• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

And that’s all she wrote

Posted by Darren Urban on August 25, 2011 – 11:10 am

Another training camp over.

I know the weather here is much nicer than down in the Valley right now, but I know I am ready to go home and you know all the players and coaches are too. Time to get back into a normal routine. Coach Ken Whisenhunt wouldn’t rule out anyone for Saturday’s game save for cornerback Michael Adams (knee), although he acknowledged quarterback John Skelton (ankle) was unlikely to go (and Adrian Wilson, of course, won’t be out there.) There are some question marks. Rookie receiver DeMarco Sampson tweaked his hamstring Wednesday and sat out Thursday. Tight end Rob Housler (groin) is getting better but he missed a second straight day.

Whiz said the last practice was “better than I expected.” No short-timers disease.

– It seemed like cornerback Patrick Peterson had a pretty good practice today. That’s always a good sign. If he can make an early impact, that would aid this defense so much.

– The players I’ll remember most from this camp? I thought rookie NT David Carter and Sampson both performed better than expected. Kevin Kolb is a work-in-progress, but he’s shown plenty to make this year’s quarterback situation so much more enjoyable to unfold. Backup Rich Bartel has impressed me too. And of course, Larry Fitzgerald continues to wow every day.

– Whisenhunt isn’t concerned about going to practice in the heat. “You know what? We’ve faced heat every year. It’s hot. We know that. We will do what we can to make it work.” Whisenhunt talked about having the giant fans and tents at the facility as usual and “potentially” using ASU’s practice dome.

OK, that’s enough. See ya, Flagstaff.

Tags: , , , ,

33 Responses to “And that’s all she wrote”

1. By Steve on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Be grateful, this season nearly didn’t happen!!

Gonna be fun!! Go Cards!

2. By AZCoyotes on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Stay hydrated and the heat is not a problem. I work outside eveyday so I’m sure these guys can suck it up.

3. By Phoenixraven1 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Panther killers!

4. By Chad D. on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for doing such a great job covering camp! Darren, I have said it before and I will keep on saying it: You really do the best job in the NFL at covering the team and keeping us fans up to date. News (other than what you just posted) has been VERY limited during the past few weeks on Patrick Peterson. Is he showing moments of greatness or is he simply blending in with the rest of the CB crew?

5. By Zapp on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren

You hear anything about the Cardinals getting a indoor practice facility or do they like practicing out in the heat. There are always those rumblings every year of us looking into one.

6. By Brian R. on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Larry Fitzgerald isnt even human my friend! Hes a a football locating robot with hands that consist of invisible glue

7. By Eric on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I know he just tweaked a hammy, but has there been serious talk about bringing in Steve Slaton? Maybe even perhaps trading one of our 6th round picks for him if it doesn’t look like they will be placing him on waivers soon? Maybe I’m way off, but that seems promising. What, if anything, can you tell me about the teams plans on bringing in another RB? I’m actually rooting for Alonzo to be the guy that steps up, but what are your thoughts. Also, thank you for your patients and your great coverage of camp.

8. By cards62 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Read where Darren wrote the SD preseason game is a sellout.

Nice going Red Sea. Be loud and be proud.

I will be at the Packers – Colts game Friday night. Seemed like a great idea when I received the tickets and thinking it will be Manning verses Rodgers.

I will envy all of you watching Rivers verses Kolb, but do not cry for me as my tickets are free and in a suite on the 50 yard line. All you can eat and drink.

Go Cards

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Chad D –

RE: Peterson

I think he’s blending in. Don’t worry. He’ll get there.

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Zapp –

RE: Indoor facility

It is still being looked at. But for now, they’ll deal with being outside.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Eric –

RE: Slaton trade

They won’t make a trade. They will see who is released.

12. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

As a Northern AZer whose only chance to see the Cards is training camp, Darren do you forsee the possibility of them not coming to Flag if they build an indoor facility or paying to see practices like some teams do?
    I realize you’re homesick, but you have to agree that the NAU campus and the experience is a tradition that should continue. They bring in what, an estimated 10 million to the area?
    What, IYO, is the best and the worst part of camp?

13. By B on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

So why is it that whis won’t start Peterson….YET he started Levi Brown when he was a rookie??

Toler/Jefferson would be lucky to start on any other team…when will he start??

14. By kaleb on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

D-SAM FOR WR #2

15. By rio on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

RUNNING BACK HELP, O.J.SIMPSON GETS OUT NEXT MONTH, HE WOULD BE GREAT ON GOAL LINE SNAPS, HE HAS THAT KILLER INSTINCT.

16. By clssylssy on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Watching Hightower score for the Skins last night made me a little sick…can someone remind me again, why is yet another of our former playmakers playing for another team?

