• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.

Not the fourth time, but the first

Posted by Darren Urban on August 5, 2011 – 12:23 pm

Here is the reality of camp: The Cardinals walked through their two-minute offense at the end of the morning workout, because they are going to work on the two-minute offense this afternoon at practice and coach Ken Whisenhunt realized they had yet to go over it on the field. Whiz wanted to make sure they went through the concept before trying it at full speed. In a normal year, with a normal offseason, this would be the fourth time the offense would have been going over the two-minute offense.

– Whisenhunt said there is an “ebb and flow” to practice right now, between the good and bad. It’s to be expected, and it’ll make that first preseason game in Oakland next week interesting to say the least.

– Asked about the No. 2 receiver job, Whisenhunt not only praised Andre Roberts but also mentioned holdovers like Early Doucet, Chansi Stuckey, Stephen Williams and Max Komar as players that continue to show signs of progress.

– RT Brandon Keith said he is still getting comfortable with football moves after his surgery last season to repair a bad knee and a torn hamstring. He was back training at his old high school and his college, Northern Iowa, in the offseason. “I’m 90, 95 percent right now,” Keith said, and feels confident about his ability to take another step forward this season. He knows he has yet to prove himself, but he felt he was playing much better when he got hurt in mid-November.

– Kent Somers reports the Cards don’t have interest in FA DE/LB Matt Roth. And heads up, WR Malcom Floyd went back to San Diego.

– For those asking, here is a picture of Fitz’s one-handed TD grab past Patrick Peterson, courtesy of fan Alex Lowry.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

57 Responses to “Not the fourth time, but the first”

1. By andrew on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Pretty good picture to be done by a fan

2. By theuglitruth on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Housler can add to the WR depth, he’s fast enough and has a pretty decent catch radius. He worked the slot in the spread offense in college as well.

3. By John on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

So I guess no new wide receivers? If so then any nose tackles?

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

John –

RE: NTs

Not that I have heard.

5. By Carlo7000 on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren could you tell me the weight of daryl Washington and ob shofield???

6. By uncharacteristicAZ on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Whiz has already implied that he is happy with some of his depth’s ability to sub in and play NT in order to spell Dan Williams.

7. By Keegan on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Looks like every team is pretty far behind, I guess it’ll be a sloppy first couple of weeks for everyone

8. By cards62 on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Red verses Red & White wow I think that would be hard on the QBs. I think I would go all white, (too hot for all black).

No one go crazy on PP okay as I am sure Fitz burned DRC a few times in practice last year to, or at least he would have if we had a QB. So good to have a QB very important to a football team I think.

Dearest Rod Graves please land us best available OT so we can protect our 60 million dollar man.

Go Cards

9. By Andrew on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren

I saw on twitter that someone asked for the one handed catch by Fitz and you said you didn’t catch it on video.

This was uploaded last night, so if anybody asks for it you can send them here.

The catch starts around the 33 second mark.

10. By John the draft guy on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Throw it where only the WR can get it. And when it comes to Fitz, he will get it. Great picture.

Thank God no Matt Roth. Porter and Haggins are much better than his 3.5 sacks and I’d much rather see Acho and Schofield taking snaps than Roth rotating in. As for Floyd, we really don’t need him. We are fine at WR.

As for NT, we may have seen our first example of adding another big body in practice. Could use someone like Clifton Ryan to anchor in with Williams on short yardage. I understand that Carter has impressed and Nick Eason can play nose, but both are better suited for end.

Man is there depth this year. There will be some real competition to just get on the practice squad. I liked the pickups of OLineman Kris O’dowd and DJ Young. Darren, does either one of the guys have a shot for even the PS?

11. By mad4az on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren, Brandon keiths injury status should give the cards something to worry about thats why i can’t understand why we don’t take a flier on jared gaither? i know he’s coming off an injury also but bringing him in 4 a check out can’t hurt? it’ll probably only take a 1yr deal and if he fails the physical we just can release him like the bengals did deuce. if and when healthy gaither is better than brown and keith. whats your take on this? thanks

12. By John the draft guy on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

OLB’s- first, do you think they keep 4 or 5? Second, I’m only counting 5 on the roster. Davis, Porter, Haggens, Schofield, and Acho. Is there some camp guys also or are they just getting the young guys extra work?

