• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Any name better than no name

Posted by Darren Urban on August 7, 2011 – 7:55 pm

Undrafted rookie outside linebacker Duke Lemmens, a Florida product, may have an uphill battle making the team given his position on the depth chart — “There are a lot of good players and not too many spots,” he said — but it’s safe to say he won’t be forgotten. Well, kind of.

While Duke seems like a pretty unique moniker, Lemmens isn’t being called Duke. Thanks to his look — seen below, No. 39 — he’s being called “Kenny G.”

“Yeah, they call me ‘Kenny G,’ and sometimes the coaches don’t even put the ‘G’ on and just call me Kenny,” Lemmens said. “And they’re surprised when I don’t respond when they ask me to do something, but it’s not my natural name. I’m like, ‘I don’t know what you guys are talking about.’ “

But, Lemmens admits, “as long as they remember me somehow, I don’t care.”

“I’m just trying to get noticed any way I can,” he said. “The strength coach (John Lott) the first day called me ‘Carrot Top’ and I thought that was going to stick, but it seems like ‘Kenny G’ has been the winner lately. Some guys have been trying to call me ‘Weird Al’ lately.”

At practice last week, defensive coordinator Ray Horton bellowed for “Kenny G” to move somewhere during a walk-through, and did so without the hint of a smile. Lemmens might has well officially change his name, at least as a Cardinal in Flagstaff. He won’t be changing his look, though, as long as he’s in the NFL.

“It’s my last shot before the real world,” Lemmens said. “I don’t know when that will happen and I’ll never be able to grow out my hair again, so ideally I’d like to grow it out for many more years and not care about anything. We’ll see.

“All I can control is my reps and my effort,” Lemmens added. “I pride myself on two things I can control: How hard I go and how tough I am.”

Not exactly words you’d ever expect Kenny G to utter.

Tags: , ,

25 Responses to “Any name better than no name”

1. By rio on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

William Wallace the tougest Scottsman in the history of the World had
    RED HAIR ALSO. WATCH THIS KID.

2. By Gocardds on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren, thanks for this update. I think most fans want to know about new things, such as roockies and their efforts in this part of the year. Excitment about new players and football is part of this preseason atmospher. I like your article. This is not the only thing you have written which I like. I have enjoyed severa articles of yours. I’m your fan because I like football, but as the same time I like to let you know what I like as a fan. Darren, please, give us more infos abou these new roockies and veterans. I believe we know about Dock, Adab, FiZ, and others.

3. By Phoenixraven1 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Good luck kid!

4. By Blake on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Maybe he can lull the opposing offense to sleep with a smooth clarinet solo….

5. By Joseph on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Being a saxophone player myself, its nice to see Kenny G get “made fun of” Go Cards

6. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

See, I was thinking Julia Roberts.
    Unfortunately for the young man, the “real world” will probably hit soon.
    Remember last season’s “Iron Sheik” (Dean Muhtadi) and the “World’s Fastest Man” (Micheal Ray Garvin)?
    He could always try back,back, back Broadway for an Annie revival.
    Sorry for the cynicism, just back from Cards Camp and with the Wilson injury and the lackluster effort of the team in infancy stages, leaves much to be desired.
    Lots of room for improvement.

7. By Andre on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

This kid has such a great personality. Very humble person. I wish him well and hope he makes the team so we can see some more of him next year. I think he will turn out great.

8. By cards>niners on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

darren,
    do you see Patrick Peterson starting against Carolina on kickoff weekend?

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

cards> –

RE: Starting Peterson

Yes, I could see it. Certainly not a lock, though.

10. By darthcard on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

I wish him well but he’s wearing Johnny Johnsons number. Lol I wore that number in highschool.

11. By garrett on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

rookies*

12. By cards62 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Darren I like these stories on the rookies also. We know they are long shots to make the team, but it is interesting getting to know their stories and finding our favorites to root to make the team. My favorite free agent I a rooting for to stay healthy and make the team is Kris O’Dowd Center USC.

In 3 more days we play our first preseason game, unfortunately I will not get to watch the game until Sunday when NFL Network airs the game. Remember be patient with Kolb he still has a lot to learn, but I think he will be a very good one for our team. I am so glad that football is here.

Go Cards

13. By Peter in Canada on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Yes the real world may indeed hit soon but he is giving it his best and what more can people ask of a man. His efforts should not be disparaged and I for one wish him all the best.

14. By cardsalltheway on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

How old do you have to be before people stop making fun of others? If I were him I might feel uncomfortable being the butt of all hopeful comedians. It doesn’t seem as though he’s going to be known by as one name like he mentioned wouldn’t be a problem. Now, it seems everyone is calling him any nickname pulled from thin air. The guy went to Duke so I’m guessing he must be from the eastern part of America? Way to leave a good impression AZ peeps(or those residing in), I’m sure if he gets cut he’ll think highly of those that called him whatever name they wanted(sarcasm off).

15. By ProSportsPhoenix on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Reports say ADub has torn muscle and not tendon. I hope he lets it heal and comes back 100% rather than trying to play at 75%.

We need him healthy!

Lets Roll

16. By BigFan on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

WHATS THE WORD ON WILSON ??!!!

17. By Mario Ortiz on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

How has Peterson been performing?

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

RE: College

He went to Florida. His name is Duke.

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Mario –

RE: PP

He has looked good in his limited time so far.

20. By Matt on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

kinda looks like sideshow bob. you are in our prayers A-Dub I know you won’t let anything keep you down or get in your way

21. By Scott H on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Damn, when did we sign Billy Squier???

22. By cody on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Darren, i am a 17 year old up and coming writer. ive been published by a couple of small time websites and blogs, but im still trying to find a way to get my name out there. is there any advice you can give me that would help me break into the world of sports journalism, or will i just have to wait until i finish college to actually get any where?

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Cody –

RE: Advice

Shoot me an e-mail at askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net.

24. By cardsalltheway on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

cody,
    You can start by capitalizing your – i – when it ought to be capitalized, press the shift key then the – i – key to do so. Good Luck!

And a shout out to the Floridian named Duke. I’d like to suggest after each tackle you say…”My name is Duke and don’t you forget it.” Sooner or later it might get back to the coaching staff and they might(Big ?) show you some respect.

25. By kelly Hill on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply