Fitz, Kolb reportedly worked out

Posted by Darren Urban on July 21, 2011 – 1:55 pm

In the end this probably shouldn’t come as a surprise, but foxsportsarizona.com’s Craig Morgan is reporting wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald and Eagles QB Kevin Kolb worked out together at one point this offseason over in Arizona State University’s Dickey Dome. (To be fair, the report said they organized a workout, not that anyone actually saw the passes. I think you can connect the dots.)

I’m sure it was to keep such a thing under wraps but it’s tough to do that forever when there are probably plenty of people at ASU who knew about it and could leak the information. Or another player could have said something. Who knows.

It doesn’t mean anything in terms of whether a deal can actually be worked out to get Kolb to Arizona (even if there are reports Kolb is shopping for real estate in Arizona) but it makes since that Fitz and Kolb would want to take a test drive beforehand.

Now, if the lockout would just end so something real could actually take place …

Tags: , ,

41 Responses to “Fitz, Kolb reportedly worked out”

1. By Ann on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

I was secretly hoping for Kyle Orton…oh wel… :(

2. By Boondock on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

I would still like Orton on the cheap…but if Fitz prefers Kolb, I trust his evaluation. At this point I just want the irritating suspense to end.

3. By Chris B on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

I feel for you Darren. You have tried your hardest to remain above the “Let’s report the same news over and over again but with a different heading” (see arizonasports.com). Once this thing is over, you’ll be the one everyone is looking to for breaking news. Hope your weekend is open, bc it might just happen by then….

4. By Ty on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

You heard it here first Darren. Lol

5. By Peter in Canada on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren – I know that management can not talk to players but is it possible to make the deals before hand and report them when the lockout ends?

6. By Darren Urban on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Ty —

RE: Report

Props to you ;)

7. By Darren Urban on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Peter —

RE: Pre-lockout deals

You would get in pretty serious trouble if you were found out, I’d think.

8. By #1CardinalFan on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Darrren-
    I’d like to think Whiz would prefer a proven QB like Marc Bulger, since in his one complete season he passed 4,000 yards.

9. By D on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Not sure what I am tired of more, the Lockout, the Debt ceiling or the Kolb talk…please stop….

ps. if true, I am sure Whiz can hook him up with a showing of a place in Chandler…

10. By Darren Urban on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

#1CardinalFan —

RE: Whiz choice

I’d like to think whomever the Cards get, the move has been signed off on/endorsed by the head coach.

11. By Mack on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Scale one to 10, do YOU think we resign Breaston. (one of my favorite players along with DRC)

Scale 1-10 we get Peyton Manning. Jokes :D

12. By Ty on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Owners approved the new CBA. We are halfway there!… I’m ready for free agency… Can’t wait to see who the cards get for a QB instead of just rumors.

13. By darthcard on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

I hope this is true. Im dying to get a Kolb# 4 jersey. And am sooo going to the Philly game. Its gonna be weird if he goes to Seattle. Id be rooting for us to win and Kolb to play well.

14. By NJAzCardsFan on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Does that mean Whiz signed off on Disaster Always (DA) last year???

15. By Darren Urban on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Mack —

RE: Breaston

Purely my speculation? I’m putting it at a 4.5.
    But I’m a glass-half-empty kinda guy.

16. By Darren Urban on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: DA

He’s the coach. I don’t see how he couldn’t have.

17. By bluepitt on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

D, what is this Im hearing that the Cards are willing to deal DRC for Klobber?
    I will freeeek out if we trade a proven probowler for an un proven ….well nutn!

18. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Fitz has also worked out with Orton, Tavaris Jackson, Donovan McNabb and Joe Flacco.
    Does this mean they will be Cards also?

19. By Scott H on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Kolb and Fitz together in Arizona…sounds great to me!

Just a thought in response to the folks who think the cardinals should just wait until next season when Kolb will be a FA…well, that would be a great idea except for one small detail – the Eagles are going to trade Kolb THIS YEAR. Period. Regardless of what many people think, Kolb’s value is sky high right now and the Eagles are going to cash in on that value by getting something back for him in a trade. If he becomes a FA and leaves as a FA, they get nothing. THAT is why there is no waiting to get Kolb next year as a FA. That will not happen.

20. By LUKE on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

honestly i really hope orton comes here .look at his numbers last year.and every year he has improved….

21. By drummer-1 on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Everyone keeps calling Kolb unproven, but yet they want to draft Luck next year, wouldn’t it be that Luck is unproven..

