Peterson gets the weighty message

Posted by Darren Urban on June 30, 2011 – 11:03 am

Back when he showed up at the Cards’ complex for his introductory press conference, first-round draft pick Patrick Peterson spent a good 30 minutes beforehand talking with strength and conditioning coach John Lott. Lott, who knew his time with the top rookie was going to  be severely limited this offseason, used the time to get out all the advice he’d normally deliver over a period of weeks.

Maybe that impacted Peterson, maybe not. Talking on “Chuck and Vince Live” this morning on The Fan 1060 AM, however, Peterson has trimmed some weight off his 220-pound frame and said he’d like to start off his NFL career between around 210 or 212 pounds.

“I’m kind of sick of hearing ‘You are 220, you can’t hang with the best, you might have to move to safety,’ so I kind of did it on my own,” Peterson said. “It was my decision. I want to go to camp kind of light because I know it’s a different climate in Arizona and I don’t want to be killing myself up there in the heat.”

Lott famously tells most players when he first gets them in Arizona they should drop a few pounds. Everyone has done it, from Larry Fitzgerald to Kurt Warner to Beanie Wells (pretty much every incoming rookie gets the speech). Peterson figured to be no different.

Peterson also said he worked out with Fitzgerald some  before Fitzgerald went back to Minnesota recently. And he said he is “keeping my fingers crossed” he can wear No. 21. “I gotta have 21 on my back,” he said. (That number currently is held by free-agent-to-be safety Hamza Abdullah).

Tags: , ,

27 Responses to “Peterson gets the weighty message”

1. By Chris R. on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Excited to see how he does in the NFL. Kid is a beast and could improve the secondary that has seemed to suffer at times the last few years.

Personally, I’m excited to see how the defense pans out next season. Improving in stopping the run and pass coverage with DB’s that have some great ball hawking skills.. I really think our D can be a top 5 defense in the entire NFL. I know people may think that’s too generous but I think Horton can make it happen, if not this season then definitely the next.

The line is looking mean with some young edge rushers that should be more comfortable with more experience under their belts. The inside has a young, fresh presence with good veteran leadership. The secondary looks strong. Very excited!

If our offense can produce, I think our defense should stay more fresh each time coming on the field compared to last year. Last year they just always looked so tired/worn out toward the middle and end of the game.

2. By D on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

All I know is that this lockout needs to end fast, I am tired of every day a different reporter picks a player of the roster to be in the Kolb trade…D. Washington? Please stop the madness!!!

3. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren, any truth to the rumor that the weight Peterson lost was quickly consumed by Duece Lutui?
    What’s the significance of 21, anyway? You would think Demon would want to distance himself as far as possible from the Antrel Rolle comparisons.

4. By Bernardo on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I just want to know the odds of him actually being able to get 21?
    I really hope he does! He has PLENTY of people going to buy his jersey

Andy, I am not for sure but i do believe that 21 is just a prestigious number.
    Deion wore 21. He doesnt want to wear it because Antrel wore it, he wants to wear it for the NFL history behind the number, Not the CARDINALS history behind it. Am i correct Darren?

5. By Darren Urban on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Bernardo —

RE: PP and 21

Not sure why he wants it, other than maybe it’s a multiple of 7, which he wore in college (and he can’t wear 14 or 77, so 21 maybe is the next best thing).

6. By CardinalFansInQC on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

His birthday is July 11, 1990. My guess is that he wants #21 because that’s how old he will be when he plays in his first NFL game (hopefully).

7. By Javi on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

hey darren, out of theese guys who do you think will be the cards starting QB…………………kevin kolb……………kyle orton……………….carson palmer…….matt hasselbeck………….donovan mcnabb………….or vince young?

8. By Darren Urban on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Javi —

RE: QB

Seems like Kolb is the leader in the speculative clubhouse.

9. By Bernardo on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Just want to thank you for always being responding! Much appreciated as a fan!
    This maybe an off subject question but i still would like to know this from someone smarter than myself in this matter….. Why arent the cardinals trying to just forcus on building our O line first? there is so much of this QB talks it rediculous! In my opinion i feel like if we sign one of the ATL guys and Nicks. I mean i understand that it is a must win year, but i dont like the fact of going out and signing some QB we cant protect. Whats your opinion?

10. By Darren Urban on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Bernardo —

RE: OLine vs QB

My opinion is you need both. But unquestionably, the first priority is getting a QB.

11. By BIG RED on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Why is it that people want Kolb, when he hasn’t don much in the NFL. I still say John will be are starting QB.

