• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

The attitude works for Whiz

Posted by Darren Urban on August 15, 2011 – 12:21 pm

Coach Ken Whisenhunt talked about how intense the practice was yesterday afternoon. Earlier, during our newest podcast Ron Wolfley was talking about how he was impressed because normally the first practice back after a couple of days off can be sluggish or lethargic. Sunday was certainly anything but that. “The challenge is to maintain that intensity.” Quarterback Kevin Kolb echoed that, talking about how crisp the work was but that the Cards “have to keep pressing.”

Defensive tackle Darnell Dockett did note the difference between last year and this year. “We don’t complain about nothing,” Dockett said. “We run every day. First time ever we ran after the conditioning test. We had the conditioning test and then went to practice and still did conditioning. No one complained one time. We were like ‘Alright coach, whatever you want us to do’ That’s what it’s about. I feel like last year we worked hard to get to a certain level but I felt a lot of guys didn’t buy into the program and do everything that was (needed). Now we have the right attitude to go and work.”

Whisenhunt didn’t want to get into comparing any difference, however. “Let’s not color our judgment for last year based on a 5-11 season,” he said. “That’s the easy thing to do. Our guys worked hard last year in camp. We had some things not go the way we wanted to in season, but I’m not going to get into how we felt last year in camp compared to how we feel this year. When we get to the season, if we win football games, that’s the only thing that matters.”

– Whiz said WR Max Komar (groin) should be back at practice today. Tight end Todd Heap (thumb) is sore and won’t be rushed back. The rehab for CB Michael Adams (knee surgery) and S Adrian Wilson (biceps) is going well, but Whiz wasn’t putting any timetable on a return.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

41 Responses to “The attitude works for Whiz”

1. By Trevor on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Heap is hurt already and he won’t practice because he’s “sore”? This guy is a Sally. If this is at all indicative of this season for him, what a waste of money and hype.

2. By D on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I think the Cards missed out in FA regarding another big need and that is at Off Tackle. I think L. Brown should have been moved back to the right side, give Keith more time to learn as a backup and they should have gone out to sign Jared Gaither. Granted he had some health issues in the past, but he spent all last year healing…I think Whiz will have to keep J. King next to Mr. Brown all year to help out…

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Trevor –

RE: Heap thumb

Lot of anger there for some reason. He’d play if it was the regular season. No reason right now.

4. By D on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Hopefully they can get Larry’s deal done soon and work it so it will save more cap space on this year’s cap-because if C. Campbell starts the season off well, then they better get a new deal ready…hard to believe he is only making $930k this year…

5. By MIKE G on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Nice podcast with Wolf. How does Early Doucet look to you so far? It is a big year for him to step up. Injuries have plagued him and it would be nice to see him improve after that performance against the Pack in the playoffs. That game should have given him some confidence to grow as a receiver . Id like to see him secure the no 3 receiver spot! Your thoughts???

6. By John the draft guy on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

ADub,
    Just be back for week one. We need you big fella badly.

Trevor,
    Really?? A 10 year, probowl vet needs to rush back for preseason? Heap will know the playbook and be ready to go. Let him be completely healthy come Carolina.

7. By Jesse on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@Trevor

It’s preseason, why risk further injury??

@Darren

Chances of Bridges starting?

8. By jason on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Just wondering if there is any competition at the tackle positions or are they set in stone. I know Whisenhunt has said that all positions are open after last season but there never seems to be any news about the position other than complaints that the starters are not good enough. Just wondering if there is any news that contain facts and not just speculations and opinions.

Thanks for the great coverage.

9. By Trevor on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

He made mistakes in the game and I can’t imagine he knows the offense yet so there seems to be a reason for him to practice and play. He has nothing but injury problems and look how he started already. So yeah, I think it was a waste when they could have gone after someone that isn’t injured all the time. Now he misses time because he’s “sore” and there is no reason to practice yet he makes mistakes in the redzone? garbage

10. By joe67 on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Trevor,
    No, never mind. That statement about Heap doesn’t even merit a response!!

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Doucet

I think he’s looked fine, but he’s looked good in camp before. Let’s see what happens in the regular season.

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Jesse –

RE: Bridges

I think he could have a shot. They’d like to see Keith develop however.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Jason –

RE: Tackles

I think Bridges could find his way in there, maybe if Keith falters. I don’t see them replacing Levi.

