Some room for “The Plan”

Posted by Darren Urban on June 27, 2011 – 2:23 pm

Several times this offseason both general manager Rod Graves and coach Ken Whisenhunt (and president Michael Bidwill, for that matter) have talked about the plan the team has in place once the offseason starts. Both Whisenhunt and Bidwill have used the term “aggressive” when it comes to free agency, and that will help given the situation that the Cards have a lot of work to do to firm up a roster in what figures to be a short time period.

It’s impossible to know what is “aggressive” and how the plan will play out (and part of that includes the moving parts once everything is able to begin; for instance, a trade for a quarterback complicates/affects things more than a straight free-agent signing of a QB would). The Cardinals will have some room to maneuver, however. ESPN’s John Clayton, in fact, thinks the Cards are one of the teams best suited to get things done given their potential salary-cap room (and every labor report seems to believe there indeed will be a salary cap once football resumes).

Writes Clayton, “The Cardinals are in great position to be players in free agency and the trade market. They have $37.38 million of cap room along with a current payroll of $85.76 million. They have the fourth most cap room of any team in football, giving them plenty of incentive to trade for quarterback Kevin Kolb and give him a huge long-term contract.”

The other teams in good shape, according to Clayton are the Redskins, Seahawks, Panthers and Eagles. The teams not in such good shape? Bengals, Bucs, Raiders, Cowboys and Jets — although it’s funny, the Bucs and Bengals land on the list not because they have poor cap room but actually because they may have too much, given their current roster situations.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “Some room for “The Plan””

1. By remythekid on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

Darren don’t forget we need to extend fitz’s contract you also mentioned having to give kolb big money if we go that rout what do estimate based on your knowledge would leave us with to make moves, keeping in mind we do need to fill a lot of holes and should fans keep a rebuilding/growing season in mind for expectations even if we push for a playoff spot? also have you heard anything about us and the supplemental draft? And where do you lean on with kolb vs orton honestly given there talent and what they would do to complete our whole at QB don’t consider there difference in there cost?

2. By Ernie on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I know this is all speculation but in your opinion what chance do we have at signing a free agent corner back if the Kolb for Drc trade were to happen? And if so how aggressive do you suppose we go after a player like namdi asamougha? Lol.. forgive my spelling if I butchered his name.

3. By Darren Urban on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

Remy —

RE: Questions

1. Impossible to estimate what the numbers would be on a Fitz deal or any QB deal right now. We don’t even know what the rules will be.
    2. As far as I know, T Pryor would be the only guy in the supplemental draft if there is one, and I don’t think the Cards have any interest there.
    3. I just don’t know enough about Kolb as a player to know for sure. I think, personally, Orton would be a fit. I have seen more of him. Whether he’s a better long-term answer than Kolb (or whether he would even be available) is a big unknown right now.

4. By Darren Urban on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

Ernie —

RE: FA CB

If they traded DRC they’d have to go after a cornerback.

As for Namdi, I don’t think there is any way they’d get in that bidding war. Few teams will.

5. By Ernie on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

Bidding war? He is an unrestricted free agent? Are you speaking of current teams who would drive his price up?

6. By D on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

As thin as our D Line is, Dockett better not mess around and get into trouble

7. By D on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

I like my plan-Darren-feel free to pass some names along to the brain trust-thanks

Resign: Sendlein, Breaston, Branch.
    Try to sign some of these: Carl Nicks G or David Joseph G–Reggie Kelly TE or K. Boss TE—Willie Colon T, Ron Edwards DT, Takeo Spikes MLB, Antwan Barnes OLB…
    …make the trade next year’s 2nd round pick for K. Orten.

8. By remythekid on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

how good do you think we will be if we have to rebuild our front line in a short year? and how serious is the DRC trade chatter and where did it come from plus why does that not make sense to me!! and what is your opinion on posey from ohio state if we loose bresten and or when is the supplemental draft?

9. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

I’m thinking Clayton is skewing the numbers. The Bengals and the Buccaneers are screwed because they have TOO much money to spend on FAs? So, because they’ll be “forced ” to make a financial decision that should make them better? (Unless the personnel director is lost.)
    And the Cards have basically their entire OL that isn’t under contract, Breaston and Hightower that want the Bidwills’ to show them the money, badly needed 3-4 players and a punter among others to split that money. The team is not like the Packers who have only 13 FAs and are 35 mil under the cap.
    Once the QB decision is made and his contract renegotiated, the trench guys resigned or let go; the club IMO is going to be treacherously near the cap, and that doesn’t include a possible Fitz extension, which if I remember right, the team likes to include on the current year’s salaries.
    So phooeey on Clayton, his appearance alone demerits his case.

10. By Darren Urban on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

Ernie —

RE: Nnamdi

Yes, he will be a UFA.

11. By Scott H on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

Funny how just about everyone is putting the Cardinals and Kolb together at this point…in today’s world with all this media, it’s rare that “everybody” gets it wrong. Seeing as I’d like to see Kolb here, I find this encouraging. Then again, nothing is sure until dotted lines are signed.

12. By drummer-1 on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

I would like to know where this DRC for Kolb trade talk came from.. If i’m not mistaken, you can’t talk about trades with teams without a CBA being signed,if it came from the Eagles camp shouldn’t they get fined?

13. By uncharacteristicAZ on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

didn’t know where to post this so i will post it here

see the play at 2:50 . . . I’m sold

14. By brad oneill on Jun 27, 2011 | Reply

I think the cardinals proved themselves fairly shortsighted once again. they could have sat down and locked up breaston, sendlien latui and others. Its simply not a valid excuse that they werent sure of the situation. If your negotiators are worth their salt they can do provisional contracts that make everyone happy.

what having your team locked up before the lockout would accomplish is being as ready as possible for the next season. the risk is you pay too much for someone that you already have a pretty good feel for. I can understand anxiety about the big guy eating too much again this off season.

if we had done that our coaches and management would be able to concentrate entirely on the few positions we need to go get and not have to worry about other teams poaching our guys in the mad scramble that is ahead.

I know we hadn’t had the draft yet etc etc etc. but come on run this thing like a business that needs to win. not one that needs to not lose money.

15. By ross on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren, were any of our coaches playing in the league during the last work stoppage? I’d be interested to hear their thoughts on being on both sides of a cba dispute.

16. By Ditship on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

I wouldn’t read too much into everyone grouping us with Kolb.. I think everyone had us taking Gabbert until the day of the actual Draft.. then all the sudden everyone had us taking Peterson.. Personally I’d like to see us take Orton for a 2nd (if that’s truly available) and not have to Sign Kolb to some crazy contract when I’ve yet to see anything truly spectacular out of him. I like Orton a lot and think he can run our offense well. I just don’t truly believe the Broncos will be willing to ditch that safety blanket going into this season with Tebow.. I know I sure wouldn’t.

17. By Scott H on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Just our luck, right? We’re one of the best positioned teams to make big gains in free agency…and there is no free agency! Sigh…

18. By joe67 on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

If everything was equal, compensation to get them hear, contract length and amount, who would fit the Cards better, and who would you rather see come here, Carson Palmer or Kevin Kolb??

19. By Brad Wheeler on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Kyle Orton? No thanks, I remember last year Orton getting owned by Cards D, our D wasn’t the best last year, so if it can shut-down Orton then why would Orton be a good starter for us? When he has time he’s great, but under pressure he’s inaccurate. With our offensive line we need someone better under pressure, I’d prefer to struggle all year with Skelton to develop him then start Orton. Skelton showed he could make plays under pressure last year, if he can do that in just 4 starts imagine how much better he’ll get with a whole season under his belt. I vote Skelton as starter, buy someone to compete at free agency, don’t waste draft picks or DRC on players that might turn out to be crap. The one hugely exciting thing about this year is combo of DRC and Peterson along with Wilson and Rhodes, if they trade DRC i will be one pissed off fan!

