Packers aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on August 19, 2011 – 11:43 pm

It’s very late and the trip to the airport comes very early. So we will make this aftermath brief. At least, that’s the plan as I start.

–What can you really say about the injury to running back Ryan Williams? Horrible. I’ve written it and everyone has said it: There was definitely excitement watching this kid in practice. I really wanted to see him and what he could bring to the table. Now, barring a miracle, there is going to be a long rehab process and a lot of questions about the future.

“We were all excited about him and we saw the stuff he had done in the game and the stuff he had done in practice and the kind of kid he is,” quarterback Kevin Kolb said. “It is a little bit frustrating as an athlete. It doesn’t matter whether he was in green-and-yellow or our colors.”

– What next at running back. Well, the Cards will look at players, and, at least body-wise, I won’t be shocked to see them sign someone. But I like what little I have seen from fourth-stringer Alfonso Smith — the man is very fast — and with the success of so many undrafted running backs, he may just get a shot to team up with Beanie and the Hyphen. If they don’t want to go that route, I could see them waiting until teams make final cuts and see who is out there. I don’t see them chasing some old “name.”

– Beanie really, really has to stay healthy now.

– Somehow, it’s funny to see this tweet from cornerback Patrick Peterson, knowing it is coming from 30,000 feet in the air on the flight home: “The back shoulder fade is a MOTHER!!!!” Welcome to the NFL, PP. A 20-yard score from Rodgers-to-Jennings. You may be the best player coming out in the 2011 draft, but you are still a rookie, and that duo has burned so many cornerbacks already in the league. You live, you learn.

– OK, not a surprise, but seriously, are you kidding me?

– Quarterback Rich Bartel should have led the Cards to a chance to tie the game late. His end-zone interception was forced, which obviously he knew. Worse, he had rookie wideout DeMarco Sampson wide open over the middle when that play began to break down. Take your six or seven yards and live to fight another day.

– It got lost with a few false starts, but I think the offensive line has held up pretty well in pass protection for Kolb and created some room for Beanie (who ran over a couple people tonight too). You can’t have the penalties period. But decent-with-penalties, for the second game of the preseason, is better than the alternative.

– Wide receiver Stephen Williams made a nice touchdown catch. But he also dropped a couple he needs to make, and he probably could have blocked a little better. These are the things that make a difference when you are trying to decide who makes the roster.

– Darnell Dockett played really well. Don’t know if it was the fact it was the Pack or not, but he was a beast.

That’s enough for now. Someone asked me yesterday what I was looking for in this game. I wanted a steady Kolb — he was OK, although he missed a couple of throws. I wanted the pass rush to pop — and I think it did.  And I wanted no injuries.

Damn.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

58 Responses to “Packers aftermath”

1. By muchlove on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

I love my Cardinals

2. By Sedona Chris on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

hopefully R. Williams makes a speedy recovery… sucks losing him before the season even begins… that being said… Smith did pretty well… considering he was facing the Thirds, that statement could be taken with a grain of salt

3. By Pete on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

What a shame… You never expect a second rounder to go down… But with the limited reps… You begin to wonder about some things
    Larry will always be Larry, Kolb seems pretty stable but needs improvement, Beanie had a great outing… Housler left something to be desired but then again Todd Heap is a probowler so I’m pretty biased there
    Then the defense were pretty solid… I could care less about what people say about Peterson’s coverage that play… He was in position and all he needs to do was locate the ball
    I expect the division this year and have hopes to make it to the conference… But were still not a complete team yet…

4. By ron on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren!

I watched the game and it was pretty good except for the penalties Cards made. The offense was good but the most important is the way the defense played. It’s like day and night compared to last year defense. The pressure they put on Roger was excellent. What do you think Darren?

5. By Jake on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

That picture and the moment he was being carted off the field really shook me up

6. By darrel on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

i feel your pain i think alot ppl saw big things for lil sweetness hopefully he comes back stronger faster and better than ever blake griffen style … darren is there interst in caleb king rb for the supp. draft he is very simlar to ryan willams

7. By Luke on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

All the best to Ryan Williams, here’s to a very speedy recovery.

8. By CardinalSwagger on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I hope the best for Ryan Williams… As a fan I am so upset about this injury, so I wonder how HE feels… I’ll keep him in my prayers.