12. By bobcat44 on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Which of the QB’s Javi mentioned do you personally think would give the Cards the best chance to win?

bobcat44

13. By DeVeau on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Gotta question the QB first to an extent. Yes without a QB the team struggles. A QB without a line though runs the risk of damage. Kolb = concussion, and Philly’s O-line was better than the unit the Cards trotted out last year. So, you bring in a top notch QB, the O-line fails to protect him, and you’re left watching 2nd and 3rd stringers run for their lives while the fans wonder why the Cards wasted money on an injury prone QB.

And I’m not buying the O-line wasn’t bad theory. As they say talk is talk is talk. 5-11 shows.

14. By Eazy E on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren, maybe it has something to do with deion sanders, the best cornerback ever!!!

15. By tom on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

i think peterson wants 21 cause its deion sanders number and pp idolizes deion…

16. By joe67 on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

I agree about the O-line. Sign a couple good Linemen to show the Q-back prospects we are serious about wanting to win, and it will make it a whole lot easier to get them here, and maybe for less money than they may want otherwise.
    Lets see, best playing surface in the league, great facility, good golf, good weather, growing fan base, geat and stable coaching staff,and if we show we are serious contenders, where else would they want to go?

17. By Darren Urban on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

Bobcat44 —

RE: QBs

At this point, it’s tough to say. With a short offseason, any QB is going to create a relative crapshoot.

18. By Darren Urban on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

DeVeau —

RE: QB vs line

I’m not saying a good line isn’t needed. But to take this to the furthest extremes, I’d rather have Peyton Manning and a bad line than, say, Derek Anderson and a good line.

Go and look at some of the better teams in recent years. Most times, their lines are average — Colts, Pats, Steelers, even the Packers for part of the year. But their QBs are top-notch. To me, if you are asking me either/or, it’s not even close.

19. By joe67 on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

Very good point Darren, about Q-back/O-line situation, I’m just not sure our line was avg. But either way, I woiuld like to see Peyton wearing the bird on his helmet. Lets start a DRC and a 2nd, 3rd this year and 4th next year for Peyton rumor!!!
    (just kidding of course. It would take a WHOLE lot more than that, needless to say.)

20. By D-man on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

Hey darren any chances that the cards could sign T,j, Houshmandzadeh as a second receiver to Larry

21. By Peter in Canada on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

QB vs. line

Three of our five lineman played in 2009 as well as last year. The difference was Faneca and Keith for Wells and Gandy with Bridges subbing for injury in both years. It opened holes for Beanie and Hightower and protected Warner pretty well in ’09. I am willing to bet if Warner had stayed we would have three peated and we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Darren, you are dead on about QB being more important than line within reason.

Here’s wishing you and all the posters a happy holiday.

22. By NickP on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

@AndyStandsUp Could you at least act like you have some sort of love for the team that you constantly bash on this website along with others that i have seen you on???? I understand that you are just being a “realist” but you life must suck going through every day with the cup “Half full”. I never usually comment on websites but after seeing your comments on a couple of different pages with the same trash talk just different wording, please just SHUT UP! Some of us “Real” fans would like to look at the positives on the upcoming season and not beat a dead horse with all the so called glaring problems that we have elsewhere. So once again thanks for the reminder that life could be worse…. I could be looking at the world through your eyes!!!!

23. By Darren Urban on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

D-man —

RE: Hoosh

I don’t see that happening.

24. By meg on Jul 2, 2011 | Reply

need a qb, plain and simple

25. By kyle on Jul 2, 2011 | Reply

hey darren,

are the cards really serious about trading DRC or washington and some picks for an unproven, injury prone kolb. seems like the eagles are talking him up to much. if ried really thinks that kolb is super bowl caliber why get rido him, i mean vick isnt young or anything?

26. By cards62 on Jul 5, 2011 | Reply

I agree 100% with Darren QB over O line and my opinion we need help at both.

I think it speaks very well of Patrick Peterson and his maturity that he is working hard and changing his body a little this offseason to be ready for the NFL.

I to am getting excited about the upcoming season and hope free agency can start sometime during July,

To Kyle – I do not know if Kevin Kolb is the answer or not. I like Orton, and Palmer better and Vince Young intrigues me so I hope we sign him also. I think Andy Reid would love to keep Kolb as his # 2, but to Kolb’s credit he wants to play and Reid knows he will not keep Kolb after this season so if he can receive a first round pick or a couple of picks for Kolb he will trade him, and sign and develop another QB for free. I am thinking Reid wants to sign Vince Young as his backup QB. Will I be upset if the Cardinals trade for Kolb, no I will be happy that the team is doing what they think is best for the team to win now, but what I think is best for our team is trading for Orton or Palmer and signing Vince Young or Marc Bulger as a back up with John Skelton also in the mix. There are no guarantees but wouldn’t having a combination of those 3 QBs over Anderson – Hall – Skelton be sweet for 2011.

Go Cards!

2. Jun 30, 2011: [Cardinals News] Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson Plans To Start Career In 210-212 Pound Range - GridironFans.com