• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Peterson agrees to five-year contract; Womack arrives

Posted by Darren Urban on July 30, 2011 – 5:09 pm

Coach Ken Whisenhunt just said the Cards and No. 1 pick Patrick Peterson have agreed to a five-year contract, so the cornerback should be around — assuming he gets in in time to pass a physical — for Sunday’s afternoon practice I would think Sunday night, ready to practice Monday probably, according to Whisenhunt. With third-round pick Rob Housler getting his own deal earlier in the day, it leaves second-rounder Ryan Williams the last unsigned rookie (and I would guess he will be done very, very soon).

With the addition of free-agent cornerback Richard Marshall on a one-year contract earlier Saturday, the top three Cards’ corners are set: Marshall, Peterson and Greg Toler. How they play out — which ones start and who is the nickel guy — will likely come down to how quickly Peterson assimilates to the NFL game. My guess is the starters are Marshall and Toler, and when Peterson is ready, the better of the other two will team with the No. 1 pick.

Marshall is known as a physical tackler. Toler’s strength is tackling and the word on Peterson is physical first. I know there were a lot of people upset about DRC leaving and DRC was a special talent. But there is no question these three fit the mold of what defensive coordinator Ray Horton says he wants.

UPDATE: And the Cards made another addition to the offensive line as well, coming to terms with Floyd “Pork Chop” Womack, late of the Browns and one-time Seattle Seahawk.

Tags: , , , , , ,

34 Responses to “Peterson agrees to five-year contract; Womack arrives”

1. By Stuart on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Very exciting to hear Peterson is in now, hopefully Williams can show up tomorrow too.

I had a question about the size of our front office. Is it comparatively small in contrast to say, the Eagles or the Patriots FO? Or are we pretty average? I know talks about the Kolb trade created a stall in man-power for other things (rookie contract, and FA signings).

2. By R Robles on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Awesome!! Well if thats what Ray needs then im with him….Any WR free agent were looking at? anything on Heap ?

3. By Eric on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren, WE ARE STOKED ABOUT MARSHALL!!!!! This is what was lacking in the secondary all along, PHYSICAL PLAY!

Do you think we still have a shot at Samuel? That would be pretty awesome as well. Whats the word on more OL help?

Those things, along with signing Todd Heap would be awesome.

By the way, I was for the Kolb deal all along, and my buddies are starting to come around. I really feel we won’t be disappointed. Heres a shout from section 135! Keep up the good work Darren!

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. By kyle on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

hey darren

you think womack will start opposite coolidge this year and how good of a player is womack?

5. By John the draft guy on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Did the cards sign Womack? Not sure if he is an upgrade over Hadnot or Bridges. I’m guessing just a depth guy???

6. By maham on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Well hopefully Ray Horton is our defensive version of Todd Haley; damn I sure hope so. Youre right Daren DRC is a special talent, but you can’t beat consistency and good tackling, that’s what wins championships, not just games.

I hope the market is not good for our running backs; I want to see all four stay.

7. By Rich on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Good to see we signed another lineman, but “pork chop” is more of a sturdy, depth guy. Guess that means Hadnot will start. The line looks complete, yet unspectacular. We need to add a piece to the defensive line. Who is going to rotate with Dan Williams?

8. By Darren Urban on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Kyle –

RE: Womack

I think he will compete but he will be in the mix — he won’t be a guarantee starter. He’d have to fight his way past everyone he’s battling with. He’s a tackle.

9. By Darren Urban on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

John the draft –

RE: Womack spot

He’s a tackle. My guess is he will battle Keith and/or Levi.

10. By Darren Urban on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Rich –

RE: DT

You are right, they need d-linemen.

11. By Darren Urban on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Ross –

RE: Hightower 2

I just mean he’s going to search for a long-term deal. He’s not getting that from the Cards right now.

