Fitzgerald deal gets done

Posted by Darren Urban on August 20, 2011 – 6:14 pm

Nothing official — unless you want to take the fact there is a press conference in a short bit featuring team president Michael Bidwill and wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, which is a huge tell — but Fitz has got his extension. Reports have it as an eight-year contract with $50 million guaranteed and worth as much as $120 million (although that’s the agent talking, so there is always the case of waiting to see the actual deal).

That length means that Fitz probably isn’t going anywhere, but again, we need to see details. If the last three years are backloaded heavily, maybe that can change. Obviously, though, Fitzgerald’s stated desire to stay in Arizona was true — just like he was saying.

Much more later, and yes, we plan to stream this live on azcardinals.com right on this link. Press conference is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Az time.

(And here’s the story link).

Tags: ,

69 Responses to “Fitzgerald deal gets done”

1. By MylesfromSD on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

We love you Fitz, a gentleman and a scholar! Few men in football with as much class as Fitz!

2. By Nick Pepe on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    You know how I like to sign my posts ‘Lifetime Member” it is, in a way, in jest. But being 46 years old and during those 46 years having NEVER rooted for any other team than the Cardinals, I can honestly say this is the best thing to ever happen for my Cardinals. Ever. The after effects could be huge. Who wouldn’t want to be a part of what LF does both on and off the field!

Tears of Joy
    Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member….. and loving it!

3. By Jerry on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

OMG…Well worth it. Thanks Fitz for staying. Go BIG RED

4. By Nick Pepe on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

and it should have been “affects” not effects….. I think …….who cares!!! A Card forever Larry Fitz…..WOW!

5. By nrdpmp on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

soooooo happy. We are blessed to have Fitz retire a Cardinal just like Adub

6. By James on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

All I can say is YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. By BobF on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Hey Larry, Can I borrow five bucks?

8. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

8 years 120 million, 50 guaranteed.

Gosh, I remember when Jake Plummer was signed to a 4 year 30 mil, 15 assured and thinking that was obnoxious.
    I’m thinking I’m in the wrong business.

9. By Peter in Canada on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Great news. I hope this will stop “the Bidwills are cheap and won’t pay their players” posts from those who think the NFL is a fantasy league.

10. By Scott H on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Very good news, indeed. Awesome! I know some people were not thrilled with giving up DRC to get Kolb here. But IF getting Kolb here was a part of keeping Fitz here, then I don’t mind the sacrifice. When you have true marque player – and one that could very well be thought of someday as one of the all-time greats at his position – then you do what you need to do to keep him here. The backlash that occured when DRC was traded was NOTHING compared with the outrage that would have been if Fitz were allowed to go to another team while still in his prime. I have been quite critical of this organization for the better part of the past year but keeping Fitz here – at least for the rest of his best years – is something I will applaud the Cardinals for.

11. By Dave - The Optimisitc Season Ticket Holder on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Congrats to Larry and the Cards for getting this deal done.

It’s also a blessing for us Fans as well, by being able to one day (hopefully) to see Fitz’s name not only go into the ring of honor, but also the Hall of Fame. Now let’s get him the jewelry to go along with that!

Darren-

Now that this contract is done, do you see the cards looking at any other FA’s before the start of the season i.e. OT’s or RB’s ?

12. By John the draft guy on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

For all of you who think the Bidwills are cheap;
    120 million? Wow.
    Wilson and Docket got extensions last year. Kolb got his big deal. And now Fitz gets 120 million.
    I guess this isn’t the same old cards!!

Now go get a vet rb.

13. By ProSportsPhoenix on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Kudos to Mike Bidwill AGAIN! I hope that he is a good enough businessperson to have saved some money to continue to build a team around Larry and Kevin.

Larry has been such an asset to the Cards that he must go into the ring of honor and when he retires, he needs to become a lifelong member of the Cardinals organization. Any business is only as good as its employees and Larry is a Great one.

Together they can build a Super Bowl Champion if they have not broken the bank. No one can doubt the commitment, what a great change for the Phoenix area and the whole Cards organization.

Lets Roll!

14. By Paul H on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Jeez, I drove by the complex at 5:30 today and there was one car in the lot. Larry must have agreed to deal on his way to the Chris Tucker show. Anyhoo, this is great news and yes this is crazy money but if anyone deserves it then it’s Larry.

