Adrian Wilson should play opener

Posted by Darren Urban on September 2, 2011 – 3:53 pm

The biggest news Friday probably wasn’t any of the cuts but instead coach Ken Whisenhunt’s optimism that safety Adrian Wilson, rehabbed torn bicep and all, will play in the season opener against Carolina.

“Unless there is any kind of setback, yeah, I feel pretty good about (him playing),” Whisenhunt said. “But we will get an opportunity to see. Adrian, obviously, has been practicing (limited).”

Whisenhunt also said cornerback Michael Adams (knee surgery) should also be back for the Panthers game. “We’ll get a chance to see Michael do some stuff this week and you feel good where they are,” Whisenhunt added. “Hopefully we’ll have a good sense of that later in the week.”

Friday’s roster moves seemed to show that confidence. The Cardinals have just eight defensive backs on the roster right now, including Wilson and Adams. That will change, probably — remember, Whiz said the roster is in pencil right now — and I could see a new guy brought in. But Wilson has said all along he expected to play in the opener. (Matt Ware, who was released Friday, did tell me the door wasn’t closed for him here. I could see them going back to him later in the season if injuries created a need.)

That’ll be a nice boost to the defense. And an interesting welcome waiting for Cam Newton.

Tags:

30 Responses to “Adrian Wilson should play opener”

1. By JK on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren, Adrian Wilson plays…Cam is in a whole lot of trouble come Sunday.

2. By SKELETOR 1000 SUBSCRIBERS on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

The fact that Adrian Wilson will ready for the season opener is definitely
    a positive but the question should be, is he 100% at the same time I’m not going to
    compare A-DUB to Troy Polamalu, two different players with their own styles
    but if he’s not able to play at a high level it may effect the defense to some degree.

Kudos to the OL I thought they played well all preseason (only 4 sacks) not bad
    if coach Whisenhunt and Grimm can get that level of productivity from this unit
    all season, things really look good going forward.

RB Stefon Johnson was released today, I hope the Cardinals pick him up.

3. By KyCardsfan on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

This makes 2 years in a row we’ll get to welcome a number 1 overall pick/rookie QB into the league…get em boys!!!

4. By cardsfan007 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Way off topic, but i was thinking you should do a uniform page like the panthers website. http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Fall-colors/b157d0ca-5cc1-46ec-8255-6959b0aa2b26 It would be cool!

5. By brad O'Neill on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Adrian hates excuses my guess is he gets a few fines for drilling receivers the league thinks he should wrap up. Hey if the arm hurts its best to drive the opponent into the ground instead of trying to arm tackle.

6. By Steve Lee on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

why was ben graham cut? He’s pretty good, isn’t he?

7. By We Missed Q on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

This is great news. I just hope he is not limited like he was last year, that did not go well.

8. By Jesse on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Cam is a runner, AW should get an opportunity to welcome him to the NFL just like he did Bradford.

9. By Jswizzle on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Any chance the Cards go after Brandon Meriweather pro bowl safety that got cut by the Patriots? would be a great addition and give Adrian Wilson plenty of rest when needed?

10. By cards>niners on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

chester taylor darren??

11. By brad oneill on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I just hope 24 didnt re injure that bicep at the sade concert.

12. By brythybo7 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren –
    Do you think the Cards will go after any other CBs that have been released? There have been a few cuts that have been intriguing. Jonathan Wade from the Bengals, Macho Harris from the Steelers or Kendric Burney from the Panthers?

13. By cardsalltheway on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

What’s this about D. Docket tweeting that he “almost brought a gun” into the locker room? Why would he have done that?

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Jswizzle —

RE: Meriweather

I don’t see him going somewhere where he would have to be a backup.

15. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Brythbo —

RE: CB

I could see them trying to sign a cornerback, yes.

