Final rookie has a contract, and other notes

Posted by Darren Urban on July 31, 2011 – 1:40 pm

Second-round pick Ryan Williams agreed to his rookie contract today, a four-year deal for the running back that gets all the rookies finally signed. I would guess running back Tim Hightower is going to sign his tender offer sooner rather than later too.

– Multiple reports have put the name of WR Braylon Edwards back on the radar screen for the Cards. His name has surfaced and resurfaced a couple of times. He definitely isn’t going back to the Jets after Plaxico Burress signed. Edwards has former teammates like Jay Feely, Kerry Rhodes and Ben Graham here, he’s got a stud receiver in Larry Fitzgerald to take the heat off him, and, let’s face it, the market clearly hasn’t been what he thought it would be for him. To sign Edwards would continue the drastic revamping of the offense in just a matter of days (although let’s be clear — Edwards-to-Arizona is no sure thing).

– We are unveiling part of the camp coverage video-wise today with “Camp Unfiltered.” Here’s how the concept was explained to me: “A ‘raw’ inside look at different aspects of practice and the team.” The first installment puts the spotlight on catching punts.

– A happy birthday to owner Bill Bidwill, who turned 80 today. And while we are on the subject of birthdays — indulge me for a moment — I wanted to note my grandfather, Ray Urban, turned 100 yesterday, and I was lucky enough to be there.

Tags: , , , , ,

64 Responses to “Final rookie has a contract, and other notes”

1. By Tom Bush on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Braylon would be a good pick up. Can you throw in a LOT and move Levi back to ROT? lol. Happy Birthday to Mr. B and also to your grandfather. 100? Nice. My father and I have shared season tickets now for 14 years and we lost him three weeks ago at the age of 84. Going to games this year will have a different meaning.

2. By johnjohn1105 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

If we get Braylon Edwards… Damn! The Cards would have an explosive offensive attack. Fitz, Edwards, Heap, Roberts and a running attack of Beanie Wells, Ryan Williams!! Then a revamp O-Line with Kolb under center… That would be sick!!

Make it happen!!

3. By ProSportsPhoenix on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Happy birthday Bill and Ray :D

4. By Don't Take Losses on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

This is one of most exciting days as Card fan, ticket holder 22yrs.
    Happy BD, congrats on longevity Mr. Bidwill and Mr. Urban. Heap was icing on cake, Edwards would be a la mode.

5. By ProSportsPhoenix on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Braylon Edwards TOO! Seriously?

Cheers for Michael Bidwill!

6. By CardsFan on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Happy bday Mr. Bidwell & Mr. Urban!!!

7. By ron on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Happy Birthday to Mr. Bidwill and your grandfather who turned big 100. I guess that it ran in your family and will be hearing from you for a long time. LOL. Have a nice day.

8. By Ken on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

This would be an awesome addition. It is good to see that the organization is focusing on talent and what players can bring to the table rather than their off field mistakes. WITHOUT A RISK THERE IS NO CHANCE AT SUCCESS.

9. By Nick Pepe on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Don’t take this the wrong way: at 100, everyone involved lucky to be there!! Happy Birthday Mr. Bidwell and to Your Grandfather!!!

Mr. Bidwell, thanks for the Bday gifts you have given the fans. Love the fact that we are active in the market!!

Any truth to the Moss rumors?

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Memeber

10. By SeeingRed on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

My birthday past a couple of weeks ago but what a present it would be for Braylon Edwards to come here! I know him and Kerry R were tight when they played for the Jets so that’s one more thing that could help his transition out here!!

11. By BobF on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I hope it’s a healthy 100 for gramps. Thanks for all the hard work, Darren.

12. By voiceofreason on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Heap is a great pickup, and Edwards would be as well. Much as I like Steve Breaston, Edwards is a massive upgrade.

13. By BIGCARDFANCJ on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

THANKS FOR HARD WORK- ITS SO FUNNY THE SAME PEOPLE THAT WAS CRYING ABOUT DRC IS NOW DIEING DOWN AND SEE THE WHOLE PICTURE LIKE PEOPLE SAY FITZ DOESNT MAKE THE WHOLE TEAM NEITHER DID DRC HE WAS GOOD BUT ALL HE WAS WAS FAST NUTTIN ELSE NOT A TACKLER OR A COVER CONOR HE GOT BRUNT ALOT BUT GLAD SEE WILLIAMS FINALLY SIGN SO HE CAN COME AND TAKE THE STARTING POSTION WELLS NEED NOT LET THAT HABEN BUT IF HE PLAYS LIKE LAST YEAR HE LL BE MAD SITTING ON BENCH AND BE OFF THE TEAM BUT IM HOPEING HE HAS BREAK OUT THO

14. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Tom Bush —

RE: Birthdays/fathers

Unfortunately, I lost my father (and my grandfather’s son) in April. It changes things — and why it was so important for me to miss the first couple of days of camp to be there yesterday.

