Deuce’s weighty issues

Posted by Darren Urban on August 2, 2011 – 1:06 pm

Guard Deuce Lutui is back. No one knows the numbers, but he is overweight. Clearly. And he’ll get one more chance from the Cardinals to show he can control that.

There were a couple of jokes from both coach Ken Whisenhunt — “We’ve talked a few times. And none of it was over a meal,” Whisenhunt deadpanned — and Lutui today, but Whisenhunt bluntly said the Cards are looking for Lutui to get his weight under control and quickly.

“It’s good to see Deuce and we are happy to have him back,” Whisenhunt said. “I see a commitment, but I have to see it over time. I made it very clear to him, the way he performs will be critical going forward. … If you have been in this game long enough, there are a lot of things you see that you just shake your head at. There are a number of talented players who didn’t reach their potential for a number of different reasons.

“Especially when you have a close relationship with someone like Deuce, it hurts when you see him not reach the potential you know is there.”

Lutui was gone. He had agreed to a two-year contract with the Bengals last week, but flunked his physical for being overweight.

(UPDATE: Kent Somers is reporting Deuce weighed 381 at the Cincy physical. Deuce weighed 396 last season when he came to camp. He was listed at 338 during last season.)

Suddenly, he was back on a one-year deal and, perhaps, a better understanding of the reality that seemed to irritate him the last couple of years — that the Cards wanted him to weigh less, and Lutui thinking he didn’t really have a problem. He had been looking forward to free agency, but the market wasn’t as promising as he thought. And now this.

“With this burden (of being big), this helps me,” Lutui said. “It checks my commitment. It’s a learning experience for me. … I rather go through this with the team here, and it’s a second chance to redeem myself. This will alter the way I play this season. It will elevate the way I think, the way I eat of course, and the way I play football.”

Lutui understands many people can’t fathom getting overweight when he had the potential to make millions in the free-agent market. No numbers came out, but he clearly would have made more on the Cincinnati deal than he will get in Arizona. “I know I left a lot there, but I see an opportunity … to nip the negatives about me and play football I am capable of playing.”

Lutui continues to insist “I can play heavy. But it’s not about that. It’s about the name of the game.”

Lutui said he had “no excuse” to be in this position but refuses to take it as a negative. He came back to Arizona “with a little awkwardness how I came back, but nevertheless I am walking tall. We acknowledge what has to be done.”

Lutui will have to battle quite a few other players on the interior now, although if he does get his weight under control, he would figure to be the leading candidate to be the right guard again, perhaps allowing Jeremy Bridges to play tackle in a battle with Brandon Keith. Short-term, however, this is a less about football and more about Lutui changing his life.

“We’re not going to have a lot of patience,” said Whisenhunt, who insisted he is not angry or upset at Lutui. “We have to see progress. It can’t be a yo-yo. It has to be consistent.

“It’s going to be ‘Show me.’ And I want to make it clear, we want that to happen.”

– I will have a story on TE Todd Heap’s arrival later, but man, the smile was just plastered on his face the whole time he was talking to us. Clearly, putting on the Cardinals’ hat and being a Card is a great thing for the Arizona native. He said as much too.

Tags: , ,

69 Responses to “Deuce’s weighty issues”

1. By ProSportsPhoenix on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

:( Poor Deuce, Arizona loves Deuce and Deuce loves Arizona. You can do it Deuce. :)

2. By Demond Howard on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Do you think there is a chance they would trade any of the other OL men now that he is back and possibly for real about getting his weight under control?

3. By brad oneill on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

i am a huge fan of Dueces and I really think he got a raw deal last year but he should have learned from that experience. he hurt himself and his team last year by missing the preseason with the first string. I blamed whiz for being a little to hard on the fat guy and i still do. but this year is all on Duece. i hope whiz doesn’t repeat last years mistake and not let the line gel properly. we all know Duece can and will get in cardinals shape but not letting the line gel over a weight issue is ridiculous. work the hell out of his fat ass and make him suffer for being such an idiot but dont hurt the rest of your team.

Duece we love you man!!!! welcome back.

4. By Lynn on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

What ever happened to Herman Johnson? Was he ever invited to camp by any team? I’d always hoped he would make it with us, giving size and insurance to the O line.

