A night at Coconino

Posted by Darren Urban on August 16, 2011 – 11:31 pm

The Cardinals held their one night practice of camp at Coconino High School. It was a little different than the ones of last season. With only a few days before the next preseason game, coach Ken Whisenhunt didn’t do a live goal line session at the end. In fact, there was no tackling. The practice ended with a series of plays starting at the 10-yard line with first-and-goal, but it was tough to tell exactly what would have happened — linebacker Clark Haggans was particularly vocal in protesting where the ball was spotted.

– Linebacker Joey Porter was sitting out on a veteran’s day off. O’Brien Schofield is next on the depth chart behind Porter at ROLB, but it was rookie Sam Acho who was in Porter’s place Tuesday night. Interesting. Schofield is the guy who needs to make the big step forward as pass rusher this season. Although it might have been just to balance out the position — with Will Davis a LOLB, the Cards could go Acho-Schofield at ROLB and Haggans-Davis at LOLB.

– Tight end Stephen Spach (calf) and offensive lineman D.J. Young (knee) were also sitting out. So too was guard Deuce Lutui, for what I would expect to be a continuing conditioning issue.

– Cornerback Greg Toler made a nice interception in front of Larry Fitzgerald at the goal line, ripping the ball away from Fitz. (Fitz did make a spectacular Willie Mays-style over-the-head grab earlier in the practice, but really, that’s no surprise, not the way he makes the spectacular routine.)

– Wide receiver Isaiah Williams made a fantastic touchdown catch from John Skelton, making the grab in the back of the end zone just over the outstretched hand of cornerback Richard Marshall. Williams, who scored the game-winning touchdown in Oakland, has looked good in camp — one of many receivers that have shown well.

– One of those receivers, rookie DeMarco Sampson, pulled down a deep pass early in the practice despite good coverage by cornerback Marshay Green. Sampson needs to continue his work but he’s got a real shot to make this roster.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to “A night at Coconino”

1. By paul on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

do you think spach and young will play on friday

2. By marshay is the man on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Couple of questions for yu Darren.

What do yu think of Bartel? seems like he’s got a quick release.

Who’s the emergency kicker in case Feely goes down? I remember Hightower could kick but he’s gone.

3. By Secret on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Gee Darren, What a reporting day! How are your fingers and journalism brain holding up? :)

4. By Jerry on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Its great to hear about all the great practices and the bad ones to and that the players are learning from their mistakes. It all seems that the team is getting stronger together…

5. By yvonne ulvog on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

im really lookin forward to this yr…lotta talent..curious to see the line up??

6. By Adam on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

With all these young receivers impressing, who do you think will be the odd men out? Particularly interested in Chansi Stuckey – was his contract guaranteed or is he at legitimate risk of not making the roster?

7. By LB on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I know it’s early, but if you had to guess, who would be the odd man out at WR right now? Also, how many do you expect making the final roster?

Thanks ahead for the answer.

8. By Staff Sergeant TIm Roberts on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Man, I wish I was home to watch this! I was impressed with Max Halls 2 minute drill against LA last week. That says alot about both he and Skelton have come along since last year. I also like the competitiveness that I keep hearing about. Thats something we have lacked for a long time and need to continue to push as we continue to go forward. Man, with the possible weapons on offense and the defense growing into its own, hopefully this year we can get back to winning and put last year behind us and learn from it.

I havent been this excited (yeah I know its preseason, but so what!) in a while. Lets go big Red!!!!! Lets get it done this year!

9. By cardsalltheway on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

D. Dockett’s comment is much appreciated but his idea isn’t exactly original. Who woulda thunk that Ken W. doesn’t play fairly?

10. By joe67 on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren you do a great job. You make this one of the best web sites I have been on.
    How do you pronounce Coconino

11. By D on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

If Schofield doesn’t show anything against the Packers, they may need to pick up a vet after the next round of cuts for additional pass rushing need

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Paul —

RE: Spach/Young

No idea, to be honest.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Marshay —

RE: Bartel/emergency kicker

Bartel has looked better than I thought he would be. I do think he has a good shot at the No. 3 role. As for the kicker, that’s a good question. Hope we never have to find out.

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Adam —

RE: stuckey

He got a bonus, but I am sure it is nothing that makes him a lock to stay. I think there will be some tough choices at WR.

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

LB —

RE: WR

Again, I am not sure. I would think the Cards would probably keep six, and they probably have eight legit candidates. Fitz, Roberts, Doucet, S Williams are locks I’d think. Komar, Sampson, Stuckey and maybe I Williams in the mix.

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

joe67 —

RE: Pronunciation

Just like it looks: Co-co-KNEE-no

17. By Card's Refugee on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Is I. Williams practice squad eligible?

18. By D on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I wonder if the Cards should bring in Flozell Adams for a workout

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Card’s —

RE: I Williams

I believe he is, yes.

20. By cards62 on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren interesting you think that Early Doucet is a lock.

This does make me happy as I am hoping he will become our Q, but I have not heard his name much.

What have you seen this camp from Early that you like?

Thank you and you are doing a great job keeping up with all of our posts and all of your articles.

Go Cards beat the Pack and be injury free

21. By NICODEMUS THE PLANE LAND on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Offensive Line easy fix-

I know there is concern about the OL, but when you think about it the Colts
    don’t have a high profile OL either or a dominant run game and the last time I
    checked Peyton Manning isn’t what you would call fleet of foot or a mobile
    QB. But yet he’s one of the least sacked QB’s in the league.

So maybe the solution or remedy to the OL situation may depend on the playcalling. Short, quick, accurate throws like screen passes, shotgun,
    playaction (Deep) bootlegs etc, and the plays that require the QB to take
    seven step drops from center, should be used at a minimum especially in this
    situation where your OL maybe better run blockers than pass protectors.

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: Doucet

They have always liked Early’s play. It is his inability to stay on the field that has been the issue. He’ll get another year at least.

23. By brad oneill on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

darren that was a terrible phonetic translation ha ha ha it is supposed to be

ko-kuh-nee-no

or if you want to hear it click here

24. By azfan81 on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

How did OLB Will Davis look in practice? Glad to finally hear his name. I think Davis could be a big surprise.

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

azfan1 —

RE: Will Davis

He is plugging away. I think the lack of depth at OLB helps him in his quest to make the roster.

26. By azfan81 on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

How is Reggie Walker performing? Is there a battle between Walker and Sturdivant for the last ILB position?

27. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

azfan —

RE: Walker

I think Walker, like Quan, is going to be on the fringe up until the very end, and we will see how it plays out. For battles like that, the preseason games mean a lot.

28. By bluepitt on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

” veteran’s day off”!!!!!!!!!!
    What a joke, just like last year! When we had our SB run in 08 I remember Whiz making them Hit live in the rain over X-Mas.. And the last 2 years all I hear is ” veteran’s day off” Heard it like 1,000 times in last years camp!!!! How did that season turn out????? Now I’m hearing it again!
    Hay D…. Didn’t the players get enough time off during the lockout?????
    LOL!

29. By shannon robinson on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Lutui needs to play his way into shape. I’m a little taken aback that he wasn’t part of the night scrimmage – was that a negative incentive to show him he might not get to play at all this year? However I can’t imagine a tougher assignment than to spend a practice in fitness training one on one with John Lott. I have high hopes that Lutui works out of his 380 pound condition – I’d like to keep a couple polynesians on this team and there certainly aren’t many people as strong and tough as Tongans! I pity the poor guy he fell on at Oakland – out for the year, how heavy can you get?

30. By trent on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

coconino is far and i have a high school game against them.