• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Reacting to the Kolb deal

Posted by Darren Urban on July 28, 2011 – 6:01 pm

After every draft, a slew of draft “grades” come out as people try to analyze what happened. In truth, it’s foolish because there is no way to know at that moment how the class will turn out. In truth, it’s smart, because the draft grades are probably the most read part of draft coverage.

But the draft grades were what I was thinking of today (and the last few days) as the Kevin Kolb trade moved to completion and the reality set in of the Cards giving up DRC and a pick. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said the deal will be judged on whether the team wins, and that is true. I take it even further, which I mentioned on Twitter today: Bottom line, if Kolb wins and plays well, in the end, no one will care what was surrendered to get him. If he is a bust, the acquisition would have been attacked regardless of the compensation.

Take Derek Anderson, who was humanely released Thursday after one very rocky season in Arizona. He was a free agent. He cost nothing. But he played poorly, and most are upset he was ever brought to town.

Everyone will have an opinion on this (and most of the ones I hear are very strong) and that’s fine. If he goes down in flames, I’m sure everyone will pat themselves on the back. If he succeeds, he’ll end up generating the same good feeling Kurt Warner did, even if no one liked how he got here. Heck, even Darnell Dockett was conflicted, immediately tweeting “I don’t know how to feel” to later predicting Whisenhunt would make “big moves” and the Cards would win the NFC West.

As for the big contract, ESPN’s Andrew Brandt tweeted that Kolb’s deal is similar to the one Aaron Rodgers got in 2008 when Rodgers had just seven starts under his belt — like Kolb. So the money isn’t out of context.

Maybe DRC leapfrogs his 2009 season and Kolb struggles and this looks bad in the end. Maybe DRC feels the pressure of being in Philly and hears about his tackling while Michael Vick gets banged up and Kolb shines. Maybe Kolb plays well and DRC plays well and everyone is happy. Who knows. But that’s why we pay attention to this in the first place, right?

P.S. The NFL.com story is wrong. The Eagles did not trade the Cards a second-round pick.

P.P.S. In case you missed it, LB Gerald Hayes was also released today.

Tags: , ,

110 Responses to “Reacting to the Kolb deal”

1. By Travis McCollum on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I hope he turns out good but I just dont see it in him.

2. By Randy the Shoe on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

DRC will shine… Not because he is a great player but because he will guard teams #2 receiver. This will give him success in that sense but he’ll still get trucked by running backs like always.

3. By nrdpmp on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

In Whiz I trust…

4. By Jesse Robles on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Need more moves than 1 big one. Colledge is good for the line. Just looking at a CB, LB, OL, DL, WR??? Didnt want Kolb, over now, hope he does some stuff, pulling for Selton too…

5. By Ty on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren, please tell me the rumors about trading Dockett are false… This cannot happen… Check docketts Twitter. He doesn’t sound happy either.

6. By Delvin on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

One word: OVERRATED!

7. By Eric Y on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Jeeez. That the best pic you could put up? Ha! All I can say is that my FINGERS ARE CROSSED.

8. By Ian Thomas on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I was leaning towards Kyle over Kolb because I feel Kolb has a tendecy to check down to quickly and fitz does not normally run 6 yard patterns.That being said I am an out of area (but AZ born) Cardinal faithful till i die. and i am not the one who gets paid to make those decisions so Kolb is my QB and I will root for him as hard as i ever did for Warner. Welcome to the team Kolb Now lets go win the west……

Darren…… are there any more deals in the works such as looking for a #2 reciever how much room do we have to work with under the salary cap?

9. By chris on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

drc was my favorite player was so happy when we got peterson and him now hes gone…… for a unknown qb whatever

10. By jason woodlief on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

sorry about this being off topic but what is with this rumor that the Ravens are trying to trade for Dockett. Any insight or is it just them inquiring?

11. By chris on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

next offseason im sure dockett for hmm how bout the back up for the bills hell lets give him a chance….. or sign jamrcus russel ohh we beleve in him

12. By Bryan on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

All I need to know is smart front offices would never make this type of trade and sign an unknown and untested QB to this kind of contract. Especially when our defense and o-line are terrible and need to be radically improved through FA and the draft

The most common examples of Aaron Rodgers and Matt Cassel were totally different scenarios involved GM’s who scouted and drafted and watched that QB 365 games a year…and then gambled by investing in their promise based off their experience.

The Cardinals have no clue about Kolb beyond some game tape. Whizenhunt has already shown he is a poor judge of talent when it comes to QB with his bold move of starting Max Hall and Derek Anderson when no one else in the league wanted the guys as backups, let alone starters.

13. By jeffcardinalfan on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

now im unhappy! hayes released????!!!!! wh the #*&^ is gonna play lb?!!!!???

