Horton’s place will be upstairs

Posted by Darren Urban on August 25, 2011 – 6:50 am

In the first game of the preseason, defensive coordinator Ray Horton was captured by TV cameras at his spot up in the coaches box high above the field. For fans used to seeing the past two defensive coordinators — Clancy Pendergast and Bill Davis — on the field, it was jarring. Then, last weekend, Horton was down on the field in Green Bay.

Turns out he was test-driving both spots. But Horton, who was always upstairs in Pittsburgh when he was defensive backs coach, will be sticking with his upstairs perch going forward.

“When you are up there you can evaluate everything yourself,” Horton said. “I just wanted to explore all avenues, and make sure there wasn’t a better way to do something.”

In the end, it comes down to comfort with a coordinator. Offensive coordinator Mike Miller stays upstairs, and he has always been there, even when he was wide receivers coach. Former offensive coordinator Todd Haley was on the field when he was with the Cardinals.

“For me, I can see everything,” Horton said. “I can see the personnel coming in, I can see the play develop. I never have to ask anybody what happened. People say, ‘Well, you can look in the player’s eyes.’ I don’t need to look in their eyes. I know my players. The other (assistant) coaches can get what I want. Whether it is overrated or underrated, I don’t know. I want to know what happened. I am that kind of guy. I don’t want to ask, ‘Hey, what happened?’ “

Tags: ,

15 Responses to “Horton’s place will be upstairs”

1. By clssylssy on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

It will be interesting to see where he gets the best results. I think most fans are more interested in whether we get a win rather than where Horton is sitting. I, personally, prefer a more “hands on” coach but if he can get his message across to his players through means of “channeling” or whatever, who cares. I don’t think most fans buy tickets to watch the coaches. GOOD LUCK CARDS! RISE UP RED SEA…WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

2. By Rugbymuffin on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I am an upstairs guy myself. I cannot work with all the emotions, and demands asked of me on the field.

I need to concentrate, and be almost robotic like with my emotions.

LOL….I will stop rambling and just say, I get it. Where ever he is most effective then that is where he should be.

There is more then one way to get the job done.

3. By cardsalltheway on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Normally I wouldn’t be concerned about this but since you’ve brought it up(more than once) he doesn’t look comfortable on the sideline which worries me. What’s wrong?

4. By Ditship on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I don’t care if the guy sits in a portajohn as long as our D is working. I’m excited about what he’s bringing though.

5. By Peter in Canada on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Obviously the only thing that matters is results. From what I’ve seen so far he appears to be doing just that.

6. By jbird on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Just in case anyone was worried, I will be either in, infront of or on my seat in section 107, keeping an eye of the D line! I take care of business from there.

7. By Ernie on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren, do you think we will trade a first or sec round pick for Kolb? ….sorry was having flashbacks..hahahahaha

8. By Dave on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

@Peter

I want to see the guys closer in coverage instead of standing off still. I wasn’t completely sober last game though so if that was corrected, I stand corrected.

9. By joe67 on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

I would much rather be upstairs. Like he said, you really can’t see that well when down on the field. Upstairs you see it all, and with modern communication equipment, that part shouldn’t be a problem. Besides, in light of how our D played the last couple years, I would think a change is very much in order.

10. By Tbru on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Doing things differently than Davis did, that should be a good thing

11. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Horton does it right. A stud.

12. By Scott H on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

Got a good feeling about this guy…

13. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 25, 2011 | Reply

As long as he can produce results, it doesn’t matter. What matters is the defense plays bettter than last year and plays together as a unit.
    If being upstairs is his thing, that’s great. Results – Results and more Results should be the focus.

14. By Mr. Know It All on Aug 26, 2011 | Reply

Horton will have the D ready.

Qb’s watch out for the

REDBIRD ZONABLITZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Oct 25, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogAlways upstairs, Miller tries downstairs «