No depth chart surprises

Posted by Darren Urban on August 8, 2011 – 3:36 pm

The Cardinals have released their first official depth chart of the preseason, and it contains no real surprises, especially early on in the process. Many veterans who are battling to keep starting jobs got the first nod.

Joey Porter and Clark Haggans are the starting outside linebackers. Rex Hadnot is first-team right guard above Deuce Lutui. Five rookies are running second-team: CB Patrick Peterson (behind A.J. Jefferson), RB Ryan Williams (behind Beanie), LB Sam Acho (behind Haggans), NT David Carter (behind Dan Williams) and fullback Anthony Sherman (behind Reagan Maui’a). Interestingly, Richard Marshall is listed as the third-team cornerback behind Greg Toler and Michael Adams, but again, this depth chart is going to be very fluid right now and I expect more than a few changes by the time this team gets to the end of the month and/or the regular-season opener.

At lunch today, coach Ken Whisenhunt joked that, in terms of the depth chart, “Everybody is in a battle for every spot (but) I’m leaning a little bit more toward Kevin right now after the way it’s gone, and Larry is probably pretty straight too. But there are a lot of positions up for grabs.”

Kevin and Larry are Kolb and Fitz, obviously. Let everyone else fall where they may.

Tags: , , , ,

34 Responses to “No depth chart surprises”

1. By CardsInChile on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Richard Marshall at 3rd is suprising. Was thinking he was an almost lock at 1, and surely 2nd if not starting. Sounds like Jefferson has started camp strong, and with that pick on Saturday is doing well for himself. Good to see competition at the positions! LET’S GO CARDS!!!!!

2. By Chad on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Andre Roberts at the #2 is scary. Our WR core seems thin and vulnerable. We have a QB but nobody besides Fitz to throw to! Any word on getting a legit #2 WR?

3. By tom on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

if marshall isnt a starter there is a huge problem… hes a proven starter i dont care what he does in camp hes PROVEN he can play! toler kind of has but marshall is our best cirner until pp blossoms he better be starting

4. By cardfan6 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

so the 1st round draft pick is listed as the 5th cb. sounds like a terrible pick.

5. By cardfan6 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

and if richard marshall had such a great season why would he not start over aj jefferson who was cut last year and sent to philly correct? to me this depth chart is terrible hopefully not another awfull season

6. By Eric on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Darren, Do you think that ADub could slide into an LB spot if we are solid enough at SS? I’ve always kind of thought he plays better in that position toward the front anyway. Interesting that Marshall is listed third. I’m not suprised that Jefferson is up there, he has a lot of potential. Lets hope Johnson steps up BIG so ADub can take his time and come back when he can be affective. Not suprised though that he wants to come back by 9/11. The dude is a stud, but we need him healthy.

7. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Little surprising to me is that a guy the Cards targeted as a possible Breaston replacement, Chansi Stuckey is running 3rd/4th string.
    Overloaded on TEs. Darren, do you see the team carrying 3, 4 or more? (Ex Vike coach Mike Tice brought 9 TEs to training camp in 2004, keeping 5 but no true FB and only 6 WRs.)

8. By C Sizzle on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

DARREN, Not good seeing Richard Marshall with the 3rd string. He needs to step up big and fast. Also surprised to see Bradley still 2nd string behind Lenon. Is this just becuase he is still learning the system? Also surprised to see Sturdivant 4th string.

9. By BIG RED on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Who’s 2nd team QB, Darren.

10. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Are the Cards going to pick up a back up nose tackle?

Surprises… Chansi Stuckey is way back there, Acho 2nd team & Davis is 3rd.

11. By joe again on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Darren, and anyone else out there in Card-land who may know the answer-

Whats the best way for me to get the Cards games on-line? I’ve just moved out of state and dont have a TV. Will ABC 15 in Phx stream pre-season games on-line, or do I need to pay for some kind of package… or what? I’ve just gotta see my Cards, cuz we’re gonna kick ass in the division this year.

