Back to practice in Flag

Posted by Darren Urban on August 14, 2011 – 7:19 pm

Sunday afternoon the Cardinals got back on the field for the first time since the Oakland game. It was, coach Ken Whisenhunt said during his lunchtime presser, a chance to go over the mistakes the Cards made against the Raiders.

What was noticeable in the work that just lasted over an hour (in the Walkup Skydome, after it rained — hard — most of the afternoon) was the intensity that crept in by the final 11-on-11 work.

“The energy was pumped up,” defensive tackle Darnell Dockett said. “I think everybody knows where we are about to go this week.”

That’s Green Bay for those who aren’t sure, and the defending champs will be playing a game at Lambeau for the first time since winning the Super Bowl. Preseason or no, that’ll be a big deal. So it wasn’t a surprise when the volume got loud, when tight end Jeff King and linebacker Paris Lenon scuffled (tight end Stephen Spach as peacemaker and not instigator? Imagine that). The offense went crazy when running back Ryan Williams juked and broke an ankle or two (not literally, for anyone concerned) to get loose down the field. The defense did the same when safety Matt Ware came from centerfield for a nice on-the-run interception and return.

Some other moments/notes:

– Didn’t seem to be any changes on the depth chart. That’s not a shock right now. One game does not an evaluation make.

– RB LaRod Stephens-Howling did a good job blocking linebacker O’Brien Schofield on a blitz pick-up.

– RB Beanie Wells made a fantastic one-handed catch — left-handed — in traffic.

– CB Patrick Peterson did a good job ranging over to make a leaping interception at one point.

– Learning from mistakes was one thing QB Kevin Kolb kept stressing. He showed it tangibly Sunday. One play Andre Roberts beat Greg Toler deep on what looked like a skinny post, but Kolb didn’t get enough air under the ball and over threw Roberts. A couple plays later, same scenario, except Larry Fitzgerald was the receiver. This time, Kolb put it on the money.

– Speaking of Roberts, that he got open deep was to be noted, especially with all the wonder/speculation about the Cards “needing” a No. 2 receiver. Both Kolb and Whisenhunt said after the Raiders game Roberts got open deep a couple of times, just that the passes didn’t work out. That’ll be something I’m sure everyone will be watching going forward.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Back to practice in Flag”

1. By Paul H on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

I watched replay . Concerned that each of our lines #1 units didn’t win the physical battles as I saw it. OAK defense stuffed our O-Line and our D-Line didn’t get any push on Oakland. Yes it is first pre-season game. But that’s also true for Oakland. I think it’s a concern

2. By Blair on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

why do i always see docket being called a tackle when he plays end more than anything else. or am i going crazy?

3. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Though a paid team beat writer you don’t travel with the team, correct?
    Have you ever visited the NFL Shrine, Lambeau Field?

4. By Andre on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

“RB LaRod Stephens-Howling did a good job blocking linebacker O’Brien Schofield on a blitz pick-up.”

*FACEPALM* We’re doomed…really…

Darren, will the Cards be in Flagstaff in the remaining preseason? Or is it just for this week?

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Blair —

RE: Dockett

He is called a tackle by the team so I will continue to call him a tackle. But it is a fair point.

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Travel

Actually, I usually do travel with the team. Now, anyway. When I worked for a newspaper, I did not. I was covering the team for the East Valley Tribune when the Cards visited Lambeau in 2006, when Brett Favre did his one and only Lambeau Leap.

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Andre —

RE: Flagstaff

They are in Flag this week and next.

8. By kyle on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

hey darren,

you think kolb will progress enough were he could have a breakout year for us?

9. By wes on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

darren, maybe its spachs surfer dude hair and stache that has calmed him down. by the way how does he look in camp so far? look to make the team? blocks looked good in oak.

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Kyle —

RE: Kolb

I think that’s the hope. If I knew for sure, I’d head to Vegas right now.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Wes —

RE: Spach

He does have a new look. Sometimes tells me his game hasn’t changed though — he likes and needs to play with that edge. As far as a roster spot, I could see them keeping four TEs.

12. By Jesse Robles on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Daryl Washington is a beast!! Out plays Dansby and will be better than Dansby this season.

13. By Logan cooper on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Jesse your man crush on Washington is worrying me. :)

My main concern is Kolb having enough time for plays to develop. A couple of those plays he could have gone to the check down but tucked it and ran it. (I think fears of being compared to leinart were blaring in his head)

The D looked just about what I’d expect with no offseason and a new DC. We gotta have a pass rush in order for our defense to be great this year.

