More and more Kolb

Posted by Darren Urban on July 19, 2011 – 3:42 pm

When Kevin Kolb went on the “Dan Patrick Show” this morning and talked about how he has “envisioned” himself as a Cardinal, that probably isn’t a surprise. We’ve been sitting around talking about this possibility for so long, it’s only natural Kolb himself was going to do so. Do I think the Cards will make a play for Kolb? Yes. Do I know what they will offer? No.

The DRC thing seems to be gaining speculative steam, not that it sits well with everyone (Tweeted Adrian Wilson today, “Everyone need to stop with the DRC for KOLB trade rumors… Ridiculous!!!! Can we get to football first. Just stop it already” and new DRC/Wilson teammate Patrick Peterson retweeted the sentiment.) Kent Somers broke down his thoughts on such a swap and I already had mentioned what I thought.

But let’s just talk about what is fact for right now: Kolb’s interview. He said a lot of stuff today that he’s said before, but a couple of particular comments stood out. To start, “Most people can connect the dots now,” he said. “Arizona is a great place.”

Then there was this: Regardless of where Kolb goes, on the idea that he could end up staying an Eagle, Kolb said, “I don’t even want to look down that route (that he’s not traded). I have had a great time there (in Philadelphia) but it’s just time for me to move on and do my own thing.

“I had my shot (in Philly) and it didn’t work out and so I have to go prove myself somewhere else if that possibility presents itself. But I can’t think of one (scenario where he stays). From the conversations I had before this all happened, it sounds like (trading me) is the plan and hopefully everyone sticks to it.”

So there’s another pressure point on the Eagles’ end to do a deal, and like every pressure point, it really doesn’t force a trade, but it means that both sides probably won’t end up with “best-case scenario” in a deal for one to happen. The Eagles won’t get a ransom, the Cards won’t get off cheap.

Tags: , , ,

79 Responses to “More and more Kolb”

1. By Gaumni on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Do you think Horton has some legitimate concerns about DRC’s apprehension towards contact? I mean, Horton came right out and said “I need physical corners for this defense to work (paraphrasing).” Lends me to believe the Cardinals might just be willing to move on.

2. By Darren Urban on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Gaumni —

RE: DRC/Horton

I don’t know if Horton does, but I think I have wondered the same thing you have.

3. By KG on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren, who do you think is a comparable QB in the NFL today to our Mr. Kolb here? How well does he handle the blitz and how does he look throwing long balls (sans Jackson)? If he can do both well then I think he is a viable option for DRC even if he is, as you say, a ‘prospect’. Thanks!

4. By Darren Urban on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

KG —

RE: Kolb comparison

To be honest, I have no idea on who to parallel him with. I haven’t seen enough of him.

5. By Peter in Canada on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

One of the least physical corners ever to play was Deion Sanders. Does this mean that if Deion Sanders was in his prime he couldn’t play in Horton’s defence? Shouldn’t a good co-ordinator design schemes that play to his players’ strengths rather than going out and getting players to fit the scheme? That is to say it must be within reason because nobody can make chicken soup out of chicken feathers but I don’t see DRC as being impossible to work with. Your thoughts Darren.

6. By cards62 on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Kolb will be just fine with me if we do not give up too much.
    I hope Horton gives DRC a year so that he can see what DRC can do with his coaching. I really like a DRC, Peterson, Toler package, and I think they will be needed as I think our pass rush is still a season away. Hopefully we trade a draft choice or a running back as we have too many RBs to run the ball as little as we do.

I really think Reid likes Vince Young more than Kolb for his system and Reid thinks any pick for Kolb will be a bonus as he will get Young for no picks. Reid is smart so I do worry what we will give up, and the way Kolb is talking maybe even the deal is already worked out between the two teams.

Scott H. you also follow the Eagles so what do you think we will have to give up for Kolb?

Football is coming Football is coming and I am so very excited. GO Cards

7. By Darren Urban on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Peter —

RE: DRC

Again, I feel like I am repeating myself over and over. I wouldn’t trade DRC right now. Then again, let’s hold off on the DRC-Deion comparison. He’s not at that level yet.

8. By We Missed Q on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Kolb for DRC is a no-brainer. QB is the most important position in pro sports. Franchise QB’s rarely are available as free agents or trade. I have no idea if Kolb is a franchise QB or not, but to get one you have to take a chance. DRC is nothing more than a very fast cover guy. He has NEVER been a “shut down” corner, not with how many times he was ROASTED last year, and his refusal or outright fear of contact. This team can very well win the division with Kolb at qb, and PP and GT at corner. If we have DRC and PP at corner and the same production we had last year from QB we win 3 games.

9. By Rob on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Forget Kolb, we have to support John Skelton. At times he struggled a bit last season, but overall the starting job should be his. If given the chance, John Skelton will become the next Tom Brady. Besides, the Eagles will want way too much for Kolb. DRC is too valuable to our Defense.

10. By cardsalltheway on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

John Skelton is my pick, he knows the plays and team, show a little confidence people(COACH). We win with Skelton, with anyone else it’s the same as last year(QB musical chairs). Get someone to back up Skelton, pick Terrelle Pryor in the supplemental draft. If Skelton goes down, Whiz can just tell Pryor to run. That is Whiz’ level of QB development.

