• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Waiting on CBA, and other notes

Posted by Darren Urban on August 3, 2011 – 12:44 pm

Everyone has been waiting for Thursday, because practice  begins for all the players who just signed contracts.

Probably.

The Thursday deadline was based on the idea the new collective bargaining agreement would be ratified. It has not been yet.

“Everybody wants to get out there and everyone is chomping at the bit,” said kicker Jay Feely, the Cardinals’ union representative. “No one wants to sit on the sidelines. But they can’t get out there until it is done. We’ve been shooting for tomorrow all along and as of (Tuesday) I was still being told it would be tomorrow hopefully. But we don’t have anything definitive yet.”

There were issues left that couldn’t be bargained until the union recertified, like drug policies, benefits and player conduct policies. That is what is still being dealt with. One thing is for certain — no one wants to wait.

– Rookie CB Patrick Peterson is changing his jersey number to 21, with safety Hamza Abdullah switching from 21 to 23. A couple other holdovers are also switching, with WR Max Komar going from 18 to 10 and Stephen Williams from 14 to 18.

– Coach Ken Whisenhunt said he doesn’t questions the toughness of RB Beanie Wells. But when it came to dealing with the knee injury last season and the aftereffects, “quite frankly, he didn’t handle it as well as he could have.”

– I know a lot of people keep asking about the backup nose tackle behind Dan Williams. Having looked at new defensive lineman Nick Eason, he definitely could fill in at the spot if needed. He’s a wide-body. And again, rookie David Carter is taking snaps there.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

55 Responses to “Waiting on CBA, and other notes”

1. By alex on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

hey darren, any word on when single game tickets go on sale?

2. By Trevor on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Random question but how is Dray looking? look like he is going to beat out for that (expected) 4th spot on the TE roster? still lack-luster or is he looking good?

3. By AZCoyotes on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Get it done so we can get these guys into practice. Pumped for the new season.

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Alex –

RE: Single game seats

Nothing has been announced, and I have heard nothing.

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Trevor –

RE: Dray

To be honest, it’s too early to tell.

6. By Dylan on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren

How come i see chad ocho and albert haynesworth practicing all over espn? i thought any one that signed a new contract isn allowed to practice with the new team?

7. By George on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren…whats the training came schedule supposed to be like this weekend? I am wondering about the intrasquad scrimmage. ANy info is appreciated. And keep up the posts, come back to the site almost hourly for updates, helps me get through the tedious workday.

8. By John on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren,If edwards is going to be visiting SF, will he then come to phx to also talk? It seems likely due to him being on the west coast?

thanks!

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

George –

RE: Camp schedule

It’s on the home page, above the centerpiece as a “hot topic”

Here too: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Cards-Release-Camp-Schedule/3af7a67f-e090-4fa8-9c80-8b060297d8c2

10. By John the draft guy on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I know this is a hard question to answer but if the Cards pull out of the Floyd/Edwards run, how are they going to spend the 99% they need to.
    I think this is the first year ever that I could say we don’t need to spend anymore money, yet we have to. It’s almost a given they need to sign one of those WR guys for a one year deal. Looks like they are happy at O-Line, TE is done, QB and RB done. There isn’t any passrushers worth bring in (short of a trade). If Eason can play NT also, D-Line is done. Bradley shored up the ILB spot, so thats done. And finally CB and Safety seems done.So besides Fitz and a WR, where else could the money go? Any thoughts there?

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

John –

RE: Edwards visit

Don’t expect an Az visit. And the more I am hearing about his off-field stuff, the less I like the possibility.

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy –

RE: 99 percent

First of all, that’s a misnomer. I don’t know all the details but I’m thinking it needs to be clarified for everyone. Second, don’t underestimate the cap space to be spent on Fitz.

