Peterson’s arrival

Posted by Darren Urban on July 31, 2011 – 10:11 pm

Don’t remember the last time a No. 1 draft pick’s arrival was so off the radar, but it was Sunday for cornerback Patrick Peterson, but that’s what happens when Todd Heap arrives and Tim Hightower is traded and Deuce Lutui returns (we won’t even talk about the fact second-round pick Ryan Williams signed).

But Peterson did arrive — his first practice is Monday morning, although it’ll only be a walkthrough — and he sounded ready to go. He knows Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is gone, but Peterson was a good cross between confident and humble as he spoke.

“I still have to come in and make plays,” Peterson said. “It’s definitely a big loss to the secondary but at the same time it a business. We have to move on.

“I was definitely looking forward to learning from DRC but now they brought in Richard (Marshall), so I have a great opportunity to learn under him.”

Peterson was asked about finally going against Larry Fitzgerald, but the rookie pointed out he had a chance to train some with Fitz in the offseason.

“He told me he’s going to make me better and he’s definitely looking for me to make him better,” Peterson said. “That’s the beauty of this whole deal.”

Tags: , , ,

43 Responses to “Peterson’s arrival”

1. By Chris R on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

I like how the secondary looks. I kind of expect Peterson to slide in as nickle at first until he gets fully acclimated then he’ll either push Toler or Marshall out to nickle. Gonna miss DRC but our DB’s now meet that Horton requirement of small guys who hit hard and hey, they can even cover pretty good too.

A lot of people think that “aggressive” in free agency meant we were going to go and spend the bank on top names. Just means we’re going to make a lot of moves and sign a lot of people. Try to get better and keep in mind cap numbers.

Team looks good. Need to see them gel/mesh well and apply it to Sundays.

GET EM BIRDGANG!

2. By chris on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

i will always miss drc <3

3. By Bryan on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

If the cardinals dont sign Braylon edwards, will the cards open up talks with Malcom Floyd or some other reciever to better compliment Fitz at the #2 wr position? Im just wondering if the cardinals are trying to sign him out of necessicity or if its just the fact that there is little interest in the rest of the league and the cards thought that he would be a steal.

Thank you for all the rapid responses you give to all my comments. Your doing a great job darren!

4. By brad oneill on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

not only a number one pick but the 5th number one pick. usually we have big expectations for our number 1’s but this guy is probably #1 on the depth chart and he hasn’t even met the defensive coordinator yet.

5. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Let’s get this Party started. Double P is in the building. I’ll be at the Raider game. In “The Black Hole” wearing all my Cardinal gear. Can’t wait for the season to begin. Now lets sign Edwards or the kid from San Diego and get DE Ray Edwards from Minnesota that just came available. Another LB would be nice too. Lets win the west and move on from there. Go Cards !!!

6. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Boondock —

RE: Peterson

I don’t think we will post the whole thing, but I will check tomorrow.

7. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Bryan —

RE: Floyd

Let’s take one thing at a time. If Edwards goes elsewhere, then we can look at what’s next.

8. By Eric on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Very impressed with all the moves. Edwards would be a great addition, minus the attitude. Maybe Fitz would rub off on him. With Kolb, Fitz, Heap, and Edwards the passing game will be great. Add a little Williams , and his CJ type running to up the competition at RB, the run game will be awesome. Mix in some nasty Horton defense , things look good. ON PAPER.

I hope everyone will be patient and relize these guys haven’t had any time to practice, so let’s hope they gel quick and can win the NFC West, like they seem to have already done on paper.

9. By 51 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

what about steve Smith from NYG, under rated guy could be a little bit cheaper then edwards if money would be a issue. Any news on him?

