Whiz delivers expected R. Williams news

Posted by Darren Urban on August 20, 2011 – 1:40 pm

There were no miracles. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said that running back Ryan Williams does indeed have a ruptured patellar tendon after further examination, and he is out for the season. Surgery should come in the next few days, and they hope to have him back for training camp in 2012. They will add a running back, although Whisenhunt isn’t sure to what level — he could just be a camp body taking needed extra camp reps/preseason plays, or it could be someone more. Any vet has to be researched, Whisenhunt said. Chemistry is a big deal, and the newcomer has to know his role.

Current fourth-stringer Alfonso Smith is a “viable candidate” Whisenhunt said.

Tags: , ,

40 Responses to “Whiz delivers expected R. Williams news”

1. By Eugene on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Man, this is some sad sad news.

I certainly do hope he comes back at 100% next year. My best wishes to Mr. Williams. I’m sure we’ll be talking about him plenty next year.

It’s all on Mr. Wells back now.

2. By Jzoully on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Well I really like Alfonso, but now there is an unstable feeling behind Beanie (Considering LaRod takes majority of kickoff returns). Might players like Clinton Portis or Kevin Smith fit our mold for the Cardinals?

3. By alex u on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Kevin Smith. He’s good.

4. By cardsfan007 on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

GET CLINTON PORTIS!!!!!!!

5. By George on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I wish the best for Ryan Williams. I hate to see anyone get hurt. You can tell this young man has talent. I hope he comes back next year and does well. I have no dought he will work hard during his rehab and be in great shape at the start of 2012 camp.

6. By brad oneill on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

man, tough news for a great kid. Well i hope he uses this time to study his future is very bright. I would like to point out that he didn’t lose the ball despite the injury and that shows his heart.

does he count against cap if he is on injured reserve? does he still get paid his salary?

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Brad —

RE: IR

Yes he counts on the cap and yes he still gets paid.

8. By georgiebird on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

41 years ago, Cards #1 draft Larry Stegent hurt his leg in his 1st preseason game- never gained a yard in the NFL.
    Hope Ryan comes back in 2012- I was looking forward to watching his explosive style.
    At this time the fans should remember a couple of points:
    1) Cards are going nowhere unless the defense makes a big improvement (last nights 97 yarder even though it was against 3rd stringers looked all so familiar.
    2) all teams will suffer big time injuries-so it’s up to our coaches and FO to be better than the opposition in plugging the holes

9. By MIKE G on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Nice write up on “What’s next for the running backs”–I hope Alfonso Smith can step up and seize the moment – If not I hope we can find a nice back to help us in the waiver wire. I just think we are weak at running back because we don’t have a dependable back to count on in the blocking game and can Beanie be durable enough to play a whole season. I question those things big time. This is my last rant on Hightower but did you see he had a 58 yard run and a TD for the Skins!!! ouch!!! Which two players stood out to you last night??? I thought C Campbell and Dockett played well!!!

10. By Chad on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Didn’t Clinton Portis get picked up by the Pats?

If we do get a vet, I’d prefer a vet that could teach Beanie the value of hard work and preparation.

11. By MikeFlorio on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Lendale White!!!
    Tiki Barber!!!
    MIKE BELL!!!!!

12. By John the draft guy on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Brian Westbrook or Clinton Portis would make sense. Both of these guys can pass block and catch passes out of the backfield. Beanie is the pounder, but his pass blocking is subpar, and I’m not 100% sold on LSH handling a linebacker or DE on a regular basis.

On PP; he had good coverage but didnt react to the ball. What was worse was the safety Abdullah didn’t get over there in time. Problem was, this was not the only play on both of them. For PP being labeled the best player in the draft, can anyone tell me any thing he has done in a game that point to that? I know, limited time and preseason-not sold on him at CB

On offense; The first time in a long time Beanie impressed me. The Oline opened holes and protected Kolb. Roberts made plays in both catching and blocking and so did Housler. Kolb missed Fitz twice, but thats going to happen early. But overall, the offense is looking good.

On Bartel; Didn’t know who he was when we signed him last year but he is impressing me this preseason. 1 bad decision but 2 TD drives. Has QB become a strength???

On S. Williams; reminded me of Roberto Duran, hands of stone. (someone explain to the youngsters who Duran is) Really bad blocking, dropped passes, This guy is up and down. I’m thinking its time to move Sampson into the 4 spot.
    Looks like Stuckey is the odd man out.