11. By Nick Pepe on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

@We missed Q:
    Kolb for DRC is a no-brainer for the Eagles only. A DB is valuable, especially with the speed DRC has. Kolb may turn out to be o., But with the passing game becoming the emphasis of scoring and even ball control a solid defensive backfield is a priority. And I think we have the makings for one.

Kolb may well turn out to be a good, even great QB. But he has made 6-7 starts, looked good in the first 2 (against poor teams) and less than average in the others. In fact, he appeared rattled when he got pressured/hit. I surely wouldn;to give up a #5 pick for an unproven QB. You want to give a couple picks (2nd /4th) that is one thing. But Kolb has done nothing to garner the value of a #5 pick. DRC may have gotten beaten a couple times last year, but I wouldn’t through the towel in yet. And the Eagles would love to have his speed on the other side of Samuel. Just as much as Cards fans should want Peterson along side of DRC’s speed.

And I think Kolb’s urge to get the hell out of Philly would bring down his value. It is obvious he wants out and would be a disruption if not shipped somewhere that he could be a starter. The value would come down to what the market price is, not what the buyer HAS to have.

Darren – lower the thermostat, its hot out here!!. Very impressed with the hospitality we have been shown while in town, and we look forward to the next few days!

It appears we are getting close to the action getting hot and heavy….can’t wait!!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    An Elk enjoying Phoenix!

12. By Nick Pepe on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

@Cards62:
    I am from the Philly area, The impression I get is that the expect/want a lot. At this time the only back up they have is a second year guy who has never taken a snap, and with the fragile dog killer as their starter, they like that insurance.

Nick Pepe

13. By Dylan on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Im with rob on this one why is everyone so quick to dump skelton. he was the only reason why i watched the last 4 games and he showed a lot of promising stuff really mobile gets out of the pocket when needed but was willing to stay in and take the hit to get the ball to a receiver like the the 4th down pass to fitz. i think we just need to get a veteran qb to mentor him for maybe a year or two forget kolb his stats look exactly like matt leinart and everyone was so quick to call him a bust so why aren’t people calling kolb a bust?

14. By Dylan on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

yeah kevin kolbs stats are almost exactly the same and matt leinarts and you see where matt is now

15. By 85301 fan on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DRC IS NOT GOING ANY WERE WHITH HIM AND PETERSON THIS WILL B A RUN FIRST TEAM AND ALL D FENCE WE HAVE ALL THE PLAYER FOR A GREAT DEFENCE IF R BOY PP IS ALL WHAT THEY SAY HE IS AND I DO BELIVE HE IS AINT NOBODY GOING TO THROGH ON US AND THAT LET US DO ANY THING UP FRONT MISS U DANSBY DRC WILL HAVE A GREAT YEAR HORTON WILL PUT PP AND DRC IN GOOD SPOTS PLUS THEY WILL COMPETE AGAIST EACH OTHER AND THATS WHAT U WANT

16. By LUKE on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Supporting john skelton is the plan ,i believe ,but he is just not ready.the plan of having a veteran(whoever it may be )to give skelton time to mature is the best answer.i am not sold on kolb at all and would probably take orton over him but regardless id think skelton is definatly in the mix just not now as a starter.drc is overated and is an annoying show off.he belongs on the cowboys.He is fast and …well….not very cerebral.go grab a steelers corner and move on.drc gives up more big plays than he makes

17. By Scott H on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

News from the East….don’t know if it was the same interview he did on the Dan Patrick show, but Kevin Kolb was on the local Philly sports radio stattion this afternoon. He was on with host Howard Eskin, who is a long-time member of the sports media out here. Howard is an excellent media guy in that he truly takes the time to get the facts related to any story. He usually won’t put something out there unless he is absolutely sure it’s accurate. Well, as far as he is concerned, a deal between the Eagles and the Cardinals for Kolb is pretty much in the bag. He also firmly believes DRC will be part of the deal. This Eskin guy is about as much on the inside with the Eagles as you can get, so…take it for what it’s worth. Mr Kolb also sounds like a guy who is planning to be an Arizona Cardinal.

May not be what everyone wants to hear, but…there’s no denying that the Cardinals have been the team most mentioned all along in regard to where Kolb will end up. Hard to believe at this point he’s NOT gonna end up here.

Cards62 – hope I answered your question!

Another interesting something from a different perspective. And IT’S NOT MY PERSPECTIVE!!! It’s a general opinion expressed by many Eagles fans as this speculation about DRC coming there heats up. Seems like a lot of people are not impressed with DRC and they feel Kolb is worth more than DRC straight up. Interesting – but not surprising – that Cardinal fans think giving up DRC for Kolb is crazy while Eagle fans feel just the opposite!

Here is what concerns me, however…think about this – might another NFC West team ( and Seattle and SF have BOTH been mentioned as having some interest in Kolb along the way ) jump into the fray with an offer for Kolb that will really just be intended to put the Cardinals over a barrell and force them to up the ante to a point where they might REALLY be giving up too much for him??? This might bear watching…

Just rumors but I have also heard reports linking Seattle with Tavaris Jackson…

18. By Jesse Robles on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

“I hesitate to even dignify the false media reports with a response, but obviously they are leading people astray,” Brees wrote

I hope Brees was talking about the Kolb trade, haha.

Rob is right, I still believe in Skelton too, he will get his chance. Hopefully he does good. I like this guy.

