Breaston: “If I’m meant to be here, I’ll be here.”

Posted by Darren Urban on July 20, 2011 – 6:00 pm

Wide receiver Steve Breaston, a free-agent-to-be, was matter-of-fact when it came to his future while doing an interview with XTRA 910’s Bickley and MJ this afternoon, saying of his chances to remain a Cardinal, “If I’m meant to be here, I’ll be here.”

“I enjoy playing in Arizona, I enjoy it a lot. I enjoy my teammates and I like living out there,” Breaston said from his hometown near Pittsburgh. “I want to be there. … There were a lot of issues about my knee but I know I will be ready for the season.”

Breaston said the knee that hampered him all season is fine now, but he also didn’t want to talk about it much, saying it meant nothing for him to say he was OK — only that he needed to prove it on the field. Of course, he’ll have to sign somewhere before he can really show that. He’s been working out with teammates like Adrian Wilson and said he is stronger in his legs, and admitted last year was inconsistent, in part because of the knee. He didn’t have any further surgery, but the rest made a big difference.

Breaston is one of the many potential free agents who will soon flood the market once the labor situation is settled. His chances of returning to the Cards may be based on his market value, and what other teams may offer.

“I’ve been patient,” Breaston said. “Hopefully if I am blessed, that day will come where I get what I deserve. … I want to be involved with this organization. It’s wait and see.”

Tags: , ,

35 Responses to “Breaston: “If I’m meant to be here, I’ll be here.””

1. By Scott H on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Sincerely hope Steve-O will indeed be here.

2. By Austin on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

The Cards are crazy if they let him go. Love that guy

3. By az88 on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

resign steve , what do you think darren

4. By Chris Waldrop on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think the Cardinals games or post-game interviews would be as fun to watch without him there.

5. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

The “Miracle Baby” has gone through much more than this
    His family’s love with an unexpected surprise pulled him through an abyss
    He fought through poverty living on cheese
    His aspirations after a Wolverine didn’t end as he pleased
    A late round choice of the Cards wasn’t golden
    After all, he’d have to beat out legendary Fitz and tough Boldin
    But he overcame his reputation as a special teamer
    And with that 180 pounds became a thousand yard receiver
    Now with a bad knee and free agency awaiting
    He wonders why his past effort has Arizona debating
    On whether to keep him or give him a diss
    If your asking me, he am what it is

Please come back.

6. By tom on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

well i could see the cards choking on this move and not re sign him. hes everything you want in a football player with production that warrants a contract and is well liked in the locker room. and something tells me fitz will not be thrilled if breaston leaves… just a thought. lets see if the cards choke with breaston.

7. By Jerry on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Breaston rocks. I would hate to see him leave. What a team him and Fitz make. All this for high ego and overpriced QB thats only going to be here a few years, that sucks.

8. By MikeFlorio on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

This is AZ baby!!! we will let him go, cause A. we either dont want to give him the money he deserves. B. A better team will want to sign him. If the past has any indication of which it will be, I am thinking he wont be here. God who would want to play WR for a team with no QB.

Will we please cut Anderson and Hall already..

Urb? Whats the training camp schedule look like this year.

9. By Leo on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Steve has played a huge role on this team the last few years. The front office needs to take care of him. Hopefully they will !

10. By John the draft guy on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Is Breaston Alvin Harper or T.O.? Let me explain.
    Breaston plays with the great Larry Fitzgerald. Everyone will agree that most of the attention is spent on Fitz allowing breaston to make a lot of plays. But is he making plays because he is a legit #2 WR or is it because of Fitz.

When Alvin Harper was with Dallas with Irvin on the other side, he became a star. Tampa thought he was so good they broke the bank only to watch Harper flop without Irvin.

On the other hand, Terrel Owens played with Jerry Rice. But when he got his chance, he showed he could be the guy (minus all his issues).

So, my question is, when Breaston signs with, say, the Rams, will he be a harper or T.O.? Meaning, will he shine without Fitz or is he a guy like Harper who is a nice deep threat who will catch 40-45 passes.

just a thought

11. By Darren Urban on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

MikeFlorio —

RE: Camp

There won’t be any camp dates until the lockout is resolved.

12. By Mark on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

When I think of why they should bring back Steve Breaston, I just think back to game one of last year against the Rams when he made that incredible hustle play to save a touchdown amd the win.

13. By Nick Pepe on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

As he had any other choice than to “be patient”?
    Just saying

14. By John the draft guy on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

One more thought about Breaston, Lets look at the cards M.O.

Antonio Smith is coming up for contract, they draft Campbell
    Rolle was suppose to be replaced by Rashad Johnson.
    Doucet was the same type of player as Boldin as was suppose to replace him.
    Levi Brown drafted so as Davis becomes a FA
    Washington picked, Dansby goes free
    Roberts was drafted to replace Breaston ???
    It just fits.

