• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Hightower traded to Redskins, Deuce suddenly returns

Posted by Darren Urban on July 31, 2011 – 3:00 pm

I suppose, in this crazy, condensed offseason, the unexpected should be expected. So I wasn’t too surprised today to hear running back Tim Hightower was traded to the Redskins, in exchange for veteran defensive end Vonnie Holliday and a sixth-round draft pick. I was, however, stunned to hear that guard Deuce Lutui flunked his physical with the Bengals, with whom he signed last week. I was also stunned to hear the Cardinals then brought him back on a one-year contract. That’s certainly not how Lutui wanted his free agency to play out. That dynamic now that he is returning, and how/if he fits into the lineup, will be very, very interesting.

As for Hightower, another good man in that locker room, it was clear when they drafted Ryan Williams that, eventually, Hightower or Beanie Wells would be moving on. I thought it might not be until after this season. Turns out it’s today. The fumbling issues really hurt Hightower. So he signed his tender and gets a shot with the Redskins (Cards at Washington, Week Two, by the way) and the Cards alleviate the crowd in the backfield and get vet depth to work along the defensive line.

Dang, I can barely keep up.

Tags: , , , , , ,

117 Responses to “Hightower traded to Redskins, Deuce suddenly returns”

1. By Boondock on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Always glad to get extra draft picks! Anybody have any insight on Vonnie Holiday?

2. By Josh on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

So Darren, help me understand something. Hightower had a 2nd round tender placed on him, right? Does that mean we get a 2nd round draft pick next year or just that the other team had to compensate the equivalent value of a 2nd round pick?

3. By Boondock on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

holy balls…going to be 36 in December

4. By Soares20 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

This doesn’t bother me at all we have a crowded back field and I was never a fan of him because (like you said Darren) of his fumbling issues. We help out the D-Line for Horton and get a draft pick. Also great job Darren I’ve been watching NFL Network all day and you informed me before they did, really appreciate your diligence!

5. By Tbru on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

cue the music to the twilight zone, hate to loose Timmy, but hate to see him fumble any more either. So do the Bengals have higher standards for fitness than we do? Did Deuce refuse to bust a cap in some punk and fail his Cincy initiation?

6. By Eddy on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Hey darren, whats with all the one or two year deals? What are they trying to do with these short term deals? just curious

7. By Blair on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Wow! well i guess we really get a chance to see if beanie has got it or not. and what williams has. the niners and seahawks are looking even more pathetic than normal. cant wait for 9/11

8. By Chris R on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Kinda sad.. we got a 35 yr old DE who’s production has massively declined and a 6th round pick.

9. By Cards4Life on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Dont know how to feel on Deuce the guy has potienal but always shows up over weight and out of shape and with the short off-season and fact that he cant even start to pratice untill Aug.4 leaves me wondering how much endurance this guy will have come the start of the season but still a good pick-up can never have to many big O-line men

10. By Chris B on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Hightower was one of my favorites. Good luck buddy.

11. By TonyGuinn on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

He’s still a BEAST even though he’s a little old

12. By tom on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

holliday is a very smart guy. hes more of a veteran leader guy he will hardly play. good locker room pick up though for sure.

13. By cactus jeff on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Vonnie Holliday was a 1st rnd pick by the Packers after Reggie White retired. That means he has played a long time. Veteran, very average.

But I have to say, wow, first time in free agency the Cardinals played it right! YEEHAAA, slowtower is gone! Deuce is back, interior OL is set. Goodbye Hadnot! I will keep my season tickets.

14. By Zero on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I have never seen the Cards so active, they are on the news a lot! There are talks between them and Edwards too. Great news.

15. By Zapper on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

How much did Deuce weigh that made him fail a physical?

Seriously though you have been doing a excellent job not getting mad a people that ask the same questions over and over again, many after Kent Somers reports or you report we are not looking at them. Are the cardinals looking at more people, yes they are but you guys don’t share information about the people you are looking at. Duh and/or hello.

16. By nola on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

who is vonnie holiday? is he a possible starter?