14. By tom on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

WHEN ARE YOU PUTTING THE WHIZ PRESS CONFERENCE UP???

15. By this guy on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

these last 3 days I have gone through the 5 stages of grief. I have finaly come to acceptance and hope for the best

16. By BIGCARDFAN on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

KOLB WE BE GREAT PEOPLE SAY THIS OR THAT ABOUT DRC HE WAS GOOD BUT CB BUT YOU CAN ALWAYS FIND A CB YOU CANT FIND QB ALL THE TIME PEOPLE CRY ABOUT HOW BAD SEASON WAS LAST YEAR BUT CANT HANDLE CHANGE 1 THING IF YOU CANT HANDLE CHANGE GO WATCH BASEBALL OR BASKETBALL WITH THE SAME TIME WINING OR GETTING ALL THE GOOD PLAYERS YOU ALL FOR GET WE HAVE PP AND TOLDER IS A HITTER NOT A PERSON THAT GETS LUCKY SOMETIMES HE WILL GET BROKE DOWN IN PHILLY THEY HAVE HARD CORE FANS WIN OR LOSE HELL OR SNOW THAT THE WAY US AS FANS NEED BE FOR THE CARDS PLAYERS COME AND GO IT LIFE BUT Y STAY SAME WE WON 5 GAMES LAST YEARS OR DID U FORGET I DIDNT KOLB MIGHT COME EVEN IF WE ONLY WIN 9 GAMES I BE HAPPY YOU WILL SEE STOP BEING BAND WAGON FAN AND BE A DIE HARD FAN LIKE THE TEAM NOT THE PLAYERS

17. By Canadian Red Bird on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren:
    Every talk show out there feels we got fleeced with giving up DRC and a 2nd for an unproven injury prone QB. How idiotic of a move by our brain trust. The only thing that is positive about the whole deal, is that it’s over. We potentially had an unbelievable secondary in place. Now we have to bring back diminutive Adams who you can never question his heart; but there is a reason why he has so many tackles. Opposing QB’s target Adams.

I am losing faith in Whisenhunt building a championship team . Oh, I forgot that the other positive now is that we are legitimately in the Andre Luck sweepstakes. I really hope I’m wrong with my assessment of this trade however it sure seems like were rolling the dice big time with Kolb.

18. By wayne on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Any news on any free-agent talks with players from other teams or our own free-agents? Any news on the Cards draft picks signing contracts?
    Thanks, Wayne

19. By ProSportsPhoenix on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Kevin is not a has been.
    Kevin is not a never will be.

The coaches did right on both players.

There are NO EXCUSES now for anybody. Lets’ see the glass as half full because that is the rational thing to do.

We are going to win this year if the coaches are good coaches and we all believe they are regardless of what we write on here.

Thanks again for your service to this Cardinal community it really is appreciated.

Lets Roll

20. By cardfan6 on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I really dont understand why people are hating on this deal. yes the 2nd round pick was a bit much but majority of the time its a hit or miss with draft picks its obvious that kolb can play or else he wouldnt been with the eagles for several years. As far as DRC did any of you watch last season? cause i watched EVERY game and yeah maybe the entire team didnt play well but he relies to much on his speed and for that he gets burnt. he had 1 pretty good season on a defense that was full of play makers. I dont understand how all of you all off season long were screaming the cardinals organisation is a joke they cant even get a qb now they get one and you still scream its a joke the truth is you want warner. warner is retired not coming back. Give Kolb a chance lost his support in philly cause he got injured and a AMAZING Mike vick took his spot. you cant take a guy who is winning out of games. all Kolb needs now is a team and a fan base to support him or chances are he will crumble.

21. By Brian on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Quite honestly, I think this was a blunder. If I could get my season ticket money back, I just might. But I really, really, really hope I am completely wrong. I desperately want us to be successful, but I think the Graves and ownership made a bad call.

22. By RedSea8508 on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Excited for this season. Great trade. Glad to see the Cards taking necessary risks to become a better team. I hate to lose DRC, but I’ll take Kolb over any other QB that was available, ANYDAY! Cheers to the REAL Cardinals fans!

23. By georgiebird on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Bottom line- if the Kolb deal had been done last year- it would probably have been much more acceptable-(even though DRC was closer to being a Pro-Bowler).
    However, last year Whiz lost a lot of the luster from the playoff years. I wouldn’t say Whiz is in free-fall but his stock has fallen off sharply . Those who give Warner credit for the playoff years is an ever growing group.
    It’s time for Whiz and Graves to turn things around – there will be a tremendous amount of pressure on Whiz, Graves and Kolb. After last year’s debacle, a poor start will cause an already disgruntled fan base to abandon ship in droves.