15. By Matthew on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

great job! glad to see fitz staying in AZ

16. By in fitz we trust on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

im so happy! we all know Fitz is a class act, money well deserved, im glad as a true fan to have him as the face of our franchise!

17. By cactus jeff on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Good news on Fitz, has Tiki tried out for anyone yet?

18. By cardsfan007 on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren, now that Fitzgerald has been signed, are they going to use any money they still have, to sign other free agents or other trades and etc?

19. By jlmora_77@yahoo.com on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

THERE IS A GOD

20. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I thought Q would retire a Cardinal, but that was not to be. Fitz will remain a Cardinal until the day comes he is determined expendible and traded for a mid-round draft pick. Of course I hope that never happens, but this is a busniess and I’ve seen it happen too many times across the league to think it can’t happen to Fitz. Who would have thought 10 years ago that Rice and Favre would have been anything other than a 49er and Packer respectively? And I just thought of another–Emmit Smith and the Cowboys. All those players played too long though and I just hope Fitz can end his career on top, on his own terms, and as a Cardinal just like Warner did.

21. By CJ on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

i just want to know the details of the whole contract

22. By Skiptim on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Granted it is an 8 year contract, and Fitzgerald will be 35 or so when the contract expires, why is everyone saying this makes him a Cardinal for life, as if it is definitively his last contract? Doesn’t he strike you as the type of guy who will play until his legs won’t allow him to stand? He strikes me as the type of guy who will play as long as he can to pursue all the receiving records.

23. By Jason on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Mr Fitzgerald for your commitment to winning. This is the best news I have heard so far in Cardinals history. Hands down. Mr Bidwill, thank you as well. Your business is turning a huge corner in the right direction. From the sun blistering stands of ASU to a SuperBowl appearance, Air Conditioning, individual seating, Probowl wide receiver making 80 million plus, this is an incredible, almost over night turn around it seems.

24. By shane on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Best signing they could have done. At least the organization is trying to win. If Kolb turns out to be solid we have a good start to hopefully something special. Lets go Cards!!! Division up for grabs.

25. By brad oneill on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

champagne corks can be heard all across arizona!!! I love what this team has become under Michael Bidwill, when we were on the field against Greenbay it was too classy organizations battling and i loved feeling that we not only belonged there but that we were equal to them. That is a feeling I rarely had before as a cards fan there was always a hope we would somehow pull off a victory, but now i feel like we deserve to win because our team is every bit as good as the ones we face.

hooray Fitz, hooray Bidwill, Hooray Fans. it is a great day to wear red.

26. By brad oneill on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

i meant two ha ha ha, this fan is still an idiot.

27. By bluepitt on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Im going to puke!!!!!! Fitz is good, but not 50mill gauranteed good!!! Im sorry.. I dont see it! Warner was 50mill good! 120mill What a joke!!!!! So who is going to take coverage off of him like Q did? No one, thats who! Just wait and see!
    When I see Fitz put his head down and truck some one, then ill think he is worth a little more! We are going to pay 50mill gur, for a jump ball reciever?
    WOW!!!!! ANd yes I see some of the great catches he makes, but still not 50mill worth! One record setting playoff run and we make him the 3rd higest player in the NFL behing the Maning’s and brady? I just dont see it! We didnt even spend close to 120mill in salery last year for the whole team!!!! I hope he proves me dead wrong! but like I said “I Just Dont See It!!!!!!!!

28. By Eric G on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Michael Bidwill, we love you!!!!! You have been a god send.

Fitz has earned every penny of that deal. Looks like the Kolb trade worked.

29. By eric on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. By clssylssy on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Oh Happy Day!…I think, at least for now. It seems at the moment everybody is getting what they want and perhaps a second chance at the gold ring. Now it’s up to the coaches and the organization to get us back to the Super Bowl. The team is looking pretty good, there is an excitement in the air, enthusiasm on the field. With that kind of $$$$$ Fitz can still bale if it starts looking like the same ole status quo and is young enough and marketable enough to attain his goals in the NFL. Good job! High fives…clink, clin, wink, wink…GO CARDS! RISE UP RED SEA!

