Official free agent list from the league

Posted by Darren Urban on July 25, 2011 – 3:44 pm

And the news just keeps flowing …

The NFL released it’s official list of free agents and their proper designations. For the Cards, three players are tendered restricted free agents. WR Early Doucet would produce a third-round pick as compensation if he were to be signed away. Running back Tim Hightower and tackle Brandon Keith would fetch second-round picks if they were signed away. Teams can have them sign offer sheets and the Cards will have a chance to match.

Players that will be unrestricted, either because of accrued seasons or because the Cards didn’t tender them offers, are as follows:

• S Hamza Abdullah
  • TE Ben Patrick
  • NT Bryan Robinson
  • C Lyle Sendlein
  • TE Stephen Spach
  • S Matt Ware
  • NT Gabe Watson

There are a lot of free agents out there. The release, with the names listed single-spaced per team, is almost nine pages long for the unrestricted guys.

Tags: ,

60 Responses to “Official free agent list from the league”

1. By Chris B on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

tendered Doucet but not Breaston… interesting

2. By Darren Urban on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Chris B —

RE: Breaston/tender

Steve couldn’t be tendered. He has played four seasons, which makes him eligible for UFA. Doucet has played three years.

3. By Mitch on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Just heard Heap is being let go and I know that Z. Miller is a FA. Think the Cardinals will try to sign either of them?

Are there any veteran FAs that you see the Cards going after or is it safer to sign a guy like Spach who is consistent and knows the team since there is such a time crunch?

4. By Darren Urban on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Mitch —

RE: TE

I think it wouldn’t shock me to see them go sign a vet TE, although I don’t think they’d break the bank. Have to see what guys like Heap/Miller are worth.

5. By Alex on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Justin Blalock, Harvey Dahl, and Tyson Clabo. Can you see them coming to the Cardinals?

6. By Darren Urban on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Alex —

RE: Various FAs

If they sign contracts here.

7. By wassmann on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Does that mean we dont have breaston this coming season?

8. By D on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Heap has said he would finish his career here, so that would be a good signing, not to expensive

9. By Chris on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Sign Branch, Breaston, Lyle, Duece, Iwebema, and Big Gabe! NO BRAINERS!!! Also PLEASE CUT ANDERSON AND PORTER ASAP.

10. By Darren Urban on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Wassmann —

RE: Breaston contract

It means he is free to sign with any team, including the Cardinals.

11. By Chris on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren~ can you please look at these numbers and tell me how the Cards can Validate Paying a RANSOM for Kolb when Orton has better numbers. Please keep in mind Orton’s numbers were even better when he had marshall the year before in Denver. Also look at Orton’s receivers last year they aren’t even close to philly’s receivers yet but still Orton’s has better numbers than Kolb. Don’t get me wrong i love Kolb and rather have him on my team but not at the Presumably market price, especially if that means trading drc.

KYLE ORTON – LAST YEAR – 13 Games, 3,653 yds, 20TDs, 9INTs, 1Fumble, QB rating 87.5
    KEVIN KOLB – LAST YEAR – 7 Games,1,197 yds 7TD’s, 7INTs, 5Fumbles, QB rating 76.1

Possible 3rd rounder for Orton
    Possible 1 and 3 or DRC and draft pick or even straight up for Kolb.

12. By Darren Urban on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Numbers

Careful with straight numbers. Brandon Lloyd had arguably better numbers than Fitz last year too, and that’s not even a debate. I understand the point, but again, if in the Cards’ analysis Kolb is a better QB/more upside than Orton, they are going to take that into account. I highly doubt, if they think Orton is better than Kolb, they would pay more for Kolb just to say they did it, right?

13. By D on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

If DRC is traded, a few names at CB to watch are Chris Carr and Josh Wilson…

14. By Chris on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Good point sir. 10-4 lol I guess your right. In Whiz we trust right! I just Love Drc and our Db’s right now I hope we can get away with giving up draft picks only for w.e qb we get. Hopefully we will find out Tomorrow so I can stop all this blogging trying to Run down Kolbs value lol!

15. By Tbru on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Lockout over ye…….

wait, what? It is Wahoooooo

I am ready for some football!!!!!!

16. By tom on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

i want heap or miller!!!! they are fellow asu alums! go get them cards! we need a sun devil on the roster!