24. By cardfan6 on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

and you cant say anything about him being un proven cause warner was “washed up”

25. By NJAzCardsFan on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I’m a little suprise Joey Porter wasn’t released due to his sub-par play last year and high salary due this year???

26. By Boondock on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I would have been 100% on board with this trade if the NFL.com report was right and we received the 2nd round pick haha

27. By maham on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Well at least Whiz is finally able to name the starting quarterback before camp starts. Didn’t Warner only get that nod once, maybe twice?

On the bright side we will likely not have to franchise tag Fitzy to stay in AZ. Also, we may have lost a damn good receiver but we still have, for the time being, a three headed monster in the backfield…..and the little-guy of course. Let’s just hope Kolb can play the play action like a master.

I wish we would have given up a first round pick instead of DRC, but such is life, damn knee!

Here we go Cards. Whether you like it or not if your a true Cards fan you don’t have a choice this, is our team now. Let’s just hope they bring in some more good free agents, AND SIGN OUR OWN.

Can’t Wait!!

28. By Brandon on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren do you think arizona might go after Antonio cromartie ?

29. By Chet Davis on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren:
    I know tomorrow will answer a lot of questions, but here in Delaware I don’t get much info about our Cards. So can you enlighten me as to just whom the Cards are talking to? I read Starks, Floyd, and Colon.
    Thanks

30. By John the draft guy on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    How much money is freed up because of Hayes and Anderson being released?

Porter would save 4.66 million if cut. It would be better if they can restructure, but that is a very real situation.

One other question, I see the cards going into the season with Schofield and Haggins as the starters at OLB with Acho and Davis as backups.
    Do you?

31. By Chris Keal on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

C’mon Darren, you know everyone is an expert on the internet!

32. By phoenixraven1 on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I am so excited! I feel like a kid going to my first game! Bring on Carolina! Kkkkooooooollllbbbbbb!!!

33. By Bryan on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    have the cardinals been focusing on specific players lately to sign or have they just been looking at all the players at all the spots that they need to fill?
    Thank you for keeping us informed!

34. By blaxabbath on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Admittedly, I don’t like that I didn’t get my monies worth out of my DRC jersey. But I am a fan who has been pushing for big changes and that means tough decisions like letting DRC go. In the end, I don’t think Arizona overpaid. But the deal only matters as much as what other moves the team makes. If Kolb isn’t protected, if the running game doesn’t start to pose a threat, and if the now-weakened defense (remember how we were talking about the Peterson/DRC combo we’d now have in the backfield — that’s no more) can’t create pressure — we’re looking at the same results as last season.

Darren — how does the Whiz offense compare to what Kolb has knowledge of playing in Philly and at UH? Is this a place where Skelton really *can* make Kold better?

35. By fresh on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

The Cardinals are doing good things, they have a gameplan & they are following it. You guys talking $#!t on the other post are a bunch of ignorants! Wiz hasn’t taken us to a SB apperance & a defeat against the Champs in the Playoffs for no reason. Breaston went after the money plain & simple, DRC is a hard good bye but we have Peterson who is better than him regarless if he has played in the NFL or not. Please leave your stupid comments elsewhere! Darren deserves more respect from your oblivious comments filled with stupidity! Good Luck Cards & let the true fans support you!

36. By UK Card on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Not the way i hoped we`d get a Q.B! Hope he does well, for all of us!

37. By Kevino on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

This guy was taught by one of the best coaches in the NFL, and was named a starter by that coach in Philly. That tells me this guy is a player. The Cardinals got themselves a superbowl QB. A Slam Dunk player who was a coaches son. As a former coach myself, I’m telling you Kolb is the real deal.

38. By Eric on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

People need to relax. Don’t be ignorant about this. DRC was WAY over rated. His down side was more than his up. Andy Reid gave Kolb the reins in Philly, and the man knows his quarterbacks. HE GOT ABOUT THE SAME MONEY ROGERS DID WITH THE SAME AMOUNT OF GAMES, AND PERFORMED BETTER IN THOSE SEVEN GAMES. Lets get behind Kolb and support him keeping in mind he is coiming in here with no off season, and a short pre-season. Kurt Warner was dead on. I really believe all the doubters are going to be pleasantly suprised.

P.S. Darren, what are all the new guys numbers, and when will his jersey be available!

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. By Mark in Chandler on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

As far as Kolb goes, time will tell, as with all who have “potential”. I think all agree that the deal would have been more paletable if the deal had not included the 2nd round pick but, as Darren noted, winning will change minds and hearts better then rhetoric.

I ask myself, are the Cards better or worse because of the trade? It is hard to argue that they are not better. In Horton’s press-coverage defense Toler and Peterson will be a better fit than DRC so I do not really think the defense will suffer because of the loss of DRC. Lets face it, they were near the bottom of the league in most catagories since DRC was here.