19. By cdubbbbbb on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Missed Q u are crazy. So if we played the qbs we have now they wouldn’t improve with a season under their belts? The addition of PP and a healthy Adrian Wilson coupled with a good defensive coordinator and hungry players….. u think we will win less games then last season? Gtfoh dude u are crazy…. even if we made no trades and ran our team as is with Skelton we would win our division…

20. By Scott H on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

As much as I would rather not lose DRC, I do have to put this thought out there…the vast majority of teams who have won Super Bowls recently do have a great QB. But how many teams have EVER won a SB because of a great CB tandem? Just sayin’ that in today’s QB-driven NFL, you HAVE TO HAVE A QB TO WIN. If great CB’s took teams to Super Bowls, then why haven’t the Raiders been there lately? I’d say it’s because they haven’t had a QB!

I know, I know…Kolb hasn’t proven anything, he’s only played X number of games, his mother wears combat boots, blah blah blah. BUT if the Cardinals think he can be a great QB, then that has to be worth more to them than DRC is at this point.

PS – My apologies to Kevin Kolb’s mother because I really don’t think she wears combat boots. But I’m pretty sure that with the way people have been hating on him, someone probably said that at some point!

21. By emm7777 on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

I’m with Rob and cdub. Skelton has MAD potential, it is easy to see. I just flat out don’t want Kolb. The red flags are so huge with him, the team has to realize that too. Kolb is Matt Leinart.

22. By Nick Pepe on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

@ Scott H:
    Howard Eskin??? Really? You are relying on something Eskin says. The people / atheletes in his own market don’t even respect him and he has no more “inside info” than you or I. He is an absolute idiot and is mocked daily by the morning show of his on station.

Eskin listens to ESPN and then gets on the radio and says “my sources”. He is guessing (hoping), just like you or I would.

Kolb may very well end up here (again, havent seen anything that says he is a franchise QB). But I hope and pray it is not at the expense of DRC.

23. By Bob Diesel on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Does everyone understand if we stick with Skelton now, we lose Fitz?

Shout out to KG Late show!

24. By TBru on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Lock out over yet? bla bla bla

actually, with all the Bengals getting arrested, and hints that this mess might be resolved soon I am starting to feel like I am in football mode again

25. By Scott H on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Another question for folks to ponder – is anyone aware that DRC led the NFL in missed tackles last year? Again, I like him as a player and would rather NOT have to give him up. But at the same time, let’s not go off the deep end and make him out to be more than what he is.

We Missed Q –

I applaud you for realizing that the NFL is a QB-driven league these days and that there is NO position that is more important. The people calling you an idiot are the ones who don’t get it. Damn, people, the Cardinals just fell from legit SB contender with Kurt Warner to a million miles away from the playoffs without a decent QB to take his place and we did it in the blink of an eye! What more proof of the importance of a QB do you need???

26. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

I have no problem with this proposed trade, if it happens.
    Obviously, the Cards need a QB and Kolb presents the best prospective candidate available. And to acquire that player you have to give to get.
    Two questions though, Darren.
    What if the Seahawks, Bengals, Titans, etc. jack up the trade value? Do the Cards offer DRC AND a high draft pick or Wells or Ryan Williams?
    And how would DRC do in the notoriously tough Phillly environment? The guy is a different cat already and if he underperformed in the city where the booed Mike Schmidt and threw snowballs at Santa, he may be irreversibly damaged.

27. By Charles on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

I have laughed over and over about philly together are getting drc for kolb, you have kolb on contract for a year, after that he can walk, no way cardinals give up a pro bowl top 15 pick for a guy still trying to prove himself, and for you drc haters the whole defense got ran over last year as they had no quarterback so our defense was out of breath by the second quarter. I want kolb but cards could get orton just as easy.

28. By Peter on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

I think Bulger over Kolb. Even Kolb wants to come to Arizona. If you want Kolb, wait a year, let his contract end and get him as cheap as possible. Matt Leinart was a first round pick that sat behind a hall of fame QB and didn’t produce, but that doesn’t mean that always happens. I think having Bulger mentor Skelton and competing for the starting position would work out better. There is no reason to separate a dangerous defensive back combo so we can make a gamble when we can buy in much cheaper next year.

Just look at the draft: Williams and Sherman will try to get that run going and Housler and Sampson will diversify the pass game. QB DRIVEN LEAGUE! QB DRIVEN LEAGUE… yes and no really. Realize football is the ultimate TEAM sport and that the whole is greater than any one of it’s parts. If anything, offensive line are the concern. The QB situation can be figured out eventually. Fix the offensive line, bring the run game, make D solid and QB’s will beg to play here. Until then, those QB’s that want in, better prove they want to be in the desert. Respect is earned, never awarded. Y’all must’ve forgot.

29. By SeeingRed on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Ur all smokin something if u think DRC for Kolb makes any sense. DRC is more “proven” in his respective position than Kolb is in his. True DRC had a down season but all he has needed (yes, he is still young and a little immature) is a fire placed under his rear (see new def. coordinator) and good competition (best player in draft anyone?) to bring out his true potential…now if he cant blossom as he should under these circumstances then he should be traded later. It was already obvious that he is getting the message by him putting on more muscle to get ready to bang some. He was actually pretty physical his first season but then reverted back to the Deion S style of corner…Don’t forget he is also pretty good on special teams at blocking FG’s-when he isn’t jumping offsides….I want Kolb here as much as anyone (though in a perfect world I’d prefer C Palmer) but you cant tell me that a defensive backfield with Peterson, DRC, Toler, Wilson and Rhodes doesn’t give u goosebumps.