17. By Gilbert Card on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I am sad to see Tim go. Heck, I think Beanie should have gone instead, fumbles the same, gets hurt all the time, and has not really been the “elite” running back that he was supposed to be. Tim did much for this team. Thanks for the memories Mr. Hightower! Best of luck with the Skins.

18. By LUKE on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

so yeah,a.d.d. offseason .not sure how to take this one but hey,we are stacked at hb and although holliday is….well…old,he still is a hard hitter that plays better than alot still.

19. By ProSportsPhoenix on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Old, will turn 36 during the season.

20. By D on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

wow-graves is getting crazy….I said yesterday that they should send hightower to Indy for Hughes…so maybe I had planted a seed…ha ha.

21. By ac on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

vonnie will play on a few 3rd and long situations prbably nothing more. nice to have lutui back. would love to see edwards or floyd in a cards uni next year.

22. By NYCardinals212 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I hate o second guess, but couldn’t we have let him sign with another team and get a 2nd round pick in return (to replace our second rounder in the deal for Kolb). I suppose it all depends on what Vonnie Holiday brings to the team. I am just ignorant on this one.

23. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

That’s it.
    Too much going on at the same time. I need a helmet so my head doesn’t explode.

24. By CJ on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

hes 35 years old

25. By ProSportsPhoenix on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Good luck to Tim Hightower. I really liked him, other than the fumbles he did everything right. Great talent will do great in Washington, very durable.

I wonder how much Deuce’s decision to sign a 1-year contract had to do with what the Cards have been doing.

26. By Barry Bond on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know about trading Hightower? Yes, he had fumbled at times but the fact remains he is the best receiver coming out of the back field! In addition he was also the best blocker we had in the back field. I think he will be missed? Remember when he did break lose like that 70 yard run against the Saints in the 09 play offs. And he had some other long runs the last 2 seasons. His average per carry I think is around 5 yards. I know we have several running backs now, but can they BLOCK? This could be a concern for Kolb?

27. By ProSportsPhoenix on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Get Duece in shape and then trade him for draft picks if he does not want to be here.

28. By Bob on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Keep up the good work D

29. By RealCardsFan on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Cactus Jeff is a Cowgirl -

30. By brad oneill on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

i always liked Hightower despite my multitude of mean comments regarding his fumbling issues. He is a good man and I wish him the best in Washington. Too bad they couldnt trade him for haynesworth.- i wont tell you if that was sarcasm or not until after we see how he does with the pats.

31. By gang6230 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

good move now just how does a guy not pass his physical??
    tim was a fumbler needed change at the position. i remember the coach sat him down for a couple of weeks yeah who is vonnie holiday?

32. By Ross on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren, thanks for all the info. Won’t hear from me anymore.

33. By Scharf on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Sorry but Tim Hightower was our best RB on the roster. We have Beanie Wells who hasn’t lived up to potential and only sparked during the end of his rookie year, and we have Ryan Williams who is unproven to this point. (Not trying to diss The Hyphen, because I like him too and hope he beats out Buster Beanie Wells.) Regardless of the fumbling issues, Hightower was a good all-around back, something that is hard to find. I will greatly miss him and watch as he finally breaks his 1.000 yard season under the Redskins. They have gotten a fine RB.

34. By John on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Boondock-

I just looked at Holliday’s stats and he’s had some very solid seasons and in his prime he’s had upwards of 8 sacks in a season. Although now he may be a bit past his prime he should be a solid rotational backup behind Calais Campbell and Darnell Dockett.

35. By Scott H on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Sorry to see Hightower go. But enough of that. Note to Cardinlas – DO WHAT EVER THE HELL YOU NEED TO DO TO GET BRAYLON EDWARDS HERE, DAMMIT!!! We NEED a WR – because regardless of what ever this organization wants to delude itself into believing, Chansi Stuckey is a total ZERO – and Edwards is just sitting there for the taking. Do SOMETHING to make us believe you are trying to get back to being a contender! Do SOMETHING to help this QB you just traded for! Do SOMETHING to keep Fitz from being smothered by entire secondaries! Do…SOMETHING!!!