On Ryan Williams; he really impressed me. I was very excited about this guy. Sorry for the guy. At times like this, you wish you traded for Reggie Bush.Where is that crystal ball?

Other games; What’s up with the dream team. 3 td passes? And how bad are the Colts without Peyton? What ever he makes is not enough.

13. By BEENIE MAN-NAH TALK TO LONG on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Ryan Williams sorry to hear about the knee injury and good luck with the recovery
    bro. I really thought the defense played well 3 of the 4 sacks came from the
    defensive line and normally you would expect in this particular 3-4 system for
    the linebackers to be the aggressive ones good job.

As for RB Kevin smith he’s o.k, but Laurance Maroney or Ian Johnson if he’s cut from the Lions would probably be a better fit.

14. By Jim on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I didn’t know that Kevin Smith was available. He may very well be the best way to go regardless of who may be cut from other teams, unless of course Minnesota decides that they want to cut AP!

15. By Phoenixraven1 on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Very sad but great opportunity for AlfonsoSmith kid could be good too…

16. By Tbru on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Best wishes Ryan Williams

17. By Eric Y on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Damn! What a downer. It sounded like he was really going to shine too

18. By RW Beast on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Very tough news for a great young man. Ryan, work hard on rehab so you can continue to shine next season. Good Luck

19. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I’m thinking Wells, Smith and LaRuSH may be enough.
    The Cards are going to carry 4 TEs and a Sherman already, so unless you want to replace Smith, the backfield is set.

20. By Craig C on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I’m so sorry the Ryan Williams was injured. I know he is frustrated and disappointed being injured, especially so early in his career. Get better soon, Ryan! You’ll come back in 2012.

21. By Scott H on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Great…just friggin wonderful. Ya know, I already didn’t like the fact that we traded away Hightower for Vonnie Holliday…and now I like it even less.

22. By jlmora_77@yahoo.com on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

WILLIAMS UR A BEAST UR IN MY PRAYERS IF ANY ONE CAN COME BACK ITS U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. By Tim Pino on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Very sad news with RB R.Williams. I think a nice solid vet like Tiki Barber could eb the perfect mentor to Beanie Wells while adding a solid veteran presence to the huddle.

Darren- do you think Tiki is a possibility?

Thanks,
    ~Tim in NJ

24. By cardsalltheway on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Weren’t we the 32nd ranked rushing team in 2010, what’s the difference in 2011? We lost Tim Hightower, Alan Faneca, etc…Didn’t draft any O linemen and lost Ryan Williams for the season. Unless those free agent signings on the OL and TE’s help, we are doomed.
    What a waste of a 2nd round draft pick given R. Williams injury history/running style, and RB’s are a dime a dozen.

25. By Matt T on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

-Darren,

Do you think the Cardinals FO has any interest in RB, Caleb King from Georgia in the supplemental Draft this monday? Would be a nice pick, if we can get him for a sixth or seven draft pick in the lottery system.

26. By Zach on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Do you think that Tiki Barber is a possible candidate for the Cardinals? I would think he might be worth the gamble. He could at least teach Beanie Wells a thing or two about ball carrying.

27. By alex u on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Clinton Portis, Mike Bell? Why are you guys even discussing these players? we need a “shifty” RB like Ryan Williams, which would be Kevin Smith. Beanie still has a lot to prove after a dissapointing season because of an injury setback, just like Kevin Smith. So I’m saying we get Smith ’cause he’s young, and he had an amazing rookie season (just like Beanie) before getting hurt the next season, again, just like Beanie. Kevin Smith in his two almost full seasons got around 800-900 recieving yards in 29 games, before missing almost all of last year. And on the plus side we can Keep Smith if Beanie fails or if Williams recovery doesn’t go so well, because he is so young (24).

28. By Fred on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

smith ran hard, looked good, works hard he might be able to come in and fill the gap,

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Tim —

RE: More Tiki

No, Tiki is not an option.

30. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Matt T —

RE: King

I don’t see it. I could be wrong.