What about the 2nd round pick? We really won’t know what that might have been until the eagles make what would have been the Card’s pick. The Cards have done relatively well with thier 2nd rd. pick if we consider Branch and Campbell as positives. The jury is still out with Washington and R. Williams and Cody Brown was a bust. Would a 2012 2nd round pick make the Cardinals better in the future? Maybe but it is hard to tell.

Is Kolb a better QB than what we had? Clearly. The issue is where the bar for success is set. If he has to be the next Aaron Rogers then I think Kolb is bound to fail, but if the measurement for success is winning and giving the Cards a chance to go to the playoffs every year then I think he will be a success.

I guess I am saying what Darren has already said. The value of this trade is yet to be determined. No matter what was paid, if the Cards loose then we were hosed. If we win then it was a bold and genius move.

What is for sure is both Whisenhunt and Graves went all in on this. Thier jobs are likely tied to Kolbs success, whatever that measurement is.

40. By Javi on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren, is it possible for the cards to target a Cornerback in this freeagency?

41. By Don't Take Losses on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Kolb era, cool. Git er done.

42. By Wes on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Why no video from the Press Conference with Whiz and Graves today?

43. By Matt Whetstine on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I’m sorry it would take a lot to see this as a good trade. 2nd rounders tend to be good as well. Kolb has to perform up to Kurt Warner conditions just for this to even be remotely fair. DRC is a nice #2 corner or a Pro Bowl quality FS, a position the Cards lack talent for the future. John Skelton has the potential to be a Kurt Warner quality QB, but with this deal I don’t see it happening as an Arizona Cardinal. Panic set in and now we have to hope they make smart moves around it to make up for the losses they gained by this deal.

44. By Tbru on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I would rather make a bold move than rest on our 5 win laurels. Glad we didn’t dumpster dive for a reject, or sign some on the waiting list for the old folks home.

Now we need to put an offense around Kolb and Fitz. We still need to upgrade the line, figure out who is the #1 back and how to keep him from fumbling.

45. By Javi on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Also Darren, how likely are the CARDS to sign Floyd?

46. By fromday1Skeltonfan on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

So.. now the question is, will Whiz just hand Kolb the starting job,even after Skelton outplays,and out hustles him in practice and thru out the preseason?
    and i pray that Whiz leaves the play calling to someone else,cause he stinks.Leave it for the Off.coordinator ,or even the peanut vendor for that
    matter.I hope we don’t have to hear Whiz in the postgame interview,the same
    ole “well, we did look good in practice ,i don’t know what happened , but if we could just perform in the game like we did in practice,then I think we’d have a chance to win, and if ……”
    I was lookin at the videos of Skelton passing to brother Skelton @ Fordham
    and the chemistry those 2 have and thinking of the havoc defenses would have defending that ,and I got a chill down my back! Go Skelton and Skelton!

47. By Andy on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Is it true that we have come to an agreement with Lyle Sendlein?

48. By Andy on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I forgot to ask if we also reached an agreement with Nick Eason?

49. By Scott H on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren, as always, you speak very wisely. I’m happy with having Kolb here, not thrilled at the price we paid. Doesn’t matter. If he plays well and the team does well because of him, the price will be a distant memory. When we signed Anderson last year, I felt like I knew it was a disaster. That turned out to be reality but it was just an opinion at the time. I did not / could not know anything for sure. BUT despite my dismay, I threw my support behind him and wanted him to do well. I’m glad to hear some people doing that with Kolb and I hope others will come around. He is our QB and that’s it.

50. By Glendalecardz on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren

When will the press conference be ??

51. By DoblerFan on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I did not like this fit & risk/reward factor since the beginning. With that said, welcome Mr. Kolb and best of luck. I for one support you.

Thank you Mr. Hayes for your years of service.

52. By Haggis Bob on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

VERY HAPPY with this deal. DRC did not fit Ray’s system and was deemed acceptable trade fodder. Coach is gonna find us another guy like Kerry replaced Antrelle last year. FA is insane this year. Who knows who it will be but I bet real money we have another vet onboard by the weekend. Thank you jebus thank you.

53. By brad oneill on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

it was him or Orton. we know orton is servicable and cheaper and we think Kolb has higher upside. i see nothing wrong with gambling for the long term. I also suspect that DRC may not have been a favorite of Horton who likes defenders that don’t make quite so many business decisions in the heat of battle. DRC will be a good corner for a number of years and will be missed by most of us but it was a bit frustrating watching him miss plays because he was bored into a coma on occasion.

We seem to make a lot of trades with philly lately and I have yet to see us come out on top. Maybe this is the one trade that we end up coming out ahead on but only time will tell.