And after you’re done with that, Antonio Cromartie is also just sitting out there waiting for someone to want him…

36. By Bryan on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

if the cardinals do not get braylon edwards to sign does that mean the cards will open up talks with Malcom Floyd again? thank you for keeping us updated so well!

37. By Andrew on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren

It is for sure a sixth round pick, or does it have a chance to become a higher pick if Hightower plays/performs more?

Thanks

38. By richard moreno on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Good luck hightower but this is what the cards needed. the backfield isn’t muddled up anymore, you can sense how the reps will be given out on game day now and how the cards plan on running this offense. i think and hope we are gonna see a good dose of running this year finally.

39. By Scott H on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Almost hate to say it , but…assuming that he can be at least as physically healthy as he was last year, I would love to hear that the Cardinals would consider looking at Terrell Owens. AFTER they sign Braylon Edwards, that is!!! Really, why not? The man was a beast for the Bengals last year ( made Chad Johnson disappear ) and he was well-behaved. At this point, it will cost very little for him on a one-year flyer. IF he is physically capable of being where he was last season, the up-side is huge. Or, at the very least, the down side is minimal. Hey, he has a lot more left in his tank right now than Alan Faneca had in his last year! Really, what is there to lose???

40. By Stevie on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

What a loss! Tim Hightower is a great character guy and a talented running back with a lot of heart. I hope the new guys–both free agents and rookies will measure up in those areas. With the Cards playing both the Eagles and Redskins this year, I hope those trades don’t come back to haunt us.

41. By Garrett on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I live in northern Virginia and a redskin fan of mine said they were going to cut Holliday. The man is 35 with 62 career stats so we could do a lot worse in terms of a back-up.

Does this mean Williams will get number 34? I’m looking forward to getting his jersey.

42. By Scott H on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Just saw where Tatupu was released by the Seahawks??? Hmmm…I’ll bet he would love a chance to kick their butts 2X a year! Darren, if your head is not spinning too rapidly at the moment, what was this about? Is there an issue with his health that is prompting the team to ask him to take a pay cut? Did the Seahawks need cap room for others coming on board? Interesting…

43. By Mike Ellingboe on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Darren,

Completely agree about being shocked when I read the headline, but not so surprised that he flunked his physical. On the surface, it sounds like another less than productive off-season for him.

44. By Stevie on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Regarding Deuce: I am sure he is a nice guy, but I hope he has learned his lesson concerning conditioning. It looks like the Bengals weren’t interested in spending the time the Cards have in the past few years in training camp helping him to get in shape. I am surprised the CArds signed him, but perhaps Coach Whiz believes Deuce will be a changed man and get a more realistic idea of his own worth in the market.

45. By tyman on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Like the moves.
    Kind of got shafted by the eagles, but lots of new faces.
    Teams like the eagles will need three all-star CB’s if we can pick up edwards.Who would the team double cover fitz, edwards or todd in the redzone.

46. By Arizona Brian on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

darren you keep up just fine lol…im just wondering when your gonna take a vacation lol…thanks for all the updates..seriously best team reporter in the league!..thanks for the hard work darren!

47. By kirk on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Sad to see Hightower shipped out, I guess his fumbles did him in. I
    thought he showed us more output at RB than Beanie did. This does
    definately mean though that Beanie will have to step it up big time
    this season, I only hope he can!

48. By azcards24 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

so your saying “the bengals dropped a duece”! and they did it right on US!

49. By Steve on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren: Given Braylon Edwards problems off the field would the Bidwills consider giving him a base salary 1yr deal loaded with incentives? How serious do you think the team is in signing him?

50. By matt99 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

yea he is old

51. By cory on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Please get Braylon Edwards, Cards… Please, please, please. It would complete the most awesome free agency I have ever witnessed in my long, long time of Cards fandom. I’m begging you. Make this happen…

52. By Rich on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Holliday is a throw in. But they need DL’s in camp. If he makes the team he’ll be a situational guy – still has a bit of a pass rush. Cards need to sign a big, interior DL who can rotate with Williams on the nose. Most of the pass rush will come from the linebackers and from Adub.

