Broncos aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on September 1, 2011 – 11:37 pm

It will mean nothing in the official statistics of the NFL, or in all likelihood, with the Cards’ roster decisions. Undrafted rookie running  back William Powell — cut a few days into camp, mind you, and brought back only because Ryan Williams was lost for the season — had 29 carries Thursday night against Denver in a stat line that crystallizes what the fourth preseason game is all about. Powell gained just 60 yards, and he actually had six more carries than he did in his entire (JC-shortened two-year) stint at Kansas State in college.

More carries in one game than two years in college? “I’m awake now,” Powell said. “All them carries, I am wide awake. I wanted to be out there as much as possible, get as many carries as I can, show my talent and quickness and put as much on tape as I could.”

The Cardinals did what they needed to get out of the preseason. No major injuries. A win. Some nice plays (although the Broncos didn’t play their starters and clearly are hurting in the depth category). Coach Ken Whisenhunt has a press conference tomorrow at 2 p.m., and I expect most, if not all, the Cards’ cuts to be announced. That’s how it has worked on Fridays in the past under Whiz.

– Guard Deuce Lutui was still playing late in the fourth quarter. It’s not a shock, given his battle of the bulge. “When you get down to the last preseason game, you don’t have a lot of offensive linemen,” Whisenhunt said. “This was a game he had to show us something. It’s been a battle the whole time and we knew the whole time he needed to lose weight in order to play like we thought he could play. It will be good to look at the tape and see where he is.”

– Rookie defensive lineman David Carter, who had been playing backup nose tackle most of camp, spent a good chunk of time at defensive end Thursday. “We are trying to push him, see what he can do,” Whisenhunt said. “No question he has had an outstanding preseason. The more things you can do, the better value you have on game day.”

– It will be interesting to see if the left pectoral strain of tight end Jim Dray impacts the decision on the roster, assuming he indeed was battling Stephen Spach for a spot. Speaking of battles, Reagan Maui’a continues to show up at fullback. I still think Anthony Sherman makes the team, but Maui’a has made it a very difficult choice.

– Safety Hamza Abdullah I think has made the team, but he made a couple of big hits out there. Don’t confuse him as just the nice-guy-who-visits-the-President. “You have to let them know you’re out there,” he said.

– The Cards watched the Broncos miss a field goal despite only having, after a couple guys sprinted off the field thinking they weren’t supposed to be out there, eight men on the field. “You know what, as I was biting my tongue as it was happening, I was thinking, ‘It’s the fourth quarter of the fourth preseason game,’ ” Whisenhunt said. (Actually it was the end of the third). “(The Broncos) didn’t know what they were doing (either). It was tough but we’ll let it slide.”

– Whatever happens with “final cuts,” this roster is going to be fluid to a point. I expect another running back. Some guys who make the roster probably shouldn’t breathe easy, since they could still be on the move.

– Finally, quarterback Rich Bartel looked impressive again. He wasn’t perfect, as he said himself, but he looked very good — again. Is he the No. 2? Is it Skelton? I think Bartel has made a strong case for himself. In all honesty, let’s hope Kevin Kolb stays healthy and the No. 2 is a moot point.

And with that, time to head home. We will have news tomorrow afternoon. And then, the regular season begins.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Broncos aftermath”

1. By Phoenixraven1 on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

I was there…I’m very very impressed with our defense depth!

2. By Coolman on Sep 1, 2011 | Reply

What about Will Davis? He was clearly the best linebacker tonight! Portor and Haggans were no shows tonight! Ocho had NO pressure! Schofield was almost their but Will Davis was the one that even helped Obiozor get a sack not to mention Davis’s own sack and many hurries and pressure on the quarterback he had. If the Card’s better keep Will Davis! Don’t you think?

