Like everyone, Bidwill ready for football

Posted by Darren Urban on July 18, 2011 – 8:52 pm

Out in Los Angeles Monday, at Memorial Coliseum, the annual NFL 101 All-Access event was held – at its core, an effort to keep the dream of an NFL team (or teams) in Los Angeles alive. This year, the Cardinals were invited to have a booth for the fans, and then for president Michael Bidwill to sit on a panel with the 49ers’ Jed York and the Raiders’ Amy Trask.

Bidwill acknowledged, again, that there is “no doubt” the Cards will focus on getting a veteran quarterback as soon as the labor situation is settled and “I have no doubt it will happen quickly.” He didn’t talk specifics, but that’s not a surprise (and yes, I know about Mike Jurecki’s report earlier in the day that he heard about the Cards willing to offer DRC for Kolb. I don’t  know what will happen there).

Earlier, Bidwill smiled when it brought up that the labor situation may indeed to coming to a resolution.

“We’re almost there,” he said. “It feels like there are just a few more issues left. It’s kind of like watching a pot boil, you watch it every day it feels like it takes longer. Hopefully we will get it wrapped up soon and I am looking forward to going to the meeting in Atlanta (Thursday) and see where we are.”

Bidwill, like everyone, said he would be rather be talking football anyway.

“It does make me feel good because getting back to football is what it is all about,” Bidwill said. “We’ve been talking about labor issues and lawsuits and I know fans want to be talking about quarterbacks and what we’re doing in free agency and how we’re going to beef up the defense and the running game. We have some good draft choices and we haven’t even had a chance to meet them yet.”

Tags: , ,

33 Responses to “Like everyone, Bidwill ready for football”

1. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren, why would there be a AZ Card contingent in LA promoting a return, when more than likely it would a current franchise? Before UPHO, there was a probable chance it could have been AZ and STL, JAC and MINN can’t be happy that the Bidwill’s are backing their possible relocation.
    Thursday’s meeting is from what I understand the owner(not proxy) and one rep; of which 24 of the 32 must agree. Does this mean Micheal is to be the alternate and do you have a feeling which way he’ll side?

2. By Walter L. on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

When does Michael Bidwill get to take over for his dad? Bill has gotten better at fielding a quality team over the last 7 or 8 years, but I get the vibe from Michael that he could bring a championship.

3. By Eazy E on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Cards please don’t do that horrible deal. Go get Donovan and/or VY. T Pryor is out there in the supplemental draft also. Come on, there are a couple MUCH BETTER options.

4. By D on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

I smell a misdirect of info…Darren who do you feel will be the first Card to resign?…I am hoping Sendlein..you could be busy this weekend if the 72hr period starts Friday

5. By Brian R. on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

I hope we dont trade D R-C for Kolb… If we can get two first round draft picks in the cornerbacking position that would be sweet.

6. By Darren Urban on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Questions

1) All NFL owners a) want a team in L.A. and b) want to continue to build new stadiums. L.A. is an obvious market and every owner is on board with that. One way or another, they want new buildings.
    2) Michael goes to all the meetings; at this point, he is running the show, which is not a secret. As for the way he votes, the Cardinals have always been a backer of the NFL’s choices; if Goodell and the league have come up with a plan they deem ready, I don’t see the Bidwills as a dissenting vote.

7. By Darren Urban on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

D —

RE: Re-signing

No idea. Sendlein would be a good guess though.

8. By Jesse Robles on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Forget Kolb, and Jurecki, I know we have to spend, but Orton is out there and he has had a very consistent past 3 years. You can’t go wrong. We need a QB and it is not Kolb.

