Porter realistic about situation

Posted by Darren Urban on July 30, 2011 – 6:19 pm

Linebacker Joey Porter was scheduled to make $5.75 million this season. He was asked to restructure — take a pay cut — to stick around he did. After practice, he told reporters Kent Somers and Craig Morgan he couldn’t complain, and admitted that he was more mature about the situation than he might have once been.

“You get five sacks they don’t really want to pay you $5.7 million base,” Porter said.

The Cardinals haven’t found any outside linebackers worth chasing on the open market as of now. They have hopes for O’Brien Schofield, but realistically, they still need Porter. But Porter is right, it couldn’t have been at his former salary. To Porter’s credit, he understands the place he is in these days, in the last part of his career. Plus, he still is optimistic this team can make some noise, and wants to be a part of it.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said after last season he felt part of Porter’s issue was having to play too much, which was forced after Cody Brown fizzled and was cut and Schofield took half the season to get back from his knee surgery. But at Porter’s age — he is 34 — questions will always follow such a season.

“If I had played better last year, it wouldn’t have been this situation,” Porter added.

Tags: , ,

49 Responses to “Porter realistic about situation”

1. By Jeff on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Happy to see porter come back, I think he still has some gas in the tank. Just played too much last season on those old legs of his!

2. By RedSea8508 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Hope you bring it this year! We’re gonna be NFC WEST CHAMPS!

3. By brad oneill on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

You have to respect a guy like Porter. He put in a lot of minutes last year and even though things weren’t going well he kept it positive and kept working. My guess is he will be a lot more effective this year now that he has a year here and won’t be asked to do quite as much.

PS it wasnt just porter that was worn out last year our whole defense was on the field way more than they should have been. having a fast paced offense that can’t get first downs is a killer on your defense.

4. By Chet Davis on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Where is Heap? Also, Max Starks called Grimm, are we not interested in him?

5. By whoknowsnothing on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

You good Porter, show’em you still got it. I’m glad you took the pay cut, but hopefully they added some incentives in the new deal for ya!!!

6. By sean on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Hi darren,

I just read that the cardnails are looking at James Jones. Have you heard anything???? Thanks Darren look forward to hearing from you.

7. By Cards4Life on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

porter me not be the “guy” anymore I’m glad to have him back his mentality and knowledge of the game should be a big help to are otherwise young LB corps
    P.S I’m buying a O’brian schofield jersey befor the season starts I think this guy is gonna rock the house!!
    Darren I read an article about schofield when asked about cards need of pass rusher he said matter of factly “I got this trust me I got this” no one can tell the future but do You think this will be a break out season for him???

8. By Cards4Life on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Off subject but I just watch stephen skelton highlights from fordham and this guy is a beast repeat a beast!!! If ya’ll have not already should diff. youtube him

9. By Rugbymuffin on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

While eating crow, since as of right now the Cardinal have made this team better, at least on paper, than last year’s team, so I deserved to dine on such a thing.

I wondered what the Cardinals are going to do about the NT situation.

Mr. Darren Urban.

Are the Cardinals looking at any NT’s to back up Dan Campbell. He will need a backup regardless of the limited amount of snaps the NT takes in our defense.

10. By azcards24 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

anyone have a feeling he’s gonna be worse this year sorry but lb gotta be playin with intensity i don’t hear that from him!

11. By Brian on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Nice to see Porter taking responsibility for his lack of production. He could easily sit there and agree w/ the coaches that he had to play too much. I think Schofield has a chance to be the real deal. He played very well at the end of the season and I love his attitude of telling Cards fans not to worry, “I got it” regarding our pass rush. I’m a Badger fan and this guy was a beast and just as productive as JJ Watt rushing the passer but in a LB body. I know it’s early but have you heard or seen anything about him so far that stands out…other than the hair?

12. By LUKE on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

good for joey.takes a big man to do that.i hope he shines this year!

13. By azcards24 on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

darren
    off the subject

look are our receiving corps in the superbowl compared to now, dont you think they should just bring in some vet talent rather than flood it with 3-4 type guys? i mean boldin and breaston i mean thats talent we used to succeed at times? <whats YOUR opinion.

14. By Peter in Canada on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

It must be difficult for players such as Porter to look in the mirror and admit that their skills are in decline. He showed great maturity and humility in making this decision. I for one am happy he’s back and I think Whiz is right. He can be an asset as long as he doesn’t have to play every down.

Darren – I think the staff did a great job getting Marshall. About Womack. I don’t see him as a big improvement over last year’s tackles or Hadnot/Bridges if he plays guard. Do you see any more O-liners, definite upgrades over what we have coming in?

15. By Andy in Delaware on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad Joey realized his role. Richard Marshall is a young, promising contributor that Horton can appreciate. I think we’re good with our DB, good on our D-line, and with passible LB. What’s the word with Heap? Another viable option in the passing game seems vital to the offense. Please, Darren, tell me there’s a chance that we could sign a pass-catching TE (and ma)be another OT?).