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Carlo –

RE: Weights

About 230 and about 250.

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy –

RE: UDFA OL

Way too early to tell on that. I would be surprised if there wasn’t an OL on the practice squad though. Who it would be? No idea.

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Mad4az –

RE: gaither

For all I know they did check him out and he has injury concerns. Again, Keith is healthy, he just needs to get back into playing shape — but that’s a lot of these guys.

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy –

RE: OLB

I could see them keeping five, given some of the youth. There are camp guys too. Just don’t know how this will shake out right now.

17. By Christo on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

When are they on?

Are we really happy at OL, DL, and WR?

18. By tom on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

well the cards choked!!!! now seattle and sf have better weapons than we do… cards needed to go get floyd or edwards and they choked and couldnt finish an amazing free agency… what a joke im actually mad about this. our young guys are nice whatever but we need a legit wr next to fitz and then to let him go to sf and not even get floyd when hes asking for so little! i mean come on!

19. By cardinalchris on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

OMG Thanks for the video. That’s going to be awesome to watch this year. That’s unstoppable. Saw some video of PP working as a gunner. Not sure who was trying to block him, but they were looking at the back of his jersey god awful quick.

Is Bradley more likely to take over for Paris or Washington? What’s depth chart at LB look like?

20. By cards>niners on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

we need to get fitz’s extension done before the first game on thursday or it isn’t going to get done until next year.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Cardinalchris –

RE: ILB

I see Bradley and Washington starting, and Lenon rotating for both.

22. By modavaysean on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

I think our roster is fine . Andre Roberts looks to have done his home work and will be a solid #2 . After we resign Fitz we will probably be close to the cap . Saving that cap space incase we have a player injured and need to go find a FA replacement in the middle of the season is not a bad idea . Urban has Robinson desided to retire or not yet ?

23. By Dave on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

@tom Yep you got it man, we did jack all offseason. We didn’t add any TEs with big names or anything…Our offense is in shambles. I mean we only drafted the most hyped quarterback in the FA but we choked…

24. By cactus jeff on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Regarding the WRs, the Packers have 6 potential # 2 receivers, be patient they have to release 1 (Swain is really good). They need DL or OT. Dan Williams is a bust and they will have to address NT. Schofield will be a stud.

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

modvay –

RE: Robinson

I’ve seen no official announcement.

26. By drummer-1 on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Some fans need to relax a little, there’s still plenty of time to add a WR if need be.. players get released all the time during pre-season another WR will come available, lets be patient and see what happens, besides the WR we have will never get better if we don’t give them a chance..

27. By Tx Cards fan on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

I’m still nervous about Tackle. The last two posts you have confirm why I feel that way. Half of the story about Brown (“Brown trying to find it”) is how he made strides off the field and the other half is Whis covering for a 5 year Pro draft # 5 overall and him admitting he hasn’t played up to what he could or should. Then the note about Keith “I’m 90, 95 percent right now.” Wow the first preseason game is knocking on the door and the projected starting right tackle is not 100%. I am not a GM or Coach and I’m not saying they can’t produce and help the team this year but I don’t see how you can’t add a Tackle for some depth.
    PS Pork Chop doesn’t count he’s a guard.

28. By Jzoully on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

cactus jeff –
    Dude I like your philosophy of the wide reciever situation in green bay but as far as to say Dan Williams is a bust, that’s too far man…He is an exciting player to watch who takes up a few blockers as needed. Just to think that David Carter will be the backup

29. By KyCardsfan on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

@Tom
    I was kinda thinking the same thing when I seen Edwards went to the niners…but then I thought if Roberts has progressed that much, teams might underestimate him and maybe we can get a few cheap td’s out of it lol, just hoping.