The big one is….. Is Peterson replacing DRC because he is being traded???

15. By Kevin on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Love Breaston, hope he stays.

16. By Eazy E on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

We’re in big trouble if we lose breaston and replace him with roberts or anybody on our current roster. Sign breaston.

17. By joe67 on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

I think he will be in AZ or KC

18. By Chris on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

SIGN BREASTON!!!! I am worried we wont becuase if he signs somewhere else i beleive we get the other teams 1st round draft pick….but we need stevey!

19. By Darren Urban on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Breaston

Breaston will be unrestricted. So no, the Cards won’t get a draft pick if they lose him.

20. By Jeff on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

After the lockout ends, there is the 72 hour period where teams will be able to sign their own free agents before free agency officially opens. Are you aware whether that means there will be no trading before that time either? Like trading for Kolb for example.

Thanks

21. By Darren Urban on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Jeff —

RE: Trade window

I would expect trades to be allowed right away, since those players are already under contract. But I do not know for sure.

22. By The Fanimal on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Dont even mess around and “Pay dat man his money”! Stevie B. is a stud!

23. By Joe-B on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Get him resigned!

24. By Jeff on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Ok thats what i was hoping for, it makes sense. Thanks darren. Just got my wisdom teeth out yesterday, hoping for something interesting to read while im sitting around the house!

25. By John the draft guy on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

For those who want him resigned, how much should you pay him?

You do understand those things come into play?

Fitz is going to get 18 million a year. So how much does Steve get? 5 million? 6 million? Does he want more? I think you must see what the market will demand.

So if we get Kolb / Orton, it will cost 10 million to extend them. So between Fitz and Kolb it will cost around 18 to 20 million. The cap money we have is 37 million, giving us 17 mil to play with. A solid tackle will cost 5-7 million, a good one 10-12mil. Duece will cost 6 million. and then you have 30 other guys to sign to have a roster. You know, guys like backup DEs, CB, LB, OL, ect…

So, maybe you fit 5 million in but what if Breaston wants 8 million? Do you know what he wants? Maybe the market says he is worth 4 million. Now you can resign him. I think the cards are playing it right even though it doesn’t seem right to Steve.

It’s tough because If you have a star wr who demands big money like Fitz, you will see the number two guy move on every 4 years. Or get rid of Fitz and you can have 3 Breaston type players. But can you imagine what would happen on this board if they let Fitz walk??

I like Steve, He is a tough, hard playing player. I think someone will offer more than we can pay. The cards are looking to make a splash with their QB. I would be surprised if he returns.

26. By modavaysean on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

I hope we don’t but if we do let Breaston walk . What are the odds we go after a WR like Randy Moss who would probably come cheaper than most think bc of his age .

27. By R Robles on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren Im hearing rumors of a trade for Kolb for DRC that is so dissapointing like cmon Kolb hasnt even proven he can last a season & for DRC what? Im really gonna be pissed if that happens if he goes we better get Trent Cole too. DRC Toler & Peterson Wow whatta combination of people to run defence.No way i want DRC outta AZ. I hope this is false

28. By Darren Urban on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Modavay —

RE: Randy Moss

Odds? Zero.

29. By Ty on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

They put on fox sports AZ that Fitz scheduled a private workout with Kolb at the ASU practice field. Darren, do you know if this is true or not? And if so what do you think about it?

30. By Darren Urban on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Ty —

RE: Fitz/Kolb

I have no idea. If he did, sounds like a smart move.

31. By NJAzCardsFan on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

My 2 cents on re-signing Breaston- It would be a HUGE MISTAKE to let him walk. He is a hard worker and a class act. More important he is a proven commodity on the field……

32. By brad oneill on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Douecet is way under appreciated by the fans. He played great when he was subbing for boldin and he just happened to get bit by the Injury bug. anyone here remember a guy named Kyle vanden bosch? Get off the guys back he was behind two of the premier receivers in the league and when he finally got his shot this year he was hampered by an injury and didn’t exactly have a premier guy tossing him the rock.

Breaston- my gut feeling is the cardinals are about to screw up and let him get away. i hate it, hate it, hate it. I have pulled my hair out for years as we let great guys get away that i thought were on the verge of being fantastic. Novacek anyone, garrison hearst ring any bells? please find a way to keep this guy even if he costs more than you think you should pay.

PS- the new salary cap rules mean that the cardinals have to spend some serious money, 99% of the cap has to spent this year. that means teams like us that are normally cheap are going to be forced to spend and conservative people tend to spend on what they know. Good news for Sendlien, lutui, breaston, etc!

33. By Tom Moran on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

Breaston is a 6 or 7 mil a year guy and cards have plenty of money to spend now.Keep StevieB!

34. By Theblindtiger on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

The Chiefs really want him. Chiefs fans do too.

2. Jul 21, 2011: Around the NFC West: Cards ready to deal | Arizona News