9. By Chris on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Thanks MR Michael Bidwill! thanks for everything you are the man! Love what you’ve done these few past years since you’ve taken over for you dad. BEST OWNER IN THE LEAGUE!!! YOU WILL PROVE IT THIS OFFSEASON TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO DOESNT KNOW!. PS DO NOT EVER EVER NEVER EVER TRADE DRC FOR KOLB LOOK AT HIS NUMBERS Kolb has played a Total of 19 career games in the NFL. He has 11 td’s, 14 Int’s, 7 fumbles and 2 concussions. That is a huge Red Flag for me. Especially the 2 concussion in 19 games if he get’s one more his career could very well be over with. So even though I think he has a huge up side I would not give up more than a 2nd rounder for him because of the red flags.

10. By Bernardo on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Do you know if training camp will happen in august if the NFL reaches a deal this week???

11. By brad oneill on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

as a fan i would like to lobby for affordable nachos at the game. is this too much to ask?

12. By tom on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

im gonna be so mad if we trade drc… i might not go to any cards games this year thats just flat out one of the most ridiculous idea ive ever heard! hey why dont we not do that deal and just trde dockett for orton! yea!…… no! this team needs to keep its pro bowlers like this is ridiculous! we lose boldin, wanrer, dansby, and rolle and now we might get rid of drc! is graves smoking tweak? we only upgraded at one of those spots with rhodes and now this bs! what a JOKE!!!!!!! they better not make that trade i dont care how drc fits hortons scheme you dont get rid of pro bowlers cause they had one bad year thats borderline retardation! hey fitz had a down year why dont we dump him for a bakup qb with limited experience whos gonna demand a contract! MAKES SO MUCH SENSE! sorry darren for the rant but this is blasphemy! lets just hope they dont choke on this one!

13. By CZarr on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Any idea what Jurecki’s “source” is? Bidwell did say veteran quarterback, I would think that Kolb doesn’t necessarily qualify as a veteran. I know you don’t know what’s going to happen Darren, but you are closer to the situation than any of us and I need some reassurance dang it! Can you give me a probability on the DRC/Kolb trade?

14. By Ben on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

You had me at:

“beef up the defense and the running game”

almost brought a tear to my eye…

15. By Darren Urban on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Bernado —

RE: Training camp

Until there is a deal, and a business timeline for free agency, etc., there are no camp dates.

16. By Darren Urban on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

CZarr —

RE: Jurecki

You’d have to ask Mike that.

As for a probability, I really don’t know. The DRC thing seems to have some legs if it keeps coming up. But I have not heard it.

17. By John the draft guy on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

A new article I read today has Kolb thinking he is going to Arizona. He was talking about teaming with Fitz. So, maybe this is the worst kept secret and Kolb will be wearing red.
    I don’t have an issue trading DRC for a QB. Heck, I would trade half the team for Brady or Manning. But Kolb??? Thats the question.
    Here is a few things I know;
    -Kolb has had trouble staying healthy in his limited time starting.
    -Kolb will cost around 10 million a year, a lot upfront on his new deal.
    -Kolb has a strong arm and can be a starting QB in this league.
    -The Cards dont have a QB for 2011.
    -The Cards don’t believe Skelton will develop if they trade and pay Kolb.
    -DRC is not a Horton type player.
    -I like Kolb better than Gabbert, Peterson fits Hortons defense better than DRC.
    -We must get offensive lineman or Kolb will never make it.
    -No matter how much I say “draft a QB next year and sign Bulger for a 2 yr deal” , Graves and Whiz aren’t listening. So I hope Kolb comes here and pans out.

Welcome to Arizona Mr Kolb. You better be worth it.

18. By Jesse Robles on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Palmer or Orton are the only trades we should be hearing about, Kolb is a vet at getting hurt, chillen on the bench, and calling plays…if we are looking for another one of these guys, why not KEEP Derick Anderson?? Get a grip, this thing better get signed soon, this is ruining my summer :) haha.

19. By CardiacCards on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

DRC, Toler & Peterson sounds better than Toler and Peterson. The defense was just as bad as the offense last year if not worse. Don’t give away all your talent for unproven people. John Skelton is the Cards QB of the future. He has been in the offense longer than any vet they bring in and has much more upside.