13. By John the draft guy on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Besides Kolb, who has the most pressure on them in 2011;

1. Patrick Peterson- If he is anything short of Ronnie Lott, some won’t be happy.

2. Beanie Wells- Needs to show he is worthy to be “the guy”

3. O’Brian Schofield- Needs to step up and give us a passrush.

4. Ray Horton- So much is already expected of him.

5. Levi Brown- Year 2 at LT has to be better than year 1

6. Todd Heap- ASU guy coming home might have too high of expectations.

7. Coach Whiz- Felt some fans turn on him last year and again in the offseason, Can’t afford to miss with Peterson and Kolb. (I think he is a very solid Coach)

Darren, what do you think? I think it’s got to Ray Horton. So many fans think he is the savior of the defense, and maybe he is. But players still have to play.

14. By Earl BB on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I have a question Darren, the team President and everyone seems to be tallking as if they are done with all of their moves, do you see them still chasing anyone right now or will we wait to see what happens in pre-season, with regards to another wide out .

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy –

RE: Horton

For exactly that reason, I don’t say Horton. Until they find/get a dynamic pass rusher (hopefully it’s going to be Schofield) it’ll be tough to blame Horton.
    For me, it’s Kolb No. 1,2,3. After that, probably Beanie.

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Earl BB –

RE: Moves

I don’t think they are trying to chase anyone at this point. I expect perhaps more moves later in camp but for now, they will probably go with what they have.

17. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

John.
    The way I understand the minimum salary cap spending (according to Florio) is that each team’s percentage doesn’t count until 2013. This season, the TOTAL of ALL teams must be near the 120 million x 32, minus the 6 mil bonus for veteran re-signings.
    Darren, am I even close?

18. By Firemagoo on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Cap? Not making sense to me with the 99% thing. What about players with performance/pro-bowl bonuses that could conceivably put you over the cap? Is it 99%at or must spend 80% but 99% of the 80p must be in cash and not fake cap numbers. Just seems a little confusing. 20M bonus to fitz this year sounds good as it opens up a ton of cap relief in later years=more talent coming in

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Cap rules

I wish I knew.

20. By Jesse Robles on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

As a Cardinal Fan I apologize for all of the same repetitive questions, with the same repetitive answers. But I am a season ticket holder and I am picking my seats on Monday, and I have friends who chose theirs this week as well. Season ticket holders obviously get their tickets before single game tickets go on sale. I would possibly think maybe the end of next week, or the Monday of our first Pre Season game. We don’t have a home game until August 27th. I understand this season is “different,” but it will obviously go in the same order as any other season. Just a little info from me, hopefully it helps relieve some.

21. By Jzoully on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Is it true that Malcomn Floyd is under our radar? (Because Braylon Edwards went to San Fran)

22. By jocards on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

As far as who is under the most pressure to perform in 2011 to me it’s Kolb….Big surprise, it’s always the QB but in our case it is even more magnified. It took a big trade to land him and our QB play was simply awful last season. If Kolb performs well everybody looks better. If we didn’t already know it we sure learned last season that inconsistent QB play makes a team look bad on both sides of the ball.

23. By John on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I know this might be stupid to ask but have you heard if any team is interested in tiki barber?

24. By VoiceofReason on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I think the Cards should up the offer to get Braylon Edwards. Offer up three years, $10 million, $5 guaranteed in a signing — not roster — bonus (so the cap hit is small). If he’s a distraction in the first year, you cut him after one year and only deal with a very manageable cap hit.

But I think his addition (and, incidentally, him NOT being on the 49ers) would make a HUGE difference in this offense.

25. By cards>niners on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Im sick of hearing about braylon edwards off field incidents preventing him from getting any realistic looks.. a 1 year contract would be a great risk to take… long term is obviously out of the question because down the line his off the field actions could no longer be condoned… kolb won’t be very effective if fitz is triple teamed all game.

26. By brad oneill on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

john the draft guy-

wow you are way to negative with that list.

hands down Kolb is under the most pressure ever applied to a cardinal. not only is he expected to step in and instantly make us a contender but he cost us one of the best corners in the league which will make it easier for opponents to score against us and make his job that much harder. and if he fails there is a chance we lose our best wide receiver ever.