I’m a dinosaur with this tech stuff, so I just need a little advice/help, please.

12. By MIKE G on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren—How is Dan Williams looking with his weight — I know coaches seemed a little concerned. Is he over by a lot?? Or is Whiz just trying to light a fire under him???

13. By azirish on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Darren-
    Has there been any talk about bringing in another corner or safety due to the injuries?

14. By Peter in Canada on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Darren – Has Deuce had his physical yet and if so what is the weight?

15. By Javi on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

so darren, will the cardinals look to sign any freeagents at all in this remaining offseason?

16. By jdcrow59 on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Anybody, except Joey Porter.

17. By Jzoully on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Does this mean that A.J. Jefferson is having a great offseason and could be a starter one day?

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Eric –

RE: Wilson position

Adrian is a safety. Period. They may move him around at time. But he’s a safety.

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: WR/TE

I could see them keeping four TE this year, especially with Housler. As for Stuckey, they like a lot of the young guys. Stuckey is just one in the mix.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Tinted –

RE: Backup NT

I don’t think right now.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Big Red –

RE: Backup QB

Skelton is second team.

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Joe again –

RE: Online TV

I think you have to have the Direct TV service.

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Dan Williams

I think they’d like to motivate him, yes.

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

C Sizzle –

RE: Depth chart

I warn that it is very early on the depth chart.

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

azirish –

RE: CB/S

Not at this time.

26. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Peter –

RE: Deuce weight

Yes, but they don’t announce the weight.

27. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully –

RE: Jefferson

It means Jefferson has been with the team the longest. We will see after, say, the third preseason game how it shakes out.

28. By Kaleb on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

JOE AGAIN-

You can go to NFL.com and check out NFL game pass.. it costs $200 and you get all preseason and regular season games. It streams your team games live and when the games are not on you can watch NFL network 24/7. I had it last year it is really good, unfortunately they only allow it in the U.S. and im not right now.

29. By Mike on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

From what i read and hear Jefferson is having a great camp and has possibly the most upside of any DB on the team. He was an UDFA and now a possible starter in his 2nd year?! He is a terrific athlete and i believe will one day be a shut down corner in the league. What are your thoughts aside from him just being on the team longer than a couple other guys?

30. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Mike –

RE: Jefferson

I don’t think he will start, but he could find his way to be a 3 or 4. They like his potential.

31. By cards62 on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Darren I always liked having a backup QB as a holder on kicks any chance of this happening?

Darren is the roster current with the correct number?
    I will need this when I watch the game.

I agree with most of you seeing RIchard Marshall on 3rd team is a big surprise to me, Seeing LB Will Davis also so low surprises me. but like Darren said it is very early so I will not get excited.

I do like seeing PP as second string on KR and PR. Hopefully he will get a chance verses Oakland.

Of course being the President of the Todd Heap fan club I am very proud to announce that Todd has already been able to beat out the always strong incumbent TE class of the Cardinals to make it to 1st string by the first preseason game.

Go Cards!

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

cards62 –

RE: Questions

1.) P Ben Graham will be the holder as long as he’s on the team.
    2.) The roster is up to date.

33. By Kaleb on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Apparently you all havent been around Whiz long enough.. Lets all take a deep breath because i garuntee this will look alot different when carolina visits the valley. Whiz just wants to stick to his regime of not starting rookies and youngsters over veterans. This will change when the young guys outperform the old in Preseason. For example,
    Schofield over Porter
    Bradley over Lenon
    Peterson over Jefferson
    Peterson will likely be returning punts as well
    Duece ovr Hadnot (making duece work for the spot, makes sense, he’ll get it)
    Offense looks good. Defense looks decent. Most important thing is everyone being on the same page. I would rather them not sign anyone else at this point. No more trial and error here, we need to practice hard with the same groups and get comfortable and I think we can take the division.

2. Aug 9, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogTalk around the lunchroom «