31. By Wow on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

So many things wrong with what I’ve read here.. Get tiki Barber? Really, the dude is 36, hasnt played in 4 years and is a whiny B*^*.. He’ll teach Beanie to hold onto the ball? are you damn stupid? Tiki had worse security issues than Hightower (Who also has worse issues than Beanie) Kinda the reason Hightower is gone. Beanie had 1 fumble last year for those of you who keep believing that Beanie fumbles all the time, try Hightowers 9 fumbles in the past 2 season, compared to Beanies 5 (4 in rookie year and 1 last season) God I love how hightower’s suckiness somehow drags down Beanies potential

32. By jaystene on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Its a shame about Ryan Williams, i was looking foward to seeing how this kid was gonna do this season, he has got some talent. Beanie Wells did play good and I think he will continue to this season. But the person i am most impressed with so far that no one seems to talk about is the TE Rob Housler, this kid can play! he hasn’t dropped a pass and I believe he has caught a pass by all our QBs. I like his speed and ability to run routes and no one can seem to guard him. Just watch I think your gonna see some great TE play this season from the cardinals, something they never had.

33. By Tx Cards fan on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Can we stop second guessing the Hightower trade now? He wasn’t going to sign for what the Cardinals would pay him anyway. He had many chances to run away with the Cardinals Tail back job and he never could. You can’t be a featured back in the NFL if you can hold onto the ball. The cardinals got a solid backup End to push Campbell to be more than just ok for the first time in his career and he needs it also picking up a draft pick. All this for a player the Cardinals weren’t going to pay and had moved on from. Just because Williams is out this year doesn’t mean it wasn’t a good pick and this is Football people get hurt. It doesn’t make them bad players and it doesn’t mean they will never be a good player its part of the game. The Cardinals will sign a veteran after the first roster cuts to add depth and give Wells a chance to sink or swim. If he is half the player the team thought he was when they drafted him in the 1st round then everything will be fine. If not then they know they need to find a back to come in next year and compete with Williams for the starting job.

34. By Mark on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

The Texans have a bunch of good runners from Foster, Tate, Ward, and Slaton one of them are gonna get cut. Maybe we can grab one of them

35. By gilbertcardsfan on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Portis is not explosive enough anymore.
    Tiki is WAY to big of a risk.

Best move for cards would be to get Kevin Smith…. the guy is still young, even though he has had injuries his yard per carry avg has been good. Scored like 8 Td’s his first year when he got a good deal of carries and that was with a not so great team. We can sign him for cheap plus he might stay healthy with his limited carries here. Get Kevin Smith cards!

36. By cardsalltheway on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Who penned the term “running angry” on Ryan Williams? And, since angry is a negative term do you think it is appropriate?

37. By Sean on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Best wishes to Ryan Williams. I hope his surgery and recovery go well and that he can end up making a name for himself in the NFL.

38. By cardsalltheway on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I don’t want to wait one + year(or rely on) for a RB who hasn’t played one play of professional football and who “runs angrily.” Remember Cardinal fans, he didn’t play for part/most of his 2010 college football season due to injury and who will be out for an unprecedented amount of time. Ryan Williams will probably be on crutches for about 6 months and his thigh muscle will shrink a lot. And, despite Ryan Williams history of being injured, I’d say we wouldn’t have been any worse off drafting Da’Quan Bowers.
    We could’ve also had more healthy players such as (OLB’s) Akeem Ayers(Titans) or Bruce Carter(Cowboys), or (OL)Ben Ijalana(Colts), Orlando Franklin(Broncos), Stefen Wisniewski(Raiders), but no, Whiz and Co. thought it would be better to draft a RB in the 2nd round with an injury history after drafting another injury prone player(O’Brien Schofield) the previous year. I like Schofield, but no team should regularly draft players who have been seriously hurt for an extended period of time, especially in an early round!!! Ken W. said…”running angry was good to see.” Sorry Ken W., but I don’t see it as “good.” Is Ken W. going to cheer for Ryan Williams to “Run Angrily” next year? I hope not! I’d rather our RB’s run intelligently, wouldn’t you? How do you like that “angry” person sitting next to you or on your team at work? Why label or give a rookie RB a term such as “angry” who hasn’t played ONE play and which could give other teams a reason to target him more? If I were a defensive player, I’d say…Okay, let’s show this “angry” rookie what being “angry” is all about.
    Admit your mistakes and offer him up for trade bait, what could we get for R. Williams(besides maybe a 7th round pick if lucky)? Cody Brown = Ryan Williams(both 2nd round draft picks). But, didn’t we get more out of Cody Brown? Please, cut out the negative and put down nicknames coach.

39. By cardsalltheway on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Correction, 6 weeks not 6 months but still long enough to shrink the thigh muscle.

40. By Scott H on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Well, I sure hope the Cardinals are more willing to bring in veteran RB than they were to bring in a veteran WR…otherwise, we’re wasting our time wishing and hoping.