• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Toler out for season; Komar among cuts

Posted by Darren Urban on August 29, 2011 – 10:55 am

Cornerback Greg Toler was “praying” for a light ACL sprain when he went in to have an MRI of his left knee Sunday. His prayers weren’t answered. Toler — who tore his ACL on a non-contact play Saturday against the Chargers — was placed on injured reserve Monday, ending his season. The Toler move was one of 10 the Cards made to reduce the roster to the required 80 heading into the final week of the preseason. It’s a painful one too, since Toler was starting. It’s a good thing A.J. Jefferson has been playing so well, and it puts rookie Patrick Peterson — and veteran Richard Marshall — squarely in the spotlight as the Cards’ top three corners.

As expected, rookie running back Ryan Williams was also put on injured reserve. Wide receiver Max Komar (knee) and undrafted rookie safety Tommy Irvin (foot) were waived-injured. With the Komar situation, that takes one potential out of the mix as the Cards try to find six wideouts to keep.

Six other players were released: veterans FB Charles Ali and LB Curtis Gatewood, along with undrafted rookies WR Daiveun Curry-Chapman, LB Duke Lemmens, T Eric Mensik and T Jason Speredon.

Tags: , , , , ,

37 Responses to “Toler out for season; Komar among cuts”

1. By Haggis Bob on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Nice job squeaking this in right before practice! Thanks for the update!

2. By Jeff on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

That sucks, Cards better go out and look for another guy among all the cuts~

3. By Paul H on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Well dang. Just means we will have to call on our backup Fireman, Mike Adams.
    Money Mike is like a cat with nine lives. Mike get well soon, we need you in case we need to “break glass”

4. By Rich on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

we just need to locate a solid, role playing running back and db. If A Dub comes back and Skelton, et all heal up quickly, we’re in good shape.
    Really liked the look of the team Saturday night.

5. By Mark on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

What a shame, I thought Toler was playing great, he did really well against Greg Jennings last week. I thought the cards had really good depth at corner until this. I also liked what i saw in Marshay Green until last game where he really played poorly.

6. By Ryan on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Was Duke Lemmens the one they called Kenny G?

7. By cards62 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Very sorry for Greg Toler as he was looking good, and this will definitely hurt our Cardinals. We had 4 quality guys at CB. Jefferson not perfect but wow what an improvement from last year that has been a great surprise to me.

I can not argue with any of the cuts, but the big cuts are still to happen.

Go Cards and thanks Darren for the quick update.

8. By azcards24 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Any chance we re-sign ROD TIDWELL if we “SHOW HIM THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!?

9. By Austin on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

That is too bad. I really like Toler and what he brings to the team. I wish him the best.

10. By brad oneill on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

i hope they are able to bring max komar back I really like what happens when that kid is in the game. ik know its always late in preseason games but he can only catch whats thrown to him.
    I think the komar thing is largely a strategic move rather than reflective on komars abilities, he is injured and can’t practice our team needs healthy bodies practicing right now.

in the fourth pre season game i hope they only play people they are going to cut. i cant take another freaking injury to anyone. I know its part of the game but losing such key pieces is killing me.

i thought Toler outplayed drc last year and it kills me to see his opportunity squashed like this. I hope he takes advantage of the study time he is going to get. I wish we could bring in corey chavous to show him how to study film while he is down. That guy always seemed to know where the ball and the receiver were going.

11. By bisugadaddy on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

“Money” mike makes me want to puke! PI or completion, its one or the other with that guy. David Garrard out ran him in 2009, and hes supposed to be a corner!

12. By Zero on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Nooooooooooooooooooo not another season ending injury. We trade hightower and Williams gets injured. We trade DRC, and our starting corner gets injured. >.> Bad luck or wut.

13. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Its always scary going in too the season with 2 corners starting who have never started an nfl game

14. By joe67 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Sure hate to see Max get cut. One of my favs. Was really pulling for him.

15. By Phoenixraven1 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Kenny G didn’t last long! Good camp guy though! What was the name of last years big camp guy we were all rootting for that Dockett worked out with during last off season?