14. By joelz on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

No reason right now? Are we talking about practice? Who needs practice? Practice is not a game so i guess its not important.
    Agree with Trevor, this team has had enough candy on it. All that has happened with the lock-out and the fans then seeing the depth of the league and its players, these guys need to step up to anouther level of play and “Practice”.
    How do you get to Carnagie Hall? Practice. How do you stay at Carnagy Hall? Practice.
    Same goes for the NFL., which i expect alot out of this year and moving forward if i am to stay a fan.

15. By JT on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

It seems like every year 9-0 sounds a bit more mature. I have a good feeling he’s going to grow into a nice, strong leader of the defense. I know Dockett has always been a strong personality but I’m not so sure how well that translated to leadership in the locker room or the field. I can tell there are some good characters on this team but I still can’t help but sense that this defense needs that strong Ray Lewis type to amp up the intensity, or down to keep perspective on things. It’s the little details I feel that get mostly overlooked without those kinds of guys around. I’m not sure why but I suspect DC Rpy Horton Gets all of that. I’v always felt kinda wary of Clancy and Davis but somehow I feel non of that hesitancy with Horton.

16. By schmatty on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Trevor really dude? Fact of the matter is heaps the best TE the cards have had in a long while. And you’d rather see him risk further injuries and miss games that actually matter? Come on man!

17. By SteveDCO on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Darren – I’m not as worried about the tackels as I am about the guards.

Has there been any rotation of who is running with the ones? I would assume Duece will get back but not sure if Colledge is the answer from the little work he got in game #1.

18. By azfan81 on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

How is Will Davis doing in camp? I see he is third on the depth chart for olb. I thought Davis would be battling for a starting position. He started last yr but got injured. Any news on him?

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

SteveDCO –

RE: Guards

Colledge and Hadnot remain the starters right now.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

azfan81 –

RE: Will Davis

He is behind Haggans and Acho right now, and I think he will stay there for the time being.

21. By azfan81 on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

When you say the time being, will he be 3rd string olb for the year behind haggans and acho? Has he recovered from his injury?

22. By Javi on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

darren, do you believe the cards will look to get any positions in free agency at all, remember TERREL OWENS and DARREN SHARPE are still avaliable

23. By Eric on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

@ Trevor and Joelz, you guys don’t get it. The man is a true veteran, he is too valuable to risk further injury. Should guys just play until they are crippled? What good does that do the team? Candy’s and Sally’s? Lets see you two clowns go play before you call anyone names. In fact, why don’t both of you go root for the cowgirls, they love bandwagon fans like you two. You either are in or out as a fan. Good or bad, why don’t you trust people that clearly know more than you two to make important decisions.

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. By Peter in Canada on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Trevor – What do you think about Wilson? Shouldn’t he be playing through his injuries? A torn bicep, hell he’s a bloody sissy. He still has one arm.

25. By cards>niners on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

if the cards don’t sign fitz soon im going to go crazy

26. By Scott H on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Anyone -

RE: Heap

I don’t think the issue is whether he is practicing or not RIGHT NOW or risking injury by practicing RIGHT NOW. Sorry to say but with Heap, injury isn’t a matter of if – it’s a matter of when. The guy has been injury prone over the last several seasons and, well…how often do you see players become LESS injury prone as they get older??? We’ll see how this plays out but it’s likely Heap is going to miss time at some point. Which is why we need King and / or Housler to be equally up to the task. I swear, seeing Zach Miller going to Seattle is just such a kick in the you-know-whats!!! Ugh. I’d rather have one no-doubt-about-it than a bunch of maybees.

27. By georgiebird on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Everyone should listen to Dan Bickley-AZ Republic. The guy knows as much as anyone about the Cardinals. His comments are grounded in reality- he’s a fair guy.

28. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Would the guys that “didn’t buy into the system” last season be players that are no longer with the team and/or some who’ve had a change of heart?

29. By cards62 on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Trevor Trevor Trevor

Steve here, President of the Todd Heap Fan Club.
    Would I have liked Zach Miller – yes, my opinion a younger Todd Heap.
    Would I have liked Kyle Rudolph TE ND – yes and even last year Hernandez out of Florida, but after all the marginal TE we have had for over what 25 years, and we finally get a TE that knows how to play the game and you wish to run him out of town in the preseason? Are you related to one of our TEs present or past?
    Lets give Mr. Heap 4 games in September before we pass judgement and I think you and the rest of us will be very happy with Todd Heap.