30. By Chris on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

THEY BETTER NOT TRADE DRC DARREN. I THOUGHT WE DEBUNKED THESE OUTRAGEOUS RUMORS SO SICK OF HEARING IT KOLB IS NOT WORTH MORE THAN A 1ST ROUNDER IN 19 GAMES HE HAS 14 INTS 11 TD’S 7 FUMBLES AND 2 CONCUSSIONS HECK ONE MORE AND HIS CAREER IS OVER. I LIKE KOLB I REALLY WANT HIM ON THE TEAM BUT NOT FOR DRC. KOLB IS WORTH A SECOND ROUNDER AND I MIGHT AND I MEAN MIGHT END UP GIVING UP A FIRST. BUT LET ME REMIND EVERYONE HE IS A FA NEXT YEAR AND PHILLY WONT GET PAID ANYTHING FOR HIM IF THEY DONT TRADE HIM NOW PLUS KOLB HAS TO AGREE TO A NEW CONTRACT OR THE DEAL WONT GO THROUGH (NO ONES GOING TO TRADE FOR A QB WITH 1 YR LEFT ON HIS CONTRACT AND NOT RESIGN HIM AS A PACKAGED DEAL) SO WE HAVE THE LEVERAGE AND SHOULDNT GIVE UP MORE THAN A 2ND FOR HIM. POSS A FIRST BUT I RATHER HAVE PALMER FOR A FIRST OR ORTON FORA 2ND. W.E YOU DO DONT TRADE DRC

31. By Chris on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

ya and that Q guy is an IDIO*T

32. By Chris Lewis on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Trading for Kolb is a good idea, but I wouldn’t give up DRC. It would be a shame to not have a chance to see DRC and Peterson in action together. That could be one of the best corner tandems in the NFL. We have plenty of RBs now, with the drafting of Ryan Williams. In my opinion, and this wouldn’t be an easy decision for me because I really like Hightower, we should trade Hightower and possibly a future draft pick for Kolb. That would still leave us with Beanie, who I still think can be a beast of a back, as well as the talented rookie Ryan Williams. Kolb is still somewhat unproven, but from what I’ve seen of him so far, if our O-Line could give him some protection, I really believe he could take us to the playoffs. I’m just praying we don’t get Bulger or Orton. Neither one of them will ever be close to an elite QB. What are your thoughts Darren, or anyone else who wants to comment?

33. By Bad4ndy on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Philly would be the loser in this trade with nnamdi, Joseph, and Taylor just sitting out there for the taking to trade away a potential franchise qb (and let’s not forget Andy Reid, the guy who is responsible for Farve.. Mcnabb, Vick and rehabilitating Jeff Garcia… gave Kolb the keys to the franchise last year and Ravens head coach Harbaugh has made the claim that Kolb from what he saw in practice was completely unstoppable in the red zone) for perhaps the leagues most average corner.. who had an awful year last season..especially with so much talent at the position available.it wouldn’t sit well with me as an Eagles fan….

34. By Boondock on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Let’s solve this rationally…with math!

Orton + DRC – 2012 3rd Round Pick > Kolb – DRC – possible additional 2012 pick

Let Skelton develop on the bench. PP7, DRC, and Toler make for quite the trio of CBs. I cannot take another season of Michael Adams on the field. If we do trade DRC we better pick up someone good to replace him (his child support fleeing cousin Antonio, Jonathan Joseph, Ike Taylor?).

Sign Quincey Black (or Rudd) from Tampa Bay to play ILB, resign Branch, Sendlein, maybe fat Deuce, add veteran OL and OLB help in FA.

OR Plan B: Start Hall and enter ourselves in the “Andrew Luck Sweepstakes”

Give me your job Graves…I NEVER would have drafted Levi “I didn’t draft me” Brown over AP. I distinctly remember taking off and throwing my shoe in absolute disgust.

35. By randy on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

This comes down to money. I believe that DRC has 1 year left on his contract and he is going to get A LOT of money in free agency. The Cards will not be able to resign him, so they figure why not get something for him now. However, I wish we could see 1 year of DRC and Peterson playing together. If DRC does stay, I’m thinking we might have the highest paid secondary in the NFL.

36. By BIG RED on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Why is it that all this NFL experts think they know a lot of Football. Big John won two games his first year, including the team every expert said would win the super bowl ( the cowgirls from dallas). There saying that JS is not a starting QB in the NFL, well then what about Tim tebow, he only won one game and he came out of a big college program. So, if a little kid from little Fordham beats on americas team, I quess the texas team sucks, right experts. So don’t knock down on Big John Skelton, his going to prove to all you experts wrong. So, You’ll be talking about JS for the coming years as one of the best QB. Especially that Idiot Jaime Dukes. And what’s so sad is that he was an ex-Cardinal.

37. By SteveDCO on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Im a Skelton fan too but he isn’t ready to lead this team next year. He needs time to learn the pro offense and adjust to the speed of the game. Having no offseason is hurting him.

IMO keep DRC and if Kolbs price goes too high give up a 3rd for Orton. Talk radio in Denver had him a top 10 QB before the wheels came off in Denver.

