can’t see that a) DRC was terrible in tackling last season and b) Horton clearly wants DBs that tackle and c) those two things could eventually conflict, then you are drinking some kool-aid. As I mentioned, I think they should give DRC a chance to work in his game. However, having skills to shut down half the field and actually shutting down half the field are two separate things.

23. By Rudy on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

I would HATE to see DRC leave. he is the most famous, fastest, and best catcher the Cardinals have on defense. This is like his 3rd or 4th year and he’s already been a pro bowler. Imagine him working out more and learning. He’ll be the Larry Fitzgerald of the defense. Kolb has also been consistently unreliable. The Eagles spent so much money on him and he let them down. I say CALL DENVER.

24. By Brandon on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

Can you say Nhamdi?!?!

25. By Lynn on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

I’d make the trade in a heartbeat. Unless or until they start playing with flags, DRC will be ineffective. He is what he is, an adequate cover guy, who is not as good as he thinks his talent is, and who will not stick his nose in. I’d be surprised if any defense can afford a cornerback who will not force the play inside or take on the blocker/runner at the point of attack.

26. By cactus jeff on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

WOW you have changed your tune on this speculation. I told you this was the plan after listiening to Wisenhunt on the radio…They asked him how it feels to have potentially 2 shut down corners and he said we had 3, Greg Toler. I wrote you and said this was the plan and i was right…Again (remember Dan Williams being a bust) I am 2 for 2.

Hey Cardinals, you can hire me if you want to help you assess talent. Ahhh lets see your first tier players are Dansby, FItz, and DRC. 2nd tier are Dockett, Boldin. Whoops too late.
    THEN THERE WAS 2 LEFT

27. By Eazy E on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

This is a joke! They aint trading a pro bowl cb in drc for an unproven and no better than alex smith qb in kolb. Would be a very dumb move. Don’t trade anything higher than a 3rd for him. Their are much better and proven qbs out there(McNabb, VY, Palmer if they trade him).1st Round pick for him is laughable. Whoever does that are getting punked by andy reid joe banner and co.

28. By Chris on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

This just has disaster written all over it. If they do decide to go through with it, that leaves two guys at the corners with very little in the way of NFL experience. Now, if we were going after an Aaron Rodgers or a Peyton Manning I can understand having to give up more to get more. I just don’t see the advantage to taking a chance like that on a guy who has put up a few games with impressive numbers but doesn’t have much in the way of a steady track record. I know we have an immediate need for a QB but I hope they resist the temptation to bring one in at any price.

29. By Darren Urban on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

Cactus —

RE: DRC “plan”

Wow, don’t break your arm patting yourself on the back there.

Last I checked, a) Dan Williams wasn’t a bust — way too early to tell what he is, unless you’re doing knee-jerk analysis — and b) DRC is still on this roster and c) I said I’d be surprised if this trade happened. Exactly how have I changed my tune? I said before DRC wouldn’t be traded, and I still don’t think he’d be dealt. It’d be good, before you declare yourself right on these subjects that, you know, you were actually right.

30. By Rugbymuffin on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

To all those claiming DRC to be a good cover CB, I would like to know the proof of such a statement.

DRC has regressed since coming into the NFL, and I don’t have a lot of confidence he will succeed in Horton’s defense. The guy hasn’t laid a hit on anyone since his injury, and if he is not going to hit, he better cover. With his coverage he is out of focus, and gets caught off guard way too much.

DRC, Peterson, and Toler may be the most over-hyped, and under productive CB in the NFL. Peterson is a rookie, Toler regressed last year, and DRC is…well see above.

Whether this trade would be good or not is another subject, but this DRC is great thing is ridiculous. Potential does not make a person great, it is production.

31. By Peter in Canada on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

I hope they don’t make the trade. As Bobcat says DRC is a playmakerwith the potential to be great. The Card CB’s are handicapped by a poor pass rush. I think the pass rush is why the Pittsburgh corners got by.Many CB’s are not good tacklers (Sanders). The defensive co-ordinator should be flexible enough to build the defence around the skills of his players within reason. It doesn’t make much sense to move DRC and bring in a corner who can tacke but can’t cover.

32. By JoeVero on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

Is there a reason why they can’t keep negotiating for Kolb with the Eagles now? They wouldn’t be talking to the players.

