Talk around the lunchroom

Posted by Darren Urban on August 9, 2011 – 12:22 pm

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said today that quarterback Kevin Kolb will probably play a little more than a first-team QB would normally in the first preseason game. That works for Kolb, who wants to play as much as he will be allowed. It’s definitely going to be an interesting game Thursday night just because of the utter lack of preparation given the offseason and the delay for just-signed vets.

QB Kevin Kolb was asked about the need to play more. “That’s a good question,” he said. Kolb stayed up in Flagstaff over the weekend to work on learning the playbook, even as many of his teammates went down the hill for a little rest.

“I don’t want to make a bunch of mistakes,” Kolb said, but he admitted he’d rather make them now than later.

– Andre Roberts is the No. 2 receiver, Whiz said. But “everybody wants to talk about the No. 2 receiver and we don’t really get caught up in the No. 2. We run so many different packages where we use three receivers or even four receivers and there are a lot of times we tailor special packages to fit the individual strengths of the receivers. There could be different games where it is a different player because we feel that’s the best fit for what we are trying to get done.”

– Whiz talked about how “daunting” the task is to play a game with so much yet undone. They were just trying to explain how the “hands” team works on kickoff returns this morning, something they would have covered long ago at a more leisurely way had they had an entire offseason.  He’s not worried too much about Kolb though. “It’s not like he’ll be wide-eyed,” Whisenhunt said. “He’s been through this before.”

– He noted the major competition that will be going on at most positions. Like I noted yesterday, that first depth chart only means so much.

– Whisenhunt said he has seen what S Rashad Johnson can do in the nickel and dime packages. Now, with Adrian Wilson on the shelf, Whisenhunt wants to see how Johnson performs in Wilson’s place on first- and second-down base packages.

Tags: , , , ,

33 Responses to “Talk around the lunchroom”

1. By MIKE G on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren –I think the football around the league will be sloppy and full of penalties throughout the NFL. Teams just have not been able to prepare and will not be sharp. The main thing I worry about in these games are injuries. Do you think Whiz will be very basic in his play calling especially in the first couple games???

2. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

You’d have to think that since the Oakland A’s will be at home the following night that the baseball diamond will become a factor as far as footing Thursday.
    Can see it now: Close game, AZ leading, OAK driving and with the game on the line….

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Playcalling

Yes, I’d expect it to be simple.

4. By ProSportsPhoenix on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Protecting The Nest! You mean buy a ticket for a practice game at full price? Uh, no!

Why don’t the Bidwills cut the price of tickets in half (preseason) and promote the games as for the kids. The kids don’t care that they are practice games and would fill the stadium. Do something for the community that has done so much for you.

If the NFL does not allow this, than stop asking for an 18 game schedule. Pas de touché.

5. By Seth on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Darren – How have our second string OLBs (Sam Acho and O’Brien Schoefield) looked so far in camp? Are they showing the potential to substantially improve our pass rush in the future?

6. By Jswizzle on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

What is your prediction for the Cardinals wins and loss considering we have a favorable schedule? I see us going 9-7 8-8 maybe even 10-6 if we win the games we are suppose to win.

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

seth —

RE: Pass rushers

I need to see how they are in a game first.

8. By Kevin on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Which of the Cardinal’s non-rookies retain practice squad eligibility?

Thanks, Kevin

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Kevin —

RE: Practice squad

I’d have to look that up. I think anyone who has been active for nine NFL games is no longer eligible.

10. By Kevin on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Thanks. I thought that was the rule (at least under the old CBA). I was going to make a run at looking it up myself, but thought you might already know and save me the trouble.

Kevin

Kevin –

RE: Practice squad

11. By CJ on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

darren

do you think that the fans expectations for peterson are just a little to high for his rookie season?

12. By Scott H on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Can’t help wondering if the Kolb haters are gonna jump all over him if he doesn’t plat well Thurs night…Come September, the games will start counting and no one will want to hear excuses. But come Thurs night, the man will have not even had one week of practice in a Cardinals uniform, so I hope people can remember that.