Kolb or Orton would be enough to win the division if the defense is able to take the needed steps forward.

All of this is dependent in getting an OL in place or we could have Manning back there and loose 10 games

38. By Darren Urban on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Questions

1) How do you know if the trade value has been jacked up? You see what the Eagles want. I wouldn’t trust anyone to say, “this is what we’ve been offered.” You give up what you’re willing to give up.
    2) Not sure how DRC would be, but I’m still hoping it’s a moot point (still, DRC’s personality is such, I don’t see him being fazed by fans — in any market).

39. By Matt on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Everyone talks about trading DRC for Kolb or DRC+ a pick for Kolb. If anything we give up DRC for Kolb plus a 2nd or 3rd round pick. DRC is a 2 time pro-bowler and Kolb has been in the league for 4 seasons and has only played in ~20 games, started 7 and thrown for 1200 yards. If we trade a player for a QB it should be Beanie for Carson Palmer. I know the Bengals dont want to trade him but he would be the Ideal QB to grome Skelton. Skelton is the Future!!!

40. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Just guessing on a bigger trade value on Kolb, Darren and wouldn’t mind it a bit if more pieces are involved. (Within reason. I don’t like future picks included.)
    But the picture most media paint of DRC is VERY childlike and the image of him not playing well in Philly could get scary to me. Everyone knows his small college background and his propensity for Dora the Explorer.
    If you have a different hue of his pallet of colors, I’d like to hear to it.

41. By Nick Pepe on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

No one here can say trading for Kolb is a good idea. Regardless of what you give up to get him. Again, he has started 6-7 games, and looked good in only 2 of those. This with a team that is heralded as one the premier teams of the NFC (the same perception that they had when they were supposed to blow out the Cards in the NFC champ game). If ou look at the skills needed to play their respective positions, DRC is head and shoulders a safer bet to be a star at his position than Kolb at his.

Howard Eskin, reliable source…….still laughing at that

42. By Billy on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

So I was just thinking. Everyone says that one of the teams who has the most cap room to spend is the Arizona Cardinals, and of course now (take this Bidwell) they have to spend it. Now the biggest free agent out there, arguably, is Nnamdi Asomugha. Is there any feeling that maybe the Cards are thinking of trading DRC to the Eagles for Kolb knowing that they will need to spend big and they might as well spend some big money on Asomugha if they have to spend it? I’m just thinking that that looks like they win on both sides if they do that. They get (again arguably) the best CB in the game along with a potential franchise QB for little more than a mid-level draft pick.

This just floated through my mind when they mentioned we had a lot of cap room and the DRC trade sounds so crazy, unless put into this context.

43. By Eazy E on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Ray horton wasn’t talking directly to DRC. He just said what he likes. Corners need to be able to cover, tackling is 2nd. If you’re depending on any cb tackling, you’re in trouble on defense, I don’t care who it is. I want DRC locking it up on the outside like he does and wrapping up the ballcarrier like he does. He doesn’t have to knock your lights out to be a great corner, just shut guys down and then wrap them up, I’m good with that, DRC is a pro bowl cb and only going to get better. It is a joke and laughable to give the eagles DRC and put him with samuel and we get kolb. #SMH

44. By John on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

1) There is zero chance Philly trades Kolb straight up for DRC . Philly will never go along with that trade. I used to live in Philly so I know that organization very well.
    2) If it is DRC the trade is going to be DRC and a second round pick for Kolb. The best we can hope for is that it could be a conditional 2nd rounder based on Kolb playing a certain percentage of snaps in his first year. If he didn’t meet that criteria through either coaches decision or injury then it would be DRC and a third rounder.
    3) While it would be a steep price I believe it is well worth. Kolb is a future superstar who never got a real chance in Philly due to them falling in love with Vick. This happened because Philly had a terrible offensive line which required a great athlete as QB that could run for his life which perfectly suited Vick. Even with Vick Philly still gave up tons of sacks last year. Kolb is a very accurate passer, great person who is loved by his teammates (Trent Cole calls him the next Tom Brady) and has a more than average arm for deep passes. All he needs is a decent O Line to give him an average amount of time in the passing game!

45. By ross on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

I love passionate football fans.

46. By Joe Holst on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Kolb has jumpy feet in the pocket.. Carson Palmer would lead this team much further, we need to bring in defensive players that can bring the heat on 3rd and 4th down..

47. By Darren Urban on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Billy —

RE: Cap room

Having $35-$40M in cap room sounds good. But don’t forget that a) you still need to fill out a roster that only has about half its players as of now, b) you need to re-sign Fitz, which won’t be cheap and c) if you deal for Kolb (or Orton, for that matter) you’re going to want to sign them to an extension as well. As for Nnamdi, I don’t see the Cards spending $18-$20M a year on a CB, especially when they just drafted one fifth overall — do you?

48. By cardsalltheway on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Cap Room,
    Thank you Darren for preparing us for ANOTHER cap room failure.