33. By Darren Urban on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

JoeVero —

RE: Kolb talks now

The NFL isn’t allowing any player discussion between teams while the labor situation is ongoing.

34. By Chris B on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

I can see Toler and a lower draft pick. But DRC for a unproven QB? Hmm… Whiz won’t start a rookie, so week 1 our starting CB will be Adams and Toler. How does this make us better?
    This move is stupid and unless the front office plans on shipping DRC out and bring in Nhamdi, they won’t do this. As others have said, Orton or some other Qb is out there. Kolb isn’t that good to have Toler and Adams as our CBs. Our offense would have to score 65 pts per games just to keep it interesting.

35. By Leslie on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

How was DRC supposed to shine in last season, nobody really stood out last season. I think he has what it takes. But Fitz wants Kolb, and DRC goes to a great team.

36. By seven q on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

KEEP DRC! TRADE A DRAFT PICK. “.”

37. By Mario on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

What ever happens…I don’t want anymore steeler castoffs! Coach’s or players. It’s like they get her and it’s vacation time for them. Zero results.

38. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

OMG, DRC 4 KK in PHI?

Would his Dora backpacks have enough room for his stuff AND his crayons?

39. By juan on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

please dont trade DRC he is a good CB!!! We alread lost Rolle and that hurt us alot imagine loosing DRC> Dont trade!!! If you guys do trade you are braking up our team instead of building it up….. this is a stupid move!!

40. By J J on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

Don’t trade DRC and don’t trade a first round pick. Offer a 2nd round pick and Greg Toler for Kolb.

41. By Joe-B on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

If this is what Philly is going to do, I’d hang up the phone and call up Denver to see what they want for Orton.

42. By Ritchy on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

please don’t do that just give a first round pick i love seeing DRC in a cardinals jersey.please Ken just give a first round pick

43. By Canadian Red Bird on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

Another story instigated by either the Philadelphia coach, players or media hyping up a quarterback to attract a higher return. Don’t worry Cardinal fans, the coaching staff isn’t that stupid to trade a first rounder or DRC for Kolb. A second rounder at best for this concussion prone player. Orton is a much better selection with less compensation.

44. By Jon L on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I have never seen so much speculation on speculation before. This is nuts we need this lockout to end. Why do people keep talking about Kolb as if he is going to be the saviour of the franchise when he has only been mediocre in the limited playing time he has had? My vote is to go after Bulger, I think he has similar traits as Warner, just not at the same level and should be a serviceable starter for at least 1 to 2 seasons while we groom skelton.

45. By cheesebeef on Jun 23, 2011 | Reply

please don’t put project arguments into my posts.. especially arguments as ridiculous as “But to sit here and make it sound like DRC has been the second coming of Champ Bailey — at least thus far — is disingenuous.” Nowhere did i say that.. I said he’s a two-time pro bowler (which he is) with the tools/potential to shut down half the field. and give me a break on the “cheese is drinking the kool-aid”… because THAT’S who I am? give me a break. I know what DRC is and what he DESPERATELY needs to work on. But there’s two things you can’t teach on the field and that’s SPEED and PLAYMAKING ability. you CAN teach a guy to tackle and even BEGINNING to lay track for getting rid of him because this very young guy hasn’t mastered that skill makes zero sense… or as much sense as bringing some bogus Champ Bailey comment into the discussion.

that was freaking bush league.

46. By UK Card on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

Well am pleased so many other fans see this the same as me!!! I hope the front office listens to the masses. DRC, & D.P, could be solid for years!!! I wouldn’t say dealing DRC is been “aggressive!” in anyway, that would be a bitch slap by A.Ried. I do think a 1st round is fair for Kolb, he’s more proven than any others drafted this year. Anything more i think we should go for someone Bulgar,Macnabb for 1 or 2 seasons and help bring Skelton on!

47. By Ditship on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

We need a QB a whole lot more than we need a CB that doesn’t look like he fits our new defense. This post summed it up best:
    “Small guys that can tackle”. Peterson-yes, Adams-yes. Toler-yes. DRC-…?

Kolb can get us back into the playoffs. DRC can dance and run fast.