20. By Andrew on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Can you or have you posted somewhere in the past a list of all the free agents, restricted and non that we are looking at for this crazy short period. I looked back but couldn’t find it but I know there is one somewhere.

Just want to get an idea of what we’re looking at for next week. Any predictions on who’s staying, going, or coming in??

21. By Darren Urban on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Andrew —

RE: FA list

I have yet to find a solid list. Anyone who has a link, feel free to offer it up.

22. By Andrew on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

i meant one of just the cardinals. Just trying to get an idea of what our 3 day window will look like.

23. By Darren Urban on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Andrew —

RE: Cards FAs

Try this: http://prod.static.cardinals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/docs/2011Darren/2RosterChartAfter2010.pdf

24. By Andrew on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

perfect!! thanks darren!!

and i’m also throwing my hat into the ‘Don’t trade DRC’ boat, glad to see wilson is in there as well!!

25. By cards62 on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren 4 questions about the 72 hour only sign your own free agent period.

1) Can other teams call a teams players or the players agent and say we are interested in talking with you and leave it just at that so a player will have a feel if others are interested in him while he negotiates only with his current team?

2) Are trades allowed?

3) Can players who are released by their teams like a Vince Young be signed during this time by other teams?

4) Can undrafted rookies be signed.

Thanks Darren

26. By Darren Urban on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Cards62 —

RE: Questions

1) Technically, I wouldn’t think so. I’m not sure that would matter, however.
    2) I would think they would be, since traded players are already under contract.
    3) Players released are not unrestricted free agents per se, they have been released. So I would think yes.
    4) I would think yes, but again, that may be a later part of the process.

27. By Fatdog on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Everyone needs to decide witch player they would rather see in RED next year DRC or Fitz. if they do not trade DRC for Kolb and they lose out on Orton and Palmer Fitz will leave and anyone who thinks Bulger is the answer is CRAZY the guy has not started a game in what two years he would not be any better than DA. Kolb may not be great but he has the tools to be a good QB in the NFL and that may be enough to keep Fitz around and that alone is worth trading DRC.

28. By Scott H on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

brad oneil –

YES! Affordable nachos! At last, we are getting to the REAL issues! LOL! Funniest post I’ve seen in a long time.

Fatdog-

Well said and I kinda agree. Not crazy about giving up DRC for Kolb but I say do it. IF it were ever a choice between DRC and Fitz??? Please. I’ll drive DRC to the airport myself! I’d probably pack his bags, too.

29. By Joseph P. on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Forget the nachos! Bidwells–want to get more fans –more vocal for the home team? Here’s MY idea! Every time the Cards make a TD, make a FG over 50
    yards–etc..CUT THE PRICE OF ALL BEER IN HALF for 30 minutes! I guarentee you the stadium will go wild! Hell, add free hot dogs and the fans
    will block for the QB!!!!

30. By cards62 on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren – Thank you for the quick answers to my questions.

Fatdog – Bulger no better than Derek Anderson. The man, Bulger, now has grounds to sue you for liable and you better hope no Cardinal or Browns fans are on the jury.

Joseph P. – Give free hotdogs to Duece, Brandon, and Levi after every offensive score and maybe they will actually block for the QB and RBs.

Go Cards!

31. By Ray on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Good bye Bennie hello Carson

32. By Dikaslogos on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Like all fans I am hopeful our AZ Cardinals can rebuild after two disastrous years. It was really fun to watch and cheer for the team that took us to the Super Bowl.

My concern is that we are about to repeat the fiasco of placing all of our chips on another like D. Anderson. Based on published articles by many sports writers, Kolb as a winning QB is problematic fraught with problems. He certainly hasn’t displayed the mental-set, discipline, skill, and COMMITMENT to do what has to be don to lead a team to a championship.

To pay a premium price for him seems to me to be a risk that is not worth taking. To trade our current high quality players and pay him a lot of money just does not make financial or football sense.

2. Jul 19, 2011: Around the NFC West: Cardinal’s retirement | Arizona News