Adrian Wilson — in No. 24 — returns to practice

Posted by Darren Urban on August 23, 2011 – 5:50 pm

He was limited and still must be wary of setbacks. But safety Adrian Wilson, just a few weeks since tearing a biceps at the Red-White practice, was back on the field Tuesday.

He wore his pads and helmet and while he didn’t do everything — and while there was no tackling anyway, for anyone — he worked some 7-on-7 and 9-on-7 and even a little bit of 11-on-11 early in the workout.

“It felt good to be back out,” Wilson said. “Still getting some rust out. We’ll see where I am at (in) September. Everything is on the up and up.”

(Here is video of Wilson’s return).

If Wilson was serious about returning for the opener, and of course he is, he needed to start getting some work. Today was the perfect opportunity, knowing he could run and get in the right positions (nothing wrong with his legs) and start practicing with his teammates and letting his teammates get a feel for him again.

“Just for me mentally and for my guys as well, training camp is such a grind and anytime you have an injury it takes a toll mentally,” Wilson said. “I just wanted to make sure I was doing the things I needed to do to get back.”

He said he was “pushing” to return for the Carolina game Sept. 11, the season opener. “Hopefully, that’s the day,” Wilson said. “We’ll see. It’s all up to the Coach, all up to the medical staff.”

Wilson said he wasn’t the only one excited to have him back out, but that his teammates got a boost. Rehab will continue. He said he didn’t know what the timetable should have been to get to this point and won’t say he is ahead of a rehab curve (although it sure feels that way, doesn’t it?).

Perhaps the strangest part of the day wasn’t Wilson’s return but his jersey. I don’t remember the last time he didn’t wear No. 2 (personal motivation, trying to become the No. 1 safety in the NFL) or No. 9 (his high school number). But there he was in his game number: 24. Significance? Not really.

“I didn’t even realize that was me,” Wilson deadpanned. “I think that was the only jersey in my locker. I think they took my other jersey (9) because I got hurt in it. There’s a lot of superstition going on around here.”

Tags:

31 Responses to “Adrian Wilson — in No. 24 — returns to practice”

1. By Javi on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

darren, since max hall did come down, and also skelton, do you beleive the cards might bring in a veteran free agent QB to back up kolb?

(THAT IS IF SKELTON IS NOT AROUND FOR THE SEASON)

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Javi —

RE: QB

They will bring in a QB. But I expect Skelton and Bartel to be Kolb’s backups.

3. By MIKE G on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren– Nice Cardinal Underground– Certainly you have to give Wilson credit for practicing and being a leader on this team. I just hope he doesnt come back too early and winds up hurting himself again. I hope Rashad Johnson plays well the final 2 pre-season games so we can trust him to play some crucial snaps in the regular season. We need him to step up and help this team.

4. By Code on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

The guy is such an animal. I wish he got the credit he deserves. I can’t say enough good things about him, true professional and a hell of an athlete.

5. By Jair on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

since bartel is doing good in practice nd preseason nd skelton being hurt do u see him maybe sneaking up as the cards #2 qb?

6. By Scott H on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Damn, it sure does look beautiful where the Cardinals practice! I must say, Darren, it must be good to be you!

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Jair —

RE: No. 2

I think that’s possible, but I still think Skelton is the guy.

8. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Did he wear one of those Kurt Warner type of sling restrictions that has a “bar” between the bicep and forearm that constricts the extending of the arm?
    I commented a few training camps ago in public about Wilson wearing “2” playfully saying out loud that he was “half the man he used to be.”

Glad he didn’t hear me then, and hope he doesn’t hear me now.

9. By Harley in Albuquerque on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

even hurt and only half strength #24 is still better than half the NFL….

10. By John on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Oh, I hope A-dub is there so he can destroy Carolina on opening day.

