• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp
  • Sun., May. 25, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.

Wednesday before the Broncos

Posted by Darren Urban on August 31, 2011 – 10:08 am

This version of “before the” will be a little different, much like the last game of the preseason normally is for teams. It doesn’t make much sense to break down the main parts of the Cards, since their biggest chore this game is to avoid injuries. There have been a lot of people asking why the starters will play much at all, after coach Ken Whisenhunt said yesterday the starters might actually play a little longer than in a normal, non-locked-out year. There is a fine line to walk. The reality is, because these guys didn’t get a chance to rep anything in the offseason, this is the only real time to do it. Is it a risk leaving the starters out a little longer? Sure. But health doesn’t mean anything if you aren’t playing well enough to win, and the Cards are still trying to get to the level they feel is important.

– It will be interesting to see how the roster shakes out. The media availability was just sent out, and Whisenhunt will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. Friday with nothing Saturday or Sunday. I expect the Cards to announce their roster at that point. Do they keep two fullbacks? How many defensive backs do they keep? Those are among the many questions (and I will have my opinion how it will shake out later today on the blog). Whiz did say there is a guy or two who always seem to earn a job with the performance in the final preseason game.

– I hope we get to see running back Alfonso Smith carry the ball in this game. In my opinion, when cuts from the rest of the league come down, the Cards will be looking at running back first, then cornerback. And as I have said many times, it’s no lock that they get someone at either spot. Smith can impact his future tomorrow night.

– Also wondering if the Cards will feel the need to keep an extra DB given the uncertainty with safety Adrian Wilson. I believe Wilson will play this season. That’s not the issue. But if there is a concern playing could end up getting him hurt again, the Cards may want an extra body practicing the whole time in case he is needed to step in.

– The game is a sellout, the 55th straight time the Cards have sold out University of Phoenix Stadium (out of 55 tries). It will be televised locally on ABC-15 (and will be on radio at Arizona Sports 620 AM and KTAR 92.3 FM).

– The Cards are taking part in a backpack drive again this year, collecting new or gently used backpacks in exchange for a Cardinals and Albertson’s co-branded backpack. The program benefits the “Hope Endures” organization. Backpacks can be dropped off at UoP Stadium gates before the Broncos game.

On to the Broncos. Like I said, I’ll take a guess at the roster later.

Tags: , ,

26 Responses to “Wednesday before the Broncos”

1. By MIKE G on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–It will be interesting to see how this roster shakes out. Im sure we will have a nice mix of young guys and veterans. I just hope we don’t have a big injury in this upcoming game. I really don’t know what to expect this upcoming year with so many new faces. I hope I am surprised with some good football. There are just so many unknowns!! I think the number one thing we have to do defensively and improve — is the ability to generate a pass rush. Do you think we have the horses in our front seven to get some heat on opposing QB’S???

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: pass rush

I think that’s the biggest question facing this team.

3. By Alberto on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Hello Darren,
    have you heard of any interest for Laurence Maroney? he was a stud for the Patriots just 2 years ago,and he would be a great complement to Beanie Wells.

4. By Phoenixraven1 on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Always look forward to your crack at the roster blog!

5. By D on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Well, Whiz will have to live with the possibility of an injury tomorrow to one of the main players who we can’t afford to lose: Kolb, Fitz, Sendlien, Dockett or Peterson.

I see with the uncertainty at both Off tackles and the lack of pass rush, a 8-8 record this year. The two areas that they will need to look for in next years draft.

6. By Rich on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

agreed. maybe they pick up a running back or a db. But I wouldn’t be surprised to seem them try to upgrade defensive line depth with a younger version of Vonnie or a better pass rushing version of Iwebama.

7. By Kurt on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

If Obrien Schofield remains healthy and Joey Porter rebounds, pass rush will be the least of the Cardinals worries. Beanie and Fitz must stay healthy and the offensive line needs to protect the QB

8. By DontTakeLoses on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Good post on the Receivers, Darren. Stucky comments noted.

9. By MIKE G on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren– I think Dockett, Campbell, Schofield, A-Dub and Washington have to have good years for this defense to get pressure. The sacks in terms of numbers has to come from these guys. Wilson when and if healthy must be used more toward the line of scrimmage. Porter and Holliday might be able to contribute but I don’t see them playing as every down players. Do you think Schofield has the ability and do you think our D-Coaches may try to use him in a similar role that the Packers use Clay Matthews??? Lineing him all over the D-line to create confusion???

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Alberto –

RE: Maroney

I have not heard of interest. If they were going to want him, I would think he would have signed by now.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Moving Schofield

I don’t know if Schofield will be one of the ones moved. But in this defense, anything is possible.

12. By jeff on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

who has worked # 1 corner since tolers injury and have there been any sets were housler , heap and king have been in at the same time during camp. Are we running alot of blitz packages in practice to create pressure and who do you feel will be our starting nose tackle week 1. Dave carter seems to be out playing Williams from what i’v seen.

13. By Scharf on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

I saw some pressure during the Raiders game, and then it bumped up a little more in the Green Bay game, but it didn’t seem to carry on from there. I hope that changes this game and the 1st string D-Line really meshes and attacks the Bronco’s line.

Darren, regarding the fullback question; Have you seen a lot out of Anthony Sherman? I haven’t really seen him in the preseason – which makes sense because I forget we even have a fullback until their names are mentioned. lol.

14. By Scharf on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

@D, aka Nostradamus,

Glad to see your taking a positive approach to this season.

15. By SOC Bill on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

what is you take on Rob Housler will he spell Heap or is he more insurance due to Heap and his chronic injury issues over the years will he get reps his blocking in the 2nd game improved but more a Heap type than Dray who will be a blocker

16. By John on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren-
    Have the captains been chosen yet? If so who are they? Thanks!

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Jeff –

RE: Questions

1) Rotating CBs. I still think it’ll end up being Peterson and Jefferson.
    2) Don’t remember seeing all three TEs on the field at the same time.
    3) Blitzing will be a regular part of the D.
    4) I think Dan Williams will start but David Carter will play.

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Scharf –

RE: Sherman

He’s had his moments. Played well on special teams.

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

SOC –

RE: Housler

They took Housler long before they knew they would get Heap. He’s going to have to learn the game, but they can afford to bring him along slowly.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

John –

RE: Captains

That comes out next week.

21. By aitchem on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Interesting – AZ Central is running a “most popular AZ athlete” contest online. Looks like the elimination tournament’s finale will be … no Diamondback or Sun, no storied athlete from ASU’s or UofA’s past, but Larry Fitzgerald vs. Kurt Warner.

22. By Matt H on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

You guys whip up a new Underground or waiting until the weekend for that. Thanks Darren, love the work.

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2011 | Reply

Matt H –

RE: Underground

With the short week, we will get back to it next week.

24. By D.Blair on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, Read my next words carefully: “WATCH OUT FOR (RB/KR) #37 WILLIAM POWELL, HE IS A SLEEPER/DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH!” He is dangerous if he gets a shot at a decent kick return & as a RB he has great vision, & quick footwork! In my opinion, FAR better than A. Smith & Just as fast, if not faster, then LaRod with a little bit more size. I feel he will have a great game tomorrow/today since he will get a majority of the reps since starters are sitting mostly. But remember Darryl Blair a Cowboys DIE HARD FAN from Dallas told you all this.

25. By D.Blair on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

Also do you think (After Powell proves me right) I can get a special post about him just for me? lol Worth a try

26. By clssylssy on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

Hoping that we can get away from this with no injuries, Coach should have a pretty good idea of who can do what so I hope he is frugal with our starters. Steelers play Panthers and there is a good chance that they will take out a few of their players, People have underestimated Jeremy Shockey who was a workhorse for the Saints and could do some damage in our season opener with the kitties, he’s a beast, It seems the Cards seems to rise to the level of the competition and played impressively against the Packers and Chargers…this is ONLY the Broncos and preseason at that. STAY HEALTHY CARDS! YOU’RE LOOKING GOOD!