Undrafted rookie class includes two brothers

Posted by Darren Urban on July 27, 2011 – 11:13 am

Tight end Stephen Skelton of Fordham and safety Jared Campbell of Miami — brothers of current Cards John Skelton and Calais Campbell — are among the 21 undrafted rookies the team has signed for training camp.

The rest of the lengthy list includes:

• Northern Arizona WR Daiveun Curry-Chapman
  • BYU S Andrew Rich
  • Florida State LB Kendall Smith
  • BYU T Jason Speredon
  • Kansas T Brad Thorson
  • N.C. State G Jake Vermiglio
  • Michigan State T D.J. Young

As has been mentioned before, all rookies are going to have an uphill climb this season because of the lack of offseason work. Undrafted guys usually have a tougher time anyway.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

54 Responses to “Undrafted rookie class includes two brothers”

1. By Mitch on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Do you think that seals the deal on Spach not being brought back for training camp?

2. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Mitch —

RE: Spach

I think the Cards will have five TEs at camp: Skelton, Housler, King, Dray, Spach.

3. By Travis McCollum on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

I seen Stephen play and he got some good skills. I’m happy that we got him. I think he can beat dry our for his spot.

4. By Javi on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

So darren, have the cards looked into getting an offensive linemen, will they look into leonard davis?

5. By David on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Why are the cards moving so slow in free agency?? I feel like we are missing out on lots of opertunity such as, takeo spikes, and Ike Taylor? What is Rod Graves waiting for? And and we going to resign Breaston?

6. By MikeFlorio on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Sean Jeffcoat ?? any relation to Jim Jeffcoat?

7. By brad oneill on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

I am really glad to see Skelton’s brother on this list. I am going to be rooting for these two brothers. if they make it, it will be a great story. I haven”t heard anything about Jared Campbell but I am looking forward to seeing him and his big brother in camp.

a great strength of our team recently has been their late picks and undrafted diamonds in the rough. As much as I want to see a qb I am glad the front office is playing to its strengths and going for the less polished players that may not be getting all the attention right now.

They are playing with fire letting Kolb dangle hoping to bring his price down but at least they are actively working to get a team on the field.

8. By Cards4ever on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Darren,Do u think skelton might add even more depth to the TE position bc he mainly is a pass catcher

9. By NYCardinals212 on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

I think Dray came on pretty good at the end of the season. Though I don’t know anything about Stephen Skelton, it would think it would be hard to beat out a drafted player with a year of experience in this type of season.

10. By theuglitruth on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

I hear we are just about to do a VERY BAD deal…

11. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Javi —

RE: Leonard Davis

Not sure. Whiz was the one ready to let Leonard walk away back in 2007.

12. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

MikeFlorio —

RE: Jeffcoat

Not that I know of.

13. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Cards4ever —

RE: Skelton the TE

I think with Housler and King, there will be a fight between Skelton, Dray and Spach for the other spot. Skelton will be a practice squad candidate too. He’ll have to show on special teams.

14. By Gerard Meagher on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

As a Fordham football fan, I have seen the Steve Skelton play throughout his collegiate career. He has great size, good speed and quickness and a great set of hands and a great pedigree. His father played in the Canadian football league. He is a fine young man and has a great pickup for the Cardinals. He had serious interest from the Bengels.

15. By MoJo on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Any news in our own free agents? Did we sign any one other than Grahm? I am hearing Breaston might be signing with KC!! any update on that

16. By David on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Any chance the sheik gets another shot? thought they were high on him till the injury.

17. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

David —

RE: Muhtadi

I do not expect Dean to return.

18. By ALONEEAGLE on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Well Cards fans,
    It appears to be close to a done deal according to ESPN analyst’s John Clayton and Adam Schefter. DRC will soon be an Eagle and Kolb will be a Cardinal. I really don’t know what to say about it, except it is a sad day for most Cardinal fans, and definately DRC fans. I am glad I didn’t but a DRC jersey. Quite frankly I just don’t understand why they didn’t just spend a 3rd round pick for Orton who is a Veteran with a winning record. No, they have to give up DRC and a 2nd, or even a 1st rd draft pick. What that is also telling me is that the have accepted Skelton as strictly a back-up. From what I am hearing they are expecting to pay Kolb 12 million. Not sure the details on how many years but I understand Kolb wants a long term contract. I really hope Kolb is worth everything the Cards are giving up. So long DRC, it was a pleasure watching you play, wish yoiu the best in Philly. Know you had a down year last season, but I know this year you would have rocked. I believe that between you and Peterson, you two could have been as good or better than what the Jets have to offer. Another brilliaint job by the Management!!