15. By brad oneill on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

wow 100!! hooray grandpa Urban. of course this may dampen the hopes of those bloggers hoping Darren had weak genes and might have to retire early so they could steal his job. :)

on a side note i have to give kudos to the cardinals for getting all the bad news out of the way first and then obviously getting to work building a great team for the 2011 season. I think when all the dust settles as much as I will miss deuce, breaston, and the others the cardinals will be a better team not because of their absence but because of the hard work done by the cards front office filling holes with able talent. last year Kerry Rhodes was our surprise upgrade. I think this year todd heap may help out filling in for the loss of breaston and taking some of the hits over the middle that doucet seems to fall victim too.

16. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Moss

17. By sasquatchery on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

signing Edwards would make me pee my pants.

but we gotta get stronger on the O-Line to give Kolb time…

Almost there….

18. By Boondock on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Andre is going to be real strong if he keeps muffing punt returns at that rate

19. By cdubbbbbb on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Good news he’d be a great pickup! We need to surround kolb with as many weapons as possible at least for his 1st year here. I’m hoping for big things this season! I was totally hummed with the start of FA but the past 2 days have eased my mind. Let’s get this division now!

20. By John on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

A little of subject but what number is patrick peterson going to get?

21. By Christian on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

First off, Happy Birthday Mr. Bidwill. Mr. Urban , if we do get Braylon Edwards, is there any punishments coming for him in 2011 season? If not, I say go for it. Camp already shortened and new QB, don’t need Kolb having to get on rhythm twice with Edwards.

22. By eric on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

braylon edwards would be absolutely sick! Look what edwards around did for mark sanchez and santonio holmes last year. I believe kolb and fitz are both much better than their jets counterparts mentioned above. Fitz and edwards- super bowl here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. By Nick Pepe on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@brad
    Adding Braylon would be huge. And it’s nice to see them active isn’t it’!!

24. By tom on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

if we get edwards thats a huge upgrade over breaston!!! he does the one thing great that fitz does avg! and thats be a speedy deep guy! fitz is amazing at everything but he isnt a burner and braylon is… if they get him im gonna be so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. By joe67 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

The Cards have been down there since, what, 1988? For God’s sake people, after all those years, please learn how to spell his name!! Its Mr. B-I-D-W-I-L-L.

Like in the Cards WILL win, not as in “WELL, the cards might win”!! If you can explain it in a different way, PLEASE do so Darren.
    LOL
    Happy b-day MR. BIDWILL

26. By Dane on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals are making some GREAT moves! Love having Heap back in AZ! Also Edwards would be a terrific signing! he’s young and would be a perfect #2 receiver behind fitz! GO CARDS!

27. By Dane on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

just heard letui is back with the cards on a one year deal! they are STACKED at the guard position!

28. By tom on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

darren,

dont play with me! is there really reports the cards are pursuing braylon lol? what do you honestly think the chances of us getting him are?

29. By brad oneill on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

holy crap the fat “man” is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duece is back things are looking good indeed. would it not be ironic if he failed his physical over his weight. Oh god John Lott is going to really enjoy running him up the mountain this year.

30. By Chris B on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Family will always trump work. I applaud the choice you made.

Less important topic: when do you think we’ll be able to have an updated roster list w/ #s?

To all: The Bidwill’s can’t be cheap this year. They have to spend the money. Can you imagine? It’s like using someone else credit card to do your Christmas shopping. Whiz and Graves have to be loving this. (I mean, seriously, they made an attempt at Nhamdi! When would that have happened before??)

31. By tyman on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Braylon would be an awsome pickup with heap and fitz. we would have one of the best WR groups in the nfl. If we dont get Edwards at least we got one of the pass catching TE in Heap, but if we get him its like wow.

32. By nor cal cards fan on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Is Duece really a Cardinal again?? And if he couldn’t pass the Bengals physical how is he going to pass ours..?

33. By CJ on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

we just lost tim hightower :( and we got duece back

34. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

John —

RE: Peterson jersey

He’s No. 31 for now, subject to change.

35. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Christian —

RE: Edwards

No idea. Let’s see if he signs first.

36. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Tom —

RE: Braylon

RE: We will see. I don’t do percentages.

37. By Mark in Chandler on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

We are still shy depth on the DL. Do you hear if Watson or another DL prospect might be on the horizon?

38. By Cards4Life on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    Wow 100 years imagine all that that man has lived through pretty amazing Happy Bday Mr. Urban!!!

39. By Tinted Face Shield on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Lutui???????? Some coach must love him on that team for a guy to leave and accept him back and also let Reggie Wells go last year in favor of him.

Wow, what does that do to the guard positions? I’m assuming Womack wouldn’t have been signed if they knew about Lutui.

Heap, Lutui, Hall… now just get Suggs

40. By Bucky on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

When I look at what the Cards have done in the FA market, I am amazed. They have signed 9 and perhaps 1 or 2 more to come. They said they were going to be aggresive, and they were! And our losses were not too bad. We even ended up with Lutui back, which I am sure must be a humbling result for him. After all the grief the Bidwills and Graves and Whiz have taken on this site during the last couple of weeks, I think it is time for all of us to offer them congratulations and turn our attention to an exciting, and hopefully, successful season.

41. By D on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

HAPPY BDAY TO MR. B AND TO MR RAY.

42. By Nick Pepe on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Brad- I’d be happy if Deuce ran down the mountain. What a week. The silence of the off-season leads to a malestrom of moves.
    @CJ, we are loaded at RB and Deuce wont fumball as much as #34
    @Mr. Bidwill – sorry for spelling name incorrect and will blame it on iphone auto correct.
    @all-
    crazy weekend. have to take off tomorrow for a stress reliever. i may have to play 36.

sign Braylon
    Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

43. By brad oneill on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

nick pepe- Yes indeed my brother, Yes indeed!.. It was looking a bit scary at first but i guess i should have had more faith in Rod Graves, I know he has done wonders with the budget he had to work with in the past but I also know this team has a history of not necessarily replacing talent when it walks out the door. I really felt that they put forth a strong effort last year in replacing all the great players they lost and because of the qb situation the whole thing came apart.

But this year they addressed their biggest issue first and have been second only to the Eagles as far as improving their situation without chasing the potential franchise breaking busts.

44. By joe again on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Ray-

Happy Birthday on your first 100 years!

45. By Chuck 1 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Happy B’Day, Mr. Bidwill.
    AND, a Very Happy B’Day to your Grandfather, Darren.
    Quite a coincidence, that they would have B’Days one day apart.

Sorry for the loss of your Dad, Darren. Those of us who have lost our Dads (and Moms) can relate to the lasting hurt that comes with those events.

46. By Sackman on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren

I asked you a few days ago if I heard the words aggressive in free agency? I also asked if we are aggressively trying or aggressively doing? Well it sure looks like I got my answer! I have been a Cardinal fan since the 70’s let me tell you that I have never witnessed or seen anything like this in free agency. Great job Bidwills and Happy 80th and 100th too!.

I only have 2 more wishes sign Fitz now and pick up Edwards. It starting to feel like Christmas!

Darren do you think this is happening because owners have to spend around 97% of there cap?

47. By darrel on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

We just gota keep braylon away from old town scottsdalr and we will be ok

48. By Scott H on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Happy B-day, Ray and congrats on a monumental achievement!

Looking at some of the posts, I find it interesting that some people think Braylon Edwards would be a “bonus” at this point. Um…WRONG!!! If you think that, then you must think either Chansi Stuckey or someone else already on the roster can just step right in and give us what Breaston did. As always, everyone is entitlled to their opinion. But I say that after losing Breaston, getting someone like Edwards is no bonus – it is an ABSOLUTE NECESSITY! Actually, given what he showed he is capable of last year, I would say that Edwards would actually give us more than what we lost in Breaston. And ya know what? That’s exactly the type of thinking this team needs a little more of right now. Settling for less than what Breaston was = weak. Striving to simply replace what Breaston was = passive. Going out and getting someone who will be an up-grade over Breaston = AGGRESSIVE! C’mon, Cardinals – let’s see it!

49. By Javi on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

look darren, lets face it didnt we also believe we had no chance to get a big name in todd heap!? So what are the risks of getting tim hightower?

50. By Bill on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren;

I noticed Gabe Watson is not listed on the Cardinals roster. Is this a mistake? If not, who’s backing up Dan Williams at Nose Tackle? You need two good guys at NT for a 16 game season(and hopefully playoffs).

51. By chris on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren is there and word on the rookies jersy numbers?

52. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Sackman —

RE: Moves

I think it’s because the Cards were miserable going through the season they went through last year.

53. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Bill —

RE: Watson

Backup NT is still TBD. Watson still could return, but he has not signed yet.

54. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Chris —

RE: rookie jerseys

Yes, but they all could change.

55. By Chuck on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

We should do whatever it takes to sign B.Edwards.And i think we should go for A.Samual at cornerback.If we do that we will be serious contenders!The NFC West should be a drop in the bucket!

56. By Eazy E on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Pay Braylon the money. He deserves at least 5-7 mil a year and probably higher honestly. He’s a #1 and him and fitz gives us 2 #1’s, c’mon cards sign him immediately and don’t be cheap, make it rain! In my opinion, and i’m not saying this because the cards might get him, but he’s better than santonio. Santonio is good no doubt, but alot of people get caught up in the clutch catches for good reason but when they do that, they knock on Braylon. He’s 6’3 215 lbs, goes deep, goes over the middle and has improved on his drops drastically and is a great run blocker. Braylon and Kerry are boys from the Jets days as people said and I saw when the Jets traded for him, like a video of him after they acquired him. Braylon, Kerry, and Mark Sanchez were chilling and hanging out, it was cool.

57. By Bob on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Now that Hightower is gone, will Lil’ Sweetness (Ryan Williams) get the #34 jersey like he wears on his arm and wore at VT, or is he going to wear #44 as shown on the roster? BTW, likely to be a lot of converted east coast Cards fans now that Williams is in AZ. We have enjoyed watching him tear up the ACC.

58. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Bob —

RE: RWIlliams

As of now, he is 44.

59. By Nick Pepe on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Brad-
    Pretty exciting stuff isn’t it!! Would love to add Braylon Edwards too. You have to give them credit. They are trying to put a winning team back out there. Working on getting tix for the east coast games now. Especially the game against the wretched green bums in Philly

60. By cards62 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Happy Birthday Ray 100 is outstanding!

Happy Birthday Bill Bidwill 80 to is a wonderful life. Cardinal fans I really think Bill wants his very own Vince Lombardi trophy and it is up to his son. Mike, Rod Graves, and Ken W. to get it for him and all of us. Last year is on them and not Bill B., and trust me I used to hate the man with a passion.

I think overall our front office is doing a good job, but a couple of moves this year have me scratching my head. Glad we have all the rookies signed and like Scott H. I agree signing Braylon Edwards or someone like him is a must after losing Boldin and Breaston. Braylon can look very bad at times with lack of effort and drops, but the man is a talent at Michigan and the Browns one year. I think Fitz. Kolb, and Heap would make him a great pickup for us.

What do you guys think about us signing A. Frankin nose guard 49ers?
    What do you guys think about us signing M. Lawson OLB 49ers?

Pat Kirwin top 40 remaining available free agents has Braylon as # 3, Steve Smith Giants # 35. Franklin at # 6, and Manny Lawson at # 13.

These are my last 3 dream choices for us. Franklin will be a monster.

Go Cards

61. By stevephoenix on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Boy if the Cardinals get WR Braylon Edwards to come to the desert then the Cards would have a very good WR combo then. With Steve Breaston gone the Cards need a WR badly and by getting Edwards would definitely help in a big way. No doubt that Edwards is a better WR then Breaston is and Edwards would help new comer QB Kevin Kolb for sure. I hope the Cards front office pulls the deal off.

62. By Lonnie Nutt on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Hey, team looks awesome so far, Edwards would be nice, still a little concerned about O line. Duce needs to get serious about playing instead of winning eating contests. I still would like to see another good quality corner, injuries can really take one out,(remember DRC blew a knee). Other than that the addition of Heap will really help close to the goal line. I am stoked, hey what about that other dude in Philly, Sammuel I think is his name???

2. Aug 1, 2011: Cardinals the front runner for Braylon Edwards | Pro Football Zone
  3. Aug 1, 2011: Braylon Edwards gets interest from Cardinals; Jets viewed him as “diva” - A printing blog for people who are interested in graphic design and commercial printing - PrintingWeek.net - The Printing Blog