53. By Matt in Philly on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Just FYI, here are the starters we’ve let go to other teams from our 2008 super bowl run (just two years ago).

- Dansby, Rolle, Antonio Smith, LaBoy, Hayes, Rodgers-Cromartie, Boldin, Breaston, Hightower.

Champions hold on to their impact players. I’m not saying we’ve made bad moves, I’m just saying.

54. By John on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Any interest in Lofa Tatupu?

55. By mike on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Vonnie Last years stats played in 15 games started in 2. Total Tackles 16, Sacks 2.5, 0 Forced Fumbles, 0 ints.

56. By John the draft guy on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Throw one more guy into the mix at RG and RT. I would think Deuce would win his job back, giving us a pretty good O-line now that Bridges, Pork Chop and Keith will battle for that Tackle spot.

I love Hightower because of two plays. The 4th down run and the screen pass for a TD that led us to the superbowl. I will always be greatful but it became evident it was time to move him with the drafting of Williams. I wish you well Timmy.

Fast and furious. Vonnie Holiday gives us another guy for depth.
    Any WR news?

57. By Noah on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Vonnie Holiday has been in a league a long time. I don’t see him as much more than a depth rusher that would be a part-time player with the Cards. He should provide a few snaps a game for the team. I don’t expect him to be a difference maker. I like the trade though and perhaps this will free up a little more money for another free agent like Braylon Edwards.

58. By Craig Barker on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I do not understand this off season. First Steve Breaston, then DRC, now Tim Hightower? We are dismantling the Super Bowl Team. Not much to show for it.

59. By mike on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren, Whats the chances of Cards signing LB Lofa Tatupu?

60. By Michael on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

This is very sad news about Hightower. I was worried after the draft that he might be the odd man out because of his “fumbling issues” but how is Wells viewed in a better light? Wells was suppose to take over for Hightower (who was coming off a promising rookie year, where he scored the game winner to get us in the Super Bowl!) but he could never take the job from him. Hightower has outproduced Wells the last to years and if you look at the numbers, they have gotten better each year, especially his yards per carry. I have been a fan since I was young and realize favorites come and go (ie Plummer, Leinart Boldin, Breaston) but Hightower was special. Everytime I hear bout him, I think of him going into the endzone against Philly. I bought his black jersey a few months back and I cannot wait to wear it week two. I want a Cards victory, but I absolutely hope Hightower runs all over us. I was skeptical last year when we got rid of Leinart and must say I am now with Hightower. I am trusting coach Whiz that Kolb and Willams will come through. Thanks for all the updates lately too, you are on top of things.

61. By Peter in Canada on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren – The Lutui signing is a shocker. If he failed the Bengals physical how will he pass the Cards physical and if he fails the Cards physical does that void his contract?

62. By PACardsfan on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I liked Tim, but he did have fumble issues in which many came at turning points in a game, but I’m not to fond on Beenie. I wish we traded Beenie instead, but I understand this deal. I’ve seen where the Cards are interested in B. Edwards. Darren, any idea if the Cards are looking at Steve Smith (NYG)? He is a nice WR and I know his last injury was seroius, but if I’m correct, he’s clear to play again and is healthy. He has good hands. Also, kinda curous, u think they may try and get Ronnie Brown even though they have Beenie and Williams and just traded Tim? He is a pretty solid back and could push Beenie even more.

63. By Ron on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

It’s good to see Deuce returning back to the Cards and for a discount $. Darren is there any truth that we are looking at WR or CB position?

64. By cardsalltheway on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

As much as I’d like to rely on Beanie Wells, I’m still worried. However, RB’s are a dime a dozen. The Packers won the Super Bowl with a rookie RB, if only Ken W. wouldn’t pressure our RB’s by making comments about any or every mistake a particular RB might make such as “He missed a block” or “He fumbled the ball.” That’s for practice or face to face in the office. General comments are enough Ken W., stop calling out our running backs and focussing on mistakes. Please change the way you answer questions about our team/players, I hope you did that during this past off season? Isn’t there a class for that kind of thing for coaches? I think a new certificate is needed.

65. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I told you last week that you should have posted a new poll question regarding how much Duece would weigh when he returns to camp. ;)

66. By Blake on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Will the Cardinals be interested in signing another WR out of the plethora of Free-Agent ones out there?? The more Veteran Receievers Kolb has (along with a strong O-Line) the easier the transistion will be. Heap was a great move for the Cards this offseason and I hope for more of the same in that direction.

67. By Jzoully on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Could the Cardinals be interested in Matt Light, the offensive tackle who hasn’t signed with anyone…In my opinion I think that if we get both Matt Light and Braylon Edwards we will be NFC West Champs once again. What are your opinions on both Matt Light and Braylon Edwards signing with the Cardinals?

68. By Paul H on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Heard a report from DC that Holiday doesn’t want to report to AZ. Possible deal breaker? stay tuned.

69. By Tinted Face Shield on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Who is the back up nose tackle right now? What’s up with Watson and Robinson? Also, Iwebema?

70. By ProSportsPhoenix on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Reports say Deuce was two Big Macs under 400 in Cincy.

71. By in fitz we trust on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

hey cant complain about deuce, prolly gotm back cheaper n as for hightower, eventhough he was our most productive back last year, gotta stick with the youth. i hope wells holds the weights

72. By Dennis on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Never be stunned when it comes to Lutui. This guy has never been in shape.
    I am not surprised that he flunked his physical. He has problems every year making weight. Soon he will eat his way out of the NFL.

73. By Rob24 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

When will the Petersons pressor be up on the web or is there a link?
    Thanks.

74. By Scharf on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Boondock, he is a 35 year old defensive end entering his 14th season in the NFL, making Arizona his 4th home in the past 4 years. He has combined for 65 total sacks, 290 tackles, 2 interceptions, and 8 forced fumbles throughout his career. To me, this guy isn’t too big of a deal. In my mind the only reason we traded away Hightower was solely for draft picks because I don’t know how much more gas this guy has left in the tank.

75. By CZarr on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Some nice throws and catches in practice. Who threw the long ball to Fitz over GT at 1.30min?

76. By jason on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I’m going to miss Breaston and Hightower…but, you can not be mad at our activity this offseason.

77. By No on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Ya he is a washed up d lineman. The Cards organization is a joke. Just saying.

78. By Dan on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Vonnie Holiday has seen better days……….surprised Hightower is gone. He was getting better every season aside from his fumbling problems but u would think he has probably been working on it considering he’s a hard worker. Gonna miss Hightower…………..football is a very tough business unless your a freak.

79. By YmmyYames on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, Holliday was a first round pick and he’s been around the league for a long time. He’s been sufficient in both base packages (4 and 3 man fronts). He will be a good addition. He’s transitioned well to become a veteran leader through his career. He should be a really good vet to have on the team if they keep him.

Good bye Hightower and turning the ball over. I wish you the best and I hope you get that sorted out. You have potential in Shanahan’s scheme to be another great back.

80. By Alex on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

@Boondock. He’s a solid guy. 65.0 sacks in his career. He’s more of a 3-4 DE so he should fit in well.

81. By Jonboski on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

What would happen if Vonnie does refuses to report to AZ? WIll it void or alter the trade agreement at all?

82. By Ricky West on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Holliday spent one season with the Redskins, playing mostly as a reserve. The 35-year-old veteran has also played for the Green Bay Packers, Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins and Denver Broncos over 13 NFL seasons

83. By ckeftz on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Most exciting off-season I can ever remember for the Cards! We know they started with plenty of cap space and got even more after cutting/adjusting a couple contracts… Do you have any idea if we are close to the cap/ceiling at this point? Can we expect a few more moves?

