• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Iwebema returns as does RB Powell

Posted by Darren Urban on August 22, 2011 – 1:09 pm

The Cardinals have brought back a familiar face, re-signing defensive lineman Kenny Iwebema Monday. Iwebema has been sitting on the sideline since his contract ran out this offseason. Iwebema blew out his knee in November and had been rehabbing. Iwebema said he will begin being limited in practice — special teams and the like — but rehab has gone well. He added that his playing weight is back to normal, in the 280-pound range.

The Cardinals are also bringing back running back William Powell, who was with the team earlier in camp. He’s the body everyone was expecting when Ryan Williams went down; I think the Cards will continue to look at their running back options going forward and even through the rest of the NFL’s final cuts. Finally, the Cards are signing cornerback Thad Turner, who was on the Patriots’ practice squad last season.

The Cards already had a spot open on the 90-man roster. So to make room, the team released cornerback Desia Dunn — who was victimized by a 97-yard touchdown pass in Green Bay — and punter Derek Epperson.

– Whisenhunt said he wasn’t sure if QB John Skelton (ankle sprain) will practice this afternoon.

Tags: , , , ,

34 Responses to “Iwebema returns as does RB Powell”

1. By We Missed Q on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I may have missed it somewhere, but did Whiz explain why Bartel went back in to run the hurry up at the end of the game, rather than Hall who played the previous series?

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

We Missed –

RE: Bartel for Hall

They wanted Bartel to have a chance to run the hurry up. Hall did it the game before.

3. By joe on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

hello , any word on the games when the cards will ware their black jerseys? Have the cards won a game in Black yet?

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Joe –

RE: Black jerseys

No, no word yet. They will wear red against San Diego. That I know.

5. By Scott H on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Ya know what? They wore the black jerseys last year and looked terrible in them. Not the jerseys themselves – the way the team played while wearing them. I don’t care if they wear lavender with pink polka dots, as long as they are playing better and winning games! C’mon, let’s not get caught up on if / when they’re wearing the black jerseys. Because if it looks like they’re on the way to another season down the drain, ARE WE GONNA CARE WHAT COLOR THEY’RE WEARING???

6. By Nick M (SmoothCard) on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad I-Web’s back. He’s a great special teamer, and Solid depth should one of the starters goes down. Tough against the run and I think he can be solid as a 3-4 pass rusher at DE. I just wish he’d stay healthy. He’s a good defensive player.

7. By Dylan Clarke on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren what is Kenny Iwebema chances of making this team? and do you think he could make a impact on this thin D-line?

8. By Dylan Clarke on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Oh ya Darren also William Powell went to Kansas state right?

9. By nrdpmp on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Scott H…

“Because if it looks like they’re on the way to another season down the drain,” Not sure what you have been watching to get this statement. Why don’t you take the negative talk else where…

10. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

IYO, Darren was the reason Iwebema wasn’t brought back until now was because of the rehab?
    The Cards knew what they were getting with him and I thought they were severely undermanned depth- wise on the DL.
    Also, can you post the link about the story you did on him about the chest mass? I seemed to remember that it was one of your better posts. (Not that they’re all not great.) : )

11. By cardsfan007 on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

@Scott H,

Lol, pinks a nice color tho, i wouldnt mind pink.

12. By Javi on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

SO darren, do you think that William Powell s the guy or will they look further into free agency to maybe fin another runnig back?

13. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Just a quick question, I know its probably a rookie mistake but did anyone ask Bartel about his interception in the endzone? I mean there was 3 packers there?
    IDK just curious, Bartel was doing great up until that point and just made me scratch my head?

Also I want to note my Hawaiian Homeboy Reagan ” Poi Pounder” Maui’a is throwing some great lead blocks out there for Benie !!!!

Go Cards!!!

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Dylan –

RE: Iwebema/Powell

He’s got a chance, otherwise they wouldn’t have brought him back. And yes, Powell went to Kansas State.

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Iwebema timing

I think that’s a fair assumption, although I did not ask anyone.

Here’s the link. Sorry it looks a little jacked up; that was transferred over from the old website http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-1/Iwebemas-Cautionary-Tale/4350a09b-8397-11de-8e35-0ee8612ec13e

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Javi –

RE: Powell

I think they will look elsewhere.

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Kauai –

RE: Bartel pick

No I didn’t get a chance to ask him.

18. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Link came over fine.
    Thank you sir, may I have another?

Is Bryan Robinson officially retired?