48. By cactus jeff on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

Too late, arm is broke. You can’t win with Rex Hadnot, Dan Williams Greg Toler and Tim Hightower as starters. Four huge holes if/when DRC gets traded and Duce goes unsigned.

49. By Brian on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

I’m starting to feel as if this trade is going to happen. Since Ike Taylor is going to be a free agent, the odds of the Cards landing him are pretty good(since he was a Steeler it’s almost guaranteed IMO) and he would fill the void left by the DRC trade. The coaching staff really likes Toler. He has the size and speed to succeed in Horton’s scheme so I don’t think he’ll leave. I don’t think the Cards pull the trade unless they know they can sign Taylor(or Nnamdi, wishful thinking I know). If they can’t sign a solid CB to start opposite of Toler/Peterson then I can see them offering draft picks for Kolb or Orton. I don’t think you give up on DRC yet especially when it looks like we have a staff coming in that can develope him into the CB they hoped. Maybe I’m overly optomistic but I truly believe the Cards will do whatever it takes to make Fitz happy. He wants to stay here and I don’t see him expecting them to break the bank for him if they put together a contender.

50. By sergio moreno on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

no we need 2 keep our cornner back he is a big commitment to the team if we take a chance of loosing a really good corner 2 get an ok qb its not wother it do u think????

51. By Mario on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

Don’t give away the farm!! Youre not on the verge of a superbowl.

52. By brad oneill on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

DRC was less effective last year because teams had enough tape to avoid his strengths and pick on his weakenesses. when drc was a rookie teams weren’t scarred of him and they fed him a lot of balls that he happily scarfed up. Then the second year they avoided him but noticed on film that he got bored easily. the third year they avoided him just long enough for his eyes to glaze over then they attacked him.

my guess is drc will adjust his game and push himself very hard with the addition of peterson once again excel at his position.

Does anyone else feel like the cardinals are somewhat like a cartoon character trying to plug holes in a dam and all their toes and fingers are being used but a new leak is about to pop.

53. By Alex on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

Feel sorry for Cards fans. The Eagles are going to demand a lot for Kolb, and some stupid team may actually give it to them. Kolb is a very inconsistent QB who doesn’t seem like a franchise QB. He is not worth a 1st round pick or Rodgers-Cromartie, but the Cardinals could end up paying.

54. By Anthony on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

there is no way you would want to trade drc for kolb he is unproven in this league. drc just had a bad year lets keep this team together and work on getting a proven qb.

55. By Darren Urban on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

Cheese —

RE: DRC

He’s been to one Pro Bowl. And I never said they should get rid of him — but the idea that this is a black-and-white issue, either to trade him or not trade him — is ridiculous.

As far as bush league, let’s talk about you suggesting whether this is “laying track” to get rid of him. I was reacting to a report out of Philadelphia. I haven’t talked to anyone about this specifically. Clearly, DRC has issues. I was trying to explore both sides of the argument. And, of course, since I did it, then certainly the team must be trying to pre-spin a trade.

56. By Mario on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

If the Eagles (fans) believe the market value of Kolb is a 1st rounder and then some. And they are basing that on the drafting of Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert in the 2011 draft. Couldn’t one argue the Julio Jones trade set the market for a DRC trade? Jones was selected by Atlanta as a pc needed to make a sb run, (which Philly is claiming to be doing as well). Atlanta envisioned him running opposite Roddy White, similar to how Philly wants a cb to run opposite Samuels. They would need to send Kolb, and many picks to AZ….right?

57. By VoiceofReason on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

I realize I got into this conversation late, but let’s be direct:

A DRC FOR KOLB TRADE WOULD BE DUMBEST MOVE THIS FRANCHISE HAS EVER MADE. And given its history, that’s saying something.

The analysis is simple. They want a #1 for Kolb. If Orton (Fitz’ buddy since high school who has worked out with him recently in Minnesota) can be had for a #3, I tell Philadelphia to stick it. DRC? A 24 year old corner with 4.3 speed and a pro bowl on his resume? Are you freaking kidding me?

Here’s what you do. First thing — sign Bulger. Next, offer a #3 for Orton, that bumps to a #2 if certain performance incentives are reached. Let Orton and Bulger battle for the starting position, with Skelton learning from two fairly accurate guys. Hall and Anderson? Cut. Don’t even let them come to camp. Then sign Kolb in 2012 as a free agent.

