Jason Wright retires

Posted by Darren Urban on July 18, 2011 – 4:17 pm

Kent Somers broke the news today that running back Jason Wright – a special teams ace and one of the anchors of the locker room – has decided to retire. It’s not a surprise. Quite frankly, it was a little bit of an open secret late in the year and, the day after the season, Wright acknowledged that was the plan. He didn’t want it publicized yet because he hadn’t yet talked to the coaching staff, and then, with the labor issues, I couldn’t talk to him directly.

But Wright had some thoughts that day after the Cards finished up in San Francisco. The Northwestern grad, who is now in business school at the University of Chicago, just said it was “time.”

“There are lots of reasons I can give,” Wright said. “Honestly, I love football and I love this team too much for any of them to be good enough. The real reason is me, and every single member of my family feels like it might be that time. It’s more of a subjective thing.

“I’m going to miss it a lot. I’m going to miss it a lot.”

Wright was the perfect fit as a fourth running back with Tim Hightower, Beanie Wells and LaRod Stephens-Howling. He was a mentor, a sounding board, a voice of reason for the backs and the entire team. (He was also a go-to quote in the locker room, able to speak eloquently on any subject).

Wright did miss some time with a concussion last season, and for any player that can give pause, not to mention someone as brilliant as Wright. But he insisted his choice had nothing to do with concussions or bodily harm.

“My body, I probably have two years left at the level I am playing at, or one and maybe stretch it into two,” he said with a chuckle. “It’s not that at all. It’s just the right time. I feel like I am ready for the next step.”

He said he wouldn’t mind working in the NFL in the future, perhaps even helping someone like Michael Bidwill run a franchise.

“Who knows?” Wright said. “I may come calling (the Cardinals) again.”

Tags: , , , ,

17 Responses to “Jason Wright retires”

1. By JoeVero on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren:
    Any plans on a “Looking at the Special Teams” article? Now with Jason gone, it is a good a time as any.

2. By Seth on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

A class act on and off the field. You’ll be missed J-dub.

3. By ross on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

He seems like a cool guy. He will be missed.

4. By CZarr on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

Its always sad to see one of those unsung guys leave a squad. I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.

5. By KingJM on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

LSH will fill the role in nicely though.

6. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

Good for him. Far too often a RB stays in the game past their prime, (and the Cards know about Emmitt Smith and Edgerrin James), opposed by the Robert Smith’s and Barry Sanders’. It also opens the door ajar for no trading of Wells and Hightower.
    Bryan Robinson’s decision leaves a backlog of NTs , however. With Horton’s 3-4, hard to see keeping Bryan, Dan Williams and Gabe Watson. (Though Robinson played some DE, he’s officially listed as a NT.)

7. By tom on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

hope he comes as a special teams coach or an assistant to the team. hes a good dude and smart. good luck jason!

8. By Darren Urban on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

JoeVero –

RE: Special teams

I may blog about that.

9. By brad oneill on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

i love to see a guy moving forward instead of just moving on. i wish Jason the absolute best and thank him for making my favorite team that much better.

10. By Mario on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

Off topic, but why no news on Joey Porters pitt bull dogs? It seems this guy isn’t seem responsible enough to manage his pets, much less a pass rush. I own a pitt bull and it is a full time commitment to keep him well excercised and mentally fit. What’s the deal with the Cardinals Players and their pets lately anyways? Dockett with a stupid purchase and now the Porter news.

11. By Brian R. on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

That would be nice. Im glad he enjoyed his time in Arizona.

12. By Chris Freeman on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren –
    by the way it looks so far the roster is starting to dwindle itself in preparation for free agency, How many new starters do you think will be added? ( Not what the office may or may not do) But with Age/contracts, retirements, “dead weight”/ roster cuts, what percentage of the 2011-12 starting roster can you forsee deriving from outside Arizona?

13. By Darren Urban on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Chris –

RE: Starters

It’s so hard to tell right now. In a normal offseason, those choices are so much easier. But there are so many variables because of all the free agents out there. Could I see a scenario where the Cards have four of five offensive linemen return, for instance? Yes. But I could also easily see two or three new guys. I need to see how many guys end up going back to old teams league-wide.

14. By drummer-1 on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

@ Mario.. What business is it of yours about porters dogs, this blog is about JW retiring didn’t you read the heading..

Good luck moving on to your next adventure J Wright.

15. By We Missed Q on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Mario, you are a tool. Porter’s dogs have nothing to do with the Cards’ website. Thanks Darren for keeping it classy.

16. By Don't Take Losses on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Jason Wright = hero. Will be missed, a lot.

17. By Treadmill Traci on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

Man, I lved this guy. He was just great, but never really got too much spotlight. Hope he moves on to bigger and better things!!!