12. By Scott H on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

OK…if this is what Horton wants, then I’ll try to be OK with it until I see otherwise. But I find it hard to believe that Horton wouldn’t have wanted any of the other CB’s who were ( still are ? ) available. I’m trying to get over my own bitterness here, but…I wanted to see moves that were going to make me excited about this team. And – the Kolb trade aside – it has NOT happened. The guys we’ve signed so far just look like a bunch of middle tier guys who might be solid AT BEST. Chansi Stuckey??? He does NOT replace Stever Breaston. And if nothing else comes along, then we have clearly down-graded at WR. Jeff King? Does nothing for me. Why should it? This team doesn’t use the TE, anyway. So why would they prioritize a top tier player at that position? This Marshall guy? I don’t even recognize the name. He might be “soild” but…could we JUST ONCE IN A FRIGGIN’ WHILE aim a little higher than “solid???” And now I hear that Floyd Womack is coming on board? Really??? This guy is known MUCH MORE for his middle name of Pork Chop than his level of play. Other than QB, I see NO up-grades being made here while other teams are up-grading all over the place.

I want to be wrong…I hope I am wrong…but as of right now, i don’t see anything more than a 6-10 or 7-9 team. And THAT’S with what is supposedly the easiest schedule in the league AND the fact that we play in the NFC West.

While I have always argued against this in the past, I have now come around to believing that the success this team had during those magical 2008-2009 seasons WAS due to the guys that Dennis Green put in place. As those guys continue to depart, I see a lousy job being done of replacing them. I know many people agree. Other may not. But there is no arguing with the FACT that after last year’s exodus, we fell to 5-11 and couldn’t even be competitive in the NFL’s worst division.

Clearly, I am NOT over my own bitterness…yet.

13. By Alex on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Will the Cards bring in Kelvin Hayden to help with the CB situation? Cheap guy and he’s pretty good.

14. By brad oneill on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

well that is good news all around. i guess its a good thing duece left we wouldn’t him to eat pork chop by mistake. my guess is Adrian and Rhodes are going to be the recipients of more than one football being jarred loose by The Red C. with c standing for crunch. of course the red sea was parted so maybe that isnt a good nickname. i guess i will leave the nicknames up to wolf. oh he sucks at it too.. we should just start a fan pool for helping to pay fines because we just traded the back pack boys for the body bag boys ok ok ok i will leave it to someone else.

15. By brad oneill on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

why the hell would patrick peterson not be in until sunday night?

I think i like that 3rd pick better you know the guy that was so excited to play he showed up before he signed.

i thought they were limiting rookie contracts to 4 years? Is the rookie cap only good for the first 4 years?

are there any good sources on how the new rookie pay scale works? I must have missed it if it was posted sorry.

16. By pleasestayfitz on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

With our secondary, I’m feeling a lot of corner blitzes comin… May Horton be the next Jim Johnson and send all kinds of different people

17. By AC623 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

if the eagles sign wr Jackson, do you think they’ll release Jeremy maclin?? If so he will b a great addition alongside Fitzgerald.Go Cards

18. By John the draft guy on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Womack’s bio has him playing everywhere but center on the O-line, Looks like he was a tackle with the Browns last year. Played mostly guard with Seattle. He has started 71 out of 119 games and never has started 16 games (last year he started 15)
    Seems like a clone of Jeremy Bridges.

The Cards, IMO, are taking the approach of getting a bunch of guys and let them fight it out. Hadnot, Bridges, Womack and Keith will fight it out for two spots. I have to believe Sendlein, Colledge, and Brown will man 3 of the spots.

19. By LUKE on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

another ex browns sighning .pork chop?oh boy……

20. By Mike on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Rumor has it, now that two big names signed with Phili, Samuel might be available. Do the cards have a chance at asante samuel? They seem to be good trade buddies.

21. By Jeff on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Has he picked a number yet? Still waiting on those jerseys to go on sale!

22. By Slim on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Hightower hasn’t signed yet cuz the pen keeps slipping out of his fingers, somebody get that man some glue or tape or something.

