A solid start for Whiz in Tahoe UPDATE

Posted by Darren Urban on July 15, 2011 – 4:45 pm

As the offseason comes to an end (really, it looks like it’s for real), coach Ken Whisenhunt, on one of his final weekend’s off, is taking his annual crack at the Amercian Century Championship celebrity golf tournament up in Tahoe. Whiz opened the tourney today with a score of 13 (they play modified Stableford scoring, with points for pars and birdies, etc.) which ties him for 22nd. Singer/actor Jack Wagner is leading with a 29, with former Phoenix Coyote Jeremy Roenick and former Cardinal QB Chris Chandler tied for second with 24 points. Whiz played with ex-NFL QB Trent Dilfer and race car driver Dale Jarrett today. Wonder if Dilfer offered any analysis on the Cards’ QB situation?

UPDATE: Day two, Whiz scored 17 points and his total of 30 leaves him tied for 22nd, 22 points behind leader Jack Wagner. Linebacker Joey Porter, by the way, has negative-45 points and is tied for 80th.

UPDATE TWO: Whisenhunt actually had his best round of the tourney Sunday, scoring 19 points for a three-day total of 49 and tying for 13th place with former NFL QB Billy Joe Tolliver. Jack Wagner won the tourney with 80 points.

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to “A solid start for Whiz in Tahoe UPDATE”

1. By MoJo on Jul 15, 2011 | Reply

Now that rumors are floating about free agency and that owners and players have agreed to a four year service with no restrictions, who are our top free agents?

2. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 15, 2011 | Reply

Noticed that Carson Palmer was playing as well and even though Whiz can’t speak to the (Bengal) Tiger…
    Gotta wonder if the “ace” didn’t tell Ken to “aim for the flag(staff) stick” and “pitch” and “drive” the “handicap” Mike Brown to “cut” or trade him. (Cards learned their lesson with the “Q- schooling” a few seasons ago.)
    Whiz wants to “hook” a QB that’s not “fading”, has “drive” and can get the team over a “rough” spot, not someone who loves “snowmen” and is “par for the course”.
    Arizona needs a “hole in one” right now; not an “Eagle”.

3. By brad oneill on Jul 15, 2011 | Reply

Difler to whiz- Hey coach keep your head up the ravens won it all without a quarterback.

4. By Richard S. on Jul 15, 2011 | Reply

How is Carson Palmer doing in the tournament? Is he in the same group as Whiz?

5. By NYCardinals212 on Jul 15, 2011 | Reply

. . . I just flew in, and boy, are my arms tired . . . take my wife, please. . .

6. By Scott H on Jul 16, 2011 | Reply

For the heck of it, a ranking in order of preference of options at QB –

1) Kevin Kolb
    2) Carson Palmer, IF the Bengals will trade him
    3) John Skelton ( with Bulger at back-up )
    4) Kyle Orton or Vince Young
    5) Marc Bulger
    6 ) McNabb or Hasselbeck ( doesn’t matter because I don’t want either )

Please note that Derek Anderson is nowhere to be found on this list. And I hope he is nowhere to be found on the roster. I wouldn’t even want him as a back-up…because that would mean he could actually play at some point. Somebody PLEASE tell me the coaches wouldn’t be stupid / stubborn anough to keep Anderson going into this year…would they???

Hard to believe we may be just a day or two away from knowing who they’re going to get. The Cardinals are telling us that they are ready to go with this…I hope we see some evidence of that.

7. By Austin on Jul 16, 2011 | Reply

Tren Dilfer is an idiot. He was an average QB at best and only had success because of an insanely good defense. He was in no position to trash talk the cards before the super bowl.

8. By clssylssy on Jul 17, 2011 | Reply

Agreed that Dilfer is an idiot and don’t know why his name would be brought up as a possible QB in the cards organization. We don’t need somebody who was trashing the Cards at anytime. I thought that Hall and Skelton both performed admirably under the circumstances last year and see promise is these guys down the road. Fans seem to forget Hall’s performance against the World Champion Saints. I have a feeling that much weight has been given to opinions from Kurt Warner as well as Fitz and if we can get a decent veteran, we have what it takes player wise to be a force in the west. What we really need is another Todd Haley type Offensive Coordinator.