16. By cactus jeff on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

The Mirage in Vegas has the Over/Under for number games Kolb plays with Hadnot and Porkchop on the line at 4!

17. By CJ on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

im glad hes coming back and taking a smaller role he can still teach this young group of lbs a thing or to and he is a good player to have come off the bench and the maturity he showed in taking a pay cut to stay good job porter lets make some noise this year

18. By Khards on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Glad he decided to stay, he brings in valuable veteran presence and will be more productive taking less snaps this year. The Lock-out probably helped him out greatly, I saw him greeting KOLB and he looked so ripped and ready to roar.

19. By tom on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

darren,

how did the cards sign peterson to a 5 year deal? i thought they were all 4 year deals with a 5th year team option? or were you saying 5 years including the option?

20. By bluepitt on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

At least he is real!

21. By BIG RED on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I just hope you can make it , Porter. Have a good year.

22. By Skiptim on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

I read what you wrote about Brandon Keith not being able to participate until August 4th. Why is he excluded? When was his most recent contract signing?

23. By Eazy E on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals FO once again being incompetent, have they heard of matt roth, manny lawson( in our own division from SF), maybe trade for Osi, I know he was a DE, but he has stood up before and played a little OLB?

24. By Eazy E on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

We need a pass rush or quarterbacks will kill us.

25. By LB on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Hello Darren. What’s the logic behind free agents having to wait till Aug 4th to practice? I don’t see this benefiting anyone.

26. By Tyler on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I have much respect for joey. I hope we can get a pass rush threat.

27. By joe67 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I think it was obvious last year he had to be over used. Plus was dinged up a little. If he can be used in “spot situations” and stay fairly fresh and healthy, I think he can be a big help. Right now it looks like we are going to need him.
    Any young guys, UFA coming in that looks like they may have some potential?

28. By NJAzCardsFan on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren- are these players from last year going to re-signed? Or were they re-signed?

DT Keilen Dykes
    DE Kenny Iwebema
    CB Trumaine McBride
    TE Ben Patrick
    NT Bryan Robinson
    S Matt Ware

Any idea on how much salary cap space is left?

29. By Dan on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren, do you think the cards would pursue Lofa Tatupu when/if the Seahawks release him?

30. By DRC#! Fan on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

my last post as DRC #1 fan. boo hoo. I can accept and see that this trade will benefit our team. I am happy to see the Cards pay Kolb 20 mill garunteed over 5 years, when manning gets 18 mill in just one year. and to see Asamyogya sign for the same price as Kolb. A DB getting paid QB money. shows the Cards will make good smart decisions. now to spend our extra money on some key defensive forces. I say stock up on some old VEts to vamp up our defense for this year.

31. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Can’t say much about Porter. If he can produce and help the defense, I am for it. Limited time sounds good at his age, but he will still have to produce. Keeping him around can only help the younger linebackers develop. I’m looking forward to the season and I hope the coaches and upper management have it right this year. I don’t see a superbowl in sight for this year but I will be happy to get back on the winning side. Winning the NFC West is a first priority and once we are in the playoffs, lets see what happens. GO CARDS !!!!

32. By atta boy porter on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

i like this a lot…….
    porter is a great emotional player and inspirational guy we really need a guy like him in the locker room, this year will be a great year for him

33. By Dustin Whitlock on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

DARREN-

would it be possible that we pick up tatupu? idk what the numbers money wise are but is that possible?

34. By dre 1368 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

toler looks good out there i think he going to have a good year everyone looks dumb in front of larry great route running.

35. By Haggis Bob on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@brad oneill

Here, here: I second that motion!

Well said.

36. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

sean —

RE: James Jones

I don’t think the Cards are looking at him.

37. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Cards4 —

RE: Schofield

It can be, but let’s see it on the field.

38. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Rugby —

RE: NTs

No question the Cards will get another NT. Gabe Watson still could come back. Or they could go elsewhere. But they will get someone.

39. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

azcards24 —

RE: MY opinion

If the Cards throw to the TE more, which is becoming apparent that is the plan, the WRs should be fine.

40. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Tom —

RE: PP contract

Yes, the fifth year is a team option.

41. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Skiptim —

RE: Keith

Brandon was an RFA who signed his tender Friday. Like Doucet and like Hightower will be.

42. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

LB —

RE: Aug. 4

It’s a league rule because the league year doesn’t officially start until that day.

43. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

NJaz —

RE: Players

Iwebema is the only one on that list I expect back right now, but things change.

44. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Dan —

RE: Tatupu

No, I don’t expect that, but again everything is fluid these days.

45. By firemagoo on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Pittsburgh D is different. Plug in any OLB and they get pressure. Its the system not the individual players we’ll be good.

46. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

RE: Tatupu questions

I am not sure they’d want him right now. Been banged up, fits better in a 4-3. And they just got Bradley.

47. By Skiptim on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Darn, I remembered about Keith when I was laying in bed last night, but I was too lazy to get on here to tell you to forget the question.

2. Oct 6, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogBalancing Porter and Schofield «