23. By Motavaysean on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

They say on NFL.com that we are one of the teams interested in getting Olin Krutz ? Is there any truth to that ?

24. By Khards on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I rather keep Beanie than HT because of the potential upside, Williams will really test Beanie and Beanie keeps talking about how he’s ready to have a breakout season. He knows he has to have a good season this year or he’s probably gone. Williams and Beanie could be a killer combo.

25. By sport245245 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

How and why do you want your corners being in on as many tackles as Marshall has been? I would think you want them having stats in int’s and passes defensed. They ought not to be big time tacklers. I don’t get it other than This Kolb for DRC was desperation. You jackwagons who say otherwise, are delusional. The same ones who said Boldin was a dive. K M A
    s

26. By sport245245 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Meant to say Boldin was diva.

27. By Eazy E on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

You can have all the ”physical” corners you want, if they can’t cover quarterbacks are picking you apart. Richard and Greg ain’t close to DRC in coverage and I want cbs that can cover first especially since you know this is a passing league. They may be better tacklers but who cares if the receivers catching every pass thrown their way. DRC isn’t an horrible tackler btw, his coverage ability is so good, you have to nitpick and that is what some come up with. He gets the ballcarrier down when he needs too. Richard is a good cb but Toler had an up and down year and that is being nice. He came from Saint Pauls College, so I don’t have these ”high” expectations right out the gate like some of you. We still need another cb such as cromartie, rogers, trade for samuel, etc. I’m glad peterson signed but he missed the whole offseason and that is going to affect every rookie this year including him. DRC and Nnamdi would have been sweet or Nnamdi and PP or DRC and PP, instead it don’t look nearly as sweet with Marshall and Toler/PP.

28. By Eazy E on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

”Pork Chop” Womack should challenge for a starting job at either tackle spot. Our tackles last year weren’t good, so he should challenge for a starting job.

29. By Old Man Riva on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

For once the Big Red are being aggresive in signing FAs. We haven’t taken the big losses to free agencey like we did last year so without a doubt this team has improved. I liked DRC and hated to see him go but in reality a CB who is strictly a cover man is going to get burned more than the physical guy since the receivers have no fear of the hit lurking in the back of their mind when they invade the cover guy’s territory. Look at the success of the teams that play a hard nosed physical type of D which the Big Red has never, ever been known to play. We may be on track to return to the big dance sooner than anyone thought. Should be a very interesting season. GO BIG RED!

30. By Tx Cards fan on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I have to say I like the idea of bringing Womack in he’s a guard and played some right tackle and should help push the other guards and add depth at tackle in camp if nothing else. However it would have been nice to see a more dynamic player brought in like a Jammal Brown or Matt Light type that could beat out a current starting tackle and add good depth. I hope we are not done with the line tackle is still a need in my book.

31. By rdixon50 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

PORK CHOP!

32. By Kevin Murray on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Coming from Boston Mass. Yes Home of New England Patriots but die hard Cardinals fan for the past 25 years.

1. Any word on bringing in a veteran back up qb?

2. Todd Heap would be an upgrade over anything. I know they draft Houssler but Heap would be a great upgrade.

3. I know Marcus Stroud just got cut by the Pats, any rumblings of the Cards taking a look at him.

4. I like the moves of Veteran lineman but along with that comes an issue of health. I would not mind seeing Matt Light lined up for the Cardinals. He is rumored to be taking a hometown discount for the Pats but none the less would like to see him here. Brings experience. then there is Leonard Davis? First go around with us did not go that well but now there is Russ Grimm. I say we roll the dice on him as long as finaicially it makes sense.

33. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Montavay –

RE: Kruetz

I’d be surprised, but I am not ruling anything out anymore.
    Except McNabb.

34. By Eazy E on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I remember him with cleveland and seattle. He has one of the best nicknames in football ”pork chop”.