22. By kyle on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

hey darren,

you think any of this recent kold news is real? us trading drc for him and fitz working out with kolb? Or in your personal opinion do you think this is just something to restir the fire since the lockout is close to over?

23. By Darren Urban on Jul 21, 2011 | Reply

Kyle —

RE: Speculation

Until it happens, it hasn’t happened. It’s impossible to know for sure what will go down in such a fluid time.

24. By clssylssy on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren:
    Thank you for pointing out the obvious; speculation is speculation and that only until it happens. The entire off season has been full of speculation because there was nothing except fiction to write about. As was pointed out Fitz has worked with a number of players from other teams and all that means is that there are still players out there that are interested in improving their skill set despite all the roadblocks by the owners and NFL.
    I read the proposal that the owners signed (don’t know for sure if it was actual proposal or paraphrased–can’t be an agreement until all parties sign) and my immediate impression was that they were setting the players up to look like the bad guys in all of this. While everybody is ready to get on with football, this off season has been all smoke and mirrors and there is no way we will have a decent season whoever they sign for QB. The season ticket holders are gonna eat this one!

25. By drummer-1 on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

@clssylssy…can you explain why you think we will not have a good season, whats your logic? There was no way we we’re going to the SB in 08 but we did..

26. By Scott H on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

drummer 1-

Good point. Everybody sees it their own way. I really don’t understand why so many people have to get hung up on Kolb being up-proven. What if he ends up proving that he’s a damn good QB? Isn’t that also a possibility??? AND, btw, what is so great about any of the “proven” QB’s that have part of the discussion over the past few months? What have they “proven?” McNabb? He’s proven that he’s pretty much been dumped by two different teams in as many seasons. Hasselbeck? He’s proven that he can throw about 10-11 more INT’s than TD’s over the past three seasons while missing a lot of games to injury at the same time. Check the numbers. Bulger? Um…I don’t even know what he’s proven! Orton? Well, he DIDN’T prove to the Bears that he was the QB they needed and it doesn’t look like he’s proven it to the Broncos, either. Young? He proved that you can win more games than you lose and STILL not be wanted by the team that drafted you.

Just me, but I feel like I know what I can expect from all of these guys. And I say no thanks. With Kolb, I feel a sense of hope because nobody knows where his ceiling is. But I believe that ceiling will be higher than what most doubters are expecting.

27. By clssylssy on Jul 22, 2011 | Reply

drummer 1-
    It’s about chemistry and rhythm and playing as a unit. We have new coordinators who don’t know the players, we have a bunch of players who will be free agents and being in limbo up to the 11th hour is bound to effect them psychologically. The normal meetings, team activities, workouts, conditioning, etc. have been non existent…the players we end up with will not be familiar with Whisenhunts style of coaching, his expectations, etc. Veteran QB’s who are considered to be “proven” some place else won’t necessarily be “proven” in our setting. And, in case you hadn’t noticed, this isn’t the same team as in 08–missing offensive coordinator and many of the players who got us to the SB.
    We still have tons of talent but it’s kinda raw and untamed…another “rebuilding year” as they say.

28. By Alex on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

Do you see the Cardinals going after any of the WR’s in Free Agency. There’s some great talent out there. Holmes, Rice, Edwards, Moore, Santana Moss. Can you see any of those guys being signed to help relieve some of the pressure of Fitz or to play slot if Doucet or Breaston don’t get resigned?

29. By cards62 on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

You make some good points clssylady but remember there are over 500 free agents in the league and many teams have coaching changes including San Fran, and I believe the Rams lost a coordinator so uncertainity is everywhere in the NFL for 2011, and we have a chance in 2011. Stay positive as we knew what kind of team we had before game 1 of 2010 and I think we will once again know what kind of team we will have before the first regular season game in 2011. I am just hoping we do well in free agency. I want and am hoping for a good season in 2011. We are not hearing much this year, but at least what we are hearing is the team is going to make changes. Go Cards!

30. By mike on Jul 23, 2011 | Reply

i would love for kolb to leave my beloved eagles…. and the cardinals could offer good DBs so its very likely kolb could be in red this year. THANK GOD

31. By drummer-1 on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

@clssylssy… I see your point, but every team in the NFC west are in the same boat.. St.Louis new off. cordinator, seattle new off.cordinator, 49ers hole new coaching staff.. So it’s still a winnable division, I say retooling not rebuilding..

32. By Darren Urban on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

Alex —

RE: WRs

Until the Fitz situation is resolved, I would doubt they’d chase after a big-name FA. Doucet will be back.