5. By Staff Sergeant TIm Roberts on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Alright Deuce, stick with it man!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work and drop some of that stuff! Its tough, but you did it before!! And its good to hear that Todd is feeling the Cardinals Love! We need him and what he will bring to the table for our team. I can’t wait to see our team in action!!!!!

6. By Jzoully on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Oh goodness Duece Lutui is a good interior lineman but he better step it up, we gotta keep Kevin Kolb upright. I honestly think Floyd “Pork Chop” Womack will be the solid starter we need.

7. By diehardfan on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

I hope Deuce is serious! IMO – he is one of those players that has great potential. He plays tough/mean football and his antics are always fun to watch. Some players (DRC included) don’t seem to understand the professionalism involved in the NFL. Coaches want to see dedication on and off the field. Nobody questions Deuce’s ability to play (or DRC), its his dedication and discipline. Lets get it together Deuce…we need you!!!

8. By cards>niners on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

darren,

I noticed that you commented about the probable decrease in interest in braylon edwards after his recent shenanigans, however, the cardinals still need a number 2 wide out to stretch the field so all of this offseason front office work is not wasted.

If Braylon is not the answer, who realistically would be? Thanks.

9. By mike Hadzinski on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

DAMN he is big his FACE HAS A FACE WTF HAPPENED

THESMEL WHAT DOES YOUR GRADE BOOK SAY NOW ABOUT HIM BEING A BLUE CHIPPER LOL WHAT A JOKE he will be cutt @ the end of camp unless he drops the weight within a month

10. By tom on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

does this dude have problems??? how does he not understand he needs to be at least near game weight when he comes to camp lol… this dude isnt a professional in my opinion… he doesnt deserve a big contract

11. By tom on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

darren,

i know you said you dont put up pressers often but are you gonna pput up the heap one? to me that one classifies as special seeing as weve never had a great te and heaps a local guy! do it for us ASU alums lol…

12. By PCF on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

You can do it Deuce!!!!

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Demond —

RE: OL trade

We are a long way from Deuce locking up a roster spot.

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Lynn —

RE: Herman Johnson

He went to the Bears late in the season, was just cut and the Giants picked him out.

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Cards> —

RE: WR

I’m still not sold they will add a WR.

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Tom —

RE: Heap presser

Way ahead of you. We will put up “big” pressers, and that one counts.

17. By Nick Pepe on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

He certainly sounds humbled and I hope it affects his work ethic in a positive way. No Big Macs !!!!
    good to see some original questions on the board !!!

Nick Pepe

18. By Jzoully on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Are you sold on Brandon Keith/Jeremy Bridges? Aren’t there any offensive lineman available that fit the Cardinals mold?

19. By Dean Kennedy on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

The guy shows up fat and out of shape every year and seems puzzled as to why he can’t get what he “deserves”, namely a long-term deal.

Go figure.

20. By Jzoully on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Also Darren,
    Braylon Edwards is good…In your opinion, if the Cardinals are going to sign a wideout what is taking so long to do so?

21. By John on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

what are the Cardinals doing for nose tackle? I have heard about Branch and Watson leaving to other teams, but where does that leave the Cards?

22. By Jzoully on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

WORSE NEWS, Zach Miller of Oakland Raiders signed with division rival Seattle Seahawks. What do the Cardinals need to do to compete with division rival Seattle Seahawks and St. Louis Rams.

23. By Joe on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Hey D I heard beanie has been looking good and i know we drafted williams but beanie and LSH would complement each other well.. I hope whiz wants to get larod more involved in our offense.

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: Tackles

Doesn’t matter if I am sold on them. The coaches are ready to use them (and I think Bridges could get in the mix too).

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: WR

I don’t think it’s a lock they sign a WR. I think they will look at what they have. And if an Edwards, for instance, falls into their lap at the right price, they’ll do it. But they aren’t yearning for another WR.

26. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

John —

RE: Backup NT

That’s a good question. Whisenhunt said today he likes some young talent, although they are unknowns.

27. By CJ on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

it would really be awesome and a good heartfelt story if he got his weight under control and had a pro bowl season and then signed an extension with us

28. By Nick Pepe on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

WIP Philadelphia just reported that the Cards have signed Braylon Edwards to a one year deal. Warning this is Howard Eskin and WiP we are talking about. Don’t kill me if false!!!