30. By Scott H on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Tom, Christo, Dave -

Glad to see I’m not the only one who thinks this team has done a lousy job this off-season of handling the WR’ position and that we are nowhere near as good as we should be…and COULD HAVE BEEN! I love that we got Kolb but beyond that, I really don’t see where we had such a great off-season. We could have had a dynamic top-10 TE in Zach Miller…instead, we settled for a very average Todd Heap. WR’s like Sydney Rice, Braylon Edwards, and Malcom Floyd were available…and we got ( drumroll, please ) Chansi Stuckey. Are you friggin kidding me??? There were other CB’s available as well…who are all now with other teams. But WR was definitely the biggest failure. I wonder if they’ll even go after a guy like Jerricho Cotchery at this point. Then again, after you’ve landed a prize like Chansi Stuckey, what more could you possibly need???

31. By BIG RED on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren, who will be staying and who will be going in the tight end position.

32. By Eric on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

@Tom, why would we want a guy thats on probation, and facing more criminal charges, not to mention, IMHO, a bad attitude and lack of love and respect for the game. I’m glad SF got him, now he’s there problem.

@Dave, thank you for paying attention. Anyone that think the Cards didn’t have an awesome off season, clearly doesn’t pay attention. I really believe we are fine at WR. Lets not forget Early is healthy, Williams, maybe even Sampson could come around. I’m not worried.

@john the draft guy, I think I’m starting to like you. My sentiments exactly.

33. By Peter in Canada on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

@Tx Cards – I agree with your concern about the O-line. Lutui is overweight and Brown and Keith were below average tackles last year. Colledge just replaces Faneca and Womack is a guard not a tackle. I would have thought the FO would have brought in a tackle by now. But they are closer to the situation and know more than us so I will take drummer-1′s suggestion and relax.

34. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Big Red –

RE: TE

That’s what training camp is for. Way too early to know.

35. By cardinalchris on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Some players develop into great players. Not all Hall of Fame players are Hall of Famers in year 1. If these free agent receivers are so great, why weren’t 10 NFL teams pounding down their door to get them. Truth is, they are average at best. We pay coaches to develop talent and build through the draft. Roberts will succeed as the number 2 this year. We’ll have a really nice set of receivers with or without Early.

36. By Tbru on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

I see the 10 year CBA is officially signed, sealed, and delivered. Please tell me there is no !@#$ opt out clause, for either side.

37. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Tbru –

RE: CBA

10 years, ironclad. No opt-out.

38. By cardsalltheway on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

I like the competition we have at WR. If we brought someone else in we’d lose that. As long as we stay healthy at WR we can send any of them long at any time, other teams will not know who the decoy is for Fitz when using or 3 or 4 WR set. Let’s just not do that too often or get away from the run and use of TE’s. We can use our WR’s, TE’s, or RB’s the most depending on the other teams weakness.

39. By cactus jeff on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully-
    Assuming you are right and Dan Williams is solid. I would still like to see another NT. Patriots have Haynesworth/Wolfork, Packers Raji/Pickett. Four big dudes who can stop the run with small LBs in a 3-4 system. With Schofield, Washington and Lenon, the cards need some size up front.

40. By John the draft guy on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Wow, we blew it not getting Malcolm Floyd???
    Floyd has never started more than 9 games in a season. He has been in the league since 2004 and 9 starts is the most he has had. In 7 years he has grabbed 15 tds total. How did he become so good over this offseason. This was on a charger team that went out and traded for an aging Chris Chambers a few years ago. They grab Patrick Clayton this year. This guy had 35 catches. Do you really see him as a savior?

Braylon Edwards?? Leads the League in dropped passes and run out of Cleveland. The Jets signed a guy who has been in prison for 2 years instead of bringing him back. He Has a DUI and now the bar fight and a suspension hanging over him. Didn’t look like a lot of teams wanted him is FA. Look at the deal he signed. He is your other savior,

Those who said we should have kept Breaston. That’s is a good argument. Problem there is, the cards had some injury concerns. The Chiefs made a good offer and took him away. The cards must have felt there was a risk .

Steve Smith is coming off of surgery and may not play any preseason putting him way behind.

I’m still waiting on the T.O. calls. I’m surprised we haven’t seen calls for him yet.