17. By Josh S on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

I hope we are able to keep Ben Graham, Sendlein, and Breaston. I don’t see Early or any other WR on our roster keeping the attention of a safety and spread the field to let Fitz to get open. I know Roberts started to play much better later in the year, but I think Breaston is seasoned and he still demands coverage. Sendlein would be a foolish non sign, it starts with the center. Lastly I can not say enough how big of a value a good punter is and I think BG is one of the best! We need these guys to be Cardinals, I hope they stay!

18. By John on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Orton had success with brandon marshall and I believe he could do the same with fitz. Kolb has had good games ( his win over ATL) and bad games ( lost 2 Ten).

19. By NEWKOLBFAN on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Kevin Kolb is with out a doubt the best option for the cards right now. he is dedicated and does not bring any drama. he is the answer! Go Get HIM!!!!

20. By joe again on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren —

Sorry if youve already answered this question a gazillion times, but I’ve moved to another state and been off the radar for weeks…..
    why do I have Eagles info where it says ‘Read More’ under your blog picture? I tried ‘refresh’ to no avail — any way to get rid of that Eagles crap — a new address?

Thanks.

21. By VoiceofReason on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Todd Heap will be released by the Ravens. As A-dub has already tweeted, this makes too much sense. Cards, make it happen!!!

22. By cardsalltheway on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

August 4th is the first day Kolb can practice on the field, according to a “rule” ~ Another reason NOT to get Kolb, or Smith, or Hasselbeck…

John Skelton gets a one week head start, yeah!

23. By CardsFan on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

KOLB= DA 2.0…. that’s it!!!!!

24. By tom on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

darren,

ive already decided im not gonna go to any game or buy any cards gear if they trade drc but do you see the deal for kolb happening quickly tomorrow if in fact the cards want him? do you see it happening early tomorrow morning? god i hope we dont trade drc cause im gonna lose it but if they do they BETTER sign ike taylor but ill still be furious… why trade drc when he can be had for picks! makes no sense!!

25. By Darren Urban on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Joe again —

RE: Web issues

Try clearing your cache on your web browser and then refreshing the page,

26. By Darren Urban on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Tom —

RE: Trade

How do you know he can be had for picks?

27. By Chris on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren!

Just heard the cards are able to sign our FA’s!? Can you confirm? Who is first on the list? I would Hope Breaston Then Branch Then Duece

28. By Ken on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for keeping the fans informed Darren. I hope they reinstate your pay soon.

29. By joe again on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Thanks for the help with the web issues.

I just noticed in the Cards schedule that the game start times are listed all season as MST, but I believe that until week 9, AZ is actually on Pacific time zone. Your boss will give you a bump for having caught that.

30. By Javi on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

So, Darren enough with the QB’s nonsence shall we, lets talk Offenisve linemen, will the Cards look in to that in free agency?

Also what about a nose takle or linebacker? will the cards look for one in fa?

31. By Chris on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

nevermind it was just undrafted fa

32. By Andy on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Who are some undrafted FA’s the cards could target?

33. By firemagoo on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren do you think Breaston will be mainly looking at dollar signs in next contract? I know he was joking about a few years ago about Boldin or Fitz getting their deal done so he could rework his. I just get the feeling he will be wanting a payday and while I know we have some cap room we may use it up rather quickly with Kolb, Ike, G/T, and maybe OLB/ILB. I would like to see him stay but what’s your take?

34. By Jzoully on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

BYRON LEFTWICH!!!!! What do you think about us signing him?

35. By Scott H on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Chris –

I’m responding to 2 of your posts here. First, on your signs / cuts, I agree across the board!

Obviously, I’m a kolb guy and you appear to be an Orton guy. Then again, maybe not…because you say that you love Kolb and would rather have him on your team BUT not at the presumed market price. OK. Well, I’d say that if Kolb has a higher market price than Orton, than he must have higher value than Orton ( which I absolutely believe ). If that ‘s the case, then Kolb is the guy I want. Give me the guy with the highest value. As a fan, I think that’s what we always want from our team – a willingness to get the guy who gives you the best chance to win. This team was SOOOOO wrong last year in thinking that guy was Derek Anderson, who had cheap written all over him. Ya know what? Spend more and get more.