29. By Jzoully on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Alright Darren,
    Man a flutter of moves are still in my mind, and considering that we have at least $15M Cap, we must make a move…I moved my words to twitter asking linebacker Thomas Davis, offensive tackle Max Starks, and Braylon Edwards to consider the Cardinals…Hope my prayers are answered.

30. By Tbru on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

So why does Arizona have lower standards than Cincinnati? I would almost think there would be a league standard.

Welcome back Deuce, Now prove we made the right decision.

31. By ScottMcE81 on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

I cant stand deuce clearly he’s lazy. I was very happy when we got rid of him but that was short lived

32. By cards62 on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

I smell BACON and pork chops! Go Piglets!

Great news is 49ers lost A. Franklin their $ 7 million nose tackle, bad news is he is not a Cardinal but a Saint. Wish he was a Cardinal but glad he is out of the division.

Seahawks are making some good pick-ups I am just glad they did not get a good QB like Orton or Palmer.

Do I have any members ready to join my Todd Heap Fan Club? As you know I have been asking, begging, offering to kidnap a TE for the Cardinals for many years now.

Glad he has a relationship with Larry and I sure hope the WR from SanDiego, Malcolm Floyd, or the NYG, Steve Smith also have a relationship with Larry as it seems to help get players on our team.

Go Cards

33. By Joe Holst on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

lost gabe watson to giants, got to give respect to anyone on 2009 superbowl team..

34. By azcards24 on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

THE BENGALS DROPPED A DEUCE RIGHT ON US CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. By Chuck on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren,any chance the Cardinals will try to sign ex-Viking Bryant McKinnie? This seems like it would improve our O-line a great deal.

36. By John the draft guy on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Interesting, we could have Deuce and Pork Chop manning the right side of the line this year. Man that is a buffet owners worst nightmare.

37. By Eazy E on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

What is there to talk about at WR behind Fitz? Andre is a 2nd year player and just because he had a couple catches don’t make him Great. Early is injury prone, I like him but he is until he can stay healthy, really not his fault but still that is what he is right now. Max and Stephen are undrafted 2nd year guys. Sampson is a 7th round pick. Braylon would make our WR core SO MUCH BETTER and him and Fitz as a duo is definitely one of the best in the league. God forbid Fitz going down, then we have NO WRs, it would be a joke out there. Get Braylon for goodness sakes. I think all the cardinals fans will go crazy if it doesn’t happen because we pretty much were the favorites to get him. Even the players want him, sign the man and pay him sheesh!

38. By Eazy E on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

We NEED a WR named Braylon Edwards!

39. By NJAzCardsFan on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

How is Deuce going to lose all of that weight in a month???

I think Floyd would be a better pick up than Edwards.

Darren- How do they coaches judge a player ability in such a short time? And with so many players on the roster???

40. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Braylon

Edwards has not signed.

41. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Chuck —

RE: McKinnie

Don’t see it, given his reputation.

42. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

NJaz —

RE: Short time to judge

That’s a great question. That’s why not having the offseason hurts so much.

43. By Carlo7000 on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren could you tell me if is true that daryl Washington looks bigger??How much they weight Now Washington
    . And schofield?

44. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Looking at that Lutui photo, I’m thinking a tank top/basketball jersey is not a good look for a man that size. Looks like he’s put on about 180 lbs.
    Speaking of which, the Cards haven’t signed or seen CB Trumaine McBride.

Coincidence???????

45. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Carlo7000 —

RE: OB/Washington weight

Plan on writing about it tomorrow.

46. By Scott H on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Ya know, I hate to be in-sensitive but this guy needs to get his butt together. Honestly…if he wants to be a football player and have a career in the NFL, than he needs to get his act ( and his buttt ) in gear and do what HE needs to do. It’s on him. It’s not on the Cardinals to make sure he has a job after another team turns him away for not passing a physical. C’mon, man, we got other things to worry about.