But for God’s sake — Philadelphia is only putting this out there because they must think our Cardinals are the dumbest franchise in pro sports. We’re not.

58. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

@rugbymuffin,

The best example of DRC’s shutdown skills, to me, goes back to the ’08 playoff game against Carolina when he closed down Steve Smith as an option for Delhomme. Before last season Rod Woodson listed him, I believe, as one of the top 3 cover corners in the league. Obviously, his play last year was pretty disappointing but he isn’t the only one who struggled under Davis’ so-called coordinating.

Not ready to give up on a 6’2″ corner with sub 4.3 speed just yet. If his regression continues under Horton, that’s a different story but our defense just took a nosedive when Pendergast was shown the door.

59. By Mike A on Jun 24, 2011 | Reply

I am not sure why so many people think Kolb would be the QB to go with, he only played a few games and didnt really prove that he is great QB. I guess he would be better than anyone currently on the roster. I would be against trading our number one CB for a unproven QB! I might be baised tho cause I would really like to have Orton in AZ!

60. By LUKE on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

i still believe DRC can mature.i think he has the size to be a good tackler.I honestly think if DRC can feed into Horton’s plan,he can be the shut down corner we all hope.less flash more game.And I am not truly convinced with Kolb.Just say we keep drc,get Orton instead of Kolb,and groom Skelton .sounds like the warner /Leinart situation.Im not saying orton is warner by any means and hopefully Skelton is nothing like Leinart but nobody imagined warner would resurrect and leinart would flop.it was a good plan for grooming a young qb things just dont always work out the way you think.Kolb im just not convinced to pay a guy big money who hasnt really done anything.

61. By LUKE on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

and regarding cactus jeff’s assessment of hadnot,williams,toler and hightower.i think ALL of those players can thrive.I still believe Hightower has not been given the credit he deserves.his fumbling issues over shadow all of the good things he has done.his outside td run in the nfc championship was a highlight of the year .and i watched dan williams toward the end of last year plug the middle like a probowler.that guy will be huge!no pun intended!

62. By Jeff Gollin on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

WIP Radio in Philly has the reputation for over-the-top commentary and listeners.

I’d take anything you hear over there with a very large grain of salt.

63. By Chris B on Jun 25, 2011 | Reply

I love how people are saying DRC is not a good player. Rookie season he played great. Followed up by a probowl season. and after 1 down year, a year in which 3 of the 4 DB starters didn’t have a great year and we had zero pass rush, we should trade him? Give me a break. Why not trade Daryl Washington too? And Dockett and Campbell and Tim and Beanie and ___ (insert anyone not named Larry, Larod or Feeley here) based on the same reasoning? And I’m sure you’d suggest the Lions trade or cut Stafford bc he is a bust too.
    If the Cards trade DRC for Kolb and if Kolb is a flop, Whiz most likely will be fired. Period.

64. By tomm on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

Its gonna be hilarious when this trade is done and kolb blows so we also lose fitz when he doesn’t resign with kolb as our qb and then we will really be the cardinals again

65. By Scott H on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

Anthony –

OK. But what “proven” QB did you have in mind ???

66. By Darren Urban on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

Mario —

RE: Kolb

I don’t think there are any parallels to Kolb and Julio Jones deals. I am guessing fans of both teams are hoping to put one other on the other side. It doesn’t work that way.

67. By Scott H on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

cheebebeef –

I’m sorry, but did you actually say that the Eagles are “up a creek” because they need to get something for Kolb??? Are you serious??? Dude, if the Eagles end up keeping Kolb, they end up with THE best QB situation in the NFL. Period. That’s not even up for debate if ya ask me. So…how does that put the EAGLES up a creek if they get “stuck” with Kolb this year? If they get “stuck” with Kolb, then they’re sitting pretty when Vick gets injured – which is certain to happen, given the way he plays. The Eagles are TOTALLY in the driver’s seat with Kolb because there are several teams who despertaely need a QB ( put the Cards at THE top of that list, by the way ) and Kolb is luxury for them at this point. Because that is true, yes, they are in a position to ask a high price for him. But the Eagles are NOT in a position where they either trade Kolb or it’s a disaster for them.

