Cards waive Hall, add Croyle and veteran punter

Posted by Darren Urban on August 24, 2011 – 8:41 am

The debate over whether Max Hall could make it back to the Cardinals’ roster is over for this year. After suffering a subluxed left shoulder in practice Monday, Hall was waived-injured Wednesday. If Hall clears waivers, he ends up on injured reserve.

The Cardinals did end up signing veteran quarterback Brodie Croyle to fill the third quarterback spot, with John Skelton still sidelined with a right ankle sprain. They also signed veteran punter Dave Zastudil to battle Ben Graham. The other move to make roster room was to release undrafted rookie free agent tackle Jake Vermiglio.

Zastudil kicked for the Ravens and Browns from 2002-2009, missing all of last season with — coincidentally, given the events with running back Ryan Williams — a torn patella tendon in his plant leg. Zastudil has averaged 42.7 yards a punt in his career.

As for Croyle, I wouldn’t expect him to be able to beat out Rich Bartel or Skelton. He’ll be around for the balance of camp. Maybe he can show something in the final two weeks, but it will be difficult.

Tags: , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “Cards waive Hall, add Croyle and veteran punter”

1. By cardsalltheway on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Thank the lord if there is one that M. moxie ha ha Hall is gone. What a joke and only one reason on top of others I’ve lost respect in Ken W. Now, if he can change things(minus the negative name/nickname calling) this year then that would be fantastic. Nepotism is not my business nor is local favorites. I’ve always shown confidence in J. Skelton but if Bartel looks like he can do it then play the man, I only care about results. I don’t care about who sits next to who in the cafe/lunchroom like Ken W. does.

2. By Big Red Fan on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

A challenge to Ben Graham? The only punter that could be considered an offensive weapon? What’s going on there???

3. By Paul H on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Whiz must want to light a fire under Graham. He is the FG holder also so if he was let go then that would impact Feely. It’s a big risk but I must say that Graham has been kicking very mediocre since last season. I guess his age is becoming a factor. I would think he would have to really stink the last two pre-season games.

4. By MikeFlorio on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Croyle is a solid addition, the release of Hall is a welcome event. I can still remember last yr on FOX, when Terry Bradshaw said that Hall was just to small of a guy with little hands. “To be an effective QB in this league, you have go to have big hands to put touch on some passes, and be able to throw it hard down field, Hall just has small hands.”

Unrelated and you have already posted this I am sure URB, When are the dates for cutting our rosters down??

5. By Tony on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Go Cards Im looking forward to this season after this crazy offseason

6. By Kenzie Field on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Why would they bring in someone to compete with Graham? He is a specialist at getting the ball within the 20 yard line, and even better, within the 10. Combine that with the Hyphen, and Adams (when he returns healthy), our punting team can be awesome. Just not sue why they would bring in someone to compete with him. There is no competition.

7. By Brent Glenn on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

It’s too bad Hall couldn’t make it in the NFL. I was pulling for him since we attended the same High School and College. But after the game in Seattle last year it became painfully apparent that he was a great college guy but there was no way he would really make it in the NFL. Best of luck to him.

8. By We Missed Q on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Bad break for Hall, but he is just not NFL caliber. From the 6 practices I watched in Flag it was OBVIOUS the weak arm he had. His passes just seemed to hang in the air, while Kolb’s Slelton’s and Bartel’s had much more zip. Yes I know arm strength is not everything(see DA) but with his lack of height, and frail frame he just wouldn’t make it.
    Darren, any word on if Saturday’s game is sold out yet?

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Big Red/Kenzie —

RE: Graham

Ben struggled at times last year. This isn’t a shock.

He has been great getting it pinned deep. But it’s different when the Cards stall in their own territory and field position has to change. Graham can boom it long, but his hang time isn’t what they want.

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

MikeFlorio —

RE: Cut days

They have to get from 90 to 80 by Tuesday. They get to 53 by the Sunday after the fourth preseason game.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

We Missed —

RE: Saturday tickets

No word yet.

12. By cards62 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Darren you know my question.

Why did Cards release Derek Epperson? He punted so well last game and then we sign another punter?

Did any team sign Epperson?

Glad Wilson is back. Take it easy big fella and no setbacks.

Our Qbs this year Kolb, Bartel, Skelton. I think they will do just fine if we protect them.

Go Cards beat Chargers

13. By John on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Whats Okeafor doing in practice? Did he retire?

14. By Earl Nevarez on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Good pick up at QB. Were there better options, perhaps but good one anyways. Too bad Skelton got hurt bc I feel that he is #1 QB talent and would have loved to see him in with the 1’s this sat. Like somesaid earlier, it;s funny that Kolb hasnt thrown a TD yet and some of the passes that went Fitz’s way was all Fitz coming down with the ball. The one hander against GB and as well as the one against the Raiders. If the CB had turned a second sooner, it would have been picked… Kolb is very smart at reading the field but kinda need to get the ball where it belongs too!! Either way… GO CARDS!!

15. By Peter in Canada on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Brent –

It was the Seattle game that caused me to have serious misgivings also. They gave him a mulligan blaming the weather conditions, saying they were foreign to him. Of course the next week against Tampa nailed the lid shut. I think if there had been an off season he would never have come to training camp but with the short time frame and the bigger fish to fry he got one last chance. It is a pity but he will at least have the satisfaction of being able to look back on the win over the defending champions.

16. By Peter in Canada on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I think Hall might have a chance in the CFL. They aren’t necessarily pocket passers so his height is not a problem. Coverage is also looser so lack of arm strength can be overcome. Doug Flutie did o.k. up here.

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Cards62 —

RE: Epperson

They apparently didn’t see potential in him, and wanted to see Zastudil. As far as I know, Epperson is unsigned.

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

John —

RE: Okeafor

I don’t know if he retired, but he is out of the league. That Twitter anecdote was from a few years ago, not this camp.

19. By joe67 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I feel this was an upgrade. It was just time for Max to go. Too bad, nice kid, I understand.

20. By D on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

RB’s to watch in next few weeks….Ryan Grant in GB and Steve Slaton in Houston…either one would be good pickup’s….I don’t see Choice being an upgrade from Dallas or C. Taylor’s yards per carry last year was terrible in Chicago..

21. By Barryskoolaid on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

From a CHIEFS fan to Cardinals fans, I just want to say what a gem you are getting in Brodie Croyle. I hope he gets an opportunity there in Arizona. He has a cannon arm, and he’s a hard worker. Support this kid people, he works hard.

22. By Cardfan on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

As a cardinal Fan I was glad to see the pickup of Croyle…Hall was not an NFL caliber player and as mentioned before doesnt have the protoype to make it as a QB. I wish him luck elsewhere.

23. By Mike in Mesa on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Didn’t Max Hall beat New Orleans last year when they played them?

24. By Card/Husker fan on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

I would really like to see Bartel come out early in the game and play against some probable starting players. He has really looked impressive in this preseason. If Kolb doesn;t settle in soon, he may have a competition sometime during this season. Don’t know much about Croyle to comment, but I hope to see some snaps from him in the next couple games.

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Mike in Mesa —

RE: Hall/Saints

He was the quarterback that day, yes.

26. By Tobin2010 on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Croyle SUCKS! Take it from a Chiefs fan, I would rather have Hall ,whoever he his. Croyle was 0-10 as a starter in Kansas City. Thats right, 0-10. He never won a preseason game either. By the way, he gets hurt a lot to. Good luck, you will need it Cardinals fans.

27. By Jzoully on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Guys this is a year that is being heavely invested in, lets start with one thing that stands out in my mind. Alphonso Smith will be a little bit better then Pierre Thomas and I know it…Also this offseason including the preseason John Skelton hasn’t been impressive and is making flawed throws. I think it should be 1. Kevin Kolb 2. Richard Bartell 3. Brodie Croyle… That would give veteran presence in which we need.

28. By brad oneill on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway- What kind of low life revels in an injury? Max Hall was an undrafted rookie who made it all the way to starting games at quarterback in the NFL. we gave Matt lienart 3 years to get it. Max hall got few reps in the preseason, a playbook, and to work with the third team if anyone most of the year. He stepped in to play his first game in one of the loudest stadiums in the nfl in the rain. yea he had a few bad games, but the kid gave it everything he had and with a quarter the preparation of an average starting quarterback he withstood and accepted criticism from people whose greatest accomplishment in life was probably a clever insult.

29. By Jim on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

BC will certainly be an upgrade over Max. Given a little time, he will also be better than Bartell. Didn’t people learn last year that you can look like Montana against 3rd stringers and that will not translate to success during the season. Nothing against the guy, but people are getting a little too eager to hand things over to Bartell. As far as signing a RB goes, I would like to see them pick up Kevin Smith, but if Steve Slayton is cut they had better jump all over him quick.

30. By Rick 12 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Brad Oneill – Your remarks regarding Max Hall are so true. Never say never about what someone like Hall might end up accomplishing someday.
    Whenever people belittle him I keep thinking of Doug Flutie and his NFL career, and the fact that he was smaller than Hall, or if not, then no bigger in body size. Occurances like Flutie may not happen often, but they sometimes do. If Max had had the benefit of a decent o-line last year the outcome could have been much different for him. He does NOT deserve the disrespective criticism that some that some people have leveled at him. It’s still premature to conclude that is days in the NFL are over. Best of luck Max. Don’t give up yet……..

31. By Louisville Card on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@brad oneill

Nice post I totally agree with all your comments Cardsalltheway has a nice name but he doesnt seem to live up to it. Every post he puts up is always something negative towards the team. If you hate Whiz so much root for another team because I for one hope he’ll be coaching our team till he can’t do it anymore. He’s only taken our team to the Superbowl and only had one bad year give the guy a break. Has any card fan really had any expectation of being good until Whiz showed up?

On the Max hall part of ot he didn’t have much of a chance to excel with the team we had last year. Grant it that he didn’t show much in the few games he played, but he only played in a few games. I don’t really want him starting for our team anytime soon as he is no kolb, but the guy has heart and the drive in him to one day be successful. I wish him the best and hope somebody gives him a chance they won’t regret it…

32. By TODD ODOM on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Brodie Croyle has good ball skills, and with a decent line and running game
    could be a star. I hope the does well with the Cardinals, and has a long
    career. Good Luck Brodie, from a Bama and KC fan.

33. By irishred on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

O’neill, Rick, Louisville…..you guys are class acts. So glad to see true team spirit does exist. CATW made me leave this blog last year, and I’ve already had enough this year.
    Over and out