Damn.

9. By Storme on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I loved how Beanie ran the ball tonight, but it was depressing to see Ryan Williams go down :(. Hopefully Smith can step in and do something because I thought he flashed a little bit last pre-season for us.
    However, I am still excited to watch them play this season.
    GO CARDS!!!!

10. By Nick Pepe on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I feel horrible. I was listening to the game, and knew right away it was bad. It’s weird, I never knew “listening” to an injury could make your stomach turn as if you were watching. I will continue to pray for him on what is sure to a long, hard road back.

I also heard “number 75″ in my sleep a couple times. Not sure which refs voice it was coming from.

Sounds as though Sampson is a lock for the 53.

Safe travels Darren and thanks for the updates.

I should have never tweeted that 34 was going to have a big second half. Sick over it…… Even though it had nothing to do with the injury, still wish I kept my big mouth shut

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    Not a black Cat

11. By MIKE G on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren—Really ashame about Ryan Williams. This really brings that Hightower trade to the forefront. I thought it was a bad trade at the time. You can’t rely on these two backs from a health stand point. They are unproven. Hightower, even with his propensity for fumbles is a proven NFL back. We are really going to miss him. Our RB position is very shaky right now. This is a monster injury!!!

12. By Brent Glenn on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Williams’ injury makes me sick. Both for him and the Cardinals. Hopefully his rehab goes well and this is ‘only’ a season ending injury.

13. By Paul H on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

It took a while to fall asleep last night. I feel so bad for Ryan. Hope the Cards can get the best medical care available to get Ryan back on the field in a year. Ryan is still young and he CAN come back. I think LaRod and Alfonso can split 10 carries a game and let Beanie have the rest. Beanie, the team and fans really need you to make that next step up to a solid NFL running back this season.

14. By Wayne on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I thought all cell phones are suppose to be turned off at 30,000 feet!!! Thanks for jeopardizing the owners, staff, players and your life.
    A lot of people don’t think there is a possibility of interference, but I have a friend that works for the FAA and he said you would be amazed of the at times interference that devices cause.

15. By cactus jeff on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Just awful. His rehab will require him to be non-weightbearing for a long long time…that is why players “lose a step”. The same problem with micro-fracture surgery, only patellar tendon rupture is worse. Remember Stat for the suns, it took a long time for him to get his explosiveness back.

16. By Chris B on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Damn is a good word… It felt like a gut-punch when I read the words “out for season”.

17. By clssylssy on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

They looked pretty encouraging. I was happy that the protection for Kolb was there and liked the way Alfonso Smith stepped in. Since these games don’t really count I thought this was an invaluable practical teaching exercise but wished that coach had pulled Ryan Williams earlier. Didn’t seem like Green Bay was taking this too seriously and were capable of showing us we were in their house. Dockett is always a beast who we are fortunate to still have. GOOD JOB GUYS! WE LOVE YOU.

18. By Peter in Canada on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

With one obvious exception I thought it was a great game. The defence especially and the Oline were much better than last week. To match blow for blow with the champs was a very pleasant surprise. I was hoping it wouldn’t be something like Tampa vs. NE and it sure wasn’t.
    The injury to Williams was a tragedy. I hope he can come back as good as before. He will be sorely missed as his upside was better than any running back on the roster and anyone being cut by other teams.

19. By Chad on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

It is horrible that Ryan Williams is out for season. It was looking forward to see his make some plays for us and to push Beanie. I suppose that excitement will have to wait until next year. And as Coach says, you can’t just go pluck a guy out of FA to help with RB depth, because they don’t exist. Here is hoping Card’s WRs and RBs can step it up.

20. By Chad on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

When DeMarco Sampson pushed that Packer out of bounds and he fell into #29…my first reaction was, “NO, NOT DRC – DON’T GET HURT!” But then I calmed down after I realized, well, DRC isn’t with us anymore.

21. By John rennecamp on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren, Is Julius Jones still out there? Other than him or Portis I don’t know who we could get now. Maybe let Smith show his stuff and get a late cut later on if he looks shaky.

22. By Marshy da man on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren, didnt get to see the game, but stats said the Cardinals used another punter. Could yu elaborate on that if they want to replace Graham or what they were doing?