PS if we end up stealing Nambdi Asuoumaoudfhadhfat or however you spell it then we will truly have upgraded all around.

54. By Motavaysean on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I do . We have a much better QB and now we can sign Fitz long Term and get aggressive in FA . Go get Malcom Floyd , Clabo , and some LB help and all is forgiven . If we get a CB like DRC’s Cuz then we have definitly up graded so lets get it done AZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

55. By Gary Achey on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

To all cards fans i live in the philly area have been an eagles fan until vicks first snap know im a cards fan if the cards can give Kolb time he will be great he takes what the d gives him nothing more havent watched many cards games balance is the key go Kolb and cards cant what for the season.

56. By in fitz we trust on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

thats gonna suck if kolb gets picked by drc in week 10 lol just sayin……

57. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

We gave up a first round pick/Pro Bowl Cornerback and a draft pick for someone that only has a couple of games under his belt and prone to concusions. Wow. I hope it works out. At this moment, I don’t know how to feel. Kolb has to be better than all the other QB’s we had, but to give up so much for him. I hope it works out because if it doesn’t, the coaches head is gonna roll. His decision making is suspect as far as I am concerned. But I am hoping for the best. Let’s win the NFC West and move on from there. Good Luck Kevin. I’m behind you 100%.

58. By Paul H on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Mike Florio (the real one, not the one that posts here) of PFT seems angry about the trade. He usually loves it when he can rip the FO or the team but he seems upset that this trade went down. I’m not a shrink but I think this is a good sign. He seems concerned that the Cards will be a force to be recon with for a few years.

59. By mgdo on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

very dissapointing considering there isnt enough to grade kolb, if there is… I would give an F on what I have seen and heard.with DRC you know what you get. so for us to give up two things we know.DRC and a 2nd round.For someone who is barely worth a 2nd round. Time to re-evaluate what is a necesity vs. a hope .If it doesnt work we risk losing larry and we will be right back where we were before getting kurt warner.THE REBUILDING STAGE

60. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Ty –

RE: Dockett rumor

Have zero idea where it’s from. And if you follow Twitter, you should follow me, where I already said there is nothing to it.

61. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Glendalecardz –

RE: Kolb presser

It is Friday at noon.

62. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Javi –

RE: CB add

It’s possible but Whisenhunt certainly didn’t indicate it at the presser.

63. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Eric –

RE: Jersey numbers

No announcements yet. You’ll have to wait until Saturday.

64. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Blax –

RE: Offense

I’m not sure, to be honest. This offense is different than Philly. There will be a learning curve.

65. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Bryan –

RE: Targets

They are chasing specific players, but obviously at spots they need.

66. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy –

RE: Savings

Not sure exactly, but I think it’s around $5M in cap space between the two of them. They still have plenty of room.

67. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Chet –

RE: Talks

Colon went back to the Steelers. Starks might. There are rumors of Floyd, but also reports the Cards don’t want him. Not sure what to believe, and I haven’t had a chance to ask.

68. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

NJAz –

RE: Porter

He restructured his deal.

69. By Logan cooper on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I am OK with this move.
    Over the summer I was talking to a former ASU linebacker who plays for Carolina and I asked him if he wants Patrick Peterson for the #1 pick. He said no way man, you can get decent corners anytime, to win in this league you have to have a quarterback.
    He wasn’t saying Peterson wasn’t good, more so that the value of a quarterback in this league heavily outweighs a CB. After hearing that, and this trade happening today, I feel good we made the move.

Maybe the front office knows what there doing after all.

Also, I love that we are going after Stewart Bradley, if the rumor is true.

70. By Brad Wheeler on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren, that’s rubbish, part of what you say is true (if Kolb wins games then no-one will care), but if Kolb loses then no people wouldn’t attack no matter what compensation, anyone can understand that Cards need to gamble on a QB at this point, as long as it’s a responsible gamble, no-one would care about losing a couple of 2nd rounders and a late rounder (not that Eagles would have accepted that), and people would understand if it was Beanie Wells and a second rounder (since Beanie has not produced and the drafting of R Williams), but the fact that the Cards turned their back on the prospect of having DRC Peterson CB tandem along with Rhodes and Wilson, for an unproven QB, then yes people are going to be pissed off if it doesn’t work! DRC was my fav Cardinal, but hey I’m willing to give Kolb a chance, lets hope it works out, if it doesn’t it will be a big step backwards for the Franchise…

71. By whoknowsnothing on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

The trade should have been straight up at the very least. We gave up too much still!

so, is Nick Barnett, Barrett Rudd, or Stephen Tulloch coming to town?

I just hope we can get Nate Clement for the low low price of 1 million dollars.

