• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Sturdivant’s got to speak up

Posted by Darren Urban on August 18, 2011 – 8:29 am

The walkthrough was sparsely attended by fans, so it was even easier to hear the chatter on the field. That included linebackers coach Matt Raich, who was watching his charges from the offensive backfield when at one point he bellowed at rookie inside linebacker Quan Sturdivant, “I need to hear you back here!”

Sturdivant was calling the pre-snap signals. He wasn’t doing it loudly enough.

“Some players have that take charge voice,” Raich said. “Young guys come in here and they are not sure. That’s why I always say, ‘Say it loud and say it proud.’ They laugh about it, but it is true.”

It’s not just a Sturdivant issue, or even just young players. Raich said that even veterans new to the team might not be quite loud enough at first. It’s tough to have conviction in your voice when you are just learning the defense yourself. The starting inside linebackers, Paris Lenon and Daryl Washington, have been around a year, so even though they are learning the defense, they have been more confident. So too is new veteran Stewart Bradley.

As for Sturdivant, “you’re the Mike linebacker, it’s what you are supposed to do,” the rookie said. “It is a little adjustment. I’m not a loud person. I’m not going to say it’s tough but it is something to get used to.”

Sturdivant, the first of two sixth-round picks, will have to battle to make the roster. The addition of Bradley and the influx of new information (without an offseason) has made his impact minimal right now. Asked if he was “swimming” with all the incoming info, Sturdivant smiled and said, “you could say that.”

“I’m taking it day by day,” he added. “I ask questions of the vets if I have questions.”

Learning to pipe up is just one of his early lessons.

“He has to scream it,” Raich said. “I want them to make sure. He has his hand up to say, ‘right, left’ but the defensive linemen can’t see him. I’ve got to get Quan going.

“You’ve got to be able to communicate before the snap and obviously after. I think guys are unsure at times. … It’s just like anyone if they are talking. If you are comfortable with what you are going to say, you are fluent.”

Tags: , , , ,

16 Responses to “Sturdivant’s got to speak up”

1. By ProSportsPhoenix on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Didn’t Quan play OLB in college? The Cards are using him in the middle? He has not made any noise in camp that I have heard.

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

ProSports –

RE: Sturdivant

He’s an inside guy all the way. That was the plan when they took him. And like I wrote, he’s fighting to make the team.

3. By kolb2fitz on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren

I assumed he was going to take over for Paris Lenoneventually. Is that thinking correct still……Maybe mid season?

Also, does the team plan on rushing Sam Acho at all this year?

4. By cardsfan#13 on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, I just wanted to say that I have been reading your articles since you started what a few years I guess now, since you started. I must say I really enjoy reading your articles and enjoy your great attitude and great personality.
    Anyway, it sounds like Quan, is a very possible and a very likely practice squad guy. Am I right? That is if they think he has the potential. My thinking is that they may need more time to see him because of the lock out. What do you think. I just since, because of the depth (not that it is deep) he will more than likely not make the final roster this year. At least not at the beginning.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks for the time.

Cardsfan#13

5. By cardsfan#13 on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

ha ha, Darren, you are probably going to tell me that you will have your guess on the final roster in two or three weeks. Am I right? Well, I hope you will give me a decent answer. Have a great day my friend.

Cardsfan#13

6. By Mario on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

He was on most draft boards as an ILB.

7. By pro sports realtor on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

this is disappointing, I thought we got a real steal and a difference maker with him in the 6th.

8. By MIKE G on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren—Do you see both Haggans and Porter making this roster? I’m hoping we infuse the LB postion with a lot of new blood that is quicker and faster. We have Lenon and Bradley as our vetreran guys to provide some leadership.

9. By Kurt on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

Any reports on Sturdivant’s special teams contributions?

10. By Tbru on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, any chance we get the former players, with the possible exception of Warner removed from the blog tags list to the right? I don’t think we need to be showcasing other teams players

11. By sunnysouth on Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I thought it was interesting that you didn’t mention the OLB position.
    Do both Porter and Haggans remain as starters?

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

kolb2fitz –

RE: Acho

He did rush some last week. Obviously, they could use him to flash some skills.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

cardsfan#13 -

RE: Sturdivant

I think he could be PS if he doesn’t make the roster. Again, I think he’s one of the guys that mist be sorted out through the preseason games.

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Vet LBs

I think Haggans is on the roster. I think Porter still has a good chance — he remains a starter.

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Kurt –

RE: Special teams

Nothing of consequence right now.

16. By UNC on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

UNC guy here. I watched Q for 4 years and he was an OLB for most if not all of his UNC career. He was a silent assassin. He has the ability, it might just take a little bit of time for him to get his legs under him as not having an off season set all rookies back. He is having to make a transistion to MLB and get used to having to be vocal. Mid-season you should be hearing some noise from him.