A catch and a hurdle to end things

Posted by Darren Urban on August 9, 2011 – 5:39 pm

The Cardinals wrapped up Flagstaff practice this afternoon under gloomy skies and a little rain (but not enough to drive them inside.) As usual, Larry Fitzgerald made a few nice catches, including one in the back of the end zone, just getting both feet in. But it was what happened next that provided the highlight.

Three people — turns out, it was the family of quarterbacks coach Chris Miller — were sitting in chairs about eight yards or so beyond the back of the end zone. Fitz’s catch created enough momentum that he couldn’t slow down, which was basically going to mean he was going to run over a women sitting there. But Fitz managed to hurdle her — those watching estimated he cleared three-and-a-half or four feet — saving everyone involved and making it an interesting anecdote instead of a freak accident.

“That was a good ball by Kevin (Kolb) giving me an opportunity,” Fitzgerald said. “I didn’t know if I could get around here so I thought I should just go over the top. I’m just glad she didn’t stand up.”

Tags: ,

29 Responses to “A catch and a hurdle to end things”

1. By Phoenixraven1 on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Kolb to Fitz! music to my ears!!!

2. By Javi on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

darren, will the cards maybe look to get jerico cotchery?

3. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Boy, when I was there, no one was allowed within shouting distance of the field, let alone 8 feet from the end zone. (My staying back might have something to do with that restraining order Whiz has against me. Love ya Ken!)
    On an aside, Happy BDay Chris Miller!

4. By Matt on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Any video footage of Fitz’s leap? Even for Fitz, it sounds like an incredibly athletic action.

Thanks for all the coverage!

5. By abn on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

do you who or if the the game Thursday is going to be broadcast?

6. By syncro9z on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Darren, now that all the hoopla with the kolb trade has settled, I’m still very curious about something. I have read about how whiz and the gang were very high on kolb and his potential right before they closed the deal. Even how graves has said the Cards thought very highly of him in the year he was drafted. Is there anyway of knowing where kolb stood in the war room draft board that year?

7. By Joe-B on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Please tell me there is a video of this.

8. By Peter in Canada on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Just saw your report on Bo Bolinger. I remember seeing him play at Oklahoma a couple of times when I was a kid. He was really good but like many other college players of the day he was just too small for the NFL. He came up here to the CFL for a short time where size doesn’t matter but suddenly left. I was surprised to see he was employed by the Cards for all those years. Thanks for the short trip down memory lane.

9. By formerAzresident on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Yeah that’s sounds awesome who ever got see that is real lucky. Go fitzgerald make sum highlights this thursday against oakland! I’ll be watching on TV after work.

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Javi —

RE: Cotchery

I don’t expect it.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Matt —

RE: Video

Sorry.

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

abn —

RE: TV

It’ll be on at 7 p.m. Az time on ABC 15.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

syncro —

RE: Kolb board

Not sure. One problem, the Cards just drafted Leinart the year before, so I don’t know how hard they would have looked at him anyway.

14. By John the draft guy on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I just read your article about…… Sampson :). I don’t know why, but this guy has caught my eye. I’ve heard comparisons to Marquis Colston. Is that because both were 7th rounders or does Sampson’s game compare to colston?

I have a feeling that not signing a wr will pay off and this guy is one of the reasons.

15. By Scharf on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Do we have any interest in FA Jerricho Cotchery? He seems like a good piece to add to the puzzle and has a lot of the physical and mental attributes to play the position.

16. By Scharf on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Oops! Sorry Darren, I didn’t realize that the question had already been answered up top. Totally overlooked it!

17. By Jzoully on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Two Part Question, by the way thanks for answering all the questions. Is Chansi Stuckey doing enough to stay on the roster? And you seeing first hand could the Cardinals be interested in Bryant Johnson who we had many years ago?

18. By Kofari on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Darren do u think cards will get any more free agents

19. By cactus jeff on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    Any truth to the cardinals going after WR Lee Evans?

20. By VoiceofReason on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Yes, an athletic play from an all-world receiver. But someone had better ask: what if Fitzgerald, after having to leap over someone sitting where they shouldn’t have, landed awkwardly and hurt a knee or ankle? That it was the quarterbacks coach’s family makes it even worse.

Having gone to Flagstaff before many seasons, I love how close fans get to be to the players. But it is inexcusable that one of our players — and a valuable one at that — could be exposed to injury because someone is sitting where they shouldn’t. And even worse that that fan is related to a coach.

Here’s hoping the Cards’ security staff does a better job of keeping the fields clear.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Sampson

I’m not going to draw that comparison yet. Colston has proven a lot and Sampson hasn’t played a game. But he definitely looks better than a 7th-rounder. Sampson is taller, like Colston. I could see it paying off, definitely.

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: Stuckey/Bryant Johnson

I think Stuckey is going to have to fight to make the team. I don’t see Johnson returning.

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Kofari —

RE: FAs

I could see them making a couple more moves later.

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Cactus —

RE: Evans

I don’t see it.

25. By Scott H on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

It is GREAT to hear that Fitz is psyched about Kolb. He’s not the kind of guy to spout off or throw other guys under the bus, but last year must have been just s living hell for Fitz. Seriously. Imagine going from playing with Kurt Warner at his best to what the cardinals became last year…like he said himself, it must have been like going from eating caviar to eating out of the garbage cans. Hopefully, the menu is more to his liking this year.

26. By Scott H on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Javi –

VERY good question about Cotchery. And it just continues to blow my mind that they are not bringing in SOMEONE else at WR. Heck, Cotchery isn’t even a guy who I would normally be all that excited about. But right now??? I suddenly find myself very excited about a solid and experienced WR, no matter what his name is. Geez, it ain’t like anyone is gonna have to break the bank to get him…

27. By drummer-1 on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Scott H..

Maybe they are not bringing anyone else in at this time because the like what they have.. I think most fan want another WR because of name only.. not that we need a WR just because the one’s we have,haven’t made a name for themselve’s YET..

28. By Kofari on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

Darren.

All Cards needs is another pass rusher linemen and a wide out to take pressure off fits

29. By Scott H on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

drummer-1

Hope you are right. But, seriously, you tell me – if you are looking at another team’s roster and you see the names we have right now at WR, what are you thinking??? Obviously, they like what they have. And I sincerely hope what they have will work out. But I am not sold. It just seems too optimistic to think these guys are gonna ALL step up. Thinking we will be able to count on Doucet is DEFINITELY too optimistic. I am just as concerned about depth as I am about “names.” This group is already dangerously thin. We lose Doucet, and we are even thinner. I maintain that this team needed to add a WR during FA and my prediction is that this will quite obvious very soon.