19. By modavaysean on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

HEY quit dragging ur feet AZ and go sign some OLINE MEN .

20. By Devon L on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

PLEASE don’t go for Kolb, do whatever it takes to get Orton he can lead us for a couple years while Skelton gets time to learn. Kolb is all hyped up by the media and I think it’ll be a huge mistake. Especially with this crazy talk of trading DRC for an unproven QB in Kolb.

21. By NYCardinals212 on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Darren Urban,

I think AZCardinals.com is doing itself and the Cardinals fans a disservice by structuring its comments section as it currently does. This should be the first place we turn to have a conversation with other Cardinals fans. As it is now, we cannot comment and respond in real time. A true conversation cannot be had. I understand that as a family friendly website connected the the Cardinals organization, you feel the need to moderate the conversation to avoid inappropriate and off color remarks, but this only leads to a jumbled presentation — leaving the readers to constantly scroll up and down to find responses in order to continue a conversation. You, as well, could respond directly to comments with an updated format. I hope this criticism is seen as constructive because I only want to see AZCardinals.com, specifically its comments section, be used to draw the fans into real time conversation and debate.

Sincerely,
    Andy

22. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

NYCardinals —

RE: Comments

Point taken. Two problems. One, as you mentioned, I am fearful of something getting through that should not. To be honest that does not happen often but it does happen. Two, and more importantly, this allows me to look over every post and answer questions. I’m not sure I will see everyone one otherwise. I can’t promise I will respond all the time. I do not — and will not — monitor this 24/7. I have a life too.

That said, I will try it and see how it works without moderation.

23. By Jahstone on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

YAWN…Bidworst. Just hope that “magic” we experienced wasn’t short lived.

24. By Josh on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

I heard we are gunna give up DRC and a pick for Kolb by the end of the week. If Kolb fails i say Kens era as coach should be over.

25. By Nathan on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Re: Comments

There is a message board link on the fan page if people desire immediate feedback from other fans. I value this more as an opportunity to get comments from you rather than unfiltered fan discussion.

26. By Ridingpedro on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Any word on a time for practice in Flagstaff on Sunday. I’m going to be driving through and want to schedule some time for my son to watch.

27. By cardsalltheway on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

If it’s DRC and a 1st round pick I would laugh because I don’t see how Kolb is any better than John Skelton. What, he has started 7 games to Skelton’s 4, WOW.

28. By Soares on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Please pull Orton away from Denver before Miami gets him! He is so much better than Kolb and will save us a whole lot of money picks and players and Skeleton can develop behind him, please don’t be stupid Cardinals management get after Orton and hurry before he is gone!!

29. By K-DUB on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Will the site post video of the climb like last year? If so cool.

30. By louis navarro on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

I have been a loyal Cards fan for 36 yrs, and I am also a lifelong resident of Boston, yea Championship town…..but today is one of the most disappointing days of my life if the rumors I am hearing is true, why would you trade a top CB, for an unproven QB, when you had so ,any other options, what is this front office doing, why, why, why, someone please make me feel better tell me something positive about this trade

31. By Dry Heat on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

The issue with signing brothers is you may have to cut one, and that may affect the other.

32. By Chris on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Darren, when and if there is a deal for Kolb, who will break the story? Will you have the news posted before the other media sources ie, nfl.com or espn.com?

33. By pipapiko on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Are you guys serious about giving up DRC for Kolb! First off all DRC has been proven! Kolb hasn’t really proved himself as a legitimate qb in the NFL! The only reason why these clowns would give DRC up is because they don’t wanna re-up him top dollars later! Why don’t you guys do yourself a favor and just go get Jake Delhome for qb. And then take Andrew Luck next year as number 1 pick overall! Because either way this season is gonna be a weird and sketchy one G!

34. By Javi on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

So, darren, look, im tired of hearin the analysis at ESPN knowing that the CARDS are going to get Kolb for DRC and a pick, they cant tell the future. Darren my question for you is, is there any other way to get Kolb without giving away DRC?

35. By Kolb_in_AZ on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Assuming Kolb comes to us, can you tell us if the cards are pursuing any top free agent O-line players? Because I think we all agree that it does not matter who we have taking snaps there has to be better protection. Also who would you like to see come to AZ as far as the O-line is concerned? As always thanks for the updates.

