A-Dub goes Shawshank in his philosophy

Posted by Darren Urban on August 8, 2011 – 6:31 pm

Safety Adrian Wilson spoke after the afternoon practice looking nothing like a man facing an uphill battle with a torn biceps tendon. In fact, he went all philosophical when asked if he’d be ready for the season opener against Carolina.

“I think I’ve got two options,” Wilson said. “I can either get busy living, or get busy dying.”

A brilliant Shawshank Redemption play right there.

“I’m always confident,” Wilson said. “I think coach Whiz gave you a pretty good rundown.”

Wilson, as he is so good at doing, feigned ignorance and surprise when someone asked about the tear. “Who said I have a tear?” Wilson asked indignantly. When told it was the Cardinals and Whisenhunt, Wilson said “I’m just hurt.” And he chuckled. “I guess the medical term is a tear, but I’m just hurt. … I’ll be OK.”

He added, “I would love to be out there the first (regular-season) game. That’d be great. I’ve got a roster bonus coming up, you know. I got things that depend on that.” Again, he chuckled. He certainly has kept a sense of humor. “I think I have a pretty good chance of maybe playing (the first game). Maybe not. I just don’t want to put myself in a spot where something goes wrong.”

Later, he said, “I’m dealing with the positive right now.”

Tags:

47 Responses to “A-Dub goes Shawshank in his philosophy”

1. By John the draft guy on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Darren, The question is way too early, but what the heck.. :)

If ADub will miss significant time, and that’s a big if, could you see the cards make a move with the current players? If you remember my comments from the draft, you’ll know where I’m going.

We would have a much stronger secondary if we moved Peterson to safety, Marshall and Toler as CB’s and Jefferson at nickle. I see Peterson much more of a Ronnie Lott than a Deion Sanders. Paired with Rhodes, we would have two guys who could blitz, drop down in the slot, or play center field.

Of course Wilson says he will be back and so does Whiz, although at 75% ? 85% ? 100% ? With an unknown pass rush, this secondary can’t afford to have a guy who is not 100% and Johnson and Ware are a big drop off.

Just a thought.

2. By Khards on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

ME GUSTA

3. By OLdude on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Hoping the best for A-dub ……also hoping that this injury won’t affect his play as much as last years did – he is critical to the success of the defense – especially in the Horton scheme. Darren , what’s the typical prognosis for this type of injury?? Do these type of injuries heal themselves given proper rest? does it affect his ability to tackle ?

4. By Jzoully on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Is Rashad Johnson more of a coverage player or an impact hitter?

5. By LICards on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Why are there links to an Eagles blog on the Cardinals website!?! Again!

6. By Kurt on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Adrian is the heart ans soul of whats good about the Cardinals, It will be a big boost when he returns

7. By azcards24 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

darren,
    Off the subject

i saw in the interveiw with beanie wells on the scrimage video they metioned being excited about a new offensive coordinater, can you tell me more about this guy?

If so he will be the first OC the cardinals have had since Todd haley and the superbowl year, correct?

thanx darren
    70 HOURS TILL FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!and counting…..

8. By R Robles on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Lets go #24 hope you heal quickly we need you buddy

9. By bobcat44 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Gotta love A-Dub

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

OLine —

RE: Injury

As Whisenhunt said, there is no typical. I have heard of a handful of examples of players playing with this. Depends. I don’t know if they can heal on their own.

11. By darrenisawesome on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

how’s anthony sherman looking?… I’ve heard a few positive things about him

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: Rashad

I’d say coverage, but he has to step up the other part of his game.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

LICards —

RE: links

You have to clear your cache.

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

azcards24 —

RE: OC

The OC is Mike Miller, who has been with the Cards since 2007. He is technically the OC for the first time this season but he was the passing game coordinator last year.

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

darrenisawesome —

RE: Sherman

I think they like him. I expect him to be a part of this team.

16. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Shawshank Redemption reference-

Does that mean that Wilson if incarcerated in a hospital with bicep surgery, will eventually tunnel his way out behind a Jennifer Lopez poster with a metal spoon?

The whole movie is appropriate because it deals with hope, something Adrian and the Cards need right now.
    And any movie that has “Red” and “Andy” as the principle characters sounds good to me.

17. By ProSportsPhoenix on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

I hope Adrian is doing the right thing and not cutting his career short. We need him for the long haul.

Playing in Oakland with only 5 practices (full team not counting the walk through (s)) season ticket holders there have a legitimate beef about being charged full price for their tickets. Having to buy these tickets always irritated me. Any comment?

Beat Oakland!

18. By John on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Do you expect for preseason games to feature the starters playing more ?

19. By cactus jeff on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

If he ruptured the long head of the biceps tendon, he could theoretically play with it but it won’t heal. He will lack strength and have instability at the shoulder. Not promising, but half an arm for Adub is double mine!

20. By Yoshi on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Why is Adrian Wilson such a beast at life?? It’s almost weird.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

ProSports —

RE: Oakland

Do I have any comment on Oakland ticket holders? Uh, no.

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

John —

RE: Starters

I think that’s TBD. Whisenhunt said he wasn’t sure yet.

23. By John the draft guy on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Was checking out the depth chart. If you push Marshall up into the second string defense, I’m not sure who is better- The starters or 2’s.
    Yes, I know some of the 2’s will start eventually, but it shows the depth of this defense.

But saying that, there is a drop off at the safety spot more than anywhere else. I think Johnson, Ware or the other guys are my main focus (besides seeing Kolb) thursday night. Can’t wait. But I still like my Peterson to safety move.