Also, I want to see the Cardinals steal an OL from the Falcons, any of them will do, but there’s only two left.

72. By Richard S. on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Picking a QB is like opening a box of chocolates. You don’t know whether you’re getting caramel or coconut.

73. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Like to say a big THANK YOU to Gerald Hayes. The guy poured out his heart and soul for 7 seasons with the Cardinals and will be missed. Another former AZ player moving on that I hope catches on elsewhere.
    Right there with Dansby, Eric Hill and Ronald McKinnon as the best Card ILB of all time.

74. By tygrbass on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

you have to remember that us fans also tried to boo Kurt Warner out of town… and now we all love him … So lets leave the talent judging up to our team and support them

75. By Cardsfuture on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Cards can bring in anyone they want, yet think of why Warner left age and being physicallly beat up, Check the tapes on Anderson and him making bad decisions, while continually being hit. If you cannot protect your QB your going to continue to have issues………..It doesn’t matter who you bring in. You’ve got to have an “O” line, that can protect and pick up on “D” adjustments. It is basic football.

76. By bluepitt on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

“What does a Pro Bowl cornerback, a second-round draft pick and a reported $63 million get you in the NFL these days? A backup quarterback.”

1st, We picked up Klobber because Coach Fitz likes him… And If we dont please Coach Fitzey he will leave! (As if I care) He is not the whole team and never will be!

2nd. We cant franchise ol Fitzy!!!! He Raped the Cards in his contract! He holds all the cards!!!!! Pun intended!

3rd, I dont care if Klobber does good or bad! I think Given the info on him this was a reckless and stupid trade!! Whiz playing with the Millions of Az Fans $$$$, Once again! look at ol Mattys #’s after 4 years and tell me who is better?

4th, Every one that has a clue in the NFL reporting world, thinks this deal is way lopsided……

Will I be happy if he does well? Yes, The Cards are my team! but Super Boooowel or not, I will alwayse think We got Screwed!

77. By Stuart on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

Geese I hope this don’t blow up in are face. Lets get it done Kevin Kolb!!!!
    NOW GET YOUR HANDS ON THE PLAYBOOK AND STUDY AND WORK HARDER THEN YOU’VE EVER WORKED BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!

78. By Az sportstrucker on Jul 28, 2011 | Reply

I’ve lost all faith in the Cards management and coach whiz after last yr THEN THIS pls

79. By PhilyFan on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Congrats to the Cards. Let me tell you that I think you have the potential for a great QB. Philly fans are notoriously harsh when it comes to anything around football – pales in comparison to talk radio. Everyone really thought there was huge potential with Kolb – we just did not get a chance to see all of it. Hell, you wouldn’t with Vick coming on like he did last year. Don’t judge too much from the games he played last year – the right side of our front line was horrible. Hell, my grandmother could have run over that side of the line. The first thing I noticed was his accuracy in his passes – amazing. Protect him in the pocket and he will pick defenses apart.

80. By brythybo7 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I am very very excited for our defense in spite of losing DRC. We are gaining some necessary components (and hopefully more from what I hear) to make our defense top notch and I think Horton has a lot to do with that. Im still a little ify on the O-Line but glad we got Colledge, our WRs and QB i dont have much confidence in at this point. Kolb could be a bust and we can repeat last season, or he could do well. And Im hoping we pick up at least one more WR because Fitz can only do so much and Komar, Roberts and Williams are still up in the air for me. Hopefully they prove to be just as good as Breaston. They have had the chance to study under two of the best receivers in the league so hopefully it will show.

81. By Disappointed on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Stop comparing Kolb to Warner. Warner was a SB winning QB with proven success when the Cards got him. Kolb is a guy who’s played less games than he’s got INT’s. The only sense I can make of this is that he was brought in to mentor Skelton, the real QB of the future. I saw more in Skelton in 2 games than I’ve seen from Kolb his whole career. Skelton will throw many back to back 300+ games, not just 2 that everyone is basing Kolbs’ greatness on. The contract completely blows my mind. As a small business owner who has to watch every penny, I am flabbergasted by the way these idiot owners are throwing away dollars after the BS they put everyone through with this CBA mess. Kolb deserves 2 years, 12 million, at best. Would have left 20+ mil to shore up the non-existent O-line, linebacker corp, and secondary. Not to mention replace one of the greatest slot receivers to play the game. (2 bonehead moves in 2 days, great start ownership)

Can’t blame Whiz, look at him in the press conference, he’s furious. Anyway, g’luck on your 5 win season guys. Hopefully the Packers play opposite you on Sunday’s so I can watch a football game and not get my heart broken.