Roberts started 2 games last year. He had 9 catches and 133 yds and a TD. Is there a risk? yes. Doucet played in 16 games in 3 years with 57 catches. When he is healthy he performs but that is a lot of games missed. Stuckey is more of a 4th WR and could challenge for a 3 spot. So I get the concerns. But to grab at big names and think they are the answer is not smart.

Go into the preseason and play a game or two. See if guys step up. Look at the waiver wire and make a smart choice, not an emotional one.

I’ve said this before, Dallas won 3 superbowls with 1 great wr, a great running game and a solid TE. Build a running game and we will be OK. Heap will have 50 catches. Roberts will average 4 catches a game (64 catches), Wells and Williams will combine for 1400-1600 yards. If this happens, Fitz will be fine. Heck, he had 90 catches with Anderson, Hall, and Skelton. Everyone knew he was getting the ball and he had 90 catches. Reminds me of Irvin. Everyone knew Aikman was going there but it was tough to stop. Be more concerned about the run. How we run will determine how far we go.

41. By John the draft guy on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

One more thing about the Cards offseason;
    Landing a Franchise QB is huge. You know how many teams will not make the playoffs because of poor QB play? Don’t down play that move if it was all that we did. With Kolb last year and nothing else, we easily win the west and have a home playoff game.

But we didn’t stop there. Bradley is a very good pickup and filled a huge need at ILB. I love Richard Marshall and his toughness will improve this secondary. Eason and Holiday will help the depth behind Dockett and Campbell and keep them fresh. Both TEs will play vital rolls in this Offensive.

I do have a concern at Tackle. Keith was shaky last year before the injury. This is a spot that the cards need to watch. I would also like to see them add another NT to play behind williams. But overall, this has been a great offseason.

42. By mike on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Just like it is too early to call it a bust off-season, it is too early to call it a success! RIGHT DARREN?

43. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Mike –

RE: Judgements

Correct.

44. By Tbru on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

10 years, ironclad. No opt-out.

Thank you Darren for the info, and thank all that is good for that bit of sanity

45. By cardinalchris on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

RE: Judgements

I would disagree. The season may not be a success, but as a 40 year Card fan, I’ve never been happier with the front office. I truly believe they did the best they could to put a winner together. I’m sure they wish that a player or two that was available in free agency could have ended up here, but free agency is a two sided story for each player. So, as a fan, I consider this offseason a success. The Front Office had a plan and executed it! That, to me, is a successful offseason.

46. By John the draft guy on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Mike,
    I agree to a degree.
    Did the cards fill most of their needs this off season with players who have performed in the past? Yes. Even Kolb showed enough that the Cards felt dealing for him was a major upgrade.
    It’s not like the draft, where guys haven’t played a down in the NFL, you know what you are getting.
    But to say it was a success, the players have to perform. I’m sure everyone will agree that how Kolb does will determine how this offseason will be judged.

As a long time Card fan, I have never drank the Kool aid. I usually disagree with some of the picks in the draft.I have been disgusted with past offseasons and felt this team wasn’t even trying. But I really liked this off season and believe we will win the West. Somehow, I’m actually becoming a Michael Bidwell fan. Weird?

47. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy –

RE: Weird?

Not really. But if you’re becoming a fan, gotta spell it right — Bidwill. ;)

48. By Mike in Mesa on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Arizona QBs last year threw 10 TDs in 561 attempts. Kolb threw 7 in 189. When I first looked at his stats I thought he wasn’t much better than Andersen. But the stats appear to be skewed. I actually think this guy is going to be good after reading a breakdown of his stats by this person: http://igglesblitz.com/tag/kevin-kolb/ One of the games he played in last year was a throw away game against Dallas in which he had no starters playing. A couple of others were games they had RB injuries and were playing catch up. He destroyed Atlanta. Remember that team that blew us out last year. Igglesblitz does a pretty good job of breaking things down.

Again DO NOT add anymore WRs. The corps we have now are more than capable of getting the job done. Man some of you fans specialize in knee jerk reactions. You live in a I want it now/Me first/Selfish/Instant gratification world. How bout you watch some games before bad mouthing the moves this team has made?