36. By stephn on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

What TE have we signed thats named Skelton?, I just know of our QB Skelton

37. By joe67 on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

I just heard guys on Cicago ESPN talking about what a dumb deal it is for the Eagles to guve up Kolb for nothing. They seem to think the Cards are getting a deal.
    I didn’t realize the Daydreamer was that popular in AZ

38. By cardsalltheway on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Dry Heat,
    Skelton’s brother can spend time with/ take time away from any coach that should be spending time with John teaching him something. Coffee break!

39. By BigCardFan on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

I say go for Bulger. We may suck still but at least we could give Skelton the one to two years he needs to be a great nfl quarterback, or we can be in the position to get Luck in the upcoiming draft. Kolb has only started six games in his career and in my opinion si as good as Skelton

40. By BigCardFan on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

I meant is

41. By Eric on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

I have been quietly sitting back lately listening to the Kolb/DRC debate and here is my two cents. For everyone so in love with DRC and convinced he is the answer to all our problems, go buy his Philly jersey. The guy has great skills once, if, he gets a ball in his hands, and thats about all I saw. I did see a guy who absolutely doesn’t like to hit, is a poor tackler, lacks toughness, and blows coverages on a regular basis. Again, good player, but definetly not going to be missed. Our biggest problem was QB last year and clearly the man who knows best, Whiz, wants Kolb because of his age, skills, and work ethic. Hes at a disadvantage coming to a new team with absolutely no off season time to prepare, but I believe he will be the Cards QB for a very long time, and a dam good one. I believe his value, given what we have at the position, is much higher than the value of what we gave up at CB. Lets not forget, we got the best athelte in the draft coming to play corner for us, and Toler is coming along great and is a physical player. DRC is not going to fit into Hortons scheme. So, for everyone crying “huge mistake”, please sell your season tickets so people that can appreciate the team can have them. I am absolutely stoked about this deal and agree with what Warner says about being patient. Even with that, we are still going to be the team to beat in the West. In Whiz we trust and GO CARDS!!!!!!!

42. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Riding —

RE: Camp sked

43. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Kolb in Az —

RE: OLine

I don’t pretend to know who the best O-linemen are. I have seen them linked to G Evan Mathis.

44. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Stephn —

RE: Skelton

The Cards signed Skelton’s brother Stephen, an UDFA tight end from Fordham.

45. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Breaking story

You’ll have to ask ESPN, etc., about that. If an agent leaks it, not much I can do.

46. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

K-Dub —

RE: Climb

Which climb are you talking about? The video of Camelback Mountain? Because that isn’t happening. That’s an offseason thing.

47. By Ben on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Are us fans being to quick to judgement? Do we need some patience?

I guess my question is, come Friday do you expect big things or did us fans expect to much this FA period?

48. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

Ben —

RE: FA expectations

No one wants to hear this, but for me, it is what it is. I don’t know if I really expected anything one way or another. I’m not surprised about Breaston at all. I’m numb to Kolb/DRC. When the team happens, I’ll write about it.

However, given that teams are playing it close to the vest because of Friday — and with an agent tweeting today that teams are hesitant to put out their best offers because guys can’t sign yet and could just shop the offer — I would like to see how the musical chairs stop Friday and where the Cards stand.

49. By Alex on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

I just got told the Kolb trade is done. Please say they’re lying to me.

50. By cardsalltheway on Jul 27, 2011 | Reply

So, we got 6 UDFA offensive linemen. With the 6 we already have means we need 3 more for preseason plus any more depending on who might leave(Lutui, Seindlen, etc…).

51. By cards62 on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Post is on undrafted rookie class. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say on our class?

My favorite is Kris O’Dowd center out of USC. He was very highly regarded but had injuries including knee injury so there is the risk with him, but even with his injuries he was expected to be drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. I hope for our sake and his he stays healthy.

Go Cards!

52. By UC on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

@Eric:

“Our biggest problem was QB last year and clearly the man who knows best, Whiz…”

You’re referring to the same King Whiz who created that biggest problem, all on his own, by cutting the best QB on the roster just before the season started and replacing him with DOA and two rookies.

But thanks for illustrating the blind stupidity of too many Cardinals fans.

53. By Kevino on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

The Cards need to consider Nnamdi Asomugah at corner to give us two lock down corners with the rookie on the other side. Then, we can then send extra pass rushers with no fear. We need to consider adding another proven receiver also. Get Nnamdi and maybe Brealin Edwards and maybe we will have something special this year.

54. By joseph bochenek on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

here we go again,another derrek anderson year 2011.if kolb does not know the system that good ,use skelto nuntil he learns it or we are going to have another year like 2010 or worse. it just looks like kolb does not look like he knows what hes doing. i knew in the past that the cardinals should go after vick or grossman. dont these scouts know what they are doing? i am not a scout but i know..