19. By kaleb on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren- Can kenny slide over and play NT possibly?

20. By Dylan Clarke on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren what do you think of the receiver position Fitz, Doucet, Roberts, Sampson, Steve Willams and Komar seem to me will all make the team and I do not see then adding a 7th receiver do you? and if so who out of the group would be dropped?Stevie Willams and Komar would be the only two options of getting released(unless we keep seven) and realistically Jeffcoat, Isaiah Williams, Stuckey, Nichols and Curry-Chapman are not making this team (barring a very unlikely absolute breakout from one of them in the next two games) anything you would like to add or inform me on? Thanks Darren and go Cardinals!

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: B Robinson

Not that I know of.

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Kaleb –

RE: Iwebema

Pretty light for a nose tackle, but anything is possible.

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Dylan –

RE: Receivers

I see them keeping six. Stuckey may be a hard choice because of his experience.

24. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Sorry for keeping you up but, I’ve asked this question in my mind more than once-
    the WR statement got me talking, any chance Early Doucet is one of the final cuts?

25. By dylan clarke on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Also Darren if we keep stucky who is out of the mix? komar or willams? i know willams has been struggling but he has made some plays too

26. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Doucet

I would be stunned.

27. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Dylan –

RE: WR

We will see. Not sure how it would sort out.

28. By D.Blair on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I am telling you all William Powell is a sleeper! He is a big play threat with great instincts & speed! If Beanie Wells dont just blow us all away this season Powell will work his way up the chart & next year it will be William Powell & Ryan Williams 1-2punch MARK MY WORDS

29. By cards62 on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

D. Blair I hope you are correct about William Powell, but I think he is just meat for camp and will get cut, and you are wrong about Beanie Wells as he will gain over 1,100 yards this year. Tim Hightower receiving and rushing will also gain over 1,100 yards this year. A. Smith I do not know if he makes the team or not. I think it depends on other teams cuts at the RB position. I think we keep 2 full backs. Sherman maybe on the practice squad.

LSH has not flashed for me in the preseason like I was thinking he would. I really like his game. What are others thinking about LSH?

WR – I do not know if he sticks but I like I. Williams. Stuckey I will be shocked if he is not cut. He is not showing me anything. I think we keep Fitz, Doucet, Roberts, Sampson, S. Williams and either Komar or I. Williams.

I like the Kenny I. signing. I think he plays hard and will help us on special teams.

I like the release of Dunn and a few other DBs who will be released after our 3rd game. We are lucky that we get to face Rivers and Rogers in the preseason especially games 2 and 3. My opinion we do not face any QB during the regular season as good as these 2 so our defense really gets tested especially our secondary for free.

I do not know why we released punter Derek Epperson. He punted twice last game very well and Ben Graham had a very poor punt that lead to a GB touchdown. I am not saying cut Ben Graham over 1 punt I would just have both of them punt in the SD game.

This is my shocker prediction. If Skelton can not play in the SD game and Bartel plays as well as he did the first 2 games. Bartel will be second string QB for the Carolina game. I do not think Skelton is doing poorly I just think Bartel is getting a lot of reps for a reason and Bartel knows where to go with the ball. I know he is not playing against 1st stringers and he had the very bad interception, but he throws a good catchable ball and knows where to go with the ball. Skelton tape it up and play against SD if you can. Okay Skelton lovers blast me, but please be constructive.

Go Cards

30. By JamesP on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

You’ve mentioned him a few times, but I don’t think Isaiah Williams is getting enough credit. He has some natural ability that I don’t see too often. Is he a practice squad guy again? I don’t see the advantage with keeping Komar over him. The upside is so much in Williams’ favor.

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

JamesP –

RE: I Williams

I think you have a valid point. I do think Isaiah is in the mix.

32. By JamesP on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Last on I. Williams. I don’t understand why nobody in the Cardinals community seems to be pointing out that Jim Dray and Isaiah Williams not only played on the same high school team for 4 years but also graduated in the same class. I can’t imagine that that is too common of a happening in the NFL. High school classmates on the same team and, in the preseason, oftentimes on the field together.

33. By Scott H on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

nrdpmp -

First, why don’t you stop telling others where to take themselves or what kind of attitude to have? Funny how passion is often mistaken for negativity…you don’t seem to get that but that’s not my issue. Look, dude, all I’m saying is this – last year, so many people got caught up in the black jerseys and, meanwhile, our season WAS going down the tubes. Did ya happen to notice any of the 11 games that we lost??? I don’t care what jerseys the team is wearing. I want a better team and more wins, period. THAT will make me happy. What do you find to be so negative about that???

2. Aug 23, 2011: Hawkeyes in the NFL: 8/23/2011 | The High Porch Picnic