33. By Anthony on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

I really dont think Kolb is the answer!!! DRC I hope is not being traded for this guy. DRC bad year last year, pro bowl player and has proven his worth. Kolb is going to get killed with our o line. He has no mobility and has already I believe had a concussion and other injuries. Fitz I love ya but stay with Skelton. Big arm, more mobility then Kolb, and has worked in the system last year. I think Skelton can become what we need at the QB position given a legitimate shot. If we must pick up a QB why not some one else as a free agent. Young,Palmer,McNabb for far less then Kolb.Kolb is not worth DRC and 2 other draft picks as reported. He is unproven and has really done nothing to warrant a veteran player and 2 high draft picks!!! Bad move if we do this trade!!!

34. By clssylssy on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

Hey guys! Don’t get me wrong…I know what the West looks like and I definitely believe in the talent that is on our team and in Coach Whisenhunt. We certainly had some great moments last year against the Saints and Cowboys and as usual
    the Cards got a bad rap by the so-called experts and are a much better team than they are given credit for. We have 25 guys that will be free agents and some of those positions will be filled by players coming into this setting cold. That’s a lot of “retooling” factoring in the new coordinators. Of course it’s winnable but won’t be a cake walk.

35. By Scott H on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

Anthony –

If we could get Young / Palmer / McNabb for less than Kolb…then doesn’t it stand to reason that they must be worth less than Kolb??? No, I don’t know the answer to that, but the way you put it, it sounds like Kolb is too expensive, let’s get someone cheaper. Well, how many times in life does it hold true that you get what you pay for? Just sayin that REGARDLESS OF WHO THE CARDINALS BRING IN AT QB, I hope it is the guy THEY feel is the best QB and not some one they can get at a lower cost. Seems like that’s what they did last year and, well…last year is a year I hope doesn’t repeat itself any time soon!

In response to other discussions going on, yes, the NFC West certainly looks winnable. But I think we all thought that going into LAST year, and the Cardinals were a pathetic 1-5 against their division mates in 2010. AND it ain’t like any of those games were close, either. The Niners and Seahawks pretty much pasted us 2X each and even the Rams made it look easy against us the second time they played. For me, that was a pretty humbling experience. Again, while the division looks winnable for the Cardinals, it looks winnable for the other teams as well – especially if it only takes 8 games to win it.

36. By redcity on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

Darren if these DRC fof Kolb deal goes through theres going to be alot of people done with coach Whisenhunt

37. By redcity on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

also if we do trade DRC that would mess up our defence since we dnt know what pp could do in the nfl and with toler which is not nearly as good as DRC this trade makes no sence to me

38. By Anthony on Jul 24, 2011 | Reply

Scott I guess you think I am saying to be cheap, not what I was going for. Kolb to me has done nothing in his short career to demand giving up a corner that has been an all pro not to mention 2 draft picks on top of this. Defense is going to be a big problem and we need all the playmakers we can field on this side of the ball.Lets be honest this team has many holes to fill besides QB play. Lets just say whoever plays QB this year will have an uphill battle

39. By Louisville Card on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren, good article as always. When the lockout started I asked if Fitz might seize the opportunity to workout with some of the potential qb options that were available, which he ended up doing.

My question to you is has the lockout actually helped the cards get the right qb and in turn been invaluable this year. Since I’ve never heard a of team needing to find a qb and being able to actually have their franchise wr able to workout with each one for extended amount of time. I don’t want to seem like the lockout hasn’t been bad for the team in many ways, but to be able to make sure you’ve got the right qb seems to make the whole thing worth it in a way. Just trying to look at it as the glass half full.

This week should be really exciting, and I’m sure you’ll be putting in alot of overtime. so thanks ahead of time for all the work keeping us updated this week.

40. By Scott H on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Anthony –

Yeah, maybe an up-hill battle. And, yeah, there are more holes to fill than QB. But I think QB is definitely the biggest hole. I cite last season as evidence of that! Yes, Kolb is un-proven. But in my mind, there are TWO possible outcomes to that. Seems like a lot of people only see one. To be fair, I don’t think Kolb has done “nothing” so far in his career. If that were the case, how could his value be so high? But he clearly has not done enough to convince many people he will be a good QB. I guess that is fair. But his opportunities have been, likewise, very limited. I mean, this isn’t Alex Smith we’re taliking about, ya know? A guy who is given the starting job for years on end and loses it every year…what else can I say? Time will tell, then we can say for sure what Kolb is or is not. If he becomes a Cardinal, I hope people give him a chance.

2. Jul 30, 2011: Around the NFC West: Hasselbeck’s future | blacxbox.com