I don’t want to lose DRC but I really do think many people are going a bit overboard in their evaluation of him. Fact is, for the duration of his time here, the Cardinals have been among the worst teams in the league against the pass. Is that his fault and his fault alone? No, absolutely not. But maybe he’s not quite the stud many people feel he is. In the end, I think he’s pretty close to what Kolb is – a player loaded with talent and potential but still not yet proven. If that is how the Cardinals are looking at this, then maybe this trade is more even up than many people think.

36. By mike k on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

One of the post above is wrong. Anyone who signs a new contract other than drafted or undrafted rookies has to wait until Aug 4 right? So that would include an FA like Hasselbeck or Kolb if we redo his deal or Steve Breaston. Correct?

37. By nola on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren, what are your thought about the recent news about the release of Todd Heap of the baltimore Ravens. Todd i believe would fit well into the system and would provide a good recieving tight end and blocker until the drft where maybe we look for youth at the position. What are your thoughts on picking up todd heap? do YOU think we will make this happen?

38. By mike k on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

FYI Cards fans,
    The “hating” from the Nat’l media has begun. From a last ditch effort from Seattle to get Kolb or at least up the Eagles asking price, to a report/prediction that Hasselbeck will sign with SF. But my favorite is the rumor that the Cards are targeting Sydney Rice, to leverage Fitz or even create a trade market for him. It’s gonna be a long week.

39. By Darren Urban on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Own FAs

They can start talking to them but no one can sign until Friday.

40. By D on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

In order of priority resigning own players:
    » C Lyle Sendlein
    » DT Alan Branch
    » WR Steve Breaston
    » P Ben Graham
    » CB Michael Adams
    » S Matt Ware
    TE Spach
    Decide on RFA
    Obtain Orten or Kolb
    If DRC is traded:, then shop for Corner Josh Wilson. G-Yanda, OLB Barnes, MLB Burnett, DT Edwards, TE Heap, OT Colon–misc backups and special teamers (wait to see who else gets cut from other teams)

Extend Larry during year and may look to extend Campbell
    Sign Rookie draft picks and undrafted free agents

41. By Darren Urban on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: Leftwich

Not gonna happen.

42. By Darren Urban on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Firemagoo —

RE: Breaston

Bottom line, this could be Breaston’s only chance at a bigger money deal. I don’t know if he has to totally max out his money but he’s not going to give the Cards some massive discount.

43. By Darren Urban on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Mike K —

RE: Timeline

They have to wait to practice, correct. And that goes for the Cards’ own guys or any other new FA.

44. By Darren Urban on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Nola —

RE: Heap

I think it’s possible although the reports were the Ravens want to keep Heap if he will sign a new, cheaper deal.

45. By Darren Urban on Jul 25, 2011 | Reply

Andy —

RE: Undrafted rookies

Maybe Delaware QB Pat Devlin, Michigan State OL DJ Young and USC OL Kris O’Dowd.

(OK, I cheated. Reports have those players already expected to sign.)

46. By cardsalltheway on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

JINX,
    I’ve just jinxed the deal with Kolb.

47. By cardsalltheway on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

DOUBLE jinx!!
    If there are any Card fans that were anti-Leinart but now pro Kolb, I’d say you say contradict yourself.

48. By cardsalltheway on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad I don’t live in Phoenix anymore, if I did I’d demand better morning sport jocks. From abroad I can listen to them and you wouldn’t believe the ridiculous things they say or how silly they sound.

49. By clssylssy on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

I feel kinda bad for Kevin Kolb if the front office brings him in as reported…his stats aren’t impressive and Philliy is WAY to anxious to get rid of him for WAY too much. The fans already are antagonistic toward him and he looks to be another DA in that regard. I hope we don’t lose Hightower, Patrick, Doucet or any of our play makers, given we are so far gone in the way of prep time for new players to learn Whisenhunt’s scheme and get in synch with the rest of the team. We need a good kicker…can’t count how many times that extra point or two has been the difference between a W and a L. Hope the “Powers” in the front office realize that time is not on our side and money spent on signing the right players up front will bring them a return in the future whereas going the cheap skate route will see disgruntled season ticket holders walking out the door (count how many #11 jerseys you see and multiply by the price of your season tickets for starters). Just saying…don’t underestimate the power of the Red Sea!