Patrick Peterson is a rookie we all hope he is the next aneas williams but few of us are expecting that this year. if he competes and works hard and we see him improving steadily he will be fine.

Beanie wells was hurt last year, we all know he is a beast and he has something to prove. the pressure on him is definitely there but he will not be hated like kolb if things dont go his way.

Obrian schofield- is almost a secret weapon. i know it is getting out that the man has unbelievable skills but don’t underestimate a guy that created a turnover in one of his first games on special teams after battling back from an injury that probably should have kept him out the whole year.

Ray Horton- new coordinator in shortened off season. i dont see any pressure yet. if things come apart and don’t seem to be improving he will feel heat but I suspect he has a long leash with others as he does with me.

Levi brown- Most fans have almost given up on him. He is playing for his career this year. that is some serious pressure but kolb and others are where the spot light is right now.

todd heap is home, He is one of the greatest tight ends to ever play the game. he looked genuinely happy to be here and I think his goals are far less modest than he let on. this guy is going for the lombardi trophy, i see that as healthy internal pressure not something to be worried about.

coach whiz is a great coach, he made some arrogant mistakes last year. it can be excused because a man that takes the joke of the league and turns it into a contender deserves. if he loses this gig I guarantee he will be employed in short order as head coach of another team. the pressure to succeed will not come from up top. whiz loves the fans, he is humble on camera and is gracious. this will buy him more time than someone like say buddy ryan.

i think you should probably include Adrian wilson on your list as he definitely did not play up to his or the coaches standards last year. I think he had to take it personally the way he was picked on through the air. I feel bad for opposing qbs this year as horton will utilize Wilson’s strengths and those tend to be on the leave the qb buried in a cloud of dust variety.

Heap is a warrior who not only is home but he is playing with a new purpose.

27. By Scott H on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Being reported on NFL.com right now that Malcom Floyd is close to deciding which team he will play for this year. Per the report, the Cardinals are in the running but so are several other teams. If they are cooling on the Braylon Edwards thing because of his off-field issues, then I certainly hope they are in it to win it with Floyd. He and Edwards are really the only impact WR’s I see still available at this point. They NEED to get one of them ( don’t care which ) to have any hope of keeping Fitzgerald from being smothered by opposing defenses. No one else on this roster is going to do that.

28. By Brian R. on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren.. I know this is irrelevant.. but whats the news on Dan Williams? Will he be starting this year?

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Brian R –

RE: Dan Williams

yes, he is starting

30. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

John –

RE: Tiki Barber

I heard he was getting a tryout with Dolphins.

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully –

RE: Floyd

They aren’t pursuing him per se, but they are keeping tabs on him. Certainly nothing for sure.

32. By brad oneill on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

how long before derek anderson fades as one of the bigger tags?

33. By John the draft guy on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Brad Oneill;
    Didn’t make the list to be negative. Just asking the question.

For PP, you have to remember, many in the draft think he is a safety not a CB. Couple that with the fact we traded DRC and I think Mr Peterson is noticing all eyes are on him.

Beanie has talent but has not shown really anything yet. You can’t be a beast on the sideline. He needs to show he can be healthy and perform.

I’m a fan of Obrian Schofield. I hope he breaks out. But with poor play out of Porter and Haggins, we must have him step up this year.

Levi Brown can’t live down his connection to AP. His first year to the left side had Leonard Davis all over it. I believe in him and expect him to step up this year but fans love to blame him for all the blocking problems.

Todd Heap- you said it. “He’s one of the greatest TE’s and he is going to the superbowl.” I can’t believe the cards pulled this signing off and he is solid. But he can’t walk on water. Playing in front of home is sometimes the hardest thing to do.

For the coaches, I love Whiz and think he is solid. But face it, a lot of people on this board was calling for his head. If we go 0-3….. I’m just saying he has to know that. As for Horton, again this board thinks all our defensive problems disappeared with the signing. As Darren said, we still need a passrush. Tough to come in and fix things quickly. But since 2007, how many D-coordinators have we had? Exactly.
    That’s why I pick Horton. I’m not saying a slow start is his fault, I just think he will be crucified.

