Whiz talks about developing receivers

Posted by Darren Urban on August 16, 2011 – 4:47 pm

The subject of wide receivers came up again today with coach Ken Whisenhunt. Obviously this has been a constant topic during camp, although it’s been clear the Cards want to look at their young receivers and have faith in them. In fact, if there was any uncertainty of that, the idea that veteran Chansi Stuckey might have a hard time making this team with Andre Roberts, Early Doucet, Stephen Williams and right now, Max Komar and rookie DeMarco Sampson ahead of him speaks loudly to the situation.

Whisenhunt also spoke bluntly about it too.

“We ask our receivers to do so many different roles, and just to have guys that you can believe in to do it, that’s the purpose of building a team is,” Whisenhunt said. “That’s why you draft guys, that’s why you develop guys. At some point, they have to step in and play.

“It would be kind of counterproductive if we didn’t continue to try and bring in (young) receivers and develop them. I don’t understand what people think from the outside about how you build your football team. You don’t just go and get a receiver in free agency (every time) when you lose one. At some point, you’ve got to have young players that step in and play well.”

Whisenhunt pointed out Steve Breaston as an example of a receiver who showed promise in practice and the Cards leaned on him.

“At some point you have to put guys in the game and see if they can do it,” Whisenhunt said. “I have seen Andre make plays in games, I have seen Early make plays, Stephen Williams make plays. It’s not like it’s a complete unknown entity. Isaiah Williams (pictured below scoring against Oakland) has looked good, and I think we all know about Sampson and how he has performed. Everybody wants to beat the drum about a second receiver. I think we have some young receivers that I would like to see what they can do.”

Tags: , , , , , , ,

39 Responses to “Whiz talks about developing receivers”

1. By ProSportsPhoenix on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

touché

2. By fresh on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

ignorant fans thats the reason

3. By Brian on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Couldn’t agree more. Whiz has faith in these kids and sounds like he’s sick of everyone asking about a #2 WR. Good to see the coach supporting his players that work their butts off day in and day out. By him doing that, they will continue to give their all during practice and push the next guy just as hard. Whiz loves competition and there may not be more on this roster than at WR right now behind Larry. Kolb must be salivating w/ the weapons he’s gonna have because these guys are developing quickly.

4. By cdubbbb on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

agreeda!

5. By MIKE G on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren– I think the Card’s have a young group of receivers that could be productive this year. After Fitzgerald, I would like to see Roberts, Doucet and S Williams fill their roles and develop a repoire with Kolb. I also believe Todd Heap can open some holes in the defense for our young receivers to get open. We finally have a tight end that will demand coverage that defenses have to pay attention too. Do you think it is realistic that our tight ends can catch 45-50 balls this year????

6. By jose on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I expect the Super Bowl this year if it can encourage

7. By Peter on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Receiver?! That’s what people are worried about? What about that patch job line? Deuce came in overweight and they signed a couple veterans that haven’t played together… with that short time to get the team together, I would be more worried about the line. D seems pretty solid and Wilson seems confident about returning… really liking what coverage is showing despite losing DRC, Beanie is healthy, Heap is a great addition, Kolb looked pretty confident… think the beginning will be rough but I expect a great season from the Cards with the pieces they have

8. By shannon robinson on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

It’s not fantasy football – this is a real fight for 53 roster spots. The team loses credibility as an organization if we develop young players like Stephen Williams or Isaiah Williams or sign C Stuckey just to cast them off for a veteran with a “reputaion”. Let’s be patient and play the game and be confident in the organization. Mr. Graves has done a masterful job this year and the roster is set for competition with the players we have.

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Tight ends

Total? I would hope so. I’d hope Heap had at least 40 himself.

10. By MIKE G on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren—I really think we upgraded our tight end position more than any other. I think Heap could be a mentor for Housler. I think King will be a big upgrade in the blocking game for our running backs. I see King filling the role that Anthony Becht did for us in 2008. Which position as of now do you think the Card’s upgraded most since last year??? Do you think it is TE??? I hope it winds up being QB??