82. By KKFan on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been a life long Eagles fan. I was upset that the Eagles signed Vick. and went with him over Kolb. In the few games that Kolb got to play, he set an NFL record of having been the first and ONLY QB to throw for over 300 yrds in his first two games in 09. Did it again in 10 in 2 of the 3 games he got to start and play the entire game., When you think of all the great QB’s who have come and gone, and who are in the HOF, you have to admit that is quite an accomplishment. Kevin never really got a genuine opportunity to be a starter in Philly. . You guys must have been reading the Eagles message boards to hear he is injury prone. That is not true at all. Yes, he got a concussion . But Clay Mathews had given other QB’s a concussion as well. Kevin can be a very, very good QB. If given the time to prove himself. I just hope that you card fans are a lot more patient and less critical than what the majority of Eagle fans are. Good luck Kevin. Prove to Cards fans they got themselves a franchise QB. And to the Eagle fans who never gave you a chance that they will regret you not still being an Eagle.

83. By Nick Pepe on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@Tbru
    Right there with you. Something needed to happen, and so it is done. I look forward to seeing the complete product when this whole frenzy is over.
    I said it before and I will say it again. I trust the staff.

Sorry to see Hayes time is up. He will be missed.

Nick Pepe

84. By NYCARDSFAN on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Good morning Darren. I have a question that maybe you can answer for me. Apparently the cardinals have arranged a 5 year contract for Kolb, while he had 1 year left on his contract with the Eagles. I am wondering why 5 years. Wouldnt they want to see exactly what they have first, before signing for so long? I am happy to see Kolb coming to AZ, but I am not “5 years” sure of him. Am I missing something. By the way…the song in your head (and anyone who reads this post) today, will be…” you say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to….LOL! HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!

85. By freaky #11 on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

You probably dont remember me from a while back, but i said that rod graves didnt know anything about football and you got upitty with me(that was fun). I think i have to say it again, so be cool. I dont know how to feel about kolb yet. I’ve seen flashes of awsome from him, but its hard to come to a conclusion yet. Point is that graves is killing us. Why didnt we chase jonathon joeseph…that dudes a beast. i know we have money, USE it. We could also go after DRC’s cousin.

86. By Darren Urban on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

NYCards –

RE: Kolb extension

Kolb’s people knew he had the leverage. The reports I have seen were that Kolb wouldn’t go to a new team without a new deal. He was in a position of power. They didn’t want him playing well and then being franchised after the season.

87. By CJ on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

I personally would have gone for Kyle Orton due to the cost and a more solid veteran, but I’m just happy we didn’t pull another Derek Anderson just to be cheap. Honestly, DRC didn’t seem like he would fit well with our new DC who wants a more physical defense so if we are going to trade anyone, he’s as good as any.

Honestly though, my biggest concern is the short time available Kolb has to learn the playbook. It’s a different offense and Kolb has to learn it quickly and will be pressured to succeed immediately. It’s going to be a rocky beginning of the season but as long as he puts the work in, we should still take the West based on our other talent.

88. By Nick Pepe on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@fresh…. Agreed. It’s good to see that the pessimists are out in full force. Contrarians, nay sayers, antagonists….. Whatever you want to call them! Remember without the idiotic posts this blog would be boring.
    And the grammar? Good god people, at least spell check.

Darren- assuming Bartel is #3 on depth, is Hall still practice squad eligible?

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member and now a Kolb fan!

89. By Darren Urban on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Nick –

RE: Max Hall

I believe he is, yes.

90. By Bill L on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Kolb….works out or doesn’t work out…..the DOLLARS for a starting QB are about the MIN. So, atleast the Cards will pay starting QB dollars. Now, if they had also gone out and got Joseph, one could say they will pay starting CB dollars. I heard one analyst say that the Cards wanted DRC in the trade as much or MORE than Philly…..implying that the Cards would not pay up for DRC when his contract is up.

This free agency is shaping up like the Cards are still the same ol’ Cards. Don’t pay Breaston, won’t pay DRC, and pay low dollars for a starting QB.

Let me Guess, the Cards will wait until free agency has run its course…..then pick up the scraps and leftovers……..while keeping a tight fist and eye on paying NO MORE than $1.00 over the MINIMUM……….Same Ol’ Same Ol’…..Damn, I bet the Cards fought hard to get that 90% down to something they’d call more reasonable, like 60%……….Bidwills!!! Prove me wrong!!!

91. By adam sheafe on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

The Cardinals are so whack!!!! You guys offer Steve Breaston $9 million total on a deal and the Chiefs offer him $25 million on a deal? You guys have the worst management. You need to stop trying to be like Pittsburgh and follow Tod Haley’s blueprint. Whisenhunt wants to be the Steelers so bad that he will hire any coach or player from there. Look! You are not Pittsburgh!!!!

