Making people miss (and other stuff)

Posted by Darren Urban on August 9, 2011 – 9:51 am

Coach Ken Whisenhunt wants his running backs to be more productive than last year. Obviously, it’s not just on the backs to make the running game improve, but when asked specifically about the backs, Whiz quickly had a couple of points to make — which could be one reason Ryan Williams intrigued them so much in the draft and why they might have been willing to trade Tim Hightower.

In the end, both points Whiz made are basically the same — beating the opponent in one-on-one situations, whether it is on a rushing attempt or on a reception.

“On runs, it was not being able to make a single defender miss,” Whisenhunt said. “In the NFL, that’s what you have to do. Make guys miss, because you can’t block everybody. There were a couple times we were in the open field and we had an opportunity to make a big play and we got brought down and that was unacceptable.”

As for catching the ball in the flat, “you have an opportunity one-on-one in space against a linebacker and you are expected to win. The good ones do that. we did it sometimes, but not nearly as much (as we needed).”

That’s something LaRod Stephens-Howling can do. It looks like Williams has that ability. Beanie Wells has not done it as well, nor did Hightower. Was that simply an aberration last year? The Cards do need to get better at it.

– The Cards have one more practice this afternoon before heading down to the Valley and flying to Oakland tomorrow.

– Regardless of your political persuasion (and I now realize some people can’t get past that), you have to admit safety Hamza Abdullah’s invite to the White House is very cool. The best part is Whisenhunt’s excitement. “If Hamza didn’t want to go, I’ll go in his place,” Whisenhunt said with a grin. Fortunately for Abdullah, he can and is going.

– I tweeted this morning the contrast between healthy Adrian Wilson (grumpy and serious while in camp mode) and injured-trying-to-rehab A-Dub (suddenly all smiles). Wilson responded with his own tweet: “Positivity breads positive results.” He’s certainly staying positive and it’s hard not to have that be contagious when you are around him. (Yes, Wilson was going for “breeds” I think).

– If you are looking for a chance to meet the team and give a little to charity, the annual Kickoff Luncheon will be held at University of Phoenix Stadium Aug. 30. Click here to get all the info.

Tags: , , , , ,

38 Responses to “Making people miss (and other stuff)”

1. By D on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Regardless of your political persuasion (and I now realize some people can’t get past that), do you mean like I hope the President doesn’t do to Abdullah’s game like he did to the economy..stuff like that?…football is an escape from what we are losing in our 401k right now..thanks

2. By BobF on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Can you spell check for Adrian?

3. By phoenixraven1 on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

What rookies are stanind out to you so far D?

4. By beauchamp on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Is coach running any multiple back sets with the runningbacks. Specifically LSH and either Williams or Wells? With the diversity of talents amongst those guys especially Williams and LSH’s ability to catch the ball and our depth at te some full or loaded backfield sets are something im curious if we’ll see. Just wondering if coach has run any in camp, thanks!

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

phoenixraven —

RE: Rookies

Ryan Williams has looked pretty good. So has Peterson.

6. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Very insightful post Darren. Thanks.

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

beauchamp —

RE: Multiple sets

Yes, they use multiple sets at times. They will mix and match.

8. By Josh on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

leave your personal feelings out of it.

0/10

9. By brad oneill on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

well my political persuasion is decidedly on the side most opposed to Obama. But that said he is still the president and is certainly an extraordinary man. Only a fool would pass up on the opportunity to meet the most powerful man in the world. Hightower was much better at making people miss than beanie, at least it seemed like his runs lasted longer. including a long run or two that ended in fumbles.

10. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I think the poor play of the OL last season was a MAJOR factor in not being able to break tackles. Hard to juke a guy when he’s in the backfield a split second after the snap.
    That being said, Whiz’s comments have to be directed at Wells, ’cause his stats in this category last season had him second worst, behind Cowboy’s Tashard Choice.

11. By Andre on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

My political persuasion is decidedly most in accord with Obama. He’s a great sensible honest man and I would love to meet him too. You rarely find people who are willing to work together, leaving politics and personal feelings aside, at whatever the cost to get things done. He has done that and you can’t ask for a more sensible leader. Hamza is lucky and wish him the best.

12. By John on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Are the cardinals done with the free agency market?

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

John —

RE: FA market

Done? No. as active as they have been. No. They want to get Fitz done, and they are waiting to see how what they already have shakes out in a game or two or three.

14. By MIKE G on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren. I hope these runners have a good year. I think there is pressure on Wells and Williams. I am concerned who is going to block on obvious passing situations. I hope Williams can learn quickly. I thought the Card’s overall did a nice job in the offseason with free agency and in signing there own players. The only trade i did not like was Hightower. He was our best blocker and did average 4.8 per rush with a patched up offensive line. Do you think we could have gotten more for Hightower??? A 6th rounder and Holiday(14th year in league) seems not enough to me!!!

15. By rio on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

President Obama claims to be a Christian, but he is a wolf in Sheep’s clothing, having a Ramadan Celebration in the white house and inviting musilins from all over the world, i wonder if he invited the one’s that just shot down and killed our Navy Seals.

16. By Ditship on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Congrats to Hamza… and people are CRAZY.

17. By dmart on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

is cards/raiders carried by any TV networks? always a bonehead in the crowd and D is this one’s.

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Rio —

RE: President Obama

*smdh*

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

dmart —

RE: Raiders TV

It’ll be on ABC 15 in the Valley.

20. By D on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

sorry Darren, didn’t think you would post my remarks which I feel responsible for some politcal debate today…promise not to bring up politics again….
    Any news on an Larry extension?