Other posters good comments on the OL. I know we missed the boat in the offseason and it will hurt us this year. I just hope it does not cost us a QB or two.

I think we should have also picked up a solid second receiver. Lee Evans would have been great in my opinion, but like QB where we all had our favorites. I think most of us just wished the Cardinals would have at least picked up someone.

I also wanted a nose tackle and outside LB.

Honestly Darren and Cardinal fans where has Rod Graves been these past 2 weeks? Can someone check his office and make sure he is not sleeping under his desk or on a cruise ship sailing around the world.

Go Cards!

30. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

azfan81 –

RE: Will Davis

He has recovered. Can he surpass Acho? I think Sam would have to really struggle and Davis will have to show a lot.

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Javi –

RE: FA

Again, and I have said this many times, I don’t think the door is closed. But I don’t think they are chasing anyone in particular and I don’t see them taking aging players like Owens or Sharper.

32. By cardsfan007 on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Has there been any significant progress made with Fitzgerald’s contract situation?

33. By John the draft guy on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

cards62;
    Just heard a great interview with Coach Whiz with MJ. He explained why they didn’t grab Lee Evens in detail. Part of the reason is Fitz is our X receiver. Our Z receiver is the spot everyone wants filled. Yet, in our offense, the Z is asked to block down on the safeties and run crossing routes underneath. Lee Evens is not a Z receiver. Whiz sees him as an X, therefore , not fitting what they need. He went on to say that no one had faith in Breaston in 07. By 08, he was playing a major role. He compared this to Roberts, Doucet and Williams. He also said he may use a couple of guys to fill the role.

Darren, that was one of the better interviews I have heard. I don’t know how it works and if you all are friends, but is it possible for you to somehow post that interview? Sorry, if that sounds a little crazy. I guess I view you guys (MJ, Bickley, Kent, and others) on the same team.

34. By azfan81 on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Do you think Davis could be on the bubble? With Porter/Schofield on ROLB and Haggans/Acho LOLB. Where does Davis fit? I noticed the cards kept three OLB at the start of last season and kept a roster spot for Schofield.

35. By Mrmobius on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

If he doesn’t already, Early should take up yoga. He looked very stiff spining out of the tackel against the raiders. Flexibilty can take strength to the next level and prevent injury really well.

36. By Michael on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Would they ever consider moving Bradley to the outside as a pass rusher with Lenon and Washington inside… Porter or Haggans on the bench????

37. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

cardsfan007 –

RE: Fitz

With a contract, I’ll say the same thing that I did with Dockett. It’s either done or not done. To me, there is no “progress.” It’s not complicated, seeing that the Cards are willing to pay him the money he wants.

38. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy –

RE: Interview

Yes, I consider MJ a friend, but no, that’s not going to happen.

And actually, I tweeted the same concept about Breaston over the weekend to people insisting there has to be a different No. 2.

39. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

azfan81 –

RE: Davis

Yes, I think Davis could be on the bubble.

40. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Michael –

RE: Bradley

I could see him playing there at times, but not permanently.

41. By cards62 on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

John the Draft Guy

That you for the reply. It was educational and I see the points being made, and I hope I am wrong and our young pups all turn out to be Steve Breason’s for us, but me personally I would have picked up an experience guy for insurance and to make Fitz. more productive. Fitz is great and has good wheels but he is not a burner. Lee Evans could have replaced Steve B. as our burner, and he commands coverage.
    Steve Breaston was a very good Cardinal and I wish he was still here, but I do understand why we did not match KC offer. Lets all remember Breason breakout season we had the 3 amigos including Boldin, and now we just have 1 amigo left.
    Heap will help with coverage and Housler is having a nice start so I hope everything works out for our team.

Kevin Kolb was not my first choice or second based upon his cost, but I tell you he is exciting me for the 2011 season and I just wanted to give him that one more target and especially someone who could stretch the field for us.

My biggest concern on offense remains our offensive line both run and pass blocking so I could give up my second receiver if I saw us spending money to upgrade our line.

Go Cards