31. By kaleb on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

thing of beauty, time to invest in another authentic jersey.

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Dave the optimistic —

RE: FAs

They will look at RBs. Maybe a tackle if someone gets cut. Nothing spectacular, I wouldn’t think.

33. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Cactus —

RE: Tiki

I think he has had a workout or two, but it won’t be here.

34. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Skiptim —

RE: Fitz deal

You make a good point. I guess we will see on that.

35. By Nick Pepe on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

@Bluepitt: you’re like dried beef. You’ll never change. You find fault in all that you can. Go cuss yourself out in the mirror, maybe you’ll feel better!

36. By johnjohn1105 on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

When the details of the contract are reveled, please let us know. I want ro know how much we are under the cap this year and the projection that we might be under next year as well..

Overall, I can now sleep well knowing that my favorite player is going to be here for another 8 yrs!! The cards are building a dynasty with Fitz,Kolb, ADub, PP21, Dockett, Beanie Baby!! Next year Ryan Williams is going to come back and impress.. It feels good to be a cardinals fan!

37. By drummer-1 on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

there’s always one in every crowd!!!

38. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

So Awesome!!!! Congrats Larry! You are a great person on and off the field and I’m glad you will be a cardinal till you retire!!!

39. By joe67 on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Larry thanx for staying. Mr. Bidwill and Michael, thanx for keeping him a Cardinal.

Darren and Skiptim, I respectfully disagree. I think Larry will know when time is right and want to go out on top.

Bluepitt……….no, your commints do not just a response.

40. By Scharf on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

@Bluepitt: Your acting like he gets 120 million a season. Keep in mind the guy just signed an 8 year contract which adds to the one he is currently in. That’s 15 million a year – I think Fitzgerald is worth every penny of that money because he is a great receiver. Obviously you don’t realize how great of a talent he is. The Cardinals receivers have been able to take coverage off of Larry, and without that coverage you still have to think that with Larry’s excellent route running and technique that he will confuse corners over and over again and get open. Kolb has thrown in his direction 40% of the time already – You have to imagine once that chemistry kicks in that both of them will be very good. In the end it’s not just Fitzgerald’s athleticism, it’s also his leadership, style, class, effort and on/off the field behavior. (And probably numerous other things he is so deserving of this contract).

41. By brad oneill on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

congratulations bluepitt on winning the most ignorant fan award. narrowly edging out the beating suspects in oakland and the shooting supsects in san francisco.

42. By darrenisawesome on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./…..\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>–==“
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

43. By CJ on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

@bluepitt did you not see him knock over that packer in the playoffs two years ago? if thats not tucking his head and plowing someone over idk what is

44. By Buddy on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Wow so proud to be a CARDINAL FAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It all started when Wiz came to town. Now we can honestly say we our a different team now. I love the direction our team is heading and can’t wait to see it pay off. Congrats Larry you are the man. HERE WE GO CARDINALS !!!!!!!

45. By Tx Cards fan on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I am the first one to blast the Cardinals and the FO for being cheap, slow and reactive not proactive. So I will be the first one to defend them and give them their due respect. They got this right. Fitz is the kind of player people rally around he will bring FA to the Cardinals and make sure his teammates and new draft picks workout during the offseason with him at his home if he has to. Locking up your team leader for 8 years is only a good thing. This frees up the remaining cap space to go after a veteran RB, OLB, OL, WR we have all been asking for but they had to save cap space to get Fitz taken care of. So I am glad to see they did it early before camp is over and not waiting until next year during the offseason when he is a FA. This takes away any distraction this year about Fitz and his contract and he is locked up for 8 years to build around without question. Once again they got this right.

46. By Nick Pepe on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

@brad,
    Funny as hell. But he’s not the most ignored, on the contrary I think that’s his motive for the ridiculous posts: they’re like train wrecks, everyone watches the train wreck. He needs the attention.

47. By Nick Pepe on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

@brad
    Sorry without my glasses I read “most ignored” fan, not most ignorant as you stated. Your post needs only a second to your motion and not a response. Well put. ….. Instill thinks he’s just looking for attention !!