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

D —

RE: Fitz

Nothing new. When there is news, there will be news.

22. By Andre on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Darren, rio’s comment is sad. Why even put that up?

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Andre —

RE: Comment

I think it’s foolish, as you could see by my reaction. But as long as it’s clean, I’m not here to censor.

24. By John the draft guy on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

What does smdh mean? Give me at least a hint.

Last political thing. First, no one is blaming Abdullah for going. Why would you?

But consider this; This board kills the Bidwills for not running an organization to your standards. They have knee jerk reactions to every non-signing or FA.

Is it too much to ask that of our Gov’t? Now we look at the national gov’t and , lets face it Andre and others, Obama is the face of our gov’t. We have just been downgraded for the first time ever. We are trillions in debt,Unemployment is approaching double digits again and a second recession, they just found that this health care bill will cost 50 billion more per year than expected, and we are in several wars where Real Heros are dying. (BTW,My Dad served 50 years and several wars)

Democrat or Repulican, Doesn’t sound like a winning organization does it? Why not cancel dinners and get to work so other can too. Especially religious ones since we have separation of church and state.

When did disagreeing with each other over political matters become such a taboo thing? Isn’t that why we have more than 1 party? I thought Edwards would be a bad signing and others thought I was crazy. No different here.Such anger. Andre likes Obama, I don’t. That’s what make America great.It’s OK to debate.

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Reactions

Reactions to the Bidwills I get on this blog. Quite frankly, I could care less about politics when it comes to my work, and I don’t want it here. I didn’t write the story so you could spout about President Obama. And what troubles me about any political discussion is just that — I’d be curious to know, if say, McCain was President, if you would still be so upset. If enough people don’t like the President, there will be a chance to vote him out next year. And if the next guy is not liked, in four years, etc.

Oh, and it means “shaking my (darn) head.”

26. By NJAzCardsFan on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

LEAVE POLITICS OFF THIS BLOG!!!!!!!

Most of us come hear for enjoyment and to follow the daily news of our favortie team.
    With that said…..
    Darren when is the first roster cut?
    Do Hall & Bartel get many snaps at QB in practice?
    Are any veterans on the bubble yet?

27. By John the draft guy on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

You are right that this is not a political forum, nor should it be. I guess some of us have been touched differently over the last 3 years than others and the story hit a nerve.
    I enjoy the time to think about football, so I’ll stay on subject.

But to answer your question, yes I would be complaining about McCain if we were in this mess. I believe both parties are a mess, just Obama is the face currently. 2010 was a very bad year.

28. By drummer-1 on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Darren to answer your question to the Draft guy, I don’t think he would be upset, and i think i know why you asked the question..Let’s move on to football, any new news about Fitz contract talks?

29. By brad oneill on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Rio do you know how many Muslims on our side have died in this war? On that helicopter along with the navy seals was an interpreter. you can bet that man was a good and decent fellow that put his country and people ahead of any prejudice he might have against us because he believed we will do the right thing. (many of the interpreters are volunteer american immigrants that are willing to go back to their home countries to help and they are extremely valuable in saving lives.”

Hamza being invited to the white house showcases our country in a positive light toward the Muslims of the world. I am sure there will be Muslims from all walks of American life there and hopefully it will lead to a better understanding of cultures.

I am not a bleeding heart liberal, I support both wars and believe if anything we have not been aggressive enough.

30. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

NJaz —

RE: Questions

1) First roster cut is after the third preseason game
    2) They get some. Bartel more than Hall.
    3) Too early to talk about a bubble.

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: 2010

On that last point, I will not argue.

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

drummer —

RE: Fitz

Nothing new.

33. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Brad —

RE: Politics

I think it’s time to move on from this subject. For everyone.

34. By bluepitt on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

D
    ” Whisenhunt wants his running backs to be more productive than last year”
    UH do you think we can get more than a 300 to 580 rush-Pass rat? We were 6th in the NFL in YPC!!!!!!!

@Andre
    ” You rarely find people who are willing to work together, leaving politics and personal feelings aside, at whatever the cost to get things done.”

hahaha Ever heard this? ” It might be the end of my presidency but I wont bow down to your way” then getting up and walking out of the meeting? hahahaha Work together you say?..LMFAO

35. By John the draft guy on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Sorry I brought politics to the blog and I’ll stick with football, and maybe the occational Go D-Backs and nice win tonight.I should have kept my personal feelings out. 2010, I lost my 6 figure job (took 9 months to find a new one for less), lost the house,cars and savings. I’m not part of a conspiricy or political movement (I’m not repulican or democrat- really).(McCann?? Really? smdh, (yes, I’m using it) . Amazingly, I kept my season tickets for the cards last year.(which was hard to justify) Which shows my love for this team.

Looking back, I should have just asked, Are we signing Cochery/Floyd/Edwards/Moss/Owens?? Don’t know if you heard but most think we need a #2 WR?

Drummer-1, love the fact you know my motivations and thoughts.Of course I would be upset at McCann since I didn’t vote for him.

Good article on Sampson. Can’t wait to see him play thursday night. Bartell to Sampson has a nice ring to it.

36. By Kaleb on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

I go to this website to get away from war and politics and all that mess. If you guys want to know more about it take a trip over here to Afghanistan and get off this blog with it. GO CARDS.

37. By cardsalltheway on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Packers linebacker(Desmond Bishop) forgets ID, can’t get into White House

He could’ve met Obama like Hamza Abdullah albeit for different reasons, what a bummer!

2. Aug 10, 2011: Around the NFC West: Kolb’s extra reps | Arizona News