50. By cardsalltheway on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

Ike Taylor OMG, wasn’t Ken W. wise enough to know McFadden was a special(Steeler) no go case, so what makes anyone think I. Taylor wouldn’t be a special(Steeler) failure?

51. By Chris on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

Scott H

I am a Kolb guy over Orton But Love the Orton from denver Chicago Orton scares me lol. I understand going after the best players is the thing to do. But Look at is this way say Kolb is a 10 Orton is and 8 and DRC is a 7 if you trade Kolb for Drc you are left with 3 points if you trade draft picks for Orton we have 15 points basically I did that silly little valuation to show you loosing players hurt your team and even though you might add a little bit of a better player when you loose one loosing a good player is going to hurt your teams value. The cards have been bad in Pass protection but DRC is the reason we weren’t terrible. I have been at every game since 06 I’ve watched everygame that drc played and he is a TOP 5 cb in this league period. We are so bad because we had guys like adams in the backfield and even toler which i like just not in the top 2 cb roles. So with DRC PP WILSON and RHODES we wont have the problem of a bad backfield and if you add Orton your qb problems are solved. So Yes I love Kolb but NOT if it means destroying a GREAT backfield which we as cards fans have never seen before. I think the team will operate better as a whole if we add orton and keep drc then adding kolb and loosing drc you know?

52. By Chris on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

oh and regarding Anderson I was the number one advocate of NOT getting anderson I LOVE leinart and have ALWAYS said he was the better qb by far coach just didnt like him.

53. By cardsalltheway on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

I’m sure the Cardinals haven’t “cheated.”

54. By brythybo7 on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Any word on whether the Cards are interested in Stephen Skelton at TE?

55. By brad oneill on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

Kolb/Orton Debate- the way i see it Orton gives us the best chance to win right now with the team we have (better numbers) Kolb could lead this team for the next 10 years and will probably evolve into a quarterback that is more effective than orton has been. but there is no guarantee, it is just speculation based on how quarterbacks have progressed in the past with similar skill sets.

If orton is released it will be the second team that was willing to give him up while he still had upside. What does that tell you about a guy? Unlike Philly Denver doesn’t have a top 10 qb waiting in the wings. they have an unproven second year guy with potential. if they are willing to part with orton now It means there is something not on the surface about the guy.

My gut tells me Kolb is the right choice, but i would understand if the cards went after orton if he could be had without gutting our defense and our future roster.

ps early draft picks are far more valuable now with the rookie salary cap. they will be far easier to trade than they have been in the past. if we give up drc and our first round pick for kolb and he flops we will be not only hurting our defense but we will cost ourselves a top 5 pick in next years draft and probably lose larry fitzgerald in the process. that is a big gamble.

56. By Bob Diesel on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

I hate loose players.

57. By Motavaysean on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

I like Kolb but if we trade DRC they need to make it a straight up trade . No picks involved . Maybe a 5th – 6th but thats it . I like Skelton but having both Kolb and Skelton would be nice . If we do trade DRC we better get Jonathan Joseph or Ike Taylor . Ike is aging but probably already knows what Horton wants to do on defense and would probably be a CB/DB coach . Still the prospect of having a bulked up DRC and PP as our starting DB’s was something me and a lot of fans were foaming at the mouth to see . I understand the gamble maybe worth it . I checked a few stats between the rams QB bradford and Kolb . First 7 starts Bradford …7 TD’s 8 INT’s 1400 yrds . Kolb first 7 starts 11TD’s 10 INT’s 1900 yards . The guys is young and i just hope if this goes down we are getting a Cassel or Schuab type player and not the last over hyped eagle QB ( AJ Feely) .

58. By Darren Urban on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

brythbo —

RE: Stephen Skelton

It would not surprise me.

59. By Bob Diesel on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

if you want to look at number with the kolb/orton debate. Toler had double the tackles and one less int than DRC last season. Does that mean he is a better cornerback?

60. By cards62 on Jul 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Do you think Duece will be brought into the building at all for discussions on signing an extension?

If so can you let us know what kind of shape he is in.

I heard about the 3 undrafted players we signed, QB and 2 OL. I like all three of the signings. The WR I liked little guy Dane Sanzenbacher from OSU is rumored to have turned down a $ 20K signing bonus to sign with the Bears as he thinks Martz’s offense will play to his strengths.

Oh it is so good to have football back. Go Cards