Their coach and players and tougher and smarter than all of the Cardinals players. Stop bringing in washed up Pittsburgh players too. I just laugh at how the Cardinals treat their players. They don’t pay any of their own players. Here’s a list a players we pooped on over the years… Calvin Pace, Antonio Smith, Antrel Rolle, Carlos Dansby, Steve Breaston, Kurt Warner. Take care of your own players. Stop being afraid to pay your own players. Whiz.. You need to take a page out of Todd Haley’s book. He knows what he is doing. He is a winner. Pete Carroll is a winner too and you’re still trying to find your identity. That’s sad. Sorry Steve Breaston but you went to a much better team!

92. By Nick Pepe on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@Adam
    What exactly is Todd Haleys blueprint?

93. By Lewis on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

This is obviously a hard pill to swallow right now. Hopefully Kolb comes in and proves he can lead this team to victory. The trade is a done deal. All we can do now is support this guy and hope for the best. He is a Card now.

94. By Bob Diesel on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

That’s funny adam. Todd haley nabs every cardinal that leaves. tim castille, jeremy urben, lenard pope, Steve Breaston, Monty beisel, lance long, and that off the top of my head. That’s coaching. All those players you mentioned went on the market and got PAID! if we were to keep all of them, or even half of them, then we wouldn’t have enough to pay fitz, adub, rhodes, Kolb, sendlein. Didn’t the chief’s give Cassel a huge contract when they got him. A guy who didn’t play a down in college, Had an average season with the patriot’s, and then they trade for him and give him a huge contract. I take away your comment posting rights for such an ignoramus post. Can you get on that DARREN.

p.s. It’s Karlos Dansby

95. By Matt on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@Adam
    If the Chiefs are so great, what are you doing on the Cardinals page? Just looking to pick a fight?

96. By Tbru on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

A lot has been said on the Kolb deal, but I do want to give my thanks and best wishes to G. Hayes

97. By Tbru on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

“What exactly is Todd Haleys blueprint?”

Blind Loyalty to former Cardinals, in a Wiz to ex Steelers kind of way.

98. By Nick Pepe on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@Adam, looks like you have been booted off the island. Maybe genius Haley will pick you up. What page of the blue print is that on?

99. By louis navarro on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Darren just want to thank you for all your hard work, living in Boston I depend on you for my info, and am very impressed how you answer everybodys questions to the best of your abilities….guy’s lets give this guy his due….THANKS DARREN YOU ARE THE MAN

100. By tyman on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Darn it!!!
    Now we wont have the best CB speed tandom in madder 12….lol.

I think it was a good move. DRC did a good job, but when push comes to shove he let up some big plays and wasnt the best at tackling. I think Greg toler has more upside at CB anways only time will tell.

101. By EvanM on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Darren – Heard anything about us picking up a QB backup like Bulger? Also, doesn’t it make sense to pick up a big WR like Moss or Burress, along with a tight end like Heap, to give Fitz some breathing room while making our offense multi-dimensional?

102. By Nick Pepe on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@Louis N.
    I second that motion!
    Thanks Darren!

103. By Nick Pepe on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

@Evan, you need to do some scrolling back / researching.

104. By Bob Diesel on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Tyman- “Speed cb tandom in madden”

LOLcano!

105. By EvanM on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

dude – thx for the @reply, but there’s over a 100 comments… can you throw a brother a dime and just answer? some of us are working and don’t have time to read bluepitt’s novel about how stupid the cardinals are! lol

106. By Dan on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I’m so happy we have Kolb………he’s a good one.

107. By Darren Urban on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

EvanM –

RE: Answering questions

I appreciate that. But believe it or not, I am working too and I don’t have time to answer the same questions over and over and over and over ….

108. By clssylssy on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren:
    You have done a great job during the off season not getting sucked into wild speculations and gossip feeding the rumor mill. Looking back, these past few days (?…was it just a few) you have artfully side stepped landmines and withstood a storm coming from the fans. I hope the organization appreciates the job you have done. Now that it is almost “business as usual” I have to laugh to myself, but appreciated the outpouring of emotion by fans over the Cardinal lineup, something none of us are in a place to influence really. Despite what has probably seemed to you as the whinings of a bunch of children, I love it that,at last, the Card’s fans are passionate enough about the team to raise a furor; it would have been much worse had our fan base been apathetic and just jumped ship to return to their golf game, and supporting the team from whence they came.
    True Card’s fans will adjust to the loss of those players no longer with us, who helped us experience the joy of seeing this team succeed. Hopefully, we are on the road to success again and now have only to GET’ R’ DONE!
    I have the “football anthem” by Hank Jr. on a loop, and am READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!
    GOOD LUCK CARDS!, WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

109. By Nick Pepe on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply