Growing the negotiating team

Posted by Darren Urban on July 20, 2011 – 9:53 am

Whenever this lockout wraps up, there will be a lot of work to do in a short amount of time before training camp. There will be so many players/agents to contact/negotiate with — from drafted rookies to undrafted rookies to the Cards’ own free agents to universal free agents — that it was going to be difficult if not impossible for general manager Rod Graves and salary cap administrator Justin Casey to get everything done.

But I had a chance to speak to Graves this morning and given the circumstances, the Cardinals will be expanding the negotiating team. Director of player personnel Steve Keim, director of pro personnel T.J. McCreight, assistant director of pro personnel Quentin Harris and director of football administration Reggie Terry will be joining Graves  and Casey in the work. Obviously the more complicated contracts will be left to Graves and Casey, but the expansion will allow the Cards a chance to function in what is certain to be warp-speed work.

Tags: , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Growing the negotiating team”

1. By k. on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

I was worried about this but am very glad to hear they have more people involved in the situation.

2. By Nick Pepe on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

I hope and pray that they have the best frenzy squad in the league. Good luck gentlemen. Get busy!!

3. By Ymmy on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

I first heard this concept from Pat Kirwan on Sirius/XM NFL Radio. I love this idea. Growing the negotiating team will be a must for every team in the league. I hope it goes well. Hopefully they put a call into Mankins if he frees up.

4. By Jesse Robles on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

ORTON IS BETTER THAN KOLB!!

5. By VoiceofReason on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Good – I’m glad to see the proactive, forward thinking move to expand given the circumstances.

Now I worry about what they feel are the “complicated” contracts. Anything more than league minimum? Which means no expansion at all? The lion’s share of the important work will be signing key free agents (like at quarterback) very quickly, perhaps engaging in trade negotiations, while at the same time working to sign the rookies and address other key positions, such as OLB, the interior OL, and ILB. As there will be a tremendous flurry of activity, a singular focus simply isn’t acceptable nor will it produce a final product that will compete.

6. By Deuce on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

I don’t envy those guys. Free agency is going to be complete chaos when the lockout ends.

7. By joe67 on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren, do you think anyone is naive enough to think there hasn’t been some kind of communicating and negotiating been going on between agents, owners, players G.M.’s etc.? The Bidwills and the Browns go way back. Can’t believe there hasn’t been some talk between them about Palmer. Same with Eagles mgmnt and Cards about Kolb. Or maybe I should say “OMG I hope so”.

8. By ALONEEAGLE on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Long time no blog First of all I hope this thing really gets done and there are no more hang ups. Sorry I should have asked how you are doing first of all. Well I hope. I would like to hear your opinion on the bomb dropped by thr NFLPA in regards to the insurance policy and each player on current rosters to recieve $200,000 if there is no season. Second of all, I have to agree with Jesse Robles. I really believe that Orton would be a much better decision than Kolb. I think the Eagles are asking to much for him, and they are entirely to eager to trade him. Also, what if anything have you heard about whom the Cards are targeting in free agency? I know, dumb question, just thought I would ask. One other question, exactly how much under the cap are the Cardinals, and are they going to be willing to spend to put a contending team on the field? I only ask because of past years. I mean heck, if we are well under the cap, I believe they should go big, intelligent but big. What are your thoughts Darren? Go Cards!!!

9. By Javi on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

darren, who might the cards get as an offensive linemen, and if you dont know, atleast give me your take on who you would take as a gm, please, thankyou for your time

– javi

10. By Scharf on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see them planning ahead instead of coming down to the last few days and wondering, how are we going to get this done?

I believe in any Quarterback the Cardinals bring in. I just hope their completion percentage is greater than 50% *cough* Derek Anderson *cough*. I’m kind of leaning towards Kevin Kolb because we share a similar kind of offense and the fact that he could transition a lot easier than say.. Kyle Orton. But we will see who is standing in that Question Mark of a position.

11. By Tod on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know if Orton is better than Kolb.

But if the price for them is the same, I would probably take Kolb.

Plus … there is no way I’m giving up DRC. Not that he isn’t a challenge. But, having two top flight corners will greatly improve the defense. I’m not willing to give that up for either quarterback.

12. By Darren Urban on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Aloneeagle —

RE: Cap room

I think they have money to spend and likely need to spend to get to the cap floor, which will be higher than usual. And they will need to spend to be a contender.

13. By Darren Urban on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Javi —

RE: OLinemen

Honestly, I do not know the main names available. I want to see who they try to retain of their own guys first.

14. By VoiceofReason on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Another point to make is that with the higher draft pick’s salaries being less under the new rookie scale, that means even more money will need to be used to sign veteran players to reach the floor and, ideally, be near or at the cap.

This is still a very winnable division with the right moves being made in the next two weeks.

15. By Jesse Robles on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Tod,
    Look at the stats, not what people are saying. There is no reason for anyone to say Kolb is anything but a back up at this point, he has done nothing. Look at Ortons numbers.

16. By Scott H on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Jesse Robles –

We all know that Orton had a really good season last ( then again, he also really fizzled out big time late in the year, opening the door for Tebow to get some starts ) but…what did he do before that that was so great??? Say what you want about his numbers, but the fact remains that he has yet to convince a team that he is THE guy. Heck, he just had a very good season in Denver and yet the Broncos may very well be more inclined to go with Tebow and let Orton move on. He just strikes me as a guy who can play great for short stretches but ultimately lacks consistency.

That being said, having Orton wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. I take him ANY DAY over McNabb, Hasselbeck, or Bulger. But on the other side of that coin, I definitely take Kolb, Palmer, or even Skelton over Orton. And at this point, it looks like it’s gonna be Kolb.

17. By Alberto Sordi on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Orton is not better than Kolb. I saw him with the Bears and all he can do is manage a game not win it.

18. By Jeff Gollin on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

I was hoping to hear that the Cardinals had expanded their negotiating team. I hope they’re doing the same thing with their legal, medical, training and other support staff,

“It’s going to be a zoo!”

19. By Jesse Robles on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Everyone taking Kolb over Orton have no justification for that decision, just because they hear Sando, ESPN, NFL.com and AZ central talking about Kolb, they too are badnwagoners with no facts to justify their decisions. I would take Palmer over everyone, yes, easy choice. I said LOOK AT ORTONS NUMBERS COMPARED TO KOLB, and Kolb has done nothing. He is not worth what they are asking for. All these people wanting Kolb for DRC, or the same people wondering why the Cardinals didnt Keep Rolle and Dansby…becasue they aren’t worth what they are asking for. What we give up for Orton would be way less than Kolb and right now (STAT WISE) Orton is the better deal. Sorry guys, continue to give Kolb Invisble Credit for nothing he has done.

20. By Chuck 1 on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

I heard on TV this morning that there will be 400 FAs, 600 drafted players and 600 undrafted FAs.
    Quite a job for Graves et al.

21. By Scott H on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Jesse Robles –

Hmmm…you say that we should compare Orton’s numbers to Kolb’s because Kolb has done nothing…wow, great idea! Why didn’t I think of that? Let’s make a list of 10, 20, 30 QB’s who have done nothing and compare them all to Orton. My guess is that Orton’s numbers will look pretty good. You, my friend, should be Kyle Orton’s agent. Then, his life would be absolutely perfect!

Newsflash, dude – the Cardinals are well aware of what Kolb has done to this point. Obviously, they are basing their interest in him in what they think he CAN DO going forward, NOT what he has done so far. Do you get this now?

22. By cards62 on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren very good article and very good news. Please post this quote from Abraham Lincoln in Rod Graves office, “Things may come to those who wait,
    but only the things left by those who hustle. This will never be more true than with free agency in the NFL in 2011. Go Cards

2. Jul 20, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogA roster reset «