Heck, ALL of these pre-season games are gonna be interesting – and potentially very sloppy even by preseason standards – given the lack of practice and preparation everyone has NOT had.

13. By Mark M on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren what number is Demarco Sampson?

14. By Scott H on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Just wondering when this deal for Fitzgerald is going to get done….

15. By Jzoully on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Is there a competition between Sam Acho and Clark Haggans?

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

CJ —

RE: PP

I don’t know. You have to ask the fans.

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Mark M —

RE: Sampson

89.

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: haggans/Acho

Probably. But Acho has a lot to prove, even if Haggans is near the end of his career.

19. By joe on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

is duce really really out ofshape, in one of the videos he looks real heavy and breathing realy realy hard, i thought he was going to choke on air when he tried to breath. i am sadden to see duce like that, it feels alittle like he cares not of his position thus for the team. troubling cuz he will be gaurding kolb and we all know what the line did last year with 3 qbs gettin tagged from poor play of the line. Kolb and concussions are a bad thing and we will be up the creek if that line is not the best part of the 2011 Cardinals Team.

20. By joe on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

also better blocking from the backs. Pretty much the basics need to be key this year…

21. By cardsalltheway on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Even with the WR(Evans) talk from the Bills that’s going on, I still say we have good enough WR’s and think with what Ken W. said they should suffice as long as no one gets hurt. I expect some break out seasons by Doucet, Stucky, Roberts, and Stephen Williams, etc…, if Ken W. can actually use them as he says.

22. By cardsalltheway on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Scott,
    Are there really Kolb haters, I’m not. But, I will say he’s not much of an over the top thrower. It seems he throws a bit off to the side, almost side arm which could cause passes to be blocked and prevent him from throwing further.

23. By Tbru on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

After the Marlins open their new stadium in the spring, is Oakland the last baseball stadium still used by the NFL? It will be good when they are all gone.

24. By Scott H on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

Well, we’ll see. I can tell you that I have seen him go “over the top” in some of the games he played for the Eagles, so…he can do it. Don’t forget, Kolb was drafted to replace Donovan McNabb in Philly and it was their confidence in Kolb that led to McNabb being traded to Washington. Andy Reid is recognized as a great evaluator of talent at the QB position and kolb was the guy they wanted to replace what was – at the time – the best QB in their history. That says something. No one could have seen Michael Vick coming last year but he played at a near-MVP level. THAT is why Kolb became available. The people who think that the Eagles wanted to “get rid” of Kolb have no idea what they’re talking about.

25. By cards62 on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Scott H.

We are just praying Kolb does not get injured the first game by our OL missing blocks. Darren has been writing some nice articles but I have not read any yet where he is praising an offensive linemans blocking. Hope to read that article soon Darren ha ha.

I think I have already read about more nice pass plays this preseason than I did about preseason all of last year.

Kolb almost gets a complete pass the first 2 games. Only thing I will fault him for is if he makes poor decisions throwing the ball into coverage.

Go Cards a little over 24 hours to football.

26. By Scott H on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

In regard to the WR position…man, I sure hope you are right about somebody breaking out to help this team. But I am very nervous about this. After Fitz on the depth chart, there is NOTHING that constitutes a sure thing. And we don’t just need a #2 – we need a #3 as well!!! Again, water under the bridge, but I would have so prefered that they had someone even SOMEWHAT proven to pencil at #2 so we could worry about one of the young guys making a contribution at #3. This position scares me. AND as we saw last year, there is always a HUGE difference between practice or the 2nd half of a pre-season game and the REAL games that count. As we stand now, I think we are too young, too in-experienced, and too thin. Given his track record, it seems more likely that Doucet will be hurt than healthy. I know that sounds negative to some, but…it’s based in reality.