49. By Nick Pepe on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Easy E: I think you nailed this one.
    John: I still live in the market and I think you are giving Kolb too much credit.
    And whoever it was that said Kolb has “happy feet”: you have obviously seen him play. Point on target

50. By mtizzle on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

@Bob Diesel, i am sorry nobody is listening to you.

this is not only about what to give up to get Kolb, but what to give up to keep FITZ. as much as i’d love to see skelton develop, he’s not going to do that with Andre Roberts as his #1 WR. skelton might have a grea tcarrer, but guve him time to develop. steve young played how many years behind Montana? Cards need to make a move now for a QB or they will lose their most popular player EVER and the face of the franchise. sorry, keeping skelton won’t get it done. cards have the cap space to compete with anyone’s offer financially, but not wiht a chance to win it all

and financailly, a good point is made about DRC going into a contract year. Wilson and Rhodes are already paid well, and space will need to be saved to pay Peterson big in a few years. If Cards can sign Ike Taylor to a good (but no means what DRC will command) deal, they get a stop gap at CB to allow them to draft and develop another young corner to take his place. I’m sorry, but i’d much rather have a stop gap at CB than QB. especially since it would mean losing Fitz.

51. By Dave on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Is anyone taking Larry Fitzgerald into consideration? Obviously, regardless of what is printed, being the franchise “STUD”, he does and will have a say in the QB situation. Correct me if I’m wrong Darren, Fitz has never mentioned Skelton and has made it known he would like the Cards to go after Kolb. I agree with Fitz……..

52. By cards62 on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Very good discussion on Kolb. Like I have said many times before we all have our favorites we are rooting for the Cardinals to sign so there is no way we are all going to be happy,but I think most of us will be some what happy if our Cardinals do something at QB, OL, LB. We are not Skelton haters and we would love for Skelton to beat out anyone we bring in, but the chances of that happening in 2011 is slim to none and I and many others did not want to bet our 2010 season on Anderson and we do not want to bet our 2011 season and Fitzgerald on Skelton.
    Seattle is ran by Pete Carroll former USC coach so I can see him going after Palmer, Leinart, Kolb, Orton, Those are the kind of QBs he likes.
    49ers have former QB Jim H. at the helm so I can see them going after the same guys. Titans have to sign a veteran QB. No one seems to want or is talking about Vince Young and I just think Andy Reid will pick him up for nothing making Kolb expendable. The big question is do the other teams drive up Kolb’s price.
    Guys I tell you what I can not get out of my head and that is why would Kolb talk so much about coming to the Cardinals instead of just saying I love Andy Reid and Philly, but I am ready to be a starter now and I wish to be traded to a team where I have a very good shot to be their starter. I think a deal is already worked out and maybe it is for DRC. I hope not I want a year of that super secondary and no Michael Adams on defense. WIth Wilson, Toler, Peterson I do not think you need DRC to be a thumper just break up passes and make a few tackles. I watched the draft this year and was very happy with our first pick and wanted us to take Kyle Rudolpth TE Notre Dame with our second pick, but I just knew we were going to take a LB with our second pick as there were 2 highly regarded LBs on the board and we took a RB, Williams, from Virginia Tech. I could not believe the pick and I still can not believe the pick it is just not logical so I am going to hope that we drafted Williams for the Eagles knowing they wanted him for Kolb and we will keep DRC. This is my thinking and I will be happy if it happens or if we get Palmer or Orton to be our QB. Go Cards! Come on football the suspense is great, but I am ready for some action.

53. By Jacob on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

All those saying Skelton is the future and we should give him a try are missing the point. Now don’t get me wrong, Skelton showed promise, and could be a future franchise QB for us, but he’s not ready to start. And no, we can’t let him play for a year and be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes, or pick up Kolb for free in a year.

Maybe in an ideal world we could write off this season to some extent, given the lockout and the lack of time for the team to practice together, and hope for a better quarterback next season, or simply see how Skelton develops. However the wild card here is Fitzgerald. If we don’t commit to bringing in a proven veteran QB this offseason, he will walk next season. He’s loyal, and he’s professional, but he wants to win, and he won’t sign a contract with us if we are trying out Skelton, or waiting to draft a QB in 2012. I’d like to think Fitzgerald wants to remain a Cardinal, and would want to win a Superbowl with us over anyone else, but in order for him to stay we have to show him that we’re competitive, and that we have a QB that can help us win. I don’t know if that QB is Kolb – although, tellingly, Fitz did mention Kolb as a QB he’d like us to target – but it certainly won’t be Skelton, at least not yet. If it is, Fitz won’t be here in 2012

54. By CZarr on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Kolb = Leinart

Yes, I’m serious. If you watch film from both, they look very similar. Rhythm passers who excel if the first read is there, but pocket presence falters and mechanics go south if they have to go through their progressions.

If staff’s problem with Leinart had anything to do with how he plays quarterback on the field as opposed to in the locker room or at TC then Kolb is NOT a good idea. Hey, but don’t worry if we get him, I’m sure he’ll have LOADS of intangibles just like DA did right Wiz?

Give this article a read: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/13/kevin-kolb-schaub-like-or-feeley-ish/

My favorite quote is “Arizona has among the worst lines in the league and are rumored to be potential suitors for Kolb. Have they learned nothing from Derek Anderson?”

55. By Sackman on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

If Arizona goes after Kolb, it will be a trade with DRC. I believe they will pick up Ike Taylor from the Steelers. He fits well with Horton and he is physical too! However, I am hoping that they will not get Kolb and go after a veteran Q-back instead just to help out for a year or two. If we are going to spend cap money lets put it all on the OFFENSIVE LINE. Talk is talk though. Boy I sure can’t wait for football.