24. By aFanThatsWantsREVENGE on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

If the biceps is ruptured in a person who requires full strength, such as an athlete, surgery may be required. Then heal for six to eight weeks, continuing to progress with more functional activities and greater range of motion. Your return to full activity could take up to several months.

This means that we will not see Wilson for the 1st part of season?????

Will the cards try to sign other safety other than Matt Ware??!! He surely doesnt replace the likes of Wilson??

25. By Louis on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Any chance the cardinals could go after a guy like taylor mayes? He seems to fit a Ray Horton type guy?

26. By Kaleb on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

DARREN-

I wont be able to watch the preseason games over here, I was wondering if the highlights will be posted on the website?

27. By Jennifer on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

How can Jay Feely and Kevin Kolb have the same jersey number? I assume Jay switched to a different one? Not really the most important question in the world, but I was just wondering…

28. By cardsalltheway on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

2nd opinion for A-Dub…

29. By John the draft guy on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Not to get political but;
    Just read the story about Abdullah going to the White House. On the wake of the US being downgraded and our brave men being shot down and killed overseas, it’s good to see our President has time to have a party to cellebrate a muslim holiday with random football players.
    I missed the story about Kurt Warner and other Christians being invited to the White House foe Easter. What? He wasn’t? Oh yeah, separation of church and state.

Thank God for football to distract us all.

30. By cardsalltheway on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Of course I have no reason to believe one way or the other but perhaps A-Dub’s in a “jovial” mood because no matter what happens he’ll be earning huge pay checks every two weeks whether he plays or not?

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

aFan —

RE: Wilson

At this point, Wilson is rehabbing and trying to play without surgery. Obviously, surgery would change the equation.

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Louis —

RE: Taylor Mays

Is he one of Horton’s guys? Not exactly rangy. They won’t make a move right now. Wilson is going to try to play.

33. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Kaleb —

RE: Preseason

Yes, we will have videos posted from the game, including highlights.

34. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Jennifer —

RE: Feely jersey

Jay is No. 3 now.

35. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Dinner

Two points:

1) This is an annual event.
    2) It’s not a day-long thing. It’s a dinner.

36. By Jzoully on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

this is a two part question. Will you be able to do a podcast before the Oakland game? And is Rex Hadnot having a good offeason to become a starter?

37. By J Swizzle on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Darren is there going to be a Fan Fest this year?

38. By Jon L. on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Wilson has got some serious balls playing with a torn bicep and I hope he is very productive this year even with his injury.

39. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: Podcast/Hadnot

Unfortunately, we just haven’t had time/logistics to podcast. We need to get back to that but it just hasn’t been able to happen. This camp is so different than the others. Hopefully we will do one soon.

As for Hadnot, he looks OK to me, but if Deuce gets his weight in check, I will not be surprised to see him end up as the starter.

40. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

J Swizzle —

RE: Fan Fest

Fan Fest is a minicamp thing in the offseason.

41. By Chuck 1 on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Off topic, BUT, I doubt that the Card’s linebacker crew will be as good as some fans think (see Porter and Haggans).
    If I’m correct, why didn’t Graves and Whiz sign free agents Shaun Ellis and/or Andre Carter as the Patriots did?
    Is it any wonder that the Pats are in the playoffs most of the time and usually considered contenders for the SB?

42. By cards62 on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy – Interesting post on the move of Peterson to safety.
    I am hoping our #5 player selected in the draft can become a shut down corner, and a shut down corner is harder to find than a safety. I also remember reading about Johnson being slow to catch on in high school and college, but once he gets an understanding of what the coaches want he excels. Johnson is a hard worker so I am hoping his lights come on this preseason and we will have 3 great safeties.
    Concerning your other post the Christians are invited to the White House on Easter Sunday to remember & honor our holy day by having our children search through the grass to find easter eggs and be entertained by a giant white rabbit.

Adub hurts because he is going to be missing a lot of time with our 2 new cornerbacks. When he does come back how well can he play as a unit?
    It will be interesting. I hope they bring him back slow and if Johnson plays well in the preseason let him start week 1 against Cam Newton and work Adub back slowly.

Go Cards!

43. By cards62 on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

To Chuck 1

Which of us fans actually think our linebacking crew is going to be above average?

I think most of us fans are scared to death of our LBs and OTs and we know this is where our 1st round draft choice will be in 2012, and where more of our draft choices/ free agent signings should have been in 2011.

We are just hoping they do enough with our DL and secondary to get us off the field, but of the 3 groups our LBs are our weakest link, and most of us, including me do not know if we have an NFL caliber nose tackle on our team.

We are hoping for the best Chuck and we are excited because we have a QB and play in a weak conference, but we do also worry for our team.

Go Cards

44. By John the draft guy on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Never in the history of the US have I seen the US downgraded. Have you?
    Not sure if he is having a dinner for those fallen families. Are you?
    Seems there are a few problems, you know unemployment, wars, economic caos, trillions in debt, that dinners celebrating a muslim holiday with football players seems unnessessary. I guess that is just me.

This is why I love football. I can go to the games and yell my lungs out and forget about the world for 3 hrs or so. Back to the football blogs.

45. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

John —

RE: Hamza story

I enjoy your insight when you come on here. But explain to me why this has to be anything else but a really good guy in Abdullah getting a chance to meet the President?

Are things rough right now. Yes. You ask the questions. I have one. I can’t think of a moment in time when everything has been right with either the U.S. or the world. Do we just stop doing all “unncessary” things then?

46. By cardsalltheway on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Likes John the Draft Guy when he comes on here. WOW, he has such political insight.

2. Feb 13, 2012: Word From the Birds BlogWilson’s workload was heaviest in NFL «