17. By Todd C on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Dang Darren, how tall are you? I saw you interview Patrick Peterson and you towered over him and I know he is 6′ – 1″.

18. By Mike on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

any word on what jerseys the cardinals are wearing saturday? It would be awesome if they brought out the black jerseys

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Flagstaff

Don’t get me wrong: I like going to Flag. I actually worked at the paper up there long, long ago. I always enjoy spending time up there. But after a month of being away from the family — and, I, like the players, live and breathe work practically 24/7 when you are up there — you burn out and just want rest and to be home.

Whisenhunt has said many times he likes the team getting away for camp. Unless the relationship would somehow fray in the business between the team and NAU, I don’t see them not coming up. Now, if they did get a bubble, there is a chance they wouldn’t be up as long. But like I said, I think it is a mutually beneficial relationship.

The best and worst part, for me, is just what I have said. Perfect setting and weather. But being away from home — especially having to stay in a dorm room — takes its toll.

20. By MikeFlorio on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Hey Urban can we get a like or dislike button on here?????
    I have one on my website, profootballtalk.com……..

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Clssylssy –

RE: Hightower

I understand the frustration. But the bottom line is, when the trade was made, Hightower was going to be the odd man out in the backfield and not get a lot of work. Ryan Williams was drafted for a reason.

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Todd C –

RE: Height

I am 6-foot-3.

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Mike –

RE: Sat jerseys

Cards are wearing red Saturday.

24. By Sackman on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

The one thing that I have noticed, that is different from last year is. How well the Defense is tackling. Is this what we can expect from Mr. Horton running the show? Because if it is I like it. Has anybody else noticed this too?

25. By Peter in Canada on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

I don’t understand this preoccupation with black jerseys. I greatly prefer the red tops and white pants. They are traditional and besides that they look great. Black, on the other hand belong to Pittsburgh and Oakland and are part of their tradition. We should have left it to them.

26. By D on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Don’t see a rb better than texans slaton being released in next few weeks..instead of waiting for them to release and have to bid agains several other teams, I would offer one of the 6th round picks

27. By UK Card on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

So lookin forward to tomorrow night!!!!!!!!!! Start of a new era! Kolb`s 1st home game, & Heap if he plays!

GOT A GOOD FEELING GUYS! THINK ITS GOING TO BE A SPECIAL SEASON!!

If we can come out & smack the chargers in the mouth, out of spite for last years game would be a huge bonus, going into the season!

GO CARDS! HEEEAAAPPPPP!!!

28. By UK Card on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren have you heard any kind of predictions for the season yet? Are do you think its still a bit premature?

Am fired up man, i know its early but if the team gels am thinking 9 & 7, maybe more, even last season there was a few narrow L`s!
    What does everyone else think!

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

UK Card –

RE: Predictions

I don’t do wins and losses, really. But I expect this team to be good enough to have a shot at the division title.

30. By georgiebird on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Time for Whiz/Graves to earn their money.
    Before the season starts, we know there will be many close games. Can the personnel -Whiz and Graves puts on the field- make the big plays and get us over the top.
    After last year, I’m sick of excuses.
    I know the margin of error for each game is small. Can Whiz/Graves outcoach, outsmart and outlast the opposition? If not, bring in the new clowns.

31. By clssylssy on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Georgiebird: Take a pill and settle down…You must be a newbie to be so impatient with our coaches. Since Coach Whisenhunt’s been with us we’ve had success like never before. Some teams NEVER get to the Superbowl or win Division Titles, and while we had an amazing “dream team” it was the coaching staff that pulled all that talent together into a cohesive unit. So we had a bad year last year…news flash, not our first! Most fans seem pretty stoked for this year…if you’re so unhappy feel free to fly away and join the 9ers…you’d fit right in! GO CARDINALS! WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

32. By UK Card on Aug 27, 2011 | Reply

Georgiebird??????????????????????
    Come on Dude get real!!!!!!!!

Despite wot looked like a slow start, when the green flag was waived! How can any fan doubt wot has been done in a messed up of season!!

Take a look around the league, HELL the division and see how active other teams have been!!

So we didn`t a Vet. in as a WR2, got HHeeeaaaapppp! bunch of young talent in the WR core with potential, YEAH I SAID POTENTIAL!!! WHIZ, AND GRAVES ARE TRYING TO BUILD FROM THE INSIDE, LIKE ALL THE GOOD TEAMS DO!
    Am soooo stoked like clssylssy, and all FANS should be!!!!!

THANK YOU TO ALL FRONT OFFICE, COACHES, AND BEHIND THE SCENES PERSONNEL!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CARDS! WIN THE WEST!