9. By D on Jul 17, 2011 | Reply

QB options as far priority for Cards:

1) K. Orten
    2) K. Orten
    3) Hasselbeck
    4) Palmer if a trade can be done (that owner will eat 17 mil on his cap
    so it doesnt create a trend for every angry Bungal)
    5) Kolb -if price comes down-let Seattle over pay for him so we can
    rock his inexperience butt.
    6) Skelton

10. By CZarr on Jul 17, 2011 | Reply

Andystandsup,

I el oh eld at that.

Scott H,

I take it you were a fan of Leinart like me, because that’s exactly the type of passer Kolb is. :)

11. By Bob on Jul 17, 2011 | Reply

The Cards have four major needs to address in FA.#1 QB Palmer Orton Kolb thats it the other guys are washed up and would be a waste of money and time.#2 OL we need both G and T at G Harvey Dahl ,D. Joesph, Justin Blalock,Kyle Kosier and at T Jared Gaither,Doug Free,Jammal Brown and Matt Light are all good enough to improve the line.#3 LB Paul Posluszny and Kevin Burnett one of those two would be great.In a perfect world they would sign one form each group and resign Lutui, Breaston and Sendlein all that would be tough in a normal year so I will just keep on dreaming.

12. By We Missed Q on Jul 17, 2011 | Reply

Scott H,

If Marc Bulger is on the roster he is the starter without question, NOT Skelton.

13. By D on Jul 17, 2011 | Reply

MoJo- some free agents that could help our Cards that would fit our needs and our defense:
    G- C. Nicks or Yanda (he can play both)
    T- W. Colon
    MLB- K. Burnett or T. Spikes
    OLB- A Barnes
    DT- Edwards (rotational guy)
    Kelly-TE depth (blocking)
    Assuming in that first 72 hrs to sign own players they will sign Sendlien-make good offers to Branch and Breaston. (don’t be suprised if Todd Haley over pays for Stevie B)-if that’s the case, we’ll resign our own fa WR’s. Probably be back Graham too.
    Other big name players out there but I don’t see AZ going after the big names and some guys will get a lot of money thrown at them like Rudd and Tulloch, Z. Miller, etc
    Watch ATL off lineman too, they have many players on the line available -they will try to resign most, if they can’t-Tampa has a lot of money to spend.

14. By cardsalltheway on Jul 17, 2011 | Reply

Pat Kirwan says…
    ‘NFL, teams face challenge of setting rosters in short order’
    “The Arizona Cardinals are a great example of this perfect storm coming to a head. They are in need of a quarterback (probably by a trade); they only have six offensive linemen under contract and need 15 for camp; they have a total of 49 players under contract and need to sign seven restricted free agents, six draft picks, and somehow sign 28 more players to reach 90.”

15. By Scott H on Jul 17, 2011 | Reply

Austin –

I hear ya. Seems like something happens to a lot of players when they stop being players and become media. You would think that they – of all people – would have an appreciation of BEING a player and how difficult that can be.. But it seems like too many of them just want to play to the camera and try to prove how smart and /or witty they are. Sure is a lot easier to sit in a studio and TALK about it than it is to DO it, ya know?

16. By D on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

Cards should watch the situation in big D-if Jerry has to release Bradie James, OLB, Cards should be agressive- he would be the best OLB available on the open market….

17. By D-man on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

hey darren,

How do u feel about signing marc bulger to mentor john skelton?
    I believe since whiz wanted to draft him as a project, he should get a mentor so someday he could be a great starter. I also believe it should be marc bulger bc he is almost as accurate as kurt warner was. So tell me what u think about my idea

18. By Scott H on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

CZarr –

Well, not exactly…I never made a comparison between Kolb and Leinart. Never thought about it, really. And while I didn’t consider myself a Leinart fan, per se, I thought the decision to RELEASE him in favor of Derek friggin’ Anderson was just plain lousy. I don’t know how Leinart would have turned out. But I ABSOLUTELY knew DA was going to be exactly what he was – a lousy QB. I swear, don’t even get me started…

We Missed Q –

Maybe. But I don’t know that for sure. What has Marc Bulger done in the last 3-4 seasons to make him a definite starter over anybody??? As a fan, frankly, I’d rather give Skelton a chance than to grow than wonder if Bulger can still hack it as a starter. I’d say the chances of Bulger making it through a 16-game season are little to none.

19. By Darren Urban on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

D-man —

RE: Bulger

I think you need to sign someone you think you can play. Any “mentoring” would be a bonus, but not why you should be signing him.