• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

It’s official: Fitz lands at No. 14

Posted by Darren Urban on June 26, 2011 – 6:06 pm

I know many people were wondering, but wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald finally landed on the NFL Network’s Top 100 current players at No. 14. I think that speaks to how well Fitz is respected around the league, especially since the Cards had a down year last season. Not shockingly, the presenter for Fitz’s video segment was Chiefs head coach and former Cards offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who developed a special bond with Fitz during Haley’s two seasons in Arizona.

“One of the hurdles we had to get over with Kurt (Warner) was to get him to throw the ball up to Larry even when he’s not open and he’ll make the play,” Haley said. “Those ball skills, along with the great hands, allow him to come down with the ball when others don’t.”

The eerie ending: Haley talks about how sure he would have been that, had Warner been able to get off that last Hail Mary pass in the Super Bowl — Warner was sacked and fumbled — Fitz would have come down with the jump ball and provided a miracle finish for the Cards. I don’t know if that would have been the case, but gosh, it would have been nice to see how it developed.

Tags: , ,

23 Responses to “It’s official: Fitz lands at No. 14”

1. By Fitz4Mtrushmore on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

Haleys thoughts on the ending took me back to my seat in Tampa, just sitting there for 30 mins afterward & despressed. I’m quite sure Larry legend wouldve outjumped Troy P for the winning TD because he did have position on him & Troy himself told LeBeau so. Can we get a do over? hehehe

2. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

Well, the play at the end of the SB should have been an incomplete pass (Warner’s arm was in motion) and Fitz was surrounded by 3 Steelers so MAYBE on the next play, he could have caught the jump ball.

Stranger to me though, was Larry introducing Aaron Rodgers at #11.

Isn’t that akin to Adrian Wilson speaking on behalf of Vernon Davis, Darnell Dockett on the benefits of soap and Joey Porter on the Bakersfield Police Department? Don’t see the connection.

3. By tom on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

should be higher than andre… career and postseason stats dont lie hes got 15 more td’s in one lee year than andre… how do you feel about whos better darren? andre or fitz?

4. By Brandon on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren- I think the same thing as Haley. Not the Harrison INT return, not Aaron Francisco’s slip. I think the pivotal point was Warner failing to evade that pressure on the last play. I was watching the game when Larry did it against San Fran right before halftime in AZ, and was at the Carolina game in person just a few weeks before the SB and saw Larry catch that jump ball on 3rd and 1. I really have no doubt that Larry would have come up with that ball if Warner could have gotten it off. That’s the moment that I think about constantly- I just want that last play back :(

5. By Darren Urban on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Fitz for Rodgers

That’s kind of funny. On the video talking about A-Dub — released before Adrian was called No. 89 — it was Vernon Davis who talked about Wilson.

6. By Darren Urban on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

Tom –

RE: Johnson vs Fitz

I think it doesn’t surprise me that Johnson is higher than Fitz right now. QB has an effect. I wouldn’t mind having either one. And 14 isn’t shabby, nor is being one of the top two WRs in the NFL (assuming no others are in the top 10).

7. By Darren Urban on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

Brandon –

RE: Last SB play

And I have said it before and will say it again, no one play gets me. All I know is that the Steelers were stuck on their own 12 with a couple minutes left and Big Ben escaped at least two sure sacks on the drive. Gotta stop them.

8. By cdubbbbbb on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

Fitz is better then Andre no doubt, fitz is the best EVER!

9. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 26, 2011 | Reply

RE: Fitz for Rodgers
    Do you have the link for the Dockett Old Spice commercial and the Porter PSA also?
    That’s what I’m here for, to be helpful. Man, there better be a training camp.

10. By Ditship on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

It’s funny Hailey said that about the last sack/fumble because until now I always wondered where everyone was on the field.. I’m really happy they finally showed it. And yeah.. There was a lot of guys around Fitz in that shot they showed but he would have brought down that jump ball or gotten the PI (No way they would have stopped Fitz bringing that ball down without blatantly mauling him).

As for Andre being before Fitz.. I think they were more than fair with Fitz getting #14.. These rankings were based off of the 2010 season and we had no QB. If Warner had come back for one last season Larry would have easily made the top ten. He was just that much better with Warner. I imagine Warner would have made it in the top 30 as well (assuming we’d had another 2009 like season with him).