14. By John the draft guy on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Channel 3 reported (Paul cavisi ?) that it was doucet who got deep and whiz and kolb admitted missing him. Who was it Roberts or doucet?

Watching the game on NFL network. The 4th down run on goal line, colledge was blown into the backfield to disrupt the play. On third down he was put on his back also. Little disappointing. I heard run blocking is not his strength .

Also Darren, pp came over for the int. From where? You are not going to tell me he was playing safety are you?

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Questions

1) Kolb said Andre. I don’t remember the play myself.
    2) Peterson was playing cornerback. He won’t be at safety anytime soon, if at all.

16. By John AC on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Could the cardinals bring in randall gay for competition at cb? Hes done well when he played for NO and NE.

17. By cardsalltheway on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

“Pressuring the Passer” and this from Horton…“I know schematically it works,” Horton said.

Boy, that doesn’t sound very assuring. In other words, do we have the people to get it done? I hope so!

18. By cardsalltheway on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

From…”A Nose Under the Right Conditions”
    Dockett said…“I had a long conversation with him, and it’s funny, I only had to have one conversation,” he’s in here twice a day with cardio, he runs after practice extra every day. He don’t even complain, because he knows what he has to do…,”
    Is that how teachers teach English these days? A)did B)didn’t C)doesn’t D)didn’t E)don’t – and (to make it more difficult ~ a 6th choice)…F)dude

Even though one of our rookies didn’t score very well on the wonderlic test, he seems as though he’s a good speaker. I haven’t heard him speak much, but from what I’ve heard so far, I’m somewhat impressed.

Dan Williams said…”You can’t really look for the ball because you’ll get driven back.” So, that’s why I usually see opposing teams NT’s driving forward against us!
    ”It is clear Whisenhunt believes Peterson will get there, though, in large part because of his confidence.”
    I just hope Ken W. doesn’t mess up his confidence!

19. By Dave on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

“One game does not an evaluation make.”

Darren, are you goin Yoda on us?

20. By Jesse Robles on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Logan, I love me some Daryl Washington. He was and will continue to be everywhere the ball is while he is in the game. You haven’t heard too much from him in camp, but once the game comes, they don’t stop saying his name and showing his replays. Him as a gunner is a great idea too btw.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

John AC —

RE: CB

I think they like their depth at CB right now. Don’t see them adding at the position.

22. By Kaleb on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

“The offense went crazy when running back Ryan Williams juked and broke an ankle…”

Thats messed up darren, can’t be doing that to me I have heart conditions.

23. By Jesse Robles on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I like how people BLAST Rashad Johnson for his pass interference against a Fullback, but ADUB cant guard a TE either. Gets burned by Vernon Davis every game, and couldn’t gaurd Olsen against the Bears if it saved his life. Its pre season, lets wait til the regular season where ADub will get burned and now blame it on his torn Bicep. If it hurts the team he better sit out. Tired of hearing excuses. Deff need to draft a Safety soon for ADUB’s replacement.

24. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Lambeau Field will be sold out – guaranteed.

25. By JT on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I’m starting to get the feeling that Jesse R isn’t high on Adrian Wilson..Maybe it’s because he probably only watched the Bears and 49’ers games..?

26. By Logan Cooper on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Rashad didn’t even get burned, if he would would have just turned his head there would have been no flag. Example, AJ Jefferson later in the game had twice as much contact on his receiver butt had his head turned toward the ball: No Flag.

Jesse, JT, don’t forget him getting scorched by SHOCKEY in the playoffs when shockey had a screwed up ankle.

I pray for the day when we put ADUB in the box and bring in a corner (Peterson or Marshall) to cover the TE to make up for his lack of pass coverage.

I love ADUB but I’ve accepted pass coverage isn’t his strong suit.

27. By Jesse Robles on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Agreed Logan, I like Adub a lot. He is a beast, he just cannot cover. JT it seems like you only watched those 2 games if you think those were the only times he was burned. It wasn’t just last season. Season ticket holder here, I watch every game. I am high on him, when he is healthy and when he isn’t he takes himself out of the game. I just dont like hurting the team because you can’t play, then bringing up the ab injury. He isn’t in his 20’s, I am saying draft a Safety because, remember how good Bob Sanders was in Indy? A neck injury and 2 Torn Biceps later and he is gone, who was his replacement? I just hope Adub can stay healthy, 2 seasons in a row with injuries…he doesn’t have time to waste.