56. By CZarr on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

As a side note, I didn’t intend to sound so expletiveish. I’m just a frustrated fan. Between the QB debacle last year, the lockout BS, and staring down the barrel of the same gun this year (not to mention media flinging one of my favorite player’s names around in trade rumors to purchase the aforementioned gun) I’m a little… Concerned.

57. By Nick Pepe on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

“Maybe in an ideal world we could write off this season”…..
    Sorry, but I am offended by this statement. Regardless of the reasoning/scenario you are laying out.
    We are not the Lions. We are not the Raiders. We are two years removed from a SB appearance with most of the nucleus still in tact.
    We are not that far away from being a legit contender.
    And back to DRC:
    We have drafted, arguably, the best DB available in the last two drafts. I personally want to see them on the field in Cardinal red for years to come!

58. By brythybo7 on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Grab Young, not Kolb. Kolb is to expensive and Young seems to have more talent than Kolb. Just gotta fix his off field problems which I think will correct themselves if he gets out of Tenessee.

59. By Matt on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Put DRC at QB. He’s better than the 3 QBs we had play last year. Hahaha

60. By mtizzle on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

putting all the money in the Oline won’t keep Fitz. the cards will do whatever it takes to keep fitz and that does mena asking what will make him happen. no such thing as no player is above the team, not when you’re one of the greatest receivers to play the game

61. By Chuck 1 on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Don’t trade or give up draft picks for Kolb.
    There is too much uncertainty about his ability.
    Horton might be able to improve DRC’s performance.
    Instead, sign Orton and/or Bulger. The Cards will probably be able to get them for much less than the Eagles want for Kolb. And, either of them (especially Orton) will probably be just as good as Kolb.

62. By D-Dub on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Okay, I understand that everybody is on Kolb’s junk, since his play over the last few years has been unrealistically awesome (not). The dude has played just a few more games in 4 years than Skelton did in his rookie year, and Kolb’s stats aren’t really worthy of a 2nd round pick (194-319 60.8 PCT 2,082 YDS 6.5 YPC 11 TD 14 INT 20 SKS 139 73.2 RAT 9 FUM 5 Lost. I will 1st state that he has shown alot of potential but no more than Skelton has.
    1)That’s alot of sacks taken in a small amount of games and the Eagles have a pretty good OL.
    2)11 TD – 14 INT…… Not impressive
    3)perhaps the biggest stat I see….. 9 FUM with 5 Lost!
    Needless to say we have plenty of guys with fumbling issues.
    As far as trading an established pro bowl cover corner for a QB with “potential” to be a good QB? NO WAY!!! As far as his inability to tackle, he does his job. Let’s be honest here, the entire team sucked at tackling. When discussing the CB position tackling should not be a major concern, because it is first and formost up to the front 7 to initialize contact and make the stop. CB is run “support” not “Run Contain”

Last but not least, Kolb would still have to learn the offense and the players around him in an extremely short period of time. It would be like training a rookie all over again. I say spend the money or picks on OL, LB or recieveing corps. Go get Zack Miller from Oak (free agent). Trade for a Top Tier OT if you want to trade so bad! Cuz no matter who’s your QB or even your RB you still need a good OL to keep them from getting killed!

63. By clssylssy on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see I’m not the only one who thought Skelton performed well last season under Hellishly bizarre cirumstances. My Steeler friends are also impressed with him and I think he would get snapped up in a heartbeat by another team quickly. That we would consider taking Kolb just so another NFC West team didn’t sign him is kinda scary, especially when it is the general concensus that Kolb=Leinert. I personally liked the way Leinert was progressing, thought he was talented and had matured greatly behind Warner. He got shot down before getting a chance and we all know how that turned out. I think if Leinert hooks up with Carroll again that is a much scarier scenario than the Kolb thing. And why would you want to sign an unproven comodity to an extension right off? The fact that Kolb is SO anxious to get away from the Eagles makes me think there is more to it and we would be foolish to give up too much too soon. I can’t see Vince Young with this team at all because he is such a prima dona and drama queen and are guys are pretty solidly grounded as a unit. This is gonna be a nailbitter and I hope the powers to be will put aside enough money to resign Fitz while getting a serviceable QB. DRC IS fast, and speed can be as good as size. Seems like we need someone with that skill.

64. By mtizzle on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

@ D-Dub:

“Cuz no matter who’s your QB or even your RB you still need a good OL to keep them from getting killed!”

you think warner had a good OL? really? really…

65. By Jake20 on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Kolb is an unproven QB and he is especially not worth giving up DRC. The best solution at QB would be to get Marc Bulger as a stop gap to allow Skeleton to develop so that way we don’t lose out on any players or draft picks or I think Orton would be a great solution! if you look at his stats the past two seasons he has passed for over 3500 yards and had a completion percentage of about 60 percent! He is far more proven then Kevin Kolb we wouldn’t have to give up as much we would keep Fitz and we would have a vet in front of Skeleton to allow him to develop it’s a no brainer!!!!!

66. By D-Dub on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

@mtizzle

“you think warner had a good OL? really? really…”

Warner had a different OL than they had last year and they were actually pretty good. Last year Faneca came in and everyone thought he was still great…… Not even close, Levi Jones does not belong on the Left side. With those 2 on that side we gave up more pressure on the left side than we did the entire time Warner started for us. Last year as we moved Jones to LT we put Brandon Keith in at RT. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! He is a guard! When we put in Bridges after he got hurt the right side was alot better.

