Feely cautious on status of labor talks

Posted by Darren Urban on July 13, 2011 – 11:15 am

Cardinals kicker Jay Feely, who also serves as the team’s player representative for the players’ association, appeared on ESPN’s SportsCenter today to talk about the current labor situation. The highlights? He doesn’t think any games will be missed. But “I do not think (a resolution) is as close as some people make it out to be.”

Feely’s full feelings:

“I was just on a conference call,” he said. “Obviously, I cannot talk about the details of it, but we are absolutely working hard. I do not think it is as close as some people make it out to be. There are still some issues we have to resolve. I do not think we are going to miss games. I am hopeful that we will not miss games. But there are definitely some steps that need to be taken. Rational thought needs to be the dominant force driving these negotiations.

“If you allow emotion to get into it, if one side tries to strong arm another, then it is not going to get accomplished. All that hurts in the end is not only the fans, but 150,000 jobs that are tied directly to the in-stadium experiences, as well as all of the restaurants and hotels that depend on that revenue to make mortgage payments and survive and sustain themselves. It is incumbent on both sides to keep rational thought at the forefront and find a way to get a deal done.”

Asked why he doesn’t think talks are as close as being reported, Feely said “I have optimism, but I am also realistic. I know there are issues that need to be accomplished. It is not that those issues cannot be overcome, but it is not inevitable, either.”

Feely also touched upon the rookie wage scale that has gotten so much attention of late.

“Our perspective is that if we are going to give back money, which we are on the rookies, then from the owners’ side they need to be willing to do four-year maximum contracts,” he said. “In my career, I have discovered that you know for sure by the first or second year a guy who is a rookie that is going to be in your plans going forward. When you look at the difference between four and five years, it may not look like a lot, but to the players it is. Four-year maximum contracts are something that we are really not willing to negotiate on.”

Tags: ,

21 Responses to “Feely cautious on status of labor talks”

1. By D-man on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

darren,

if the lockout is ended by the set date of july 21st, when will the cadinals training camps start

2. By Darren Urban on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

D-man –

RE: Camp dates

Until this thing is resolved, I don’t think any camp dates are going to be released. I have not heard anything concrete yet.

3. By MIKE G on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren – Hope you are well and that we will have this thing settled next week so we can talk some football. Did you hear Harrison’s comments toward Goddell and Rothlisberger. He was at no loss of words talking about those guys. Do you think we will se an increase or decrease in player fines this year??? That seems to be something that is escallating year to year. Certainly defensive players are angered!!

4. By Darren Urban on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Fines

I don’t think there will be some sudden spike this season. I think, once everything is resolved and we move back to “normal” it’ll seem a lot like it always did.

5. By Ryan on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

Yo Darren,
    While Feely is known as the gloved kicker, ever think of donning some gloves and becoming the “gloved beat writer”?

6. By Darren Urban on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

Ryan –

RE: Gloves

Would make it much too difficult to type.

7. By tom on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

darren,

i dont like this 4 year crap. that means players can leave way early. id rather keep it how it is to be honest if that means we can sig young guys for 6 years like pp.

8. By tom on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

darren,

wow i forgot to ask how you feel about it?

9. By Scott H on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

The owners and the players need to get this damn thing done already. I hear the talk about they’re getting close and maybe it will be done by a certain date and yadda yadda yadda…and I’m supposed to be psyched??? No. All I am is thoroughly disgusted by the fact that THEY let it come to this and THEY continue to move at a pace that indicates that they are concerned with no one’s needs except their own. What about the fans – who are ultimately the people who make the NFL what it is – and the un-told masses of people on so many different levels who have jobs somehow related to football??? While these arrogant miilionaires haggle over how to split 9 billion dollars, these people are without an income in the worst economy most of us have ever seen! The NFL really does deserve to suffer for this, but…sadly, they probably will not.

10. By Darren Urban on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

Tom –

RE: Rookie scale

If a player is really good, you’re going to re-do his deal after three years anyway (or tick him off by making him play under a bad deal and force a holdout/make him want to leave). If he isn’t good, you’re gonna want to cut him. I think it’s kind of a moot point, in my own opinion.

11. By tyman on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, Tyman here. You made the call on the cards drafting Patrick P 5th overall. So whos your call for who will be the Cards starting QB next year. Dont answere if you dont want to give it away, but for fun who do you think will be our started if there is a season this year? Sorry if youve answered this allready dont feel like going back through all the blogs.