11. By Phoenixraven1 on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Awesome interview!

12. By georgiebird on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Can’t believe Whiz is so annoyed with people questioning the need to get a WR2.
    Whiz has to realize his credibility factor is pretty low about now.
    If Doucet and Williams can stay healthy Whiz may have a point- but don’t be so thin-skinned about the criticism.
    It’s time for Whiz to move this team ahead without Warner.

13. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

With the possibility of carrying one more TE and an extra RB/FB this season over last is the WR position going to be the “route” that’s going to have fewer “slots” “open” to “catch” on with the team?

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Upgraded

I think those are two good guesses. We will see.

15. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

ok, here we go “…in Whiz We Trust…”

16. By rio on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Go with what we have, forget those old one’s half retired out there.

17. By MIKE G on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I don’t understand why people are on Whisenhunt and his credability. He is a good coach. He was offensive coordinator when the Steelers won a Super Bowl He also took that Card’s to a Super Bowl and has won multiple playoff games. Remember Warner was here before Whiz got here and Dennis Green did a horrible job coaching and won nothing. Whiz is well respected as a coach throughout the NFL.

18. By Ron on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

If grooming young players is such a priority for Coach Whiz why are so many players that he drafted not on the team any longer?

19. By brad oneill on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I was really impressed with the way Stephen Williams gained ground against the corners and other defenders, I think he took the rough treatment personally that he got last year. of course he looked great in preseason last year also. i guess we won’t know for sure until the games count. I think losing Breaston sucks but I agree with whiz that the guys we have behind him are very capable. i think doucett is far better than anyone is giving him credit for being, I am not sold on Roberts as a punt returner yet but he has been solid as a receiver.

I am totally sold on our tight ends. King and Heap are both substantial contributors and I have a feeling the two tight end set is going to be deadly to opposing defenses. with king getting free more often than is expected from a blocking tight end.

Rob Housler not only caught the ball in his debut but he powered his way past a defender to the end zone. It was more than impressive. If you watch the touchdown you can see how easily he could have been stopped but he went right through the guy.

20. By Daniel Medina on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Lwt’s get real about this. There are many teams that have 3 outstanding receivers. (Atlanta) Some with a couple of probolers. Who do you double team? You can’t!! Please stop selling us on the unproven receivers and go out and get a proven deep threat receiver and stop setting up Kolb to fail. If Larry goes down for a game or two, you will have a dramatically different outlook about the 2nd receiver Wiz. A concerned season ticket holder..

21. By Daniel Medina on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Some of the best current # 2′s have a problem staying healthy (Doucet, Heap), and Roberts is unproven and he tends to fumble on punt returns. We need a deep threat who has a lot of confidence and sure hands, especially if we want to open up the running game for Beanie Wells.

22. By Frustrated on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Just wish he could develop Oline talent like he does receivers. What is the feel for Batiste around camp, Darren?

23. By drummer-1 on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I’m so proud of Whiz, it’s his team he know more from the inside than any of us fan would know.. I was tired of hearing about a number 2 WR myself..

@ Georgiebird..

I think Whiz is trying to move on from Warner, it’s the fans that keep bringing up Warner…

24. By Scott H on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Gee, everyone else on the roster at WR is ahead of Chansi Stuckey? Really? Shame on anyone who has the nerve to be surprised by this. Then again, how much does this REALLY say when you consider that there is not a single known commodity on this roster once you get past Fitzgerald???

Sorry, coach, but all these questions about the WR’s are kinda inevitable when you have so little depth and / or experience at that position. I’d be asking questions too! The Cardinals organization created this situation when they let Breaston go and left a gaping hole un-filled. And THEY are getting annoyed about being asked about this???

25. By D on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

I am not worried about finding another WR, more concerned about our Off tackles and OLB’s…

26. By Rich on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Way to be, Whiz ! I like our young receivers.
    Hell, I like the whole damn team, more I look at it!
    Give it a little time……………..they are going to finish strong this year.
    9 and 7 – might be enough.

27. By cactus jeff on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the info on Dan Williams. About WR # 2, I think we fans are worried because it appeared when Kolb went to pass he acted as if no one was open. Remember, he threw the ball to Maclin and Desean Jackson, 2 fast receivers who run good routes. They get separation from their defenders, I don’t know if the Cardinals have that kind of talent..