27. By cards62 on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Scott H.

I hate to get your hopes up especially since Mr. Graves has been AWOL the past week and a half, but reports are coming out that we and the Ravens are talking to the Bills about a trade for Lee Evans. Does not seem like Buffalo wants too much and Evans is under contract thru 2012. I would love this move because Evans at 30 is still very fast and can open things up for FItz and others. I wanted Teddy Ginn for the same reason, but Evans would be much better (hands). He did not have the greatest season last year, but Buffalo weather is tough and his QB play is not the best. My opinion Evans is a player without drama and over 7 seasons has averaged over 50 catches 800 yards, and 6 TDs, former first round pick. The man is a player and this will make Kobb to FItz so much easier. I like some of the young pups we have, but for me this will be sweet if we make it happen.

Go Cards

28. By cardsalltheway on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

I haven’t seen enough of Kolb to say exactly, but how would you say Kolb throws the ball, maybe at 10 o’clock like Rivers…?
    “For a righthander, the arm position at delivery ranges from nine o’clock to noon. Unitas threw at high noon, as does Manning. Brees throws three quarters, and at the back of his delivery, he turns his left palm directly away from the target before snapping his body forward. Patriots Tom Brady is about 11 o’clock. Rivers throws at 10 o’clock, but he gets there differently, dragging the ball out to the side of his body, rather than from behind his ear. Bradshaw often threw off his back foot, with a pronounced wrist snap. The Eagles’ Michael Vick also throws with his wrist. “More wrist in his throw than anybody I’ve ever seen,” says Schaub, who backed up Vick for three seasons in Atlanta.”

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Kolb motion

It doesn’t seem as pronounced as Rivers, but there is no question there are times when Kolb seems to come across with his throws lower than, say, Warner did.

30. By cardsalltheway on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

I think that would help with screen passes, something DA wasn’t very good at. Check this out…
    During his apprenticeship with the Cowboys from 2003 to ’05, Tony Romo would practice throwing from all manner of odd angles, trying to prepare himself to use varied release points during games.

I guess it’s all about being ABLE to throw in whatever way the situation dictates.

31. By cardsalltheway on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

I’m living abroad where placing bets online are regulated differently than the states. Does anyone know of any such websites which are better than others?

I’ve got my ‘GamePass’ so I’ll be watching the game against the Raiders LIVE from abroad.

32. By clssylssy on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

Try as I may get away from the media, it seems unavoidable to a football junkie, and they are not being kind to the Cardinals, even going so far as quoting Larry’s dad inferring that Fitz it about to jump ship for the Vikings, This has been a horrendous year for football fans and I would think that the Bidwells would be so grateful to fans they could be generous enough to at least “discount” the preseason games, not only to fill the stands but to show fans that we aren’t as terrible as the analysts have us made out to be…doesn’t help when we get reports from camp from Coach W. as to how bad we look, even though I personally appreciate his honesty. Since preseason is just sort of “practice” and doesn’t mean anything (except psychologically) I would hope Skelton and Hall would get to play while Kolb is still learning the playbook, Anybody who gets paid as much as Kolb, is going to be expected to be take us to the SB and it would be ashamed to have him sidelined in the first game (cringe at the thought). Also we do need a Vet WR since Fitz can’t be expected to be a one man band, and there is talent out there. As much as I have been against TO because of his history, he is an undeniable talent and I think Whisenhunt is just the guy who could keep him reined in…plus he is desperate to play which would work well for us pricewise, as well as a factor in his personal conduct contract. We have enough guys in the locker room (DD, Fitz,Wilson,Rhodes) that might be a positive influence and he doesn’t have the baggage as Brylon Edwards,,,just saying. Sure hate to see ALL the injuries around the league but what could we expect when the players were locked out? It would seem like Deuce has an eating disorder and so why hasn’t that been considered?

2. Aug 10, 2011: Around the NFC West: Kolb’s extra reps at hoops227.org