48. By Tbru on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Best resigning since Rod Tidwell

49. By Chris Ross on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I think it’s probably good for the Arizona Cardinal fans that they are going to get their favourite player back for next season but I just don’t think it’s good for the long term interests of the organization. Larry Fitzgerald is a great player but I’m just not sure that he deserves that kind of money as a Wide Receiver. It’s going to be interesting to see what type of team Arizona fields over the next few years and what type of quarterback Kevin Kolb turns out to be. Because great statistical seasons cannot justify Larry Fitzgerald’s contract if the Cardinals don’t win any games. I wonder if that kind of contract will hamper the organization from making significant moves to help the team.

50. By johnjohn1105 on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals check list:
    Get a franchise quarterback- checked
    Resign Larry Fitzgerald- checked
    Get the best talent in the NFL draft- checked
    Get a real defensive coordinator- checked
    Address the Corner back position- checked ( a lot of depth with PP21 ,Greg Toler, Richard Marshall and AJ Jerfferson)

All we need now is to address our OLine and add depth to our LB and DLine and we are talking about a Super Bowl contender and not just a team in a weak delivision.

Let’s go #Birdgang!

51. By georgiebird on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Cards made a bold move in signing Fitz. He’s a great player and a great person. I am sure Fitz is a guy who won’t abuse the 8 year contract and $50M guarantee.
    Here’s my only question and I will use a baseball analogy. A couple of years ago, the baseball Cardinals signed Matt Holliday to a similar 8 year $120M contract (all guaranteed). Since that time, the STL Cards have been very thrifty/cheap (see Albert Pujols contract negotiations).
    I hope the AZ Cardinals will not be hamstrung by the Kolb/Fitgerald signings when it comes to building a SB caliber team.

52. By bluepitt on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Yup I just need the attention! Funny thing is People like me call People like You “Cattle” You see one thing you like and all the Garbage we have been fed is forgiven!
    Garbage? You say?
    Well let me help you understand where I am at as a fan of the AZ Card’s!
    I have spent years taking beatings from ..Well just about every Other Teams fans on how “My Cards” Will never Ever be a contender due to upper management and the Bottom line! I defend them till the end!
    Then 2008 hits and we finally have a team that can contend! With our “Core Players”.

I hear Graves tell us fans that the Cardinals are committed to doing every thing it takes to keep our “Core Players Intact”. And I believed him…
    Lets see Who Did we play in the SB? (Now pay attention to these teams Im going to name off) Well it was the Steelers and the next year who did we have a show down with in game one of the playoffs? It was the Packers.
    Who knocked us out of the playoffs that year? it was the Saints Dat Who!
    Now look at the team we had.. All those Core players were in tact!
    What do those teams I mentioned have in common? All now have a SB victory under their belts! Heck the team we Squeaked by in game on of the playoffs Just won the SB over a team we lost a SB to just 2 seasons ago!

So lets recap, We were in the caliber of champions with our, as graves would say “Core Players” and we let all but 3 (Dock, Fitz, Wilson) go? Call me a fool but we spent like second to last on salary last year! now we give a “Play Maker” a contract worth one and a half times what we paid the whole team in 2010?

Larry is a “Play Maker” not a Game Changer”…When Larry had a bad day with Warner we still Won or had a chance to win, Sure Lary won some games for us. But so did Q, Breston, heck even Rackers..lol Those players are “Play Makers”, Wilson, Dansby, Rolle and Dock Won Some games for us and are “Play Makers” Now Warner he was a “game changer” Im sorry Mr. Fitz is not a Game changer! And not worth “Game Changer” PAY!!!

I watched the presser Larry and Michael gave and All you “Cattle” Just ate it up! I for one heard a Hypocrite at his finest!
    ” Im not one to hold a hammer over anyone’s head”
    Well lets see…. You wanted to see us over spend for a QB and we did (funny how it was the one you were working out with and wanted)
    You wont negotiate after Sept. 4th… and so on and so forth! all you cattle can turn a blind cheek to the lies and hippocratic statements made but I wont!
    I have loved this team from the age of 12 to my current age of 35! We had a Winner and they tore it apart! (They being Graves and Whiz) Michael and the rest of the management I think are trying!