3. By brad oneill on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren thanks for carrying us through the longest off season ever. or at least it felt that way. The flurry of movement and excitement this last few weeks has been amazing, I love this team and although I am missing steve breaston, drc, and others, this new batch is going to be great to watch. The thing that stood out to me the most this off season was watching larry fitzgerald and his enthusiasm for every guy on the team on every play no matter how deep into the 4th quarter he was cheering the guys on and it made me happy to be a fan. He was also out there talking to the 4th striing qb of the broncos after the game showing real interest in the game and its players.

Go cards, I can’t wait to see who gets the first pick of Cam Newtons career my bet is on Kerry Rhodes the man is positively fired up and he has a pro bowl to make this year.

4. By Blake on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I think i will disagree with you here on the Fullback issue, mainly due to the fact that while fullback is not often used, I think it is possible that both will make the team, but if so, Sherman will be delegated almost fully to special teams, giving them enough depth there to keep Maui’a around. We shall see tomorrow but I will be sad if either of them are cut because they both have performed admirably.

5. By Erich on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren, two unrelated but dumb questions, but why didnt the Cards wear their black alt jerseys in preseason (I thought NFL rules let them wear them once), and what happened to the logo on the 50? It looked weird out there.

6. By kaleb on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I will be sorely dissapointed if they cut Reagan Maui’a. He is an absolute wrecking ball for the running game and pretty good in pass protection. Not to mention he made a stinger of a block all the way downfield on Hyphens touchdown. I think we should just keep two FB’s, any chance of that darren?

7. By Mario Dominguez on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Chansi Stuckey looked great last night! Will be interesting to see how he fairs. If he doesn’t make the squad, I’ll be following his season with another team. Great potential!!

8. By JamesP on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Any idea when cuts will be announced?

9. By Mark in Chandler on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

A couple of names to consider. I think two players have a good chance to make the team despite conventional wisdom: M’auia and Davis. It is assumed only 2 FB and 4 OLB, but I could see both making it. I do not think Iwebema will make it.

10. By joe67 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Still a ways to go, but I think we will be alright. If nothing else, should be fun to watch and entertaining, as opposed to last year.
    Need to play one game at a time, I know, but, the first three games are winnablle. Need the first three, then at least three out of the next nine (four would be great) and then go down the stretch 4-0.(those games should be winnable as well). That would be 10-6 and might be enough for the division. We HAVE to get off to a good start. Middle of schedule is really pretty tuff. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all you do, Darren.

11. By cardsalltheway on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

“Please Help Me”
    Was I hearing things or what? Did I hear Croyle call that play with just over 5 minutes to play in the 4th quarter on 2nd down? If so, then why didn’t we try a trick play instead of really trying to help him?
    I can’t believe some fans were hoping to get rid of our punter Ben G. Great game to watch and the Cards have looked good this preseason(and of course I called it). I hope it carries over.

12. By clssylssy on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Am very impressed with what Ray Horton has accomplished in such a short time…wow, were we lucky to get him! All the QBs looked solid and I hope Skelton’s injury doesn’t lose him the job; I still have a feeling we will need all the depth we can somehow keep as the regular season gets under way. How could anybody NOT watch Fitz and his enthusiasm for all his teammates as well as players on the opposing team. That hug and handshake he gave the Broncos 4th stringer QB at the end of the game was pure class. It’s going to be rough seeing guys cut as they have played their heart out this year, and there is a wealth of talent out there this year. NOW LET’S HAVE SOME FOOTBALL! RISE UP RED SEA! GO CARDS!

13. By cardsalltheway on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Go Bartel, very impressive!!! Go J. Skelton, I’ve always rooted for you as well. If you know what, then we got it goin on anyway!!!

14. By formerAZresident on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Oh yeah! Cant wait for the season to begin! We have good depth and the players look like they are getting better each game. I like the female jerseys I bought my wife a fitzgerald jersey and she loves it, she wears it on game days.

15. By Peter in Canada on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

We won a game we were supposed to win and won convincingly. The game did show that we have great depth and I am optimistic about the season. Last year in the pre-season our first string could hardly make a first down which made me very pessimistic. I thought we overpaid for Kolb both in players and money but on sober second thought it was a trade we had to make.