67. By D-Dub on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Oh yeah and last thing…… Stop trying to tie in Kurt Warner to current decisions and situations. Warner “WAS” great but he’s not here now and he’s not coming back and Kolb is not him.

68. By jwardaz on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Why all this talk about not giving up DRC? Speed is his only asset, and speedy corners are worthless if they are afraid of a bit of real football contact. He doesn’t have great hands, and he completely fails in zone coverage. Why is this a question? DRC for Kolb and a mid-draft pick = win-win.

Now on to Kolb. i would love to see him here, as a backup and mentor to Skelton.
    Did noone see what I saw last year? He has a rocket arm, accuracy will come with another year of throwing to Fitz and the boys, and when the kid runs he thinks he’s a fullback, which is non-existent in NFL qb’s these days with a majority of them clueless how to leave a broken pocket and do something with the ball.

Don’t give up too much whatever we do. Refine Skelton, get the poor guy some o-line help, and we’ll win superbowls.

69. By mtizzle on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

not trying to tie in warner at all. fact is he did not have a good line. none of those guys went to the probowl or were even close to being considered. lomas brown was the last really good OL we had (and pete kendall before denny green sent him pakcing) .they got the job done, meaning they got warner JUST enough time, but thats it. couldn’t run behind them. i’m not saying Kolb is Warner, but i am saying warner didn’t need a good OL to be grea.t but can you imagine how much better he would have been with one? now that’s scary

again, i’d love to see skelton be a great QB and hope he wlll, but no way Fitz is gonna go for that. he doesn’t have the luxury of time to wait, nor should he, he’s in his prime and wants to win. cards need to make a bold move, somehting they really never have done. whiz, graves, their jobs are all on the line. they need to mkae it happen. otherwise, Bidwell blows up the team and we’re Cincinnati suddenly.

70. By cardsalltheway on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Jacob,
    Fitz will be gone next year! Don’t worry though it’s nobodys fault, blame it on the lockout and not enough time to negotiate or find “Our Guy.” All that needs to be done is for someone to look beyond thy nose and to believe.

71. By Scott H on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Nick Pepe-

Hey, laugh all you want. What is truly laughable is that you actually seem to think that the morning crew on this same station in Philly should be taken seriously in their opinion of ANYTHING! Let’s look at them – a loud-mouth whiner, a hockey guy who hardly says anything, a news girl, and a comedian. Dude, you might as well listen to Howard Stern. You’ll learn about as much from his show about sports as you will from the morning show on WIP! Eskin is an obnoxious and often arrogant guy and many people dislike him for that. Perhaps that’s your issue as well. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t very good at what he does as a media guy. Feel free to get back to me after the trade for Kolb goes through and tell me how hard you’re laughing because Eskin was wrong again.

72. By boss on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Don’t trade DRC he is a good corner

73. By boss on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

andie reed is being stupid to ask to a first round pick for a QB ho has show talent but not worth a first round pick how come he did not ask a first round pick for Donovan Mcnabb a 6 TIME PRO BOWLER DARREN IF YOU EVER READ THIS PLEASE TELL WHIZ NO CARDINALS PLAYER IS UNTOUCHABLE BUT JUST DON”T GIVE AWAY YOUR BEST CORNER BACK.THINK TWICE

74. By BIG RED on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Kolb can stay where he is. Let Big John be our QB, simple as that.

75. By mtizzle on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Yes, let big John be our QB. And let Fitz play somewhere else next year.

Good plan.

76. By John the draft guy on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Warner seems positive Kolb will be a Card. He said a couple of times that he knows the organization is high on Kolb and is likely to trade for him. If you learned anything from Kurt, he is an honest and trustworthy guy. I think it’s time to accept the truth; Kevin Kolb will be a Cardinal. Trading a probowl CB for a starting QB is a steal. QB’s rule the NFL and we found out what happens when you have one (Warner=Superbowl) and when you don’t ( all the years minus Warner and a couple of Jakes yrs). Is Kolb the guy? Doesn’t matter what I think, it looks like he is our guy.

Please stop the Palmer talk. Yes, I would love him and I think the cards would be happy with him but he is not being traded. The bengals will hold him hostage and he will retire there.

As for some of the guys we need to sign, understand Kolb will take 10-12 million when he gets an extension. Sendlin will be resigned along with other players to fill out the roster. Thats another 10-15 million. Next, I think you must bring in another Offensive tackle, leaving not much money to redo Fitz’s deal. Of course cutting Porter and Anderson could free up some money for Duece, which would be a good idea.

What that means is, Breaston most likely won’t be resigned. A big name LB or CB won’t be signed. Even if DRC is moved, I can’t see a big named guy being signed. I’ve watched the cards too many years. Our big splash will be Kolb and resigning Fitz and maybe an Offensive Tackle. That will be good enough to win our division.

77. By BIG RED on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

I’m with you mtizzle, thanks for agreeing. You won’t be sorry coach Whiz!

78. By mtizzle on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

uhh, big Red, I was being sarcastic…

not a good idea to let Fitz walk.

2. Jul 19, 2011: Kevin Kolb’s visions are good news for Arizona Cardinals | Arizona News