10. By shannon robinson on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

The final roster cutdown goes to 53 players, so we’re getting close now to that number when you count the significant contracts that have been signed between veterans and drafted rookies. This is a capped year at 120 million plus the benefits figure for player salaries. When we went to the Super Bowl the team spent 124 million on total team salaries. Last year the team spent 94 million on team salaries and we all witnessed that product. The only advantage to last year’s misery is the low salary scale the Cards paid out in 2010. Only Carolina (74 million total team salaries) and Tampa Bay (84 million & a youth movement) spent less money than the Cards in 2010. Arizona cut a lot of big money players last year and in the beginning of 2011 which has resulted in tremendous buying power when there are more quality free agents available than ever in NFL history. Under this year’s CBA every team was granted an extra 3.5 million to spend no matter what. Double P also cost a fraction of what a number 5 would have cost in the last 10 years. Mr Lutui is a perfect example of a player who chafed under his restricted status last year only to finally become a free agent this year in a buyer’s market. I’m real glad to have him back, but he is personally a Cap casualty of a different sort. Let’s not forget we haven’t extended Fitz so we have to continue to be parsimonious. This ain’t fantasy football, but more like high stakes poker. More quality free agents will become available in the next 10 days just like Coach Whiz said – guys like Braylon Edwards who will be released as teams struggle with the Cap. I believe “The Plan” was more about managing money than picking players, which is the same deal actually. Good job Mr. Graves.

11. By Jonathan on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Really hope PP can eventually fill that hole left by DRC on the field. Not just in taking over that number one spot but commanding the attention deserved.
    I’d be really nervous about having Edwards here in AZ. The way he behaves is just real bad for team morale. With so many additions to the team I’d hate for us to have that bad atmosphere. He doesn’t seem like he’d mesh with Kolb or Fitz at all.

12. By Jesse Robles on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Is it just me, or does P2 already sound like a Vet? He sure does look like a Vet, I just hope he plays like a Vet. Ryan Williams is going to be the Offensive Rookie of the year, and P2 Defensive. Don’t think that can happen, but running 2 TE and the moves we are making…we are going to be sick. SO pumped!!!

13. By cardsalltheway on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Way to go Darren,
    When I saw you there in the video I couldn’t help but think of this song…

I like the back up singers in the song above. We can count on you Darren, you da man!

14. By cardsalltheway on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Week 6 is a BYE, but weeks 7 – 14 are the toughest: Steelers/home @Ravens, Rams/home, @Eagles, @49ers, @Rams, Cowboys/home, 49ers/home(week 15 Browns/home). But of course each game counts, including the first five and last three.

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

51 —

RE: SSmith/Edwards

Seems Edwards is the target right now.

16. By cardsalltheway on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

A Plan of Action…
    “Games don’t count for a month…,”
    Really, if only they didn’t last year for Leinart! Sorry, I couldn’t help it.

17. By Shtiggy on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren, any word on Kreutz’s interest in the Cards and vice versa now that talks have broken down with Chicago?

Also, any chance that the Cards will go after Tatupu?

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Shtiggy —

RE: Tatupu/Kreutz

I don’t see them going with Tatupu. I haven’t heard anything about Kreutz. They like Sendlein.

19. By Jzoully on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Do you happen to know why the Steelers let go of Max Starks? And Could we be in the running for the long-time tackle? Also nose tackle seems to be an issue, is there any rumor that we are going to bring in a new one, or go back to Gabe Watson? One more, Braylon Edwards is total domination, but wouldn’t it make more sense to sign the Giant wideout Steve Smith?

20. By Edwards on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I hope We can find a deal with Edwards soon

21. By Jzoully on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Another interesting fact is that Thomas Davis is still available. How is that possible? I believe that our top targets should be Max Starks, Braylon Edwards/Steve Smith (Which ever the Cards rate higher), Thomas Davis, and Aubrayo Franklin (Because he is so good I honestly believe he could teach “Big” Dan Williams). What do you think about this list of guys I think we should prioritize?

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: List

It still costs money to get all those guys. I don’t see them chasing so many. I see another WR and they need NT depth. That’s probably the priority.

23. By D-Dub on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

You think it’s possible that as long as Deuce trims down that he could move outside to RT? He played it very well at USC and I’m not very confident in our OT’s. If not maybe Ryan Harris, Max Starks, Ryan Diem, Nick Kasczur, Charlie Johnsons are possible?

24. By RED BIRD 66 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Any word on Edwards or Floyd deals. Hopefully we get another big WR to pull pressure of Fitz. What about a long shot on Moss if the attitude is gone. I though Plaxico would of been a good chance. With his size and out loose gun laws he would of fit right in and could of just wore his guns on his hips- LOL.

25. By cards62 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren overall I am very pleased and am looking forward to our season. I just wish we would have signed a good veteran OT and outside LB.