47. By azcards24 on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

hey darren sorry to add to pestering WR questions, but has steve smith come up at all or is he pulling the same $ demands as floyd. heard nothing anywhere about teams lookin at him or what he’s demanding? thanx

48. By rdixon50 on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

CJ – I also want Deuce to go to the Pro Bowl and sign a long term deal with the Cards – with weight stipulations.

49. By cactus jeff on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Do you anticipate any interesting WRs cut on Aug 4th by other teams to get under the salary cap?

50. By Skiptim on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

If Kolb officially signed his new contract Tuesday, why wasn’t he able to practice Monday and prior?

51. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

azcards24 —

RE: WR

Again, they are looking at Fitz. All these guys on the market are waiting for paydays they probably won’t get. Will I be surprised if they end up with an Edwards or Floyd in the end? No. But again, it will be on their terms.

52. By James on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, since you seem to be asked by at least one person if the Cards are interested in any player that is released, a free agent, or just doesnt have a contract. I have a few to ask about. You think we ma go after Jerry Rice, Ed Too Tall Jones, Conrad Dobler, Barry Sanders or Bruce Smith? They havent signed with a team yet this year. Lol. Keep up the good work of keeping us informed as best you can. It’s much appreciated.

53. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Cactus —

RE: WR cuts

Not that I know of.

54. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Skiptim —

RE: Kolb contract

Still doesn’t kick in until Thursday.

55. By Skiptim on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

I know, but I mean wouldn’t he have been able to play before he signed the new contract since he was on one that was already existing and would have allowed him to practice? I get that he can’t now that he signed a new one, but shouldn’t he have been able to practice before he was signed to a new contract that restricts him from practicing?

56. By In fitz we trust on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

i dunno lol, weight has been an issue for duece over the past couple years. I would be suprised if he makes weight before the season opener. guess we will see if he makes the best offensive line in the nfl lol had to throw that in.

57. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Skiptim —

RE: Contract

One of the reasons they didn’t wait on a deal was because, from Kolb’s perspective, huge risk. If he practices before he signs his new deal and blows out a knee or whatever, he’s SOL. Wasn’t going to happen.

58. By Lemunade on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Lucky cards for getting a caliber player like Deuce back! His weight has only been an issue for the past two years. Because it doesn’t make any sense why he has been a starter since his rookie year! And that has been 5 years now! The cards made a lot of good moves, but at the end of the season? Who knows if they can lock them down long term! We signed colledge who was a second string for the packers??? Good deal for him! Deuce is hands down, the best o-linemen in the nfc west division!

59. By Lemunade on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

At the end of the day after all the bs going on in the media and what whizz thinks? Deuce is gonna start once again! Even Rus Grim knows that!

60. By Deborah on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Duece, Welcome to Arizona!!! We love you and can’t wait to see you in action!!!
    We know you can do it!!!!

61. By Fan on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

So for the season the Cardinals got Kolb and Pork Chop, got a Heap more and now they dropped a Duece.

62. By Rhonda on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Getting eating habits under control and maintaining them takes a daily commitment. It’s not as easy as some people want to believe. When you quit smoking, drinking or drugs, you don’t sit down with them at a table and say, ‘ll only have this much and then stop. That would be suicide. But, that’s what you have to do with food.

63. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Lemunade/papapiko —

RE: Deuce

Quite frankly, I’m surprised you are still coming to the site considering the way you ripped the team when Deuce signed with the Bengals.

64. By pipapiko on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Deuce never signed with the bengals it was all a smoke! You and I know the truth and that is Deuce will start come opening day! I ripped the organization for not being able to lock players down. Breaston, and in the past rolle, Q, and the list goes on. I told you last year that reggie would get either traded or cut? And what happened? Exactly! After going to the big game (superbowl) you want to position yourself to make every post season each year. Not superbowl, 2nd rnd playoffs, then a horribly season reminding me of the cards of old! The cards made a lot of moves, but all will unfold when the season gets cracking. Even Kurt warner said not to pursue kolb! The kid hasn’t proven himself! This is a legend speaking now! And I bet y’ll forgot about kolb’s concussion track record too! All kolb was known for was losing his job to vick!

65. By pipapiko on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren your my hero!

2. Aug 15, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogConditioning Deuce, and after practice «
  3. Feb 27, 2012: Word From the Birds BlogWhither Deuce? «