84. By nooner on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

see ya fumble fingers

85. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Hate to see Hightower go, seemed like his work ethic was much better than Wells. But not Beanie has no excuses. He wanted the ball more and now he will get the ball more. Lets hope he can stay healthy enough to carry the load. I’m not to high on rookie running backs so the jury is out on our new running back. Maybe the combination of Williams and Wells will work out better than Hightower/Wells. Tim did fumble too much and at crucial times. Getting Deuce back could be a blessing if he comes back with a new attitude. Deuce is legit. He just needs to change his mindset. Go Cards !!!!

86. By redrage34 on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Hightower was a great workhorse. He played hard in every game and gave the team a lot of tds every year. He is a very underated player. He will be missed. They should have kept him one more year.

87. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Josh –

RE: Hightower tender

None of the above. That was if he left as a free agent. He was traded. No second round pick involved.

88. By Andre on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I think it’s official. Braylon Edwards is a CARDINAL. He just tweeted Jay Feely about a minute ago. I’m guessing the deal doesn’t become official until tomorrow.

Here’s his quote

@jayfeely I love hit weather.

I think he means HOT…LOL

Reports suggest he’s getting a 2 year 4-4.5 million/year deal.

89. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Eddy –

RE: Short deals

Many of these players are finding out the riches of free agency aren’t there. So they want to get a job and take another shot soon.

90. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Andrew –

RE: Pick

I think it is conditional yes. Not sure how it would move though.

91. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Garrett –

RE: Williams jersey

I wouldn’t be surprised but I’m not going to say yes yet.

92. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Edwards

I think a deal could be done. But it’s not a sure thing. Depends on where Braylon is with his expectations.

93. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Mike –

RE: tatupu

I do not expect Tatupu here.

94. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Peter –

RE: Deuce contract

If he doesn’t pass the physical, he won’t even sign a contract.

95. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully –

RE: Edwards/Light

Braylon has a chance. Don’t see Light.

96. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Tinted –

RE: Backup Nose

The Cards don’t really have one right now. Watson still could return, Iwebema too. Not sure Robinson will.

97. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

CZarr –

RE: Pass to Fitz

Not sure.

98. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Jonbsoki –

RE: Holliday

I haven’t heard anything like that.

99. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

ckeftz –

RE: Moves

We are probably getting near the end but I do think there could be a couple/few more.

100. By K DUB on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Do we still the 2nd round pick for Hightower, or was that only if he signed somewhere else?

101. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

K-Dub –

RE: Hightower

Only if he was signed away.

102. By UK Card on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Sorry to loose Tim! Nice guy, bet he`ll be missed in the locker room!

Am really hoping this is beanies break out year! like D Macfaddin had last year! Guess we`ll soon see, i thought Hightower would resign and Beanie would be traded! Don`t think much of Deuce! Don`t think he wants to be here! And if he`s not good enough for the Bengals with all there troubles, Don`t think we should take him back!! Thanks Darren doing awesome job!!!!!

103. By Dre on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I didn’t like Hightower but I don’t care for this trade. I would have liked to see the Cards get a player that could have been useful for a two or three years and a better draft pick. What does a guy like Vonnie Holliday play for besides picking up a check at this stage in his career with a new team.

I would have been happy for just a 3rd round pick for next year. I guess it’s hard to get rid of player with issues – fumbles

I love the Todd Heap pick-up…now let’s get Braylon Edwards and the west is a rap.

If we get Braylon with Fitz and Heap in the middle, Kolb throwing I wouldn’t mind Whisenhunt passing 40 to 50 times a game.

104. By desertdog on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Hightower will be missed as a quality Cardinal player, the kind we’ve come to expect in the organization recently. I agree with the numerous comments about Beanie. He hasn’t stayed healthy enough to be the focus back. I wouldn’t be surprised if another player joined the team in the next few weeks to make that situation more liquid for the Cardinals. I’m not a big fan of Braylon Edwards, I’ve just seen him drop too many passes in the past. Hopefully the team will keep that option open as well. This past week has been exciting……does it seem like its going to really slow down now in the upcoming week?

105. By Tbru on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Isn’t Braylon Edwards another jailbird? Cards usually avoid them.