12. By John the draft guy on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

I think the 4-yrs-for-a-cap deal is very reasonable. Let’s face it, Brady made very little as a 6th round pick, Jared Allen was way under paid as a 4th round pick. I could go on and on. The cap saves owners from huge contracts to 1st round picks who may never pan out. So those lower picks who explode on the scene need a shorter time to get to the reward.

Just read your article on the running backs. First thing ran through my head is the old saying, if you have a lot of running backs, you don’t have a running back. Keeping all 4 (LSH, Beanie, Hightower and Williams) makes sense till someone can play well enough to demand more time.

Last thing, I know this is huge speculation. But I was watching something about Ronnie Lott, who burst on the scene as a physical corner and playmaker who switched over to safety and may have been one of the best ever. As I watched, a lot of his skill set reminded me of Peterson. I’ve always seen Peterson as a Antrel Rolle type of player but what do you think of the comparison with Lott? ( I get that Lott is a Hall of Famer and Peterson hasn’t done anything- just talking skill set and attitude/style of play)

13. By brad oneill on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

anyone else see that the broncos coach was on the horn claiming denver is in the market for a rb? good news we have 3 of them and they have a qb that just might work for us.

hell i would take tebow about now.

14. By John the draft guy on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

My Bad.
    I just saw your article on Rookies and their impact , where you talked about Ronnie Lott and Peterson.
    Sorry, I haven’t been on the sight for a while.
    I was watching a show about best rookie seasons and they talked about Lott. Of course I watched him play and it got me thinking about that comparison.
    I guess i’m a little behind you.

15. By Darren Urban on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

Tyman –

RE: QB

I’d say Kolb, but just because there seems to be a lot of momentum that way rather than actual knowledge. I think a lot will depend on what kind of trade price these QBs will cost.

16. By Darren Urban on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy –

RE: Peterson

Until I see him actually on the field for one practice or three, I have no idea.

17. By D on Jul 13, 2011 | Reply

Free agent players for Cards to look at: (available now- until bigger
    names get released)

Harvey Dahl or Justin Blalock or Marshal Yanda Off line
    T. Spikes or B. Ruud or Stephen Cooper (MLB)
    Marcus Spears or Ron Edwards (rotational DT)
    Thomas Howard or Antwan Barnes or Prescott Burgess (OLB)
    Stephen Spach, Desmond Clark, Reggie Kelly (TE)
    Ben Graham or Michael Koenen (P)

18. By joe67 on Jul 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren, my biggest issue with Kolb, and correct me if I am wrong, he would be a FA next year, so we could give up a lot and it could be a “one and done” here.

19. By Darren Urban on Jul 14, 2011 | Reply

Joe67 –

RE: Kolb as QB

You are right, his contract will run out (as would Orton’s, for that matter). Either way, if you trade for a QB in that situation, you will extend his deal as part of the whole scenario.

20. By joe67 on Jul 14, 2011 | Reply

That souinds better. Thanks Darren

21. By John the draft guy on Jul 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    Since others are talking free agency, I thought I would throw in my two cents.

We have two glaring holes that are crucial to fill.
    First is offensive line. Luiti, Sendlin, and Fanica all could be gone. Sendlin must be resigned and I would like to see a legit effort to keep Luiti. I would like to see the cards add a Tackle and guard in FA.

I was very disappointed and quite frankly stunned that we Haven’t address the offensive line in the LAST 3 DRAFTS. I believe the last O-Lineman picked was Keith in the 7th round of 08. Its tough to coach when they don’t give you anyone to work with.

Second, QB. This is a mute point if the O-Line isnt addressed. Kolb, Bulger, Orton, or whoever, I would like to see someone come in and compete with Skelton.

Third, I want to say passrusher, but they usually aren’t floating around in FA. From the list of potential guys, I say keep Porter and hope Schofield and Acho develop into a couple of good OLBs

Finally, WR. Ok , I most think we are Ok here. Fitz is amazing and if all fails throw it up to him. But Roberts had 4 good games, Doucet is always injured and it sounds like Breaston may be gone. Komar is a backup and Williams didn’t step up when given the chance.

I’d like to see a vet come in for a year to see if Roberts is the real deal. I usually am not about bringing in older wrs with a history, but I would look at Randy Moss. Why ?? He can still stretch the field and with Fitz, will pull the safeties out of the box. This would open things up underneath for Roberts or Houser. It could help the run game also. Moss could be done, but at the right price, it would be worth seeing.
    So Darren, is Graves ready to sign T Tyson Clabo and G Marshal Yanda, QB Mark Bulger, and add Moss to the mix? I could live with that.