23. By Brandon Orgeron on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I thought last night was very good. I also think the o line looks better with Jeremy Bridges at RT compared to Brandon Keith. It seems like when he’s in there he cant hold a block and everybody has to scramble on every play

24. By Matthew on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

really hope ryan gets, better soon. Was really excited to see what he could do this season

25. By bluepitt on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I was pretty adamant about not drafting a back in the second round like we did, but I did find my self tearing up a bit for the kid when they carted him off the field….Gods speed #34!!!!

26. By BobF on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I think Alfonso looked good last night and I hope he can take up some slack. This sucks about Williams. He looked like a good kid with great potential. Wishing the best.

27. By JR on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I wish and pray for the best for Ryan. What a tragedy for the young man with so much promise.

28. By Chuck 1 on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren said: “…Beanie (who ran over a couple people tonight too)…”

I know that running backs (and WRs) sometimes “have to” run over people because of the position of the defensive personnel.

HOWEVER, with Williams out for the season and Beanie being the #1 RB,
    I would think that he should limit the number of times that he “runs over” people.

29. By Brian R. on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

That picture hurts. The Cardinals always have bad luck man.

30. By mike b on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

So with the very unfortunate injury to Ryan Williams do you think we might call on Westbrook or someone who gets cut from another team (like a rookie or some body guy)?

31. By cards>niners on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

it’s hard not to feel for the kid.. his dreams just shattered in an instant

32. By wayne on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I think Levi Brown is killing us, wasn’t he a 1st round pick? If he was a 1st or 2nd I think he is now a bust, he has not played good since being here and after last night I was ready to cut him on the spot, he is really hurting some good drives. Just in the 1st quarter alone he had 2 false starts and a holding penalty, I really thought this would be his year to turn it around but no!!

What do you think this does to are O-Line? can we replace him? and with who? or does coach Whiz see what happens?
    It seems that the rest of the O-Line is playing ok.

Thanks, Wayne

33. By Patrick Eagan on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I feel so bad for ryan williams.

34. By Larry Wright on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Hate to see the injury to williams, but lets shake it off and kick butt!

35. By jlmora_77@yahoo.com on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

DAM HE WAS GOING TO BE A STAR I HOPE HE COMES BACK THE SAME SAD DAY FOR A CARDNIAL

36. By Jzoully on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

A St. Louis Rams running back was let go, his name was Eddie Wide, he played for the Utah Utes and was a very impressive running back. I honestly don’t believe that we should just hand the 3rd string position to Alfonso Smith (Even though I really like him), I think that someone needs to challenge him. What do you think about a running back competition?

37. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Ron –

RE: Defense

I think it was a good start. All analysis — good and bad — needs to be tempered right now though.

38. By Andre on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

It sucks so much to hear about Ryan Williams. The game overall was good to see though. Not too bad and not too good. One thing that I really liked are the little scheming Horton has done with Darnell Dockett. I was wondering if he was ever going to put him in positions to make plays instead of being the prototypical 3-4 end. BOY am I excited after seeing what he did with DD! Putting him as a DT which I believe resulted in an almost sack or was it the sack? and dropping him in coverage!…wow, what a hit. DD was and will always be a beast.

39. By Andre on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Also, one interesting thing I keep seeing in Wells is that he is always slipping. I hope he works on that, keeping his body lower, and cutting more quickly as the announcers were talking about during the game. Is there any other running back you can think of that slips, or even runs like Beanie?

40. By brad oneill on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren- why don’t they let you fly with the team?

On stephen williams- He was lost tonight, he seemed out of focus and his one touchdown reception does not make up for it. He won’t be seeing the field if he doesn’t get whatever was in his head behind him and focus on the game.

On lilsweetness- damn it. much love brother you will recover and we will be pulling for you.

on Kolb- Except for one bad pass he lucked out on I loved the way he kept the team moving and didn’t look flustered.

On skelton- he was let down by his receivers but he kept his cool.

on bartel- looks tied with max.

on Dockett and Schofield and Campbell- yea baby now that’s a game!!!

on pp- losing to Rodgers and Jenkins is expected. you seem to be the kind of guy that isn’t particularly happy with meeting expectations. You will get a second shot at these two at some point make them pay.

41. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Darrel –

RE: Caleb King

Don’t know. Some issues there.

42. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Wayne –

RE: Internet

The Cardinals’ plane has internet access.

43. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Marshay da man –

RE: Punter

They have a second punter in camp. I would think Graham would stay however.

44. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Wayne –

RE: Levi

I don’t know if he is going to be replaced. I would have expected it to happen by now if it would have. I think they are going to continue to work with him.

45. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully –

RE: Competition

Sounds nice in theory, but we are awful late in camp. If it isn’t Smith, it’ll be a vet we’ve heard of, I’d guess.

46. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Andre –

RE: Runs like Beanie

He is very upright. Eric Dickerson?

47. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Brad –

RE: Flying

Normally I do. Larger roster this preseason has changed some things up.

48. By Nick Pepe on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

@classy
    That was RW’a first touch of the game, I believe. Tough to pull him any sooner than that!

49. By Jim on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Definitely need to bring a vet to replace Williams. On another note, I would really like to more of Sampson. The guy just seems to do everything right. He may not play a large role this year, but I can definitely see him as our #2 in a year of so.

50. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

@ Darren
    Eric Dickerson was more of a slasher than Wells.
    I’d compare him closer to Eddie George, if he’d only play physically EVERY down.

51. By cards62 on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Some good and some bad from the game.

I was not a fan of us drafting WIlliams in the second round, (I just think we were set at RB and Timmy is making me look smart so far with the Redskins) but I sure was becoming a fan of Ryan Williams. Ryan we wish you all the best in your surgery and recovery.

Housler was not my choice at TE either, but the kid sure looks like a player. I may have to start his Cardinal Fan Club and eat some crow on this one.

Fitz. what a great catch and Doucet had a couple of catches.

Dockett looked very very good to me and Campbell also looked good. Sometimes we did get good pressure but a lot of time GB had all day to pass and all of their QBs cut us up pretty good.

Beanie does look better to me and remember our play calling is not helping Beanie out right now. We started our first game with Beanie running inside, and we started our second game the same way. Preseason so I have no problem wiht this, but I hope we pitch it to Beanie a little more and pass a little more in the season..

Jefferson seem to give GB receivers a little too much cushion early in the game and I am glad Peterson is getting a lot of work as he needs the work.

I wish Kolb would have looked better and we had fewer penalties in both games. I am still glad Kolb is our QB I just wish he would have played a little better.

I wonder why Bartel is playing so much? I know he threw the bad interception, but overall I think he has looked very solid. I like the ball he throws, but Max Hall is not being given much of a shot so he has to be the odd man out.

Penalties and Steven WIlliams killed Skelton’s first drive and then we had a horrible punt which set-up a GB touchdown. I did not see who punted the ball for us.
    Darren or anyone can you tell me who punted that time for us?

Overall I am pleased with our play so far and remain excited about our upcoming season and the signing of Larry F. to an 8 year extension.

Go Cards.

52. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

cards62 –

RE: Punter

All you had to do is look at the roster on the website. His name is Derek Epperson.

53. By LME on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

cards62-
    Darren
    The punt you are talking about was in the first half.
    Derek Epperson did punt against GB but not until the second half. He had two punts: avg 48.5, long 58, both left GB inside the 20.

54. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

LME –

RE: Punters

There are only two punters: Epperson and Ben Graham.

55. By cards62 on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I had the NFL network coverage and they either did not show the punter on that play or I just missed it.

If it was Graham in the first half than Epperson really did have a much better showing.

I am glad the next two games are at home as I had to listen to the Raiders and Packers announcers the first two games.

I can not believe the SF – Raiders game. 2 fans shot and another man beat in the restroom. Media blamed the Dodgers owner when it happened in baseball so will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Go Cards

56. By Sec113Rw10 on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Praying for you R Williams — you’ve already shown you deserve to be at this level. We’re hoping you have a healthy recovery so you can come back to show the world what you have to offer.

57. By Joey on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

How about signing Tiki Barber for a short deal to mentor Beanie and have a experienced backup? Darren, would that be a good idea? a possible one?

58. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Joey –

RE: Barber

Have no idea why you’d want a guy who has been out of football since 2006.