20. By Cards1Fan on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

The cardinals need help on the defensive front seven they lack getting pressure in the back field.Teams double Dockett every snap and the rest of our team still cant get pressure on the QBs.If our young linebackers can really step up and take their game to another level we will sweep every team in our division.If you notice we lose most of our games because we dont put all our effort on every snap maybe twice the whole opposing teams posession 2 out of 10 attempts if that.FRONT SEVEN & A QUARTERBACK AND THE DIVISION IS A WRAP ONCE AGAIN.OUR SECONDARY WILL BE GREAT THIS YEAR UNLESS DRC BLOWS IT AGAIN BY GETTING BURNED I DONT KNOW HOW MANY TIMES.GOOD LUCK RED BIRD GANG.

21. By dryans on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Huge contract, long term, Kolb, YUCK!

22. By Matt in Philly on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

I agree with AndyStandsUp. Having moolah to spend in the FA market doesn’t mean we’re in a good position And I find it particularly daunting that the Cards management has something to the effect of, “we have a plan.” Scary words from a black cloud organization.

23. By MikeG on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–I hope the Cards don’t trade DRC for Kolb. The real question is
    whether DRC is Ray Horton’s kind of guy. DRC, Toler and Peterson gives him flexability in the secondary with each player having different strengths. The Eagles already have a similar player to DRC in Samuel. Both are not great tacklers and can be a liability against running teams. I don’t know if DRC fits in with the Eagles. The Cardinals have done a good job with the cap the last few seasons. I don’t see the Card’s being REAL aggressive in free agency—I think they will just pick their spots. I hope they sign their center and not go overly nuts in dealing for a QB. People are overrating Kolb in my opinion—we don’t know what type of player he is yet. Do you think he is a proven commodity worthy of DRC or multiple draft picks??? I don’t!!!!

24. By Jimmy on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, since there isn’t much football going on right now, think Fitzgerald would play volleyball with some of my friends?

25. By Darren Urban on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Ross —

RE: Last stoppage

Russ Grimm was playing in 1987. And it was Chris Miller’s first year in the NFL.

26. By Darren Urban on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Joe67 —

RE: Palmer vs Kolb

Great question. I’d have to do more research on where Palmer is physically. But he’s obviously proven more.

27. By Eazy E on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Don’t touch Kolb! I have 3 qbs I would choose over him before I even think about him. He just aint that good.

28. By Eazy E on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Kolb hasn’t proved that he is any good. He hasn’t proved that he is worth anywhere near a 1 or even a 2 and no not DRC either.

29. By D on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

Another player to watch if the cba gives freedom to 4yr players, Yanda G from the Ravens, could replace Deuce if he moves on…

30. By jocards on Jun 29, 2011 | Reply

Tick, tick, tick,….almost July and still nothing happening. Darren, I am worried and to me we should all be worried. All the talk about trading for a QB, bringing in this or that F/A is pointless….Nothing is going to happen until a new CBA is in place and the possibility of sacrificing regular season games becomes less and less obscure every day. This league and the NFLPA have done it before and to me those that believe they absolutely would not do it again are fooling themselves. Darren, your thoughts?

31. By Darren Urban on Jun 29, 2011 | Reply

jocards —

RE: New CBA

My thoughts are I have no control over the situation so I’m not going to stress about it. Nothing I can do.

32. By jocards on Jun 29, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Fair enough….I’m stressing enough for both of us!

33. By bluepitt on Jun 29, 2011 | Reply

@uncharacteristicAZ ? ok whats your point? JJ Arington, C.Wells and others highlight vids are better and still nutn! Dont judge a book by its old cover! He is a pro now and it has to translate in the NFL (N=ot F=or L=ong if you cant turn the corner in to a pro.) If Wells dont turn it up this year I see him gone as well.