16. By EMOTIONAL SLAUGHTER on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

CB Crezdon Butler (playmaker and he knows the system)
    RB Stafon Johnson ( talented with a lot of potential )
    WR Dorin Dickerson ( in my opinion he’s a weapon) and everything you would want in a NO.2 receiver, 23yrs old, 6-1 230, good hands, long arms, very good
    blocker and runs a 4.40

17. By Jzoully on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

4 pressing needs for us to release. I love hearing of a guy who is over looked like Ronald Talley but we him it’s more of us needing to pick up a corner, (Anyone up to see Kendrick Burney on the roster because I am). A long snapper?! Really? Why the heck do we need a long snapper? Release Mike Leach because Jeff King can play long snapper and tackle better then Leach. In Leachs place we could sing a running back named Shaun Draughn who in my opinion can be a very good special teams player. Release Duece Lutui, come on I saw him in Denver, if the coaches don’t see that he is overweight not football shape, then keeping him should be a crime. Replace Duece with a young productive lineman who can play both center and guard positions, Stephen Schilling, I really liked what I saw when we played him in San Diego. Last but not least how is Clark Haggans still playing? We need to let O’Brien Schofield go in and take over at Left Linebacker. I like the countless ability that Caleb Campbell has, where he could make for a solid backup, whatcha think Darren?

18. By joe67 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Yes, second year in a row to greet a rookie qb, and first overall pik. Last year we allowed Bradford to get comfortable and he almost beat us. It was a win but OMG was it ugly. It was definetly a sign of things to come.
    We need to rattle Newton early, or he could be a handful. Defense needs to come up big. Hope the coaches have them ready. New coach for Panthers and hard to know what to expect.
    GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!

19. By UK Card on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I think redskins Keiland Williams is worth picking up had good burst, and can catch!

20. By Chris on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I’m really concerned about how we are heading into the season very thin in the secondary. While Peterson is likely to be a solid corner and A.J. Jefferson is really developing well, we seem to be just one injury away from a disaster. With A-Dub and Mike Adams still a question mark, Is there any contingency plan in place if another corner or safety goes down?

21. By cardsalltheway on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

‘Cardinals DL Darnell Dockett says he almost accidentally brought a gun to practice’

“Damn I almost brung my ‘ROCKET’ into work this morning like gilbert arenas. But mine was by accident it was in my book bag. Kept sayin to myself why is my book bag so heavy, looked in side it was Big pookey’ nickel plated Glock 40′ trying to come to work w/me! Smh.”

22. By Bobbo on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Which 8 players make the practice squad???

23. By Superdawg17 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Darren:
    We just claimed or agreed to sign 2 cornerbacks, is the info correct?

24. By Jason on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

You ever think back on years past and during the off season ask yourself why did the Cardinals not go after this free agent or that free agent? This year I am blown away with what the Cards are doing in the off season. When I knew that Kolb was on the trade block, I said they should get Kolb and they did. I said we need Fitz long term and it happened. When Heap was let go I said that would be a great pick up for the Cards, and they got him. Chester Taylor was let go yesterday by the Bears. Although older, I said I wish they would get him, and they just did. Side note two more CB’s just for back-up. I never thought I would be saying this, but hats off Rod and staff for at least hope in a great season.

A-Dub is a beast no doubt he wil knock Cams …. in the dirt.

Go CARDS
    Jason

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: Linebackers

I don’t see them taking a linebacker. More pressing needs right now.

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Chris —

RE: DBs

They are already bringing in DBs to look at.

27. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Bobbo —

RE: Practice squad

I expect that announcement Monday. WR Isaiah Williams is apparently coming back. I wouldn’t be surprised to see guys like OL D.J. Young or NT Ricky Lumpkin.

28. By daniel on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

MAN, i cant WAIT to see A-DUB introduce himself to cam newton sunday !!!!!!!get em.

2. Sep 2, 2011: [Cardinals News] Cardinals Expect SS Adrian Wilson To Play Week 1 Barring Any Setbacks - GridironFans.com
  3. Sep 2, 2011: Wilson Looks Good for the Season Opener in Carolina » Cardinals Gab