11. By comer para perder on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

I hope you have good luck this year in league and remain deserving champions

12. By clintonrb on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

13. By Julian on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

@Brandon

What I can’t get over with that last play is how in the world five offensive linemen cannot contain a three man rush when everything’s on the line. They should have never let them get to Kurt and a Hail-Mary naturally takes some time to develop. Oh those memories… =(

14. By strangemale on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

These two (Andre and Larry), on any given day will do those things that only the truly great can do. Is one better than the other?

I truly don’t know, but I am grateful to be here and witnessing talent coupled with the need to be the best.

GREAT ride.

15. By D on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

Problem with that last drive was our lack of pass rush-Ben had too much time, especially on the game winner

16. By cards62 on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

Well said Strangemale both are great and either one will be welcome to any team, but both have suffered in their careers with little to no playoff experience so it shows all of us how important QB and team play is to individual success.
    Because of playoff success i will put Fitgerald ahead of Johnson if I had to select one over the other.

Yes these memories also take me back to the Superbowl and the most important play to me was the Harrison interception for a touchdown at the end of the first half. Do all of you other Cardinal fans know that Larry F. would have tackled Harrison way short of the goal line and prevented the touchdown except for one of our players was standing where he should not have been standing and he knocked Larry off of his pursuit. Do you know the players name? I do but will not say now for fun. If you watch the tape on this it will make you scream. Sooooo close and yet sooooooo far.

Hey good comments on Whisenhunt and I to believe like others that this year will be huge in determining how good or great of a head cosch is Whisenhunt.

Good comments also on DRC for Kolb. I do not think we make this trade, and hope we do not, but it would not shock me if we do. The Eagles and Andy Reid are smart, but if Andy trades Kolb quickly it will not surprise me at all if the Eagles would quickly sign Vince Young.

Darren if we do this trade or one for Orton do you think it will be a sign and trade deal where we add years of service to their contracts so they will not be a year or two and possibly leave our Cardinals.

Thanks to all and hope all of you are enjoying your summer. There will be Pro football in 2011.

17. By Dick in SoCal on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

Great comments by all!
    I agree with clintonrb, except for one word. He said: “fitz is still the best wideout in the league hands down-get him a mediocre qb and he still gets great numbers.”
    I would change mediocre to terrible! I said he was terrible when he was signed, and he was!
    Bring on an agreement!

18. By Peter in Canada on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

I think the measure of a player is how he performs in the playoffs. You play against the best teams in pressure situations. Fitz’s performance in ’08 was record setting and 2 touchdowns in ’09 wasn’t shabby. That is why he is the best.

19. By Fitz4Mtrushmore on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

Antrel Rolle was the guy standing outside line who got in Fitz’s way on the SB int return.

I also believe Breason helped Harrison score by hitting him & knocking him forward, thus keeping Fitz from making the tackle short of the endzone. Also, how about the 3 blatant, clips on the TD return? Freakin refs had to see those!!!

20. By Chris B on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

hahahaha! Todd Haley looks like a bum.

21. By Scott H on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

While I’d like to see Fitz in the top 10, I’m not outraged by him landing at #14. Based on pure skill and ability, I think he’s definitely a rare player and should be in the Top 10 based on that. But these rankings are clearly being based heavily on what these players have done most recently. And with Warner gone, Fitz was affected last year and his numbers fell off. If they’re doing this Top 100 thing after the 2009 or 2008 seasons ( 2008, especially!!! ), Fitz is in the Top 10 easy, maybe even the Top 5. As for the Johnson vs Fitz debate, I don’t see a need to rank one over the other. They are both spectacular players who play the same position but excel in different areas. They are both awesome in the true sense of the word awesome. As A Cards fan, I’m proud to have Fitz universally regarded as being the guy who is up against Johnson for the top spot. THAT is a good feeling.

22. By R Robles on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

What gets me is Dockett didnt make the list but yet Ratliff & Romo did Ratliff is good but not better than Darnell. Romo didnt even complete last season wasnt like 5 games & he was done………….Thats why I HATE the Cowboys South America’s team OVERATED every year Im so glad we beat them on Christmas last year after all the media was going for the Cowboys.BS but ya very dissapointed 90 didnt make it

2. Jul 12, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogThis metric calls Fitz the best «