As a season ticket holder for 20 years, I love the cards and hope each guy out performs their expectations.

34. By Chuck 1 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

For those of you who are adamant that the Cards should sign Braylon Edwards, how about this? Do Michael, Graves and Whiz really want this type of player on the roster?????????????

35. By 85301 fan on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

RYAN WILLIAMS WILL B THE STEAL OF THE DRAFT I CANT WAIT TO SEE HIM IN THE 2011 SEASON,AND R RUNNING GAME IS GOING TO B IN THE TOP 10 IF BENNIE CAN STAY HEALTHY?CANT WAIT

36. By azcards24 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

darren thanx for answering the same questions over and over and over just in case no one says it

37. By Blake on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I’ve seen that the 49ers are interested in Braylon Edwards as well, since Michael Crabtree is still out with a foot injury. If it turns into a bidding war between the Cardinals and our main rival, do you think the Cards will want to pay up to make sure that their rivals don’t gain a leg up??

Also, are there receivers besides Edwards or Floyd or possibly pass rushers that the Cardinals are looking at signing that aren’t being talked about right now, especially at WR??

38. By gmabel830 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Here is my understanding on the cap situation (again this is per Florio/PFT, like the other poster). It is still not 100% clear, and I don’t pretend to know as much as Urban, but here is how I understand it:

The rule is that teams must pay out at least 99% of the salary cap in CASH to players this year. A guy’s cap number is not equal to the amount of cash you are paying him. For instance, if you sign someone to a 5 year/50 mil contract with 10 mil signing bonus, you can allocate that signing bonus over multiple years for cap purposes but you are paying that whole signing bonus + his annual salary this year. So, you are actually paying him more cash this year than his cap number hit this year. Hence, we can hit the 99% spending rule without necessarily spending 99% of our salary cap this year.

They didn’t do a great job of explaining/communicating this and I think 95% of people in the know expect their team must essentially hit the salary cap ceiling this year.

39. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Blake –

RE: Edwards

As I have said many times, they will not get in a bidding war.

40. By Eazy E on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Why wouldn’t they get in a bidding war for a #1 pro bowl wide receiver. Braylon deserves a big money deal. Sorry if Braylon can’t be ”perfect” like the people talking negative about him. People criticizing Braylon are a joke, those same people have made many mistakes, but the only difference between them and Braylon is nobody cares about their mistakes but they care about Braylons’ and criticizes him for his like they haven’t done anything wrong in they’re entire life #Losers We badly need Braylon because Breaston left and Andre or anybody else currently on our roster at WR ain’t gonna replace that production, huge downgrade. Pay up Cardinals, being a cardinals fan is tough. At one moment, it looks like their spending to get a good product on the field, and the next, they’re being the same OLD cardinals being cheap and not paying for excellent players. Get Braylon Edwards in a Cardinals uniform NOW!!!

41. By Eazy E on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Also, if you have so many ”problems” or ”issues” or ”concerns” with Braylon getting in trouble, and that most recent news with Braylon was people in his entourage, not Braylon, put it in his contract, that is as simple as abc 1,2,3, c’mon cardinals, please tell me your better than that.

42. By Thomas77 on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I don’t mean to rehash an old subject, and probably something that has already been answered. But in light of the still vacant WR2 spot and the debate of who is better for the Cardinals, Edwards or Floyd; I have a question.

Why didn’t we just keep Breaston? Breaston knows our system, and could stretch the field. He was a very good #2 and I doubt he would be going for more money than Edwards or Floyd. I’m just not sure why we let him go.

43. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Eazy E –

RE: Mistakes

I have made my share of mistakes, sure. But I’ve never been in a bar fight and I have certainly never been in a situation where people were getting stabbed.

44. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Thomas77 –

RE: Breaston

I think there is a chance Edwards or Floyd could end up cheaper. Also the Cards were concerned about injuries, Breaston’s knees and their long-term future.

45. By Kaleb on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

DARREN-

I gotta know, what is the deal with all the players cruising around the practice field on tricked out segways. Im all for it i just want to know if there is some explanation for this.

46. By MIKE G on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is good! Nice write up on Beanie the other day. I think he is vital to take the heat off Kolb. We need 800-1000 from Beanie on the ground this year. Team chemistry will be super important for the Card’s this year with so many new faces on the roster. How many different faces do you see on the Card’s roster when all is said and done??? You might see as many as 25 new players from last year???
    Crazy???

47. By Chuck 1 on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Easy E, you don’t show good common sense to want the Cards to sign Edwards.
    There’s a difference between being “perfect” and being a chronic troublemaker.
    What good would it do to have him on the roster when he could quite likely be suspended for who-knows-how-many games?
    Why would anyone want a cancer in the locker room?

48. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Kaleb –

RE: Segways

Some of the key players just got into a few years ago. Fitz, Dockett, Wilson, Rhodes.

49. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Roster

They wanted an overhaul. They got it.

50. By joe67 on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

re: Pressure on Kolb, Heap, Beanie.

None of these guys will have a good year if the O-line doesn’t come thru. “It all starts up front”, as everyone knows. The best RB, QB and receiver in the world can only do so much if they are not blocked for and protected. I think there is plenty of talent there with those three, and others, so to me, the real pressure is on the O-line. Anyone disagree?

51. By Scott H on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Ya know…I’m just trying not to give myself high blood pressure at this point with this WR situation. I’m sure the Cardinals are weighing all the pros and cons with Edwards and I know that is the sensible thing to do. But…geez, we NEED a WR like this as a complement to Fitz to make this offense go. And in regard to a “bidding war”…I don’tlike the sound of that because – unfortunately – that is not a war that the Cardinals are not likely to win.

NFL players are not model citizens. I think we all know that. It’s great to have high character guys like Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald. But you can’t expect to have a roster full of perfect citizens. It appears that Edwards put himself around the wrong people and in a bad situation. And, yes, it appears he was involved in the fighting part of what happened. Well…hate to say it, but this seems to happen quite often with today’s players. They are prone to this kind of bad judgement. But some of these same players can also be leaders and great teammates. I cite Ben Rothelisberger and Michael Vick as examples. They have had their issues but their teams have stuck with them and – especially in the case of Vick – they are respected as leaders and teammates. My point is that sometimes, teams just have to roll the dice with guys like this. Bottom line – if the NFL isn’t taking action to suspend Braylon Edwards, then he must be acceptable per their standards. And if the NFL is OK with him, then I see no reason why the Cardinals shouldn’t be OK with him, too.

Ya know, I remember Joey Porter getting himself in trouble right after he signed with the Cardinals last year and I don’t think that was his first time for that…but he’s still here and people seem to be OK with that.

52. By John the draft guy on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Joe67
    I would agree with that assessment. I hope we did enough to solidify it.

53. By Scott H on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Well, so much for the blood pressure thing! We didn’t get Edwards, he went to a division rival instead, and now it looks like we ain’t gettin’ Malcom Floyd either. Ugh. Really, REALLY poorly played by this team in regard to the WR position. And it could have ALL been avoided if they just kept the guy that was here already. That created a hole that remains un-filled. Un-friggin-believable.

54. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: WR

The problem here is you are getting riled up when your expectations were out of whack. They do not think the have to have a No. 2. YOU do, but they don’t. That’s a recipe for a heart attack.

55. By John the draft guy on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Good point Darren.

I think of the cowboys of the 90s. Great running game, a star wr and a very good TE. Harper, their #2 was average at best. If the cards can pound the ball a little, Roberts, Doucet, Stuckey and crew will get the job done. I heard Miller talking about wanting toughness out of the other wr so he can come in and block the safety in the box. Stuckey fits that bill.
    I dont think the cards messed up at all.