PS: Darren I spoke to one of my long time friends (I went to highschool with him) (who just coincidently happened to be a card a long long time ago who just coincidently Played with warner in STL) and he conformed to me that Warner was Well aware of the pending trade to Balt for Q, well prior to his retirement announcement! Ask around…. Warner did say he wouldn’t play in AZ with out Q! (Man of his word)
    Hay was warner worth “Game Changer” $$$$ Na Fitz can just throw it and catch it himself!
    You people..oh I mean “Cattle” don’t like it when people call it how it is!
    Have fun posting on here Cattle!!!!!
    I’m Done!

PSS: Darren Im gone now you can sigh, the real and hard questions are over now! Back to coddeling those “Real True Fans now”

53. By bluepitt on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

LAST POST EVER!!!!
    Most of these posts are from non fans giving a non biast opinion!!!!!!
    Here is some of the non Cards fans post’s… Im not alone!!!!!

“master_of_none_00 9 hours ago Report Abuse

I just laughed and laughed… I mean what was the point of the lockout again? and the signing sadly proves that the Cardinals are only interested in making money in terms of marketing and selling season tickets…

there is NO way you can invest that much money in two players (Fitzgerald and Kolb) and construct a Superbowl team….. apart from the QB all other investments should be expendable… look at the Patriots, Steelers and the Pack…..
    Patriot 4 Life 9 hours ago Report Abuse
    I can’t stand this wretched franchise.. they will never know what it means to win in this league. I don’t like many players outside of the Patriots, but I’ll tell ya something. I respect the hell out of Kurt Warner. The way the Cardinals treated him was disgusting. Switching him back & forth for years with that wuss Leinhart. What an insult that was. WHO THE HELL WAS MAKING THAT CALL?!?!?! Then Warner takes that pathetic team to the Superbowl on his back and would have won if the other Cardinals had stepped up to his level of play. Those wretched Pissburgh yellow stained towel swinging bums SHOULD NOT have won that game. KURT WARNER DESERVES TO BE IN THE HALL OF THE FAME.. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT
    Dmnted 6 hours ago Report Abuse
    First off, he’s an amazing wr, extremely good at what he does. But, that is way too much for a wr….or any player really.
    sakuraba 26 minutes ago Report Abuse
    I think he’s the best in the league but, thats alot of money!
    Baconbits 10 hours ago Report Abuse
    Way to cripple the franchise for years! Well, at least they have ONE good offensive channel left, too bad every team knows this and with their OL Kolb will have about 1.2 seconds to find Fitz on every play
    Mike 11 hours ago Report Abuse
    Great player. No way I’d put all of my eggs in one basket like that. Bad contract.
    Victor Petiella 11 hours ago Report Abuse
    hahahahahaha…typical Cardinals blunder……this move will mess up your team for years…..how old will he be when the contract is done….??
    Christopher James 11 hours ago Report Abuse
    Way to go F#qhead Cardinals. WAY TO HIGH!!..Every single cost is passed onto the fans. Way to screw the fans,,,again!
    Mix 13 hours ago Report Abuse
    Good for him, he’s got a soft conf. and reg season . Arizona should win 11 games, and lose in first round, really don’t do any thing for team, except has a good head on shoulders. Team still needs to get more players, but that will not happen, he’s got most of money, so look for this team to go thur motions.
    Younzer 14 hours ago Report Abuse
    Fitz might be the best WR in the game today, but it seems crazy to pay that kind of money to any WR. It’s the easiest position of all for which to find an adequate replacement. See Owens Terrel, Moss Randy, Burress Plaxico and Holmes Santonio.
    That said, best of luck to Larry Fitzgerald, one of the good guys in the NFL.. May he have a long, productive and injury free career.
    servantofchrist 14 hours ago Report Abuse
    Fitz and his agent are geniuses for making this money all before the age of thirty. and yes while athletes are grossly over paid, other top tier guys would do well to either hire fitzs agent or take a page out of their negotiation playbook.
    QB money for a WR, incredible.
    ee11 15 hours ago Report Abuse
    Nothing against Fitzgerald ,but the NFL owners are as dumb as ever ,even after the lockout still over spending
    RobertM 15 hours ago Report Abuse
    The deal looks great for Fitz, but too risky for the Cards. Too many bad things can happen to a reciever in 8 years. A 4 to 5 year deal would have been safer. @#$% luck anyway!!!
    WAKE UP AMERICA! 16 hours ago Report Abuse
    Why do they pay anyone so much money for catching a football (or anything else for that matter – he’s an employee; if you own a biz and earn $120 million, that’s ok – but he’s hired help – sorry. this is terrible, but i hope something happens so that he can’t play a game – and the stupid cardinals have to pay him 50 mil for never catching another ball. it’s the players’ fault for asking for so much, and owners’ fault for paying it. the cardinals have never been winners – kurt warner was a winner, and was the reason they shocked the over-confident eagles 6-1 favorite eagles to get to the big dance. i was at the game, and the eagles fell apart for about 33 minutes, then took the lead – just took too much gas out of them to keep it, and the cards won by one score – if they almost beat the steelers, think what the eagles would have done to them? the cardinals have still only won about 5 playoff games total in 23 years here – and fitzgerald has been on the team for four or so of them – what’s the big deal? sorry but if your name is bidwell, you’re an idiot who cannot put a winner on the field
    WAKE UP AMERICA! 16 hours ago Report Abuse
    These deals will KILL the SPORT – I CANNOT Afford to take my family to a football game as it is, because they have to charge $50 per ticket to pay punks like Fitz SO MUCH MONEY. I don’t know this to be true, but I’d be surprised of Rosenhaus isn’t his agent – at least I HOPE he is; otherwise, we have ANOTHER BLOODSUCKER OUT THERE
    Rinski 18 hours ago Report Abuse
    Nice deal considering he is 3 years away from a major deline. Did the Mets owners take over the Cardinals?
    richard r 18 hours ago Report Abuse
    go redbirds you will finish 3-13 this year / you have the worse owners and GM in the league !!! Rod Graves sucks
    Jakub 19 hours ago Report Abuse
    Didn’t they give him a new deal like two years ago and then decline to renew boldin’s contract because there was no money left for him? With this money, they could’ have bought two quality lineman, a solid rb, and probably have kept boldin, but no lets invest all of our money into someone who will probably be triple covered all year, and put our faith into a wildly inconsistent qb. Another genius move by the Bidwills.

It’s so hard being a cardinal’s fan.
    Steve A 21 hours ago Report Abuse
    haha he gets paid more then most qb’s the cards will never win a super bowl.
    houston wide out johnson will be holding out nest season for 120 mil to lol
    why did they have a lock out again
    STEALTH 22 hours ago Report Abuse
    That’s too much… Larry Fitzgerald is my favorite non-Packer, non-Wisconsin alum in pro football, but that is steep. Luckily for the Cardinals it’s not like a baseball contract. In the last years of the deal they can either re-negotiate or cut him if worse comes to worse. Anyway, happy for Fitzgerald. Dominating negotiations like he dominates on the field.Reply
    skorepo 23 hours ago Report Abuse
    larry was a ball boy for the vikings when he was a kid i’ve always liked him he has been a great Wr But 13.5 mil a year is a little steep isnt
    LATER BEEEEOCHES!!!!!!!!!

54. By clssylssy on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

I don’t get all the objection to paying a wide receiver the kind of money being paid to Larry Fitzgerald. It’s called the concept of payment based on merit and contribution to the organization. Since being signed in 2004 Fitzgerald has brought a certain enthusiasm to the organization with his positive energy, his dynamic plays, and his humble appreciation to the fans as well as to his employers. He has been a credit to the NFL and a model of sportsmanship and integrity parents want their children to emulate. Fitz has been a leader as much as any quarterback in the league and is deserving of being paid for his tireless devotion to elevating the standard of a sport we all love. Congratulations Fitz, we love you and are proud you have become the face of the Arizona Cardinals!

55. By brad oneill on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Chris Ross- you state that fitz is only a wide receiver. That is not true he is quite possibly the best wide receiver in the league. And he is a solid citizen on top of being a great receiver. What fitz will bring to the cardinals over the next 8 years is a chance to win. He won’t do it all by himself but he is a strong enough piece of the puzzle that other people will be drawn here. People like Todd Heap, Kevin Kolb see a chance to be part of a winning team and sign up and maybe even some will show up and play for a little less than they otherwise would command.
    fitz has the potential to make the hall of fame. He is loved by the fans even the casual fan knows who he is and has a favorable opinion of the guy. He didn’t get that money entirely because of his football skills he got some of it because he is a marketable guy. He makes the cardinals more valuable as a franchise. We can now say he is part of our community and that is worth a hell of a lot.