16. By Chad on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Is there any concern with a lack of leadership in the CB position with Jefferson being a 2nd year guy, Peterson a rookie, and Marshall being a new guy? Plus with Adub out for a bit I’m more nervous about game experience than skill at this point.

17. By MIKE G on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren– That is a big injury for the Cards. I hope Toler responds well after surgery. I know the Cardinals were expecting Toler to step up with the departure of DRC. Two big season ending injuries for the Cards in pre-season–not good!! Losing DRC to a trade and the Toler injury has to affect the defense.
    One thing I am concerned about the Cardinals over the last year or so is the number of penalties they commit in a game. They have to cut that number down. They are drive killers. Darren–How many penalties in a game do you consider a high amount??? 5 or more???
    I know coaches want none!!!

18. By Stevie on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

It’s a shame about Toler, mostly for his sake, but listening to Burns and Gambo, I am disturbed by their negativity regarding Patrick Peterson. Don’t they remember that DRC made a lot of coverage mistakes when he was a rookie, too? I believe that this forcing him to play more with the Ones will speed up his learning curve.

19. By Tim S on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

What would it take to get DRC back or Asante Samuel from the Eagles.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Ryan –

RE: Lemmens

Yes. http://blog.azcardinals.com/2011/08/07/any-name-better-than-no-name/

21. By Travis on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

That hurts losing Toler, I am still a little puzzled to why we went and made the best secondary in NFL, got rid of DRC failed to obtain anyone to replace him, and are now wondering why guys are getting hurt! Has anyone been watching the Cards over the last 23 years?! I was looking at the D to be the strongest side for the cards, now I am a little nervous. Peterson will be great, however it takes time to develop at the next level, the last thing we want is to handicap his growth

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Phoenixraven –

RE: Rooting for camp guy

That was Dean Muhtadi. The Iron Sheik.

23. By Phoenixraven1 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Did he ever catch on anywhere else? The guy was a beast in the weight room, be a great WWE guy! Lol!

24. By The Fanimal on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Every team has injuries that are unpredictable and all of you fans will be surprised what good coaching can do for a team. EVERYBODY is replaceable. Its time to shut up and play football.

25. By VoiceofReason on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

LOVED Muhtadi. Is he on another roster right now?

26. By Barry Bond on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Well, these ACL injuries are killing us. Not to mention I have read on other sites Adrian Wilson might be lost for the season to? Only good thing about the Greg Toler injury is we have Marshall. Remember Richard Marshall was a starting corner for the Panthers last year and Carolina has a GOOD defense. And in the preseason Jefferson has looked good to and I like his aggressiveness. He looks like the JETS Antone Cromarti who just signed a 38 million contract for 4 years?

27. By Mark on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, even though “training camp” is over will they still update Depth Chart this week since it’s still preseason?

28. By Amy on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

How about getting Rod Hood back???

29. By Tbru on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

I want so bad for Toler to be the great American success story.

No Hall, no Komar. I guess much like my line of credit, the Cards are all Maxed out

30. By DontTakeLoses on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Feel bad for Greg. Dang. Period.

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Mark –

RE: Depth chart

I am updating it weekly.

32. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Offensive line has to be the hardest position to grade.
    Darren, do you think they will carry more OL this season than last?
    I mean, you got Bridges, Womack, Batiste, Lutui and Claxton running second string and 2 guys I like, Pestock and O’Dowd bringing up third.
    Are Claxton and Pestock practice squad eligible?

33. By drummer-1 on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

@Tbru…

thats some funny stuff right there…

34. By Shelly on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Really sorry to hear about Max Komar–he has been my favorite for the last 2 years. I hope he is not injured too badly…maybe he can get picked up again later. Take care of yourself Max!

35. By TucsonTim on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

Bad news. How much harder do we need to make Horton’s job. It was such a nothing play. Too late for a 2nd opinion????

36. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: PS

Claxton is not. Pestock might be.

2. Aug 29, 2011: Cardinals Cut Roster To 80 | Game Ball