I am going to UK for two weeks apart from the internet can anyone help about getting some coverage.

16. By Rich on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Brad – thanks for the good work under difficult circumstances this offseason. We have the best team journalist in the league………….

17. By Scharf on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Umm Coolman, you do realise most of our starters were not playing past the 1st quarter besides Duece. lol…

18. By DontTakeLoses on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Yep, if not for the occasional ill advised throw off balance, Bartel is $$.

Btw, confused Marshal with Green in post the other day. Thought Stuckey showed what he’s about, GREAT add to team, can see what Whiz was talking about… toughness.

Like Nichols and I. Willaims too, huge po at receiver. Don’t know where they find all these guys, impressive.

19. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Erich —

RE: Questions

1) New NFL rule says no alternate jerseys in the preseason and two regular-season games have to be before flex scheduling starts Nov. 13.
    2) I didn’t even notice the logo.

20. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Kaleb —

RE: FBs

I just find it hard to believe they will keep two.

21. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

JamesP —

RE: Cuts

I expect them Friday afternoon.

22. By cards62 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Bartel is my # 2, but like Darren says hopefully Kolb is healthy and Skelton has plenty of time to get healthy and win # 2 back, but guys I am starting to like this Bartel. He threw an ugly interception -bad mechanics, bad read, weak arm, but man he made our offense look good all of preseason. I know against reserves but I think his play has been a great surprise and I would not freak out if he had to start a game or two for us this year.

Did you guys see I. WIlliams get mugged in the endzone in the second quarter?
    How do the refs miss that one? It would have been Bartels 3rd touchdown in a half.

We had a Stuckey showing in a big way. I had not seen one thing out of the guy all preseason and then he shines. I think now we keep him and unfortunately I. Williams will be cut.

I was hoping we would run the fullbacks a few times instead of Powell so much.
    I hope we keep both fullbacks – Sherman on practice squad. Both seem to be football players you want on your team.

Dray verses Spach will be a tough one. I think both are deserving.

Will Davis is another guy who did not show during preseason until the 4th game.
    Boy this is a tough one so I am asking what do all of you think about Davis?

Finally I am excited for our 2011 season and I know all of us were not feeling as good about our Cardinals this time last year. Coach Whiz. for me had the best preseason of any Cardinal so I hope this means our old coach is back to his form.

Go Cards beat the Panthers

23. By We Missed Q on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Cards62. The only way Sherman can go to the practice squad if for us to cut him, and he clears waivers for all teams, then we sign him to our practice squad. Will his worth on special teams, no way they can risk cutting him.

24. By Jesse Robles on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Although I am with you Darren, I hope Kolb stays healthy, I still think it is Skelton at #2, even though I hate numbers placed on someone, but Bartel did have a good game against Denvers Release Party. Seen more from Skelton in games that count.

25. By John on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Do you think Jared Campbell will make the roster? He did pretty good against the broncos last night.

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

John —

RE: J Campbell

Practice squad at best, I’d think.

27. By DontTakeLoses on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Tough choices at LB.

28. By kaleb on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

By the way, props on the new home page, it looks…. might I say fresh? Very good work with the website and corespondence with fans throughout the offseason once again thank you darren! NOW

29. By kaleb on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

NOW, lets give Cam Newton a warm introduction to the NFL and the grass in UoP Stadium.

30. By cardsalltheway on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ken W. cut Ben Graham, looks like he’s back to his old self. Stupid move!

31. By Shelly on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darrin–

Any news on Max Komar’s knee injury? Any chance he might make it back on the team? Or maybe the practice squad?

32. By CORMAC on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Money aside, who do you think is the better quarterback, Kevin or Bartel?

33. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Shelly —

RE: Komar

Max is on IR. The only way he could return is if he comes to an injury settlement, be released, and, after that timeframe has expired, re-sign.

34. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply