The Cardinals will have a conditioning test this morning, but given that a chunk of their guys can’t even do it (the same rule keeping the vets out of practice until Aug. 4 keeps them out of the run test as well), it’s all relative.
“It’s just to assess where our guys are,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “Honestly, it’s all about player safety. When you are talking about practice, you want to know which guys are in the shape you want, which ones may need a little extra work.”
– Looks like the Cards got a veteran cornerback. Former Panther Richard Marshall tweeted this morning he is on his way to Arizona.
– On acquiring WR Chansi Stuckey, Whisenhunt said the Cards got a physical, intense player. “When you lose a player like Steve Breaston, this is an effort to bring that kind of effort to the position.” Whisenhunt was asked about getting yet another receiver. He didn’t say they would, but he didn’t say they wouldn’t. He wants to see the current WR corps work first.
– LB Stewart Bradley can play any of the four LB positions, even an outside rusher as possible. His key will be staying healthy.
– On the free agent chase and signings: “It’s by no means behind us,” Whisenhunt said. The roster churn will probably be ongoing for at least another couple of weeks. The Cards are talking to tight end Todd Heap, for example.
– With Deuce Lutui going to the Bengals, Jeremy Bridges and Rex Hadnot will have a shot at RG but Whisenhunt did note the Cards are still looking at the market for linemen.
– For the vets who can’t practice until Aug. 4, they can watch practice and go to meetings. They can’t do anything else.
– Whisenhunt said the Cards should have their top three draft picks under contract “in the next day or two.” Third-rounder Rob Housler actually showed up, and that’s a no-no when you aren’t under contract. “I had to say, ‘You can’t be here,’” Whisenhunt said.
P.S. Needed to pass on this message, that because football has returned, Papa John’s is running a weekend special: Double Papa Rewards Points for every order you place on PapaJohns.com
Tags: Chansi Stuckey, Ken Whisenhunt, Richard Marshall, Stewart Bradley, Todd Heap
Posted in Blog | 99 Comments »