I think Peterson is the starter at CB game 1 and Toler or Marshall is the nickle.
    What can Cardinal fans tell me about RIchard Marshall to get me excited about his game.

To Shannon – What hurt Duece was Duece and nothing to do with free agency this year. Duece could not even pass the physical of the lowly Bengals who have about 2 criteria 1) currently out of prison. 2) Can run 100 yards in under 1 minute.
    I was a Duece fan but stated what shape he comes in this year will tell me everything about Duece as a football player. I got my answer. He loves cheeseburgers more than he loves football and he only plays for money and not the love of the game. What a lack of motivation he has to know this is his money year and he does what fails a physical by the Ben Gals! Russ Grimm and his piglets now have a pork chop – Floyd Womach and Bacon – Duece Lutui.
    I am over the Bacon.
    Go Cards keep signing and thanks for giving us something to root about in 2011

26. By MIKE G on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well!–Im sure you are busy keeping up with all these moves–this is a crazy year.
    Glad to see Peterson in- we need him especially with DRC gone. Nothing really shocks me anymore that given the NFL is a business– Were you surprised they traded Hightower?? I really like him and given Beanie’s injuries and a rookie coming in –we may be a little thin at RB. I know Tim has had fumble issues but his blocking is first rate and he is a class guy and a good football player!! He will be missed!! Your immediate thoughts on that move in particular???

27. By Amy on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Toler looked good at camp this past weekend. Fitz looked great! I am SO excited for this season and I am glad the Cards are being aggressive! GO CARDS!!!!!

28. By Jzoully on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

The salary cap must not be that big of an issue right? And wouldn’t we be interested in letting go of a veteran like Clark Haggans or Richard Bartell to upgrade the position?..(Like Jake Delhomme for Richard Bartell, or Thomas Davis for Clark Haggans, either way we have to get better in different positions) What do you think about upgrades in various spots? How much salary cap do we still have?

29. By Aaron on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

How realistic is that we land a Malcom Floyd or Steve Smith(NYG)?

30. By brad oneill on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway- ha ha ha ha ! at least you didnt play anything by the divinyls.

31. By Scott on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren~

With all the speculation about other guys still out there (ie Braylon Edwards, Lofa, etc) wouldn’t that mean they would have to start cutting players we have just signed. As of yesterday’s signings it looks like we currently have 92 players on our roster. (the website needs updating, but I follow pretty closely). I thought we couldn’t have more than 90.

32. By Wampag on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Any chance they go after Osi?

33. By D on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Wonder if we could get Matt Roth cheap this week? Doesn’t our front office guy come from the Browns?

34. By Rich on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Gotta give Bidwell, Graves, Whiz their due. Great job by the Cards! Glad I re-upped on season tix. Still a little concerned about depth at D Line (especially behind Williams). This could be a team that contends for a long time. I travel a lot, Cards are geeting much praise and attention on the national front and in other cities / regions.

35. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

D-Dub —

RE: Deuce at T

No, I don’t think Lutui can play anything but guard.

36. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Hightower trade

I am not surprised. His blocking wasn’t quite as good last season, and with how crowded the backfield was, it wasn’t shocking someone was dealt.

37. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Jazoully —

RE: Cap

The new focus is on Fitz. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Cards-Turn-Attention-To-Fitz-Contract/bbd8edee-b5cc-46ac-a2a7-5aeaca9b928a

38. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Scott —

RE: Roster size

They must be down to 90 on Thursday, the first day of the league year.

39. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Wampag —

RE: Osi

No, they won’t pursue that.

40. By Brian R. on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Deuce Lutui returned? I thought he went to the Bengals?

41. By Tbru on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Malcolm Floyd, This years Donovan McNabb. Let’s ask the same question about the same guy 1,000 times and make Mr Urban’s head explode. lol

42. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Brian R —

RE: Deuce

Comon, Brian R! Aren’t you reading the blog? http://blog.azcardinals.com/2011/07/31/hightower-traded-to-redskins-deuce-suddenly-returns/

43. By Eazy E on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Get Braylon already! Why are we worried about fitz right now when we need Braylon? Take care of Braylon and a couple other spots, then address Fitz will ya!