What WAS a disaster was the Cardinals last year without a decent QB. And I’m not interested in another disaster and another season down the tubes because we don’t have a decent QB this year. If the Cardinals and the Eagles are the only two teams in this discussion, then you tell me who is in worse shape if Kolb stays where he is – the Eagles ( who end up with the best QB situation in the NFL ) or the Cardinals?

Obviously, a lot of people are not sold on Kolb and I understand that. But per his own statements, it sounds like Fitz would love to have him here…anyone gonna tell me that this doesn’t matter? That the best WR in the game right now doesn’t know what he’s talking about when it comes to QB’s?

I think people need to stop looking at what Kolb has done to this point ( and, frankly, he’s had some pretty damn good games along the way, too ) and look at what Kolb COULD be. Because that is what this is really about. I’m so tired of people saying he’s un-proven. Gee, do ya think??? Brilliant analysis there. Got news for ya – anyone who has played as few games as he has as a starter is un-proven. So, now that we’ve established the obvious, let’s move on. Seems like too many people think that he’s un-proven, so he sucks, so we don’t want him. Well, what if he goes somewhere else and BECOMES proven and turns out to be a pretty damn good QB? And what if that somewhere else turns out to be Seattle or San Fran, by the way?

Kolb is un-proven. But I believe that when that statement is no longer true, the team that he’s playing for is gonna be glad they gave him the chance. Just my gut feeling. If I’m wrong, I’ll freely admit it. Hope all of the Kolb haters will do the same.

68. By Fran P on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

I agree with many comments that we should sign Bulger for 2 years, develop Skelton, keep our important assets and spend money in free agency.

Laying down all the Cards on Kolb seems too risky. Colb had more interceptions then TD’s and was in the same system learning for many years.

Why did the talk about signing Bulger reduce so quickly? Is that just because one writer decided that he wants to stay on the East Coast even though it never came from his mouth?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

69. By Darren Urban on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

Fran P —

RE: Bulger

I think any of the talk about QBs — whether it is Bulger or Kolb or Orton or whomever — is basically speculation driven. I don’t think there is any “momentum changing” with any of these guys.

70. By dwright on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

REALLY!!! DRC FOR KOLB?? im kinda embarrassed to be a cards fan… this is stupid… I WANT TO KNOW WHO SAID THAT KOLB IS GOIN TO ANSWER OUR PRAYERS….i cant believe its coming down to this…ill take leinart back before kolb…and i would never trade drc for an unknown… if it was VICK, yea…. but not no kolb….we r getting JIMMY-JACKED…lol

71. By Cards1Fan on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

That would be nice if we got Ike Taylor and got rid of the OVERRATED DRC who avoids playing bumb n run.I dont know why he plays off the ball If you notice when he does he gets burned to the inside of the field with a quick slant route.I am dead serious even I know to throw a quick slant route to the middle on DRC will get him everytime.Most big plays hes given up have been slant routes when he plays off cover.I personally think if he got up to at least 195 with the good muscle build he could shut down top receivers easily he has great instincts and ball shills just lacks the mental toughness I know he isnt scared but he plays like it sorry to say.GOOD LUCK THIS YEAR DRC I BELIEVE IN YOU GO CARDINALS.

2. Jun 24, 2011: Crazy trade rumor time! Eagles’ Kolb for Cards’ Rodgers-Cromartie
  3. Jun 24, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogThe DRC speculation « | arizonacardinals.sportsblogstoday.com
  4. Jun 24, 2011: Iggles Blitz » Blog Archive » Un-Important Update on Kevin Kolb non-Trade
  5. Jun 24, 2011: Eagles Adjusting Their Asking Price For Kevin Kolb?
  6. Jun 24, 2011: OPISO » Crazy trade rumor time! Eagles’ Kolb for Cards’ Rodgers-Cromartie
  7. Jun 24, 2011: Eagles Runaround: Kolb for Rodgers-Cromartie trade rumors, more... | PhillySportsCentral.com: Phillies, Eagles, Flyers, 76ers news and forums
  8. Jun 24, 2011: Could Ike Taylor & William Gay Both End Up With The Cardinals? | Steelers Depot
  9. Jul 19, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogMore and more Kolb «