• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Two truths and a lie

Posted by Darren Urban on August 15, 2011 – 10:43 am

New defensive coordinator Ray Horton lost a lot by not getting to work with his players this offseason, but it wasn’t just about teaching schemes and getting on-field reps. Horton also lost a chance to get to know the players, always a key when you are a coach — knowing what it takes to motivate a guy.

So every night at meetings, Horton picks three players to stand up and announce three statements about themselves. Two are true. One is false. The rest of the group has to pick out the false statement.

“Some guys come up with some good lies, some guys come up with funny ones, sometimes you can’t tell which one is a lie at all,” defensive end Calais Campbell said. “It’s kinda cool. It’s a good bonding experience. It’s like bein a kid again, going to summer camp.”

Campbell’s favorite “lie” came from nose tackle Dan Williams. “Everyone was coming up with serious lies and he hit us that was was a vegitarian,” Campbell said. “We were laughing so hard. No one was expecting that.”

There is a purpose, though. Horton uses it as a tool to discover who he is dealing with.

“I am trying to learn their personalities along with their faces and their names,” Horton said. “I am trying to learn everything in a five-week period. Who to coddle, who to push. Green Bay, Pittsburgh, they don’t have to do that. … They are learning to trust me, I am learning to trust them.”

Tags: , ,

21 Responses to “Two truths and a lie”

1. By David Corcoran on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

How about you have a try Darren?

2. By in fitz we trust on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

so with horton being a db coach, i have a feeling out dline an linebackers arent gonna play much different than last year. that preseason game against the raiders,granted it is only one game, but our d line was very suspect, and like always we got ran allover, an it wasnt even there starting rb. i hope the years working with lebeau will rub off on his defensive coaching as a whole. an darren anyword on how townsend is developing with coaching?

3. By Phoenixraven1 on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I think Horton will be great! Defense will probably be upper level next year with a full year under belt with Cards and more than likely heavy defensive draft in 2012…

4. By Jzoully on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I wasn’t very impressed with Greg Toler, but I did like what A.J. Jefferson did. If you were to say that Patrick Peterson or Richard Marshall are closing in on the starting job, what percentage are they at? 60/40, 50/50, or 70/30?

5. By Steve on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Horton is a smart man, and Williams eats everything!!

(Vegetarian? That IS funny!)

6. By Rich on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I like this guy, Horton.

7. By Rich on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

We all like what the Cards have done. But the questions still remain:
    Stretching the field with a speed receiver, and pass rush. Are we correct in assuming no significant personnel moves in these regard between now and start of the season.
    ps…………….good articles you’ve written this past week

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

In Fitz –

RE: Townsend

Seems like it is going well. Hard to tell right now.

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully –

RE: Starting CBs

I have no idea of a percentage. Not even sure I’d say they are closing in.

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Rich –

RE: No more moves

I won’t say that. Things can happen. Not sure there is anyone left out there who is “significant” to bring in.

11. By John the draft guy on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Two Truths and a lie;

Kolb will show AZ fans he is the real deal.

Our WRs will develop into a strength of our team

Levi Brown and Brandon Kieth will do good enough in pass protection.

OK, we will have to wait to see if any of that is true but I wonder which one is perceived to be the lie?

12. By Eric on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I really hope the Raiders game was not indicative of the Line play on both sides we will see. I’m hoping they were keeping it vanilla and not showing much, but it still made me cringe to see the RB’s running through the line along with Kolb not having much time to throw. In Whiz we trust, right? I guess we’ll see more the next game and the third, but the usual 4th pre-season game no starters playing is what I’m predicting.

GO CARDS!!!!!!

13. By Peter in Canada on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

John the Draft Guy – I think #3 is the lie. I am surprised we didn’t get a high profile tackle during F.A. But maybe Whiz and Graves don’t think #3 is the lie. I’m sure they don’t think #1 is the lie cosidering the price they paid for KK. So I think Whiz/Graves would vote that #2 is the lie.

14. By Scott H on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I have a good feeling about Horton, as well. After Kolb, he might just be the best gain we made this off-season.

15. By CZarr on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Oh man, Dan Williams has a sense of humor too? That had me laughing just reading it. I can only imagine what it was like actually hearing it.

16. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Sorry Darren, but I’m going to beat this horse until it becomes a 12 ounce bottle of Elmer’s glue:
    The first play blitz “promise” didn’t happen vs. the Raiders, unless you count the delayed rush (think it was Washington).
    Have you asked Horton about it? Seems trivial, but you have to take a man at his word.

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Blitz

I don’t remember. Ron Wolfley said it was a cover-zero blitz, however.

18. By Logan Cooper on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Andystandsup,
    My guess on the first call being a blitz, would be that Horton was probably referring to the regular season.

Regardless, the lack of pass rush made have nightmares that night of Billy Davis squinting his eyes at the playbook acting like he was calling actual defensive plays.

19. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

Sorry for being obtuse, but isn’t a cover zero blitz when both safeties rush the QB?
    That’s the way I understood it and from what I saw Saturday, only the LB (Washington?) came on a delayed blitz.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Cover Zero

You are right. And again, I don’t remember the play (and didn’t keep the DVR).

21. By Tim on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@ JZoully and Darren-

What part of Toler’s game are you not impressed with? He finished SECOND on the team in tackles last year, and opposing offenses targeted AWAY from him 75% of the time, as did Oakland in the preseason game.

Toler is the only defensive back that isn’t afraid to lay the smack down. In this new 3-4 defense, he will flourish. Please quit pretending to understand football schemes and stick to getting autographs.