11. By BIG RED on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Wish John Skelton a quick recovery. Bartell keep up the good work. I saw you play, when you where with the Redskins and I like what I saw. Even if it was a pre-season game, but you did good. Hall, just forget about football and thank the lord for the good times he gave you. At least you can say you played Pro football.

12. By Brad on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Beanie, the only time Beanie makes yards is if a gap opens up for him, or there is space in front of him, he can’t create space, any big play Beanie makes is just from space, any rb can make those plays, i just hope Larod SH stays healthy as I expect we’ll need him in the running game this year…

13. By NJAzCardsFan on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Darren- Do you see Stuckey on the bubble and I. Willaims going to the practice squad?
    I hope they give A. Smith alot of carries against SD. I think is going to impress quite a few folks.
    When are the roster cuts made after the SD game?- Sat? Mon?

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: WRs

I do see Stuckey on the bubble. Williams too, for that matter.
    Cuts will probably be made Monday, I would guess. Must be done by Aug. 30.

15. By Scharf on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

@Brad,

Finally somebody who agrees with me regarding Beanie. Whenever I think about it, anytime I have ever brought up the Hightower/Beanie comparison, many people would immediately go to fumbles. However, when you look at a wider view of it. Hightower was the better back and the Redskins got a steal in the trade for him. Hightower has improved every year and I feel he will break the 1,000 yard mark this season based on his career as a Cardinal and not by his preseason performance this year. Unfortunately the back I was rooting for (R. Williams) was hurt… I was so looking forward to seeing another #34 beating out Beanie, guess it will have to be #36 this year.

16. By Louisville Card on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren, great article as always. Happy to hear A Dub is back on the field, and really excited about the season. I’ve watched many players through the years go down because of injury and it seems just like in every day life that the people who recover the best are the ones with the most positive outlook on things. Which is why Adrian is already back playing I believe that and he’s a beast. My question to you is have you seen Ryan Williams around since his injury and if so how would you say he’s reacting to his injury? Is he upbeat and making lemonade out of lemons? Also any news on Adams return?

17. By Vic on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren what runningback do you think will come to the cards

18. By VIctor on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

will tiki barber come to the Cards

19. By cardsalltheway on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Do you think A-Dubs injured bicep muscle is “cool?” That is what one Cardinal voice said about it. I think it’s great having him out there(period) and knowing he can’t treat his seemingly addiction to lifting weights as usual. An A-Dub without upper weights might not be so bad?

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Rehab guys

Williams isn’t with the team, and won’t be for many weeks. He has to stay off the leg for a while. Adams is rehabbing every day up here.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Vic —

RE: RB

Not sure anyone will. They are looking at A. Smith.

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Victor —

RE: Tiki Barber

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Wilson weights

Adrian has done it the same way since he got to the league, and he believes it has helped him become a Pro Bowler. Tough to go away from that.

24. By Dennis on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Running Back is once again a problem area for the Cards and will put undo pressure on the passing game.
    I don’t see the Cards gaining more than 1000 yards as a team. Hightower will flourish in Shanahan’s system and will probably out gain the entire Cards Team.
    Why can’t we develop the same system/scheme????
    Ricky Williams would probably gain more yards than anyone we currently have on the roster.

25. By Phatt Matt on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren–

With less chance for kickoff returns, do you see rb’s like darren sproles and the hyphen playing larger roles in the offense?

26. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

phatt matt —

RE: KOR on offense

Possibly. We will have to see how the kickoff things works out.

2. Aug 24, 2011: Around the NFC West: Adrian Wilson’s arm at hoops227.org
  3. Aug 24, 2011: [Cardinals News] Cardinals SS Adrian Wilson Returns To Practice, Pushing To Play Season Opener - GridironFans.com
  4. Aug 26, 2011: Adrian Wilson resumes practicing Tuesday | Fantasy Demon
  5. Sep 2, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogAdrian Wilson should play opener «
  6. Feb 13, 2012: Word From the Birds BlogWilson’s workload was heaviest in NFL «