• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Colledge returns to Green Bay

Posted by Darren Urban on August 17, 2011 – 10:09 am

Dozens of free agents switch teams every year in the NFL. But only a select few are leaving the Super Bowl champions, like new Cardinals guard Daryn Colledge did. A couple of months ago Colledge got his Super Bowl ring, knowing there was a chance he’d be leaving (the one bonus of the lockout — no one had officially “left” the team yet, unlike a normal offseason timeline) and he admitted returning there for Friday’s preseason game will create some emotions.

“I played their five years, I have a ton of friends still on the team, I enjoyed my time there,” Colledge said. “It’s a great place to play – it has a lot of history and a lot of tradition. I won a championship there. But I know my guys are extremely happy for me to be here, I am extremely happy to be here. It’s one of those things, ‘Hey it’s great to see you guys but it’s time for a different chapter.’ “

The ring ceremony was the end of Colledge’s previous story he said. It was a final chance to reminisce about a Super Bowl season and a great moment, but “it was the last page, that final chapter. That book is closed. And they will tell you the same thing.”

Colledge’s story just puts the hyper-focus on the treadmill of the NFL. A dream season is great, especially when it ends the way it did for Colledge and the Packers. Soon, training camp begins again and last year, is, well, last year. The Cardinals went through the same thing after their Super Bowl run. Moving on — fairly quickly — is a requirement.

“It feels like a long time ago,” Colledge said. “But you do have to start back to work. I mean, when was the last time we had a repeat Super Bowl champion? As soon as you put that ring on, bring that trophy home, you are the hunted. And you want to be the team that quietly stalks their way to the championship and not be at the front.”

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “Colledge returns to Green Bay”

1. By MIKE G on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren—I’m glad Colledge is here he is a good player. But our line has to improve from last year. I believe the good lines are the ones that stay intact for a number of games. These 5 guys need to play together over time to get good whichever 5 guys that will be. The 2 tackles are the key – we need them to be solid in both pass protection and in the run game. How does Brandon Keith look to you so far???–I believe he is the key guy on that line. He needs to take a step up from last year!!

2. By ProSportsPhoenix on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

This weekends game will tell us tons about how good we are going to be.

3. By Jzoully on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

What a big player, I’m excited to see him put this offensive line together by the line building around colledge

4. By brad oneill on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

I think he may have a little bit of angst to take out on the cheeseheads for not inviting him to the white house with the rest of the team for the superbowl meeting with the president. i think that is total crap. for a team that has always been a class act that was completely classless.

5. By Andre on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

We need to sign Jon Stinchcomb. I hope Fitz realizes this and he’ll hurry up and complete his deal already. He’s also got some great veteran leadership which this O-line needs.

6. By Andre on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

If we need more cap room we’ll probably have to cut Levi Brown since he’s due ~9 million dollars, which is pretty crazy considering he’s no where near pro bowl caliber.

7. By cardinals1964 on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren, how has Levi looked so far in camp? If he doesn’t improve from last year, he should either move back to guard or he should be cut or traded. This should be his last chance to prove himself. He’s making a ton of money and needs to step it up or get out. We have a championship to win!

8. By pipapiko on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

Big ups to Colledge for his superbowl run last year! I hope he can bring the same mentality for the cards this year. Aaron Rodgers did get sacked 50 times last year and still was able to whoop on the steelers! May be we should have a scheme similar to Green Bay! Hahahahahaha…

9. By Kofari on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

We Need To Get The Tackles Doin Solid Blocking

10. By John the draft guy on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

The release of Aaron Maybin is just another in the long line of bust 1st round pass rushers. .In the last couple of years, weve seen Gholsten, Derrick Harvey, Gaines Adams, Jarvis Moss, just to name a few turn into bust.

My question is; NFL teams obviously have seen production in college and looked at all the measurables before drafting them. In many of the cases, these guys had off the chart measurables. So why so many failures. Being around the locker rooms and players, do you see why these guys fail?

I think of guys like Wilson or Haggins and they prepare so hard to be the best they can.You see Kolb working hard to be the guy in AZ. So, Is it work ethic, or mental, or a misjudgment of talent?

And , what ever it is, is Dan Williams having that struggle of obvious talent underachieving? (not saying Dan will not be great at some point)

I mean a guy like Scholfield had doubters. Thats why he lasted to the end of the 4th. (not saying he is a bust-just an example of expectations and scouting)
    But Maybin shouldn’t have missed. He was too good. Got any insight?

11. By Peter in Canada on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

ProsportsPhoenix –
    I couldn’t agree with you more. I am afraid it will tell us that we are not there yet. Hopefully it will show it is preparation that is lacking as opposed to talent. We really got a break from the schedule maker for the first three weeks because those teams have as much or more work to do than us.

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy –

RE: pass rush misses

I think it goes to show a) how much of a science drafting isn’t and b) that talent doesn’t always translate. Even Maybin, who everyone said was drafted way too early, would have been at worst a high second-round pick.

I am sure work ethic is part of it, but in some cases, guys just don’t have what it takes on the next level. Hard work gets you far, but only so far.

13. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 17, 2011 | Reply

From what I’ve read of the standpoints of the Packer’s fans, they seemed relieved of letting Colledge go to the Cards, saying he was the weak link of the OL.
    Sour grapes, poor knowledge or reality?

14. By Scott H on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Damn, when did we sign Alice Cooper???

15. By riwjr on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Whew! The title to the article read “Colledge returns to Green Bay”, had me scared for a moment!

2. Aug 17, 2011: NFL Preseason Preview – Arizona (1-0) at Green Bay (0-1) – MiamiHerald.com | Sports News Watch