28. By Eric on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

@georgiebird, I think what the man is trying to say is HE AND HIS STAFF are qualified to determine the teams needs. Clearly he thinks the recievers we have can compliment Fitz, and I tend to agree. How would bringing in trouble like TO or Edwards have helped this team? Even Lee Evans has declined the last two years and only had +-550 yds last year, clearly in decline. Where do you think good recievers come form? They have to develop somewhere, and I think Roberts, Williams, and Sampson were better options than anything out there and the BS and drama they would bring to the locker room. I for one also don’t see how “his credibility factor is pretty low about now”. One bad season? Come on Man!!! If any position is suspect right now, it is the OL.

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. By BobF on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

You go Whiz.

30. By John on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Where do you see Isiaiah Williams ending up on the depth chart? He did good against oakland and I think he could shine.

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

Frustrated –

RE: Batiste

He’s got an outside chance at being a backup tackle, but with Bridges able to do both guard and tackle, the versatility may hurt Batiste’s chances.

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2011 | Reply

John –

RE: I Williams

Going to be hard to crack the roster. But he could be on the practice squad again.

33. By joe67 on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Peter. MUCH MUCH more concern about O-line than receivers. Need LOTSA, LOTSA help there!

34. By Jason on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Whiz. If we are to be able to afford Fitz we need affordable young players to make a name for themselves. Should be elementary and an exciting opportunity for the rookeis and new talent since Fitz commands such attention.

35. By cards62 on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

We brought in Stuckey for a million dollars to compete with the kids.
    Why did we do this?
    Why not spend $ 3 – 4 million and bring in a real WR to compete with the kids?
    If the kids are soooooo great they will beat out the old & tired $ 4 million dollar man just like they will beat out Stuckey.

I think all of us today are more worried about OL and a pass rush and stopping the run than we are the receiver position, but we like to see our team improve at all positions whenever we can.

I better not hear any of you ever call the Bidwill’s cheap again. I can not think of another owner in the NFL that would donate $ 9.5 million dollars of their own money to the Levi Brown I want to be a tackle charity for the 2011 season when the rest of us know he is the second coming of Leonard Davis a 4 to 5 million dollar guard at best.

S. Robinson I wish to thank you for the best laugh I have had in 2011.
    R. Graves materful job ha ha ha ha oh I just hurt myself again thanks Shannon.

We have a QB now and that is our only hope of winning the division in 2011.

Go Cards!

36. By georgiebird on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

@Eric-
    lease read my reply before spouting off- I said that ‘Whiz might have a point going with the receivers he has”- I just felt he was being thin-skinned about the criticism. If any position is suspect, it’s NT- on a 3-4 defense, he’s the most important player. Stubborn Whiz should scrap the 3-4 immediately.

@Mike G-
    That was Warner without the velcro gloves who fumbled and threw interceptions and barely beat out the great Matt Leinart.

@Drummer-1
    The fans are holding on to Warner because he’s our only source of real success. The fans would gladly move on if Whiz was winning games in the lousy NFC West. Going from near SB winners to about the worst team in the NFL in 2 years is something Whiz will have to live with until he wins.

37. By Stop making excuses on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

21 years of listening to the same BS from coaches. Im building a team. ok youve had time to build a team. then you go and let Breaston leave. so much for building receivers. Fitzgerald needs some one on the other side. Get your head out of your A** Whisenhunt. You have to do better than 9-7

38. By Eric JB on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

@ georgiebird

So right after hiring Ray Horton, a coach brought in specifically because of his experience and success in a 3-4 defense, the Cardinals should scrap the concept entirely? That makes loads of sense. Horton is on record as thinking Dan Williams will become a probowl level player, as a nose tackle. He wasn’t drafted first because they thought the position was insignificant.

39. By Eric on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Eric JB. I think Georgiebird is the one thats thin skined. With his immense knowledge, why didn’t we just make him the DC? I guess thats what we get for “spoouting off” to the experts. Our NT position is NOT our biggest concern. LB and OL make things tick in the schemes we are running. The 3-4 is what this team has been building, you don’t just “immediately” change things.