106. By cardsalltheway on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I think a new type of coaching regulation should’ve been sought after by the players, the type that would’ve disallowed coaches from calling out individual players during the season. EPIC FAIL = The Players Union missed.

107. By ibleedcardred on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

What are they thinking? Yes, Hightower fumbled some, but Wells fumbled more per carry, had far less yards per carry, and had many less carries cause he couldn’t stay on the field. The rookie’s pre-draft bio list injury and fumble concerns for him as well. Hightower averaged 4.8 yards per carry, and he blocked for our quarterback, where Wells watched blitzers fly past him like he was in the stands eating popcorn. In my opinion, our running game just took a huge hit!

108. By cards62 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren – Do you think Hightower did not sign his RFA tender because we drafted WIlliams in the second round?

Darren – Why didn’t we let Hightower check the free agency market and if someone signed him we would receive their 2nd round draft choice which l realize they may not, but then worse case is we get Tim back and he understands his value better?

My opinion we wasted our 2nd round draft choice now for 2 years. LB, Brown from Conn. and now WIlliams. Williams may be great but we did not need him this year with Tim. Beanie, and LSH. 2 outside LB and Kyle Rudolph and several good OT were available to us. If RB do not work out in 2011 draft in 2012. I think our 3 RBs are in their prime and would have great 2011 season with a QB and some blocking. Tim averaged what almost 5 yards a carry last year. Is there a team in the NFL with worse OT than the Cardinals?

Cardinal Fans we are also going to bring back Bertrand Berry to play end on one side and call him Vacation and pair him with Holiday on the other side and whenever either one records a sack any fan in the stands with an AARP card receives a free hotdog. Berry and Holiday will also be doing rocking chair commericals for our favorite local furniture retailer. I think Andy Reid could have received more value for Tim.

Overall I am pleased we are active especially with a TE, but man our front office makes me scratch my head. Go Cards!

109. By Randy Butler on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Hey I am hearing that Holiday might retire and all we’ll get for Hightower is a 6th round pick? What do you know about that?

110. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

cards62 –

RE: More Hightower

It’s my understanding Hightower was just about to sign his tender anyway (and he couldn’t have been traded if he had not).

And generally, pro personnel people feel Williams has much bigger upside than Hightower.

111. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Randy –

RE: Holliday

Haven’t heard anything there yet.

112. By dynasty1717 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I don’t want to put out the negative vibe right before the season, but it is a little frustrating to see come of the moves the Cardinals made when others could have happened. I like Kolb, but we gave up a little too much to get him. Now that all the smoke is cleared, it looks like we could have gotten Orton for Hightower and maybe an additional 4th round pick. Denver obviously needed a RB for their system and Hightower was available. That would have gotten us a better QB who obviously knows Josh McDaniels system that we will now play against twice a year, all for less of a draft pick for 2012 and we’d still have DRC. I hope Kolb works out. We are pulling for him. Still need another good WR to assit Fitz.

113. By Scott H on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Wow…these posts about Holliday are depressing. We traded HT for THIS??? We had a surplus at RB, so I don’t mind giving him up for something of value, but…my gosh, is there any guarantee this Holliday guy will even make the final roster??? He sounds like the defensive linemen version of Alan Faneca ( and we saw how well that turned out ). hey, if nothing else, at least we looked somewhere else besides the Steelers for an old. used up veteran with nothing left…

114. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: Holliday

Not everyone thinks that http://twitter.com/#!/ProFootbalFocus/status/97791869433561089

115. By Eazy E on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I don’t like this trade in giving up our best running back. I hope Vonnie can come in and contribute on the d-line. Big Deuce coming back is nice and a needed addition on the o-line.

116. By pipapiko on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Deuce is weight is not a matter at all! He is clearly a beast and on the field, he plays at a very high level! Some kind of a discount though 1 yr deal potentially 3mil? Pretty nice for 4 months left of this lockout year. Look on the bright side, Kevin Kolb will have a for sure locked down right side!

2. Jul 31, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogPeterson’s arrival «