If Kolb pays dividends and with Skeltons potential upside the Cards might be in pretty good shape right now. GO CARDS!

And anyone who says Dan Williams is a bust has no clue. The dudes going to be a stud. If Whisenhunt hadn’t let his ego get in the way with the weight thing, he should have been starting day one last year.

49. By Scott H on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy -

I enjoyed your input, quite honestly, even if I do not agree with some of it. But I think you really went too far in bringing in the Cowboys and their 3 SB’s because I see no remote comparison between them and where the Cardinals are right now. First and foremost, Dallas had a truly great QB in Troy Aikman and that’s what makes EVERYTHING go. While I am psyched about Kolb and his potential, he is not there yet. Dallas Emmittt Smith. Need I say more? We do NOT have one of those. Dallas had Jay Novacek who was to them what Dallas Clark is to the Colts these days. A TE who is that productive TAKES AWAY the need for other great WR’s. Not only do we NOT have that, we haven’t had a decent TE since Jay Novacek was HERE!!!

And as much as I realize I am being too much of a pessimist these days, I say that anyone who is counting on Early Doucet to make a significant contribution is being far too OPTIMISTIC. The words Doucet and healthy being used in the same sentence is practically un-heard of. Hey, I’d love to see him stay health and finally show up. But never mind pessimistic or optimistic. The REALITY is that he has been here for 3 years and barely done anything because he can’t even get on the field. That is NOT encouraging. Where he is concerned, I’ll believe it when I see it. And that is Fair.

And to whoever it was who said that Edwards is now San Fran’s problem? Yeah, OK. Funny, he didn’t look like too much of a problem last year with the Jets, did he? Sure didn’t look that way to me. I would love to believe that you are right. Who knows? Maybe he will more closely resemble the player he was for most of his career prior to last year. But if he’s not, then he’s gonna be OUR problem this year. Twice. Until the situation proves otherwise, I think having him can only make the 49ers better. Just as I believe he could have only made us better.

But at this point, I really am tired of listening to myself and all the negativity. So, I will turn my attention to who IS here and stop griping about who’s NOT here. Well, I’ll try to stop…

50. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: Edwards

One quick point to clarify on Edwards — if he wasn’t a problem with the Jets, why would they let him walk away so easily?

51. By Alex Lowry on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for all the love on my pic! Was just having some fun and got a hold of a good one! Maybe I have a future in free lance photography eh?

52. By Scott H on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Darren -

As I have used that logic with many other players ( McNabb, Young ), yes, I have to understand that it goes both ways. I hear you and there may be something to this I do not know. But I think you also have to acknowledge that the Jets had to prioritize either Edwards or Santonio Holmes. They were NOT going to be able to keep them both once they decided on Holmes and paid him as they did. Once they did that, it was pretty much the end for Edwards…don’t you think?

53. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: Edwards

Braylon got $1 million base salary. Don’t you think the Jets could have offered just a tiny bit more if they wanted to?

54. By Scott H on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Darren -

OK. Does that mean Edwards was going to stay there for just a little bit more??? I’m saying that I think Edwards sees himself in the same league with Holmes, regardless of whether anyone else would see it that way or not. After the Jets gave Holmes what they gave him, I do not believe Edwards was going to stay there and take significantly less. Yeah, he ended up with significantly less, anyway. BUT I think he wanted to / needed to see if he could do just as well somewhere else. For THAT reason, I think there was no way both WR’s were going to stay with the Jets. If they had chosen to give Edwards the money they gave Holmes, Holmes would have been out the door just as Edwards was.

55. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: Edwards

Again, though, you are missing the point. The Jets didn’t want Edwards back.

56. By Scott H on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Well, sir…that may indeed be true. I see THAT point. MY point is that Holmes put them in a position to not want Edwards back. If Holmes had snubbed the Jets to go elsewhere, I think they might have wanted Edwards back pretty badly! Always happy to hear back from you but we can let this one go at this point.

57. By Eazy E on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

The Jets still weren’t smart not bringing Braylon back and signing Plax. I think Plax can still play, but he’s not better than Braylon at least not right now.