56. By cardsalltheway on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Blueprint,
    You have a point, but I like you I’m sure hope the best for everyone!

57. By cardsalltheway on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren, lousy updating!
    I say take Terrelle Pryor in the 3rd(if possible), and if he remains in the 4th and the Cards don’t take him then someone ought to pay the price ~ be fired.

58. By Patrick Eagan on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I love Larry Fitzgerald. He is the best Receiver in the NFL. The way he carries himself in such a professional mannor makes me love him that much more. I hope I can be half the man Larry Fitzgerald is.

59. By clssylssy on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Blupitt: You promised us that would be your last post…wonder if you are a man of your word. I’m sure the 9ers would welcome you as a fan …although maybe not as there really is no place in sports for your brand of negativity. Warner was a great guy, but I was at Cardinal games when he started out and was booed off the field. Fitzgerald is a PLAY MAKER but football is a team sport and so while there are many who contribute, only a few are the ones who seal the deal. Boldin didn’t want to stay in Arizona and while many of us (including Fitzgerald) miss having him on the team, players come and go and part of the challenge is always going to be rebuilding. Warner still had a year on his contract so if you want to be mad, be mad that he didn’t honor his commitment. This is new day so be with us or move on. GO CARDS! RISE UP RED SEA…WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

60. By drummer-1 on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@ Blueprint…

Bye Bye……. Want to sell your tickets? IF this signing of Fitz gets you that mad you need to try getting a little help..

61. By Nick Pepe on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@Bluepitt
    Good and bye.

62. By brad oneill on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Bluepitt- quoting other stupid people doesn’t make you any less stupid.

63. By Nick Pepe on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@Brad and Clssy
    You both nailed it. The trickle down effect of Fitz’s extension can’t be measured in dollars. This is huge deal for the Cards. Great stuff.

@Cardsallthe
    T. Pryor ?? Got a laugh out of that one.

64. By D on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Any idea on what the current cap is right now with Larry’s deal?
    Thanks

65. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

D —

RE: Cap space

I do not know yet.

66. By John the draft guy on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I’m a little lost why we can’t discuss issues anymore. Whatever the subject, one side attacks and then the other side explodes. I really don’t get it.

But to the subject, Blueprint has some validity to his earlier comment. Tony Dungy said he wouldnt pay one player (other than QB) that kind of money. He believes it hurts the teams ability to sign players needed to win it all. I get that. There is a cap, and when you think of that kind of money, you think Brady, Manning, or Brees. Guys who are the face of the team. These guys win with subpar guys around them. Is Fitz in that class? Our 5-11 says no.

With that being said, I think the cards had to sign Fitz. Why? In much of the same way they had to trade for Kolb. Both moves give the cards the best chance of winning now and the future. In both cases, they gave up more than they should. But they were faced with a fan base that doesn’t want to go back to the old 4-12 days, a head coach who is all about winning, and some vets like Dockett, Wilson, and Rhodes who wanted to see the cards move in the right direction. Both moves did this. Look at the post and listen to the fans. They are excited about their team. Most believe these moves will help us win the West.
    and , We still were able to sign vets like Bradley,Marshall, King and Heap.

So, did we pay too much? That all depends if Kolb and Fitz lead us to the big dance, but most likely, yes. Did they have a choice? No, In my opinion, both deals had to be done. Am I happy with both these deals? Absolutely.

67. By D on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Before the upcoming cut’s in the next two weeks, I think the best available UFA Vet RB right now is B. Westbrook.
    (I hear Portis showed up in NE 20lbs over weight)
    Probably will wait to sign to see what may become available

68. By nooner on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

wow it sounds like to me that bluespitt is bandwagoneer you probably only root for the cards when they are winning so why don’t you go to oakland or san fran and dream about the days of montana/young and stabler/plunkett days you winer

69. By Scott H on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

bluepitt –

If you’re not reading this, then I’m glad. If you